Topic Options
#201305 - 11/09/06 07:52 PM LaVey/CoS and Drug Use
MagistraNadramia Offline

CoS HighPriestess

Loc: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
Lately I've come across a lot of propaganda by those who would have you believe that Anton LaVey tolerated the use of illegal street drugs among his friends and associates, that he had "no problem" with people around him shooting up, getting high, losing control, and abdicating responsibility.

When somebody tries to convince you that Anton LaVey "secretly" held beliefs and opinions that were in contradiction to the writings he continued to produce during his entire adult life, it's time to get out a barrel of salt, not merely a grain.

Conveniently, LaVey was interviewed countless times and his statements on this subject are consistent, leaving no need for you to be hoodwinked by con artists with their own agendas to push.

The following excerpt is from the Alameda County Weekender, February 12, 1966. I'm including a scan of the page for good measure.

"...At any rate, there is no doubt that the manufacture of love potions (above) and their drinking (below) is very nearly as old as love itself. As to what goes into them, aside from a large dose of suggestion, that is one of the secrets of the profession. LaVey, however, does not hesitate to point out that nothing narcotic is among the ingredients. In fact, the use of any narcotics has no place in magic as LaVey sees it. 'It is true that drugs have been used in magic and in certain religious practices and still are by some,' he says. 'The use of the peyote ritual in certain Indian churches -- and which has been recently adjudged legal -- is an example. But for our purposes the use of drugs would be definitely harmful.' How serious he is on this point is shown by his attitude on LSD. 'Like opium, marijuana, heroin and so forth, it ought to be shunned like the plague' -- an interesting observation in view of some of his paintings which, despite a definite beauty, are so macabre that they look like the production of a Left Bank artist who had subsisted for weeks on a diet of absinthe and laudanum."

Attachments
382860-AntiDrug.jpg (1462 downloads)

Magistra Peggy Nadramia

Please email me with your membership questions - PMs may not be answered.
www.churchofsatan.com
HPNadramia@churchofsatan.com

#201306 - 11/09/06 08:28 PM Re: LaVey/CoS and Drug Use [Re: MagistraNadramia]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Indeed! Thank you for this post!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#201307 - 11/09/06 08:46 PM Re: LaVey/CoS and Drug Use [Re: MagistraNadramia]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Excellent!

This is a point that deserves to be beaten to death, beaten into the ground, then dug up and beaten in again, and again, and again.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#201308 - 11/09/06 10:23 PM Re: LaVey/CoS and Drug Use [Re: MagistraNadramia]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Good. Another club for me to beat the morons with when they try to explain to me that LaVey advocated illegal activity.

#201309 - 12/26/06 02:54 AM Thank you again. [Re: MagistraNadramia]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
In a sense it all comes down to this.

Anton LaVey was a street smart and very wise man.

He was not a fool.

He was not a slave to his passions.

Drugs are for slaves.

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405206 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements