Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#200232 - 11/09/06 02:50 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Ryce Offline

Loc: London, ON, Canada
I've read this entire forum and it seems really tense. When it comes to philosophical arguements with those who have much more experience and knowledge than me I can accept that I may be considered an "Idiot". But I think Svengali may be coming down a bit hard on us idiots and misjudging us. I'd like to point out that part of being an idiot is learning to become smarter. I'm going to admit that I've only read 1 book which is the Satanic Bible, but that doesn't mean that's all that I intend to read. Where I live it's very hard to find the other 6 books, I searched Chapters and I was unfortunate enough to find shelves of Wicca and a bunch of other shit. I'd also like to point out I don't have a credit card to go online and buy and of these books, nor would any relatives buy them for me as they don't apporove of me "worshiping The Devil." I'd like to say that your essay didn't have much of an effect on me as I already planned on buying the other books and I'm sure some other "idiots" are the same. In fact I believe that some of us "idiots" have much more potential than that of those who have read all 7 books as I'm sure there are many people out there who have read those books just so they aren't considered an idiot and yet are still using the name satanist just to seem "cool" or whatever, just extending it to be accepted among other satanists. I'd like to say nice philosophy on idiots Svengali and a lot of "idiots" did need to read it but your completely misjudging the other population of those who lack knowledge but seek it.

P.S I know that there's going to be some smartass remark of me just trying to cover up being an idiot but I dont care as I believe what I've just said needed to be said, but that's just me.

#200233 - 11/09/06 02:53 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Did you really think this out, or just feel a knee-jerk reaction because you've not read the books yet? I don't suppose it occurred to you that you're just missing the point.

Or maybe you're an idiot. Your call.

Speaking of which, make your introductory post please.

#200234 - 11/09/06 02:58 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Ryce Offline

I did think it out, I'm not being a jerk because I haven't read the books, I just recently got a job so It'll be alot easier for me to find them. I was just saying that there are basically 3 types of "idiots". Those who are looking for a name, those who hypocritically fall short themselves and those who seek knowledge.

#200235 - 11/09/06 03:02 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Either you did not read the original post or you did not understand it.

Either way it was very telling how quickly you chose to identify with idiots.

Amazing.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#200236 - 11/09/06 03:04 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Ryce Offline

I apologize, I shall read it again.

#200237 - 11/09/06 03:16 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Ryce Offline

As I said before, I intended on reading the books before and I still do, until then I shall consider myself an Idiot in training as I never intended to use Satanism as an outlet to be "cool". Until next time, Ryce.

#200238 - 11/09/06 03:19 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Maybe it didn't occur to you that being in a state of temporary ignorance but seeking to correct it doesn't make you an idiot.

I didn't say you're being a jerk, I said you're being reactionary. You read this, felt like it applied to you, and jumped to counter it. You're arguing a point you don't have to make. That, not the fact that you've not yet read the books, is what isn't so smart.

#200239 - 11/09/06 03:36 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Quote:

I'd also like to point out I don't have a credit card to go online and buy and of these books

From Amazon.com's website:

Amazon.com accepts American Express, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, Eurocard, Visa, Visa Check Cards, Amazon.com gift certificates, payment directly from your bank account, and checks, money orders, or cashier's checks denominated in U.S. dollars and drawn on a U.S. bank.

Now, for the rest of your excuses-

The Satanic Rituals

The Satanic Witch

The Devil's Notebook

Satan Speaks

The Secret Life of a Satanist

The Church of Satan

No more excuses. You have reading to do. Now go away.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#200240 - 11/09/06 07:02 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

In fact I believe that some of us "idiots" have much more potential than that of those who have read all 7 books

Prove it. Catch up. Don't say, "Don't be hard on idiots." Just stop being an idiot.

#200241 - 11/09/06 07:07 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: reprobate]
Ryce Offline

As i said I JUST got a job, i dont get money for about 15 days...until then i'll have to put up with it but that doesn't mean I cant read online essays and whatnot...I feel supported..in a weird way..Thanks?

#200242 - 11/09/06 07:47 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Maybe it didn't occur to you that being in a state of temporary ignorance but seeking to correct it doesn't make you an idiot.

Indeed.

One who learns from their mistakes and vows to never let it happen again is a wise soul.

If one is truly sorry for a mistake they have made they will not repeat it again. (Or damn well try not to).

As LaVey himself said in the SB, if you repeat your mistakes you are not truly sorry.

Time will tell on this one.

Simple observation.

I read this essay a while back and did not want to join on the band-wagon with praise, or scorn.

I found it informative (most people with one ounce of intellect would already be aware that reading of said materials is a key essential in regards to greater understanding).

Be that as it may, I did not find your post offensive, rude or inate.

I did however, find it quite sad that you had to pen it in the first place.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#200243 - 11/09/06 08:01 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Virus9]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

Virus9, you are too kind.

I can see that Amazon is being hit right now with an abundance of orders for the books listed by Magister Svengali. Whilst there are exceptions, those who are not idiots will have already sought out these books and others of their own initiative. Otherwise, purchase of these books because 'they were told to' is pointless as whilst they are wonderful works, they do not have the power to rid people of their idiocy.

This is what I like about Magister Svengali's post. Those who need to take most note of his post in this instance should not bother because they will not benefit anyway.

Edited by BrehtJB (11/09/06 08:13 AM)

#200244 - 11/09/06 08:25 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Again you seem to have missed the point.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#200245 - 11/09/06 09:10 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Fine. Don't expect us to give you full credit in the meantime.

#200246 - 11/09/06 10:04 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Serua Offline

Of course the usual suspects will accuse me of being a grouch, or pedantic, or dogmatic, or unimaginative, ad nauseum. (quote)

It is better to be thought of as pedantic than to be proved to be a pedant fool. :P

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406366 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements