Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20277 - 01/11/04 12:56 AM Baptism - your opinions please
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know theres a thread related to Baptism but not exactly the same as this.
------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have to admit that the term Baptism is very offensive "to me" I relate it with the xian rituals and cant seem to shake it out of my head. I was never raped of my purity and I am very very grateful to my parents for that. Thats not exactly the issue here though. Its simply the word and definition. Here is the definition I got from Hyperdictionary.com

-------------------------------------
Definition: [n] a Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth; "most churches baptize infants but some insist on adult baptism"
-------------------------------------

Now everyone is very familiar with the satanic baptism we have in TSR. Why was it deemed a "Baptism" and not something else maybe an "Rite of Admittance" which to me would be way less intrussive title "no association of the definition". I dont in anyway view ours as a baptism in any way shape or form it truly just is not a baptism "to me". Does anyone feel as I do about this? And If you dont exactly feel the same... do you understand where Im going with this? Im opening this to your personal opinions..please. This has bothered me a great deal ever since I read it. The only thing that made any sense to me was to think that it was called this on purpose as defiance or mockery I dont know. I know its just a word but it burns deep with more than just myself Im sure. My intention is not to start a battle but for myself and others that feel the same to get a better understanding so we can see the reason for this and possibly accept that reason and turn this negative to a positive.

Thank you in advance for you feedback,

~B~

#20278 - 01/11/04 01:00 AM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The reason we use the term is the same reason we are a Church.

Most people do not have the same hang up. You might simply take that at face value.

#20279 - 01/11/04 01:06 AM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
The etymological root of "baptism" is the Greek word, "to bathe" or "to dip in water".

The Church of Satan's rite makes oblique reference to the Judeo-Christian rite. I think it's fair to say that the symbol of water and its application transcends that particular religion, though. The ocean, after all, was never Jehovah's, but Dagon's.

#20280 - 01/11/04 01:24 AM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since Satanism uses some opposites from Christianity as well as whatever popular religion the herd gravitates towards, it makes sense and is appropriate when Dr. LaVey used such supposed "Christian" terms as "Church", "Altar", "Satan", and "Baptism" in his new religion. In effort to de-throne the "enthroned lies" he used these terms to both help crystalize the religion and philosophy and to illustrate better ways that humans who choose to be their own gods and acknowledge their carnal nature can practice a more "true" religion.
Anton LaVey was asked many times (as I read from his books) "Why call it Satanism?" and probably even your question "Why don't you call Baptism something less connected with Christianity?"
I think the point in both cases was to not only attract attention...but also to leave an unforgettable mark on society and hopefully (to the right people) teach a lesson.
I personally have no problem calling it a "Satanic Baptism" simply because it's effective and produces results! The same way saying "I'm a Satanist" to yourself or others proves to both that there's nothing to be afraid of!
But I realize there will always be those who will always feel uneasy about words and semantics. And to them, I just have to laugh...because I know they'll most likely never get it!

#20281 - 01/11/04 01:48 AM Re: Baptism - your opinions please [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know its annoying but I answered my own question.....

I guess the best thing would of been to have asked Lavey personally since hes the only one that would of been able to answer this question and it would just be the reason and not opinions. I know its opnions I asked for but maybe I should of thought a bit harder before I asked a question that really just cant be answered unless you had asked him yourself or it was indeed documented somewhere that someone else did.

Thanks anyway's everyone,

~B~

#20282 - 01/11/04 01:55 AM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Then I take it you would object in a similar way to The Black Mass?

Christianity is no more relevant to the actual practice of Satanism than any other religion. We take the pieces which we find useful, and discard the rest. Baptism is essentially an initiation rite in the Christian religion(s). We simply adapt it to suit our own needs. Further, a 'Baptism' into the Church of Satan is certainly not compulsory, as it is in other religions.

An initiation ceremony from ANY religion could be adapted for the same purpose.

In America, where we are surrounded by Christianity and are likely familiar with the proceedings to some degree, an adaptation or inversion of a Christian rite may simply be more emotionally resonant for some people. For others, it may seem completely beside the point.

Regardless, the use of or reference to Christian imagery is not threatening enough to be 'offensive'. It simply is. An emotional connection can be exploited, but it shouldn't be allowed to overwhelm the rational - at least outside the ritual chamber.

#20283 - 01/11/04 02:23 AM Re: Baptism - your opinions please [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont object to any of the above. I am very fond of the Black Mass and all of the rites etc. My main purpose of the post was to find an explaination of the use of the words. Nothing more. I figured pretty much what everyone is saying was going to be the deal... it seems obvious but the question still was not rested in my mind. So .... I asked. Like I had said in a previous reply... I feel I jumped the gun on the question all together simply because unless the question was directly asked to Lavey and documented than it just cant be answered to satisfy me.

~B~

#20284 - 01/11/04 01:01 PM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
I feel I jumped the gun on the question all together simply because unless the question was directly asked to Lavey and documented than it just cant be answered to satisfy me.

Then I guess you're permanently out of luck.

Seriously, I think there are many people here qualified (more than myself) to address concerns of this type. This was kind of a simple question that seems answerable by anyone with a thorough understanding of Satanism.

Anyway, my point was that I couldn't understand why you would object to the use or inversion of one Christian ritual and not another.

I have one more pretty obvious answer for you. When Dr. LaVey was promoting and developing The Church of Satan in the late 1960s and early 1970s... he was courting public attention, playing a cultural trickster (no doubt benefitting from the increased attention in the form of sales of TSB and TSR - and of course self-aggrandizement IS philosophically consistent with Satanism).

What makes a better headline in America (one likely to tittilate a largely Christian public and delight Satanists)...

'Satanist performs Satanic Baptism'...or...
'Satanist performs Initiation Rite'?

Perhaps this is an issue of Lesser Magic as well as Greater Magic.

#20285 - 01/11/04 02:13 PM Smoke and Mirrors
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

Something else to think about...the reason "they" use it, in my opinion, is the psychological effect on the participant(s). Pomp and pageantry can help solidify commitment (at the least celebrate it). This is basic stuff.

#20286 - 01/11/04 03:35 PM Possibly Off-topic.
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Okay.

So if I understand this right, the Christians borrowed all the old pagan traditions and turned them into Christian ceremony. So in essense they perverted what was once "holy" and "sacred". Those pagans inevitably did the same thing to an earlier religion.

Then along comes Anton LaVey and perverts the Christian's perversion, of a pagan's perversion, of an ancient pagan sacred ritual.

Something to think about.

Anyway.

The purpose of all the so-called sacrelige is to stimulate strong emotions within you. Most of us have been exposed to the Christian dogma, so when "defiling" those traditions, it can bring out strong emotions. These very same emotions fuel magic, strong feelings of guilt, lust, anger, frustration, sadness, and joy all set up that bioelectrical alchemy that brings about results.

When you experience such strong emotion that it over-rides your intellect, you have harnessed magic.

Edited by Felstorm (01/11/04 03:36 PM)

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#20287 - 01/11/04 04:50 PM Re: Possibly Off-topic. [Re: Felstorm]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>Then along comes Anton LaVey and perverts the Christian's
>perversion, of a pagan's perversion, of an ancient pagan
>sacred ritual.
>
>Something to think about.

Yes, but it's at least admitted as a redundancy. To quote The Satanic Bible: "A black mass is essentially a parody of the religious service of the Roman Catholic Church, but can be loosely applied to a satire on any religious ceremony. To the Satanist, the black mass, in its blaspheming of orthodox rites, is nothing more than a redundancy. The services of all established religions are actually parodies of old rituals performed by the worshippers of the earth and the flesh."

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#20288 - 01/11/04 06:39 PM Re: Baptism - your opinions please [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps this is an issue of Lesser Magic as well as Greater Magic.

Excellent point. A true Satanist always backs up his Greater Magic with Lesser Magic. It takes a Satanist to know the workings of one so I guess that proves something about yourself too, sir.

#20289 - 01/11/04 06:49 PM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree with what everyone's had to say, especially about getting the public attention. You quoted the definition of baptism from a dictionary. Is the definition there partially what gets you? You must remember language is always changing and evolving, remember when they added Homer's "doh!" to the dictionary and there was a time when the only meaning for the word cool was in reference to the weather. Using the word baptism was brilliant and got attention.

#20290 - 01/11/04 09:44 PM Re: Smoke and Mirrors [Re: Caesar]
Anonymous
Unregistered

#20291 - 01/11/04 10:49 PM Re: Baptism - your opinions please
C_D_McKinna Offline
CoS Member

Loc: San Diego, CA
My main purpose of the post was to find an explaination of the use of the words.

I'm really having a difficult time understanding why you don't see this.

Have you ever considered that the reason the word "Baptism" is used, is the same reason that Dr. LaVey decided to call this orginazation a "Church?"

"Well done is better than well said"

- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements