Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#200172 - 11/05/06 12:13 PM HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT
To elaborate on the definition from the online dictionary of etymology, the term “idiot” dates from c.1300, "person so mentally deficient as to be incapable of ordinary reasoning," from O.Fr. idiote "uneducated or ignorant person," from L. idiota "ordinary person, layman," in L.L. "uneducated or ignorant person," from Gk. idiotes "layman, person lacking professional skill," lit. "private person," used patronizingly for "ignorant person," from idios "one's own" as in being locked in one’s own mind without reference to an external reality. This is the core of solipsism, stupidity, and ignorance of The Balance Factor.

In Satanism we frequently encounter a specific type of idiot who superficially reads THE SATANIC BIBLE (more often just and article or interview), agrees and identifies with their brief mental snapshot, and proceeds forthwith to assume they are a “natural born Satanist” and everything they think or do is automatically consistent with Satanism.

Usually their mental “arsenal” is more of a dumpster or toybox than an arsenal. They think Satanism is “cool” so in their sloppy inner world, Satanism becomes uncritically identified with anything else their random neural flarings have responded to and identified as “cool.” Thus we have ill-informed Idiots identifying Satanism with the entire spectrum of worthless pop-subcultures, most of which are in direct contradiction to Satanism in substance and form. No matter to The Idiot, as long as he can have his motley half-assed quilt of “cool” bullshit to wrap his feeble little identity in.

Here’s a novel idea; READ THE BOOKS!

This is a demand far exceeding the abilities of the average IDIOT, but I’ll point this out for the very extreme few who are not entirely idiots, or for those who want to make double-dip sure that they aren’t being an Idiot.

There are SEVEN books. That is a tall order for some, but be assured the books are written in clear, direct and non-ambiguous language because they were intended to be understood by the average reader. These are not “esoteric” books. Most of the text is direct and explanitory, written as intended to be understood, not “symbolic” in a way that allows a variety of “interpretations.”

These are the books:

1. THE SATANIC BIBLE by Anton Szandor LaVey
2. THE SATANIC RITUALS by Anton Szandor LaVey
3. THE SATANIC WITCH by Anton Szandor LaVey
4. THE DEVIL’S NOTEBOOK by Anton Szandor LaVey
5. SATAN SPEAKS by Anton Szandor LaVey
6. SECRET LIFE OF A SATANIST by Blanche Barton
7. THE Church of Satan by Blanche Barton

When reading these (or any) book, ask yourself the following questions: What is the book about? How is the book arranged? What is said in each chapter? What arguments are presented? What are the grounds for these arguments or statements? How do these ideas relate to other ideas in the book? How do these books relate to the other books? How to the ideas in these books related to other ideas in the other books? What is being said specifically in each case? What ideas are consistent through all of the books? Etc…….. Ask and answer these questions mentally, or even better, keep a notebook specifically for outlining the content of these books and mapping their relation to each other.

Unfortunately, the real flaming idiots do not have the intellectual ability or stamina to read through this article, much less seven books, or to make sense of them, so they will continue to be an annoyance. But at least those who make the effort to read through these books should be able to recognize what Satanism is actually about, in contrast to the random, ill-informed, and poorly reasoned assertions of IDIOTS.

In the course of this, I’m sure many people will come to realize that they themselves are not Satanists as they once immediately thought. There may be core ideas that many find objectionable, such as elitism, stratification, materialism, responsibility, etc. In which case you have still done yourself a useful service in coming to the realization that YOU ARE NOT A SATANIST, and can stop wasting your own time and ours by trying to insist that you are.

Of course the usual suspects will accuse me of being a grouch, or pedantic, or dogmatic, or unimaginative, ad nauseum. But the fact remains that Satanism is a specific and internally consistent body of thought that is not all-inclusive. Satanism is specific, discriminating, selective, and critical. It is NOT an “anything goes” philosophy.

Anton LaVey went to the trouble of writing his books, maybe you should go to the trouble of actually reading them if you want to call yourself a Satanist.

That is all.

Hail Satan!
~ Svengali
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#200173 - 11/05/06 12:26 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I would love to recommend a book that Magister Svengali also recommended in a different post titled "DEEP SATANISM" which by the way, is a more than worthy read.

Anyways, How To Read A Book by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren. This book will give you a powerful outline as to how you might wish to read such books by Anton LaVey as well as others.

A mighty strong post Magister Svengali.

#200174 - 11/05/06 12:29 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Biff Offline

Loc: Hong Kong, SAR
Well written Magister Svengali, thankyou for your words to the many out there who still need to catch up with their self-identified form of Satanism. I myself have read all the Anton Szandor Lavey books but currently awaiting the arrival of the Church of Satan.

'It's only hubris, if I fail.' - Caesar (HBO's Rome)

HAIL SATAN!

#200175 - 11/05/06 12:30 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Of course the usual suspects will accuse me of being a grouch, or pedantic, or dogmatic, or unimaginative, ad nauseum.

I reckon the usual suspects will fall all over themselves to be the first or the most enthused to say, "Excellent work, Magister! This needed to be said!", and not think for half a second whether it's about THEM.

#200176 - 11/05/06 12:33 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: reprobate]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Quote:

Of course the usual suspects will accuse me of being a grouch, or pedantic, or dogmatic, or unimaginative, ad nauseum.

I reckon the usual suspects will fall all over themselves to be the first or the most enthused to say, "Excellent work, Magister! This needed to be said!", and not think for half a second whether it's about THEM.

YEP, THAT TOO!
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#200177 - 11/05/06 12:36 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: reprobate]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I agree.

#200178 - 11/05/06 12:41 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: reprobate]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Good point

#200179 - 11/05/06 12:43 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:

This is a demand far exceeding the abilities of the average IDIOT, but I’ll point this out for the very extreme few who are not entirely idiots, or for those who want to make double-dip sure that they aren’t being an Idiot.

There are SEVEN books. That is a tall order for some, but be assured the books are written in clear, direct and non-ambiguous language because they were intended to be understood by the average reader. These are not “esoteric” books. Most of the text is direct and explanitory, written as intended to be understood, not “symbolic” in a way that allows a variety of “interpretations.”

These are the books:

Of course an idiot who reads all*****SEVEN****** books is still an idiot.

Edited to avoid any further confusion of my typing error.

"Satanism demands study, not worship".

Edited by Unknown (11/06/06 08:38 AM)

#200180 - 11/05/06 12:46 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Unknown]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Quote:

These are the books:

Of course an idiot who reads all 5 books is still an idiot.

"Satanism demands study, not worship".

SEVEN books.

#200181 - 11/05/06 12:46 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: reprobate]
Biff Offline

Loc: Hong Kong, SAR
Quote:

Quote:

Im sorry if you find me so desperate tripping over to reply to the Magister's post, perhaps a simple compliment or comment would imply to you that I have not spent my time reading and understanding the literature listed above. Very well, I will try and add something productive.

I have learnt much about Satanism from the web resources themselves, such as the essays on the COS website to understand Satanism when applied to a wider range of things. Skimming through the archives the News section you will find many interview clips with the likes of Magus Gilmore and Reverend Malebranche. Go on to youtube and theres some 6/6/06 video interviews with the High Priest and one with the doctor himself. And dust that off with the sources page on the website.

There, I hope Ive helped a bit.

If it takes all the seven books, then I truly am an idiot.

Edited by Biffo0110 (11/05/06 12:49 PM)

'It's only hubris, if I fail.' - Caesar (HBO's Rome)

HAIL SATAN!

#200182 - 11/05/06 12:47 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Oops!

I was typing too fast and hit 5 instead of 7.

Nonetheless, I will be rereading all 7 books again.

Edited by Unknown (11/05/06 01:33 PM)

#200183 - 11/05/06 12:51 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Yes, please, everyone miss the point and quibble to death trying to prove yourselves.

#200184 - 11/05/06 01:08 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Adversary Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
I guess actions will always speak louder than words.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him." - Sun Tzu "Morality is a human invention conferred by the self-serving interests of the sensually impoverished" - Anton Szandor LaVey

#200185 - 11/05/06 01:13 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Another novel idea: READ THEM MORE THAN ONCE.

#200186 - 11/05/06 01:39 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I love to keep a notebook when reading. I got over being embarrassed that it might make me look daft. It just makes it so much easier to digest what I'm reading and flex the arguments on my own. I think reading comprehension really is a muscle that needs to be trained and kept fit.

Quote:

Anton LaVey went to the trouble of writing his books, maybe you should go to the trouble of actually reading them if you want to call yourself a Satanist.

This, honestly, never occurred to me. I'd be one of those that have not read all of the books. And now it just seems rude and disrespectful, let alone idiotic, to call oneself a Satanist and not have read the books!

Thank you, Magister. In hindsight, it kind of feels like you were pointing out the obvious but for me, at least, it had to be said. I think it's time for me to get off this messageboard and go read.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404438 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements