Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#200247 - 11/09/06 12:48 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Settle down, no one said you were an idiot, you did that yourself.

You're simply misunderstanding the term "idiot." What you're describing is called ignorance.

Ignorance isn't necessarily a bad thing, provided you're willing to correct the situation when that ignorance is highlighted. No one is born knowing everything, that's what education is for. Education doesn't end, it's an ongoing process for the rest of your life.

As for the rest, there's no need to inform everyone that you haven't read all the material, that will become blatantly obvious as you continue to interact here.

You've been given some good advice, now stop making excuses and start making solutions.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#200248 - 11/09/06 02:00 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: IX Von ZehEhv]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Whilst there are exceptions, those who are not idiots will have already sought out these books and others of their own initiative.

I'll agree that this one in particular doesn't seem to clever. I simply sought to rid it of its excuses rather than feed its masochistic impulse. In doing so I gave it a perfect opportunity to prove it's not an idiot.

Somehow I'm not surprised that it can't even be bothered to thank me.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#200249 - 11/09/06 05:27 PM Ignorance vs. Idiocy [Re: Poetaster]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

Ignorance isn't necessarily a bad thing, provided you're willing to correct the situation when that ignorance is highlighted. No one is born knowing everything, that's what education is for. Education doesn't end, it's an ongoing process for the rest of your life.

I have one quick thought to add to this, regarding the acceptability of ignorance.

I am completely ignorant of how to rebuild a transmission. Wouldn't even know how to get the blasted thing out of the car in the first place, much less start disassembling it. This is not an insult against myself; it's a simple fact. I also have no plans to change this situation -- I'm content to live with ignorance on this topic until such time as I feel I need (or want) the knowledge.

Idiocy, on the other hand, would be for me to go find an auto mechanics' discussion forum and start loudly proclaiming opinions on the subject, based only on my own guesses about what the inside of a transmission might look like.

-Chess

#200250 - 11/09/06 06:57 PM Re: Ignorance vs. Idiocy [Re: Chess]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Quite a point, and one that I completely agree with.

I should have added that distinction within the body of my own reply.

Ignorance of something you have absolutely no interest in isn't idiocy, but rather selective discrimination. There's really no need for me to learn how to fly a plane, because I'm afraid of heights, so I don't fly anyway, let alone think about flying a plane myself.

I'd say it's relative to the things you're interested in and the things that directly or indirectly affect your life. Of course, like you said, if I were going to start discussing the mechanics of flying with a pilot, I had better know what I'm talking about, or then I'm just an idiot.

Edited by AmbientLogic (11/09/06 06:59 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#200251 - 11/09/06 06:59 PM Re: Ignorance vs. Idiocy [Re: Chess]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
THAT is getting the point of my post.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
ďA membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.Ē -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#200252 - 11/09/06 10:09 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Virus9]
Ryce Offline

Loc: London, ON, Canada
I believe I did infact say the word thanks. And I really do thank you virus as I had no idea i'd be able to just use a simple debt card on Amazon. As soon as I am payed and the money is readily available in my bank account I'll be paying a visit to Amazon. Although alot of things directed at me in this forum are harsh I respect it and I appreciate the criticism.(See I'm learning already!) Thanks guys.

#200253 - 11/09/06 10:51 PM Re: Ignorance vs. Idiocy [Re: Svengali]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

THAT is getting the point of my post.

Thank you, sir.

-Chess

#200254 - 11/10/06 03:05 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Ryce]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

I believe I did infact say the word thanks.

I stand corrected. I do miss things from time to time, but not much and not often.

About the harsh treatment, it not that all of us think you won't improve. It's just that we've seen enough idiots come and go to realize that it's statistically unlikely.

You're more than welcome to try to beat the odds.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#200255 - 11/10/06 03:32 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Virus9]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Don't hold your breath.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
ďA membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.Ē -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#200256 - 11/10/06 03:43 AM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Svengali]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Why would I hold my breath when it's up to him to sink or swim?

Perhaps when I invited him to play the odds I should've included a little remider.

The house always wins.

-Lewis Lapham

-Winston Churchill

#200257 - 11/11/06 07:54 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

Quote:

I was being sarcastic.

You gave more to me the impression of being obnoxious. Sarcasms are usually written in one statement or, at most two. Just an observation....

#200258 - 11/11/06 08:01 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: luciferHammer]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

I think everyone but you got the sarcasm.

- Sam Harris

#200259 - 11/11/06 08:40 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Poetaster]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

So I'm different. Since, as I understood, many COS members don't post up there because of the low quality of the posts, I'm quite happy to be different....

#200260 - 11/11/06 08:47 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: luciferHammer]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

That's one way to look at it.

- Sam Harris

#200261 - 11/12/06 11:30 PM Re: HOW NOT TO BE AN IDIOT [Re: Virus9]
Ryce Offline

Loc: London, ON, Canada
And I will attempt to beat the odds. As I said I got into Satanism not for the name but for the reason anybody should get into it, for the philosophy. I never once from the start intended to pickup the bible, match myself with everything that is said and then call myself a satanist. I once again thank Virus9 for the support and I will infact dive deeper into Satanism.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements