Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203550 - 11/20/06 11:19 PM Membership fees?
Dyne Offline

I'm of legal age to join the Church of Satan (18) and everything is in order. It sounds great. Then, I learn that there is a one time two-hundred dollar membership fee? What is this? I thought Satanists denounce Christianity's hypocrisies in every way possible. Why should I be forced to pay my hard earned money to follow a religion? The Christians have been doing this for thousands of years, in the form of tithes. Is this just another way to suck dry the wallets of a religious following?

After seeing this, I thought, "nah, they must be shitting me. It's to turn away the scene-kids and posers. It's a test." Then, I learn that without this piece of red paper one can't speak with other Satanists? I could even be charged to produce ID at any given moment on the street if a cult member thinks I'm lying? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they forced you to show the card at the door if you plan on attending a festival or a ritual.

Perhaps I haven't read enough into this. Can someone explain to me exactly why I'd want to fork over my money for a religious tithe? I didn't do it when my Christian friend talked me into coming to his gathering, and I'm not going to do it to carry a CARD just to prove to some skeptics I'm one of the "group." It's a religion, not high school, right?

#203551 - 11/20/06 11:59 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Then don't.

You're not required to join the Church of Satan to be a Satanist, or even to call yourself one with full authority. In your self-righteous anger, did you bother to read the whole thing, or did you just automatically assume that we're claiming a monopoly on Satanism and you must buy in?

Membership in the Church of Satan is for those who want to take a more active role. The fee is not just a filter...do you suppose international organizations with thousands of members in dozens of countries just run themselves on magical willpower? No, no chance of there being any overhead with that.

It's a one time processing fee, not dues, not tithing, nor even an imposing sum (compare to lifetime membership fees in other organizations, for example the NRA).

Incidentally...$200 is a tenth of your yearly income? That's what a tithe means. If so, maybe you should be thinking about correcting that rather than joining any organization.

#203552 - 11/21/06 05:21 AM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
LTalionis Offline

CoS Magister

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

#203553 - 11/21/06 01:08 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Quote:

Why should I be forced to pay my hard earned money to follow a religion?

1. Forced? Did the Satanic Brown-shirts or the Occult IRS show up at your door bearing weapons? Did Lucifer start garnering your paycheck?
I get so bored by the outraged.

2. If you are as able to read as you are to spew (rarely the case, I've noticed, but worth a shot) you will see unending reminders that no one need be a member to consider themselves a Satanist.

Quote:

After seeing this, I thought, "nah, they must be shitting me. It's to turn away the scene-kids and posers. It's a test." Then, I learn that without this piece of red paper one can't speak with other Satanists? I could even be charged to produce ID at any given moment on the street if a cult member thinks I'm lying? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they forced you to show the card at the door if you plan on attending a festival or a ritual.

1. To be "allowed" to speak to other Satanists? The point is that other Satanists may not want to hear from you! No one is preventing you from making contact with Satanists or CoS Members. They are saying that without verifiable credentials we won't help you. Why should we? You are just a name who has shown no inclination to bond through our chosen method, and are even coming close to ridiculing those of us who have.

2. Damn Right we demand card scans for verifications at formal CoS events. You want to play the game, pay the ante.

If you are a Satanist, nothing we could do could stop you. If you aren't, no amount of monsy can make you one. The CoS is an organization in the real world where real things cost real money. You come to us, we do not proseltyze. Join or don't, but those of us who know agree with such adages as getting what one pays for, and that membership has its priveleges.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#203554 - 11/21/06 01:24 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
You mean thats all I got 15 years ago was a little red card?

I've been duped!!!!

I want my money back!!!!!

Don't affiliate. Idiot.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#203555 - 11/21/06 08:23 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Dyne Offline

All right, I apologize for my ignorance. Not really much I can say to make up for it, as it was my blindness and likewise my fault. All I ask is that you understand where I was coming from. I believe strongly in the philosophies of Satanism and (wrongly) thought that it became some sort of Big Business cash-siphon. Thank you for the enlightening me on the subject, however. I'll do my best not to jump to conclusions in the future.

#203556 - 11/21/06 09:09 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Ygraine]
Dyne Offline

"Consider themselves." Meaning I'm not really a Satanist, and no one will accept me as one, but I can pretend to be one in my head. Christians have a similar tactic; "baptism." If you're not baptized (which, in their defense is free) they won't consider you a true Christian but will let you think you are.

This is reverse psychology, and I won't be fooled by it. You may not be able to literally 'force' me to purchase the card, but why would I want to purchase it if I'm going to be shunned for not doing so? It's social force as opposed to legal ones.

Please tell me if I'm being too uptight about the whole thing. I may be a stranger, but my questions are perfectly legimate ones. $200, yar, may not be a whole lot of money, but why would someone who questions everything, and the moral character of everyone (myself, I mean) simply throw any amount of money at anything before making sure it's legimate? I only want my doubts to be erased, and I'll ask to be treated with a certain amount of humor, all though I did not give the same charity to begin with (for which I am truly sorry.)

Edited by Dyne (11/21/06 09:15 PM)

#203557 - 11/21/06 09:17 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

You are being too uptight. It has all been explained in clear terms. You are not needed, and neither is your money.

And there is something else you are not saying....an underlying agenda.....hmmm.....

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#203558 - 11/21/06 09:25 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Phineas]
Dyne Offline

It HAS been explained in clear terms, and I thank you for this. I understand the whole situation. What, praytell, may my other agenda be? Originally I came to ask about the need for a fee, and I was answered with scorn and frustration.

#203559 - 11/21/06 09:33 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

It HAS been explained in clear terms

But has it been understood?

If it has been understood, then why continue with this merry-go-round?

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#203560 - 11/21/06 09:34 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Phineas]
Dyne Offline

I can't prove that it's been understood. You'll have to decide whether I've comprehended it or not. But your last statement is correct, let it end here.

#203561 - 11/21/06 09:46 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Look chief, why are you asking us to make a special case of justifying this to you? You have our literature, our offical website, this forum with a horde of CoS members right here, and links to dozens of member's personal pages and projects, all for free. What more do you want? You can make up your mind without us having to hold your hand.

#203562 - 11/21/06 09:54 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Dyne Offline

Sorry, but I saw nothing in the rules that said 'asking questions about the Church of Satan in the "Questions about the Church of Satan" was a crime.' I never once asked someone to hold my hand, and this whole discussion will only deteriorate until I get banned if continued any futher.

#203563 - 11/21/06 10:03 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

this whole discussion will only deteriorate until I get banned if continued any futher.

Secret wish, perhaps?

#203564 - 11/21/06 10:20 PM Re: Membership fees? [Re: Dyne]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You do realize that your major problem is your consistently defensive attitude, right?

Nor are you being honest. You didn't just ask a question about the Church of Satan, now did you? You did so with inclusion of derogatory implication and an intentionally condescending tone, and you know it.

Do you want to be banned, or are you simply aware that your actions are out of line but find you're unable to control yourself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406009 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements