Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#204740 - 11/28/06 06:04 PM Re: A splendid de facto Satanist. [Re: Incubus]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

I don't think kids need to be taught to enjoy torturing guinea pigs if they're so inclined, but perhaps they do need to be taught to hate and fear certain ethnic or social groups in particular.

Why?

#204741 - 11/28/06 07:01 PM Re: A splendid de facto Satanist. [Re: Zaftig]
Incubus Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
You know what? I'm not sure. Now that I think about it, I don't have any evidence to support the notion one way or the other. I just remember some kids in school who seemed "naturally" predatory and heedless of punishment from teachers. But I suppose they could have learned that behavior from their parents or siblings.
"The might of aithęr chases it into the sea, sea spits it out onto solid ground, earth spits it up into rays of the radiant sun and sun hurls it into the whirlpools of aithęr. One receives it from another, then another from another, and they all hate it. This is the way that I too am now going, an exile from the gods and a wanderer, placing my trust in mad Strife."

-Empedocles (c.490 - 430 BCE)

#204742 - 11/28/06 07:24 PM Re: Dawkins at his very best... [Re: Virus9]
Varg_Gorgon Offline
Banned

Loc: Canada
Wow, a really stimulating discussion they had there. Some amussing things like that bit about 'that which is comfort, and that which is true,' one'd have to agree that many people seem unable to grasp the essential difference between those concepts. Other interesting part was that guy who went on to argue that it's because one believes that a ball can bounce; that he's seeing professor Dawkins in front of him because he believe so... Reminds of an Internet debate I had with some 16-year-old christian kid, I'd never thought university level students would make such arguments (we experience the world through our senses, should these senses be disturbed by the use of drugs that experience just changes, it's modified, but it's still accurate so far as our senses are concerned).

Thanks for sharing, eh?

Edited by Varg_Gorgon (11/28/06 07:44 PM)

#204743 - 11/28/06 07:59 PM Re: A splendid de facto Satanist. [Re: Incubus]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I think she was asking about this part:

Quote:

perhaps they do need to be taught to hate and fear certain ethnic or social groups in particular

... because it's ambiguous. I think lexiphanic took you to be saying that kids should be taught to hate and fear. You could also be saying, if they are going to wind up hating or fearing, they would have to have been taught it.

#204744 - 11/28/06 08:20 PM Re: A splendid de facto Satanist. [Re: reprobate]
Incubus Offline

Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear enough.

I don't condone teaching kids to hate. I meant to say that parents who hate teach their kids to do the same. I've seen films of KKK rallies where the participants take their kids, for example.
"The might of aithęr chases it into the sea, sea spits it out onto solid ground, earth spits it up into rays of the radiant sun and sun hurls it into the whirlpools of aithęr. One receives it from another, then another from another, and they all hate it. This is the way that I too am now going, an exile from the gods and a wanderer, placing my trust in mad Strife."

#204745 - 11/28/06 08:30 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I am not very scientifically minded probably more science fiction minded than anything

Sounds like it. Again, just because you think you know what is best for nature doesn't mean you do. In fact, you probably don't.

Evolutionarily speaking, if the "intelligent elite" are so lacking in reproductive urge that they are totally overrun by the readily reproducing idiot masses, then they deserve to be stamped out from the gene pool. Simple as that.

#204746 - 11/28/06 08:30 PM Re: A splendid de facto Satanist. [Re: Incubus]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Thank you for clearing that up. Reprobate was correct, your phrasing was unclear.

#204747 - 11/28/06 08:41 PM Re: A splendid de facto Satanist. [Re: Zaftig]
Incubus Offline

Thanks for giving me a chance to clear it up. Dumb mistake on my part.

#204748 - 11/28/06 08:50 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

It seems like I have been programmed by the media into thinking that only calamity can come from tampering with nature. I realize of course that I am not very scientifically minded probably more science fiction minded than anything.

Nah. The science-fiction-minded folks are aware that simple "monster destroys its creator as symbolic punishment for tampering with nature" stories haven't been in vogue since the 1920s.

-Chess

#204749 - 11/29/06 12:13 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
It seems like I have been programmed by the media into thinking that only calamity can come from tampering with nature.

You seriously think that? Then why are you using the internet or enjoying cooked food? Both are products from tampering with nature.

Godzilla is knocking on your front door.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#204750 - 11/29/06 01:13 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Discipline]
Groundhog Offline

I'm just a cog in the wheel, an insignificant little blurp on the screen. I love Godzilla. Come to me Godzilla and let me pet you on your nose.

#204751 - 11/29/06 01:17 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
No one can tame Godzilla!

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#204752 - 11/29/06 01:32 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
Quote:

I'm just a cog in the wheel, an insignificant little blurp on the screen.

If that's where you like to be, then don't f*cking complain about it!
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#204753 - 11/29/06 01:54 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Danny Mc.]
Groundhog Offline

That's what most people are. At least I know what I am. Who is more than that? There are some people who are. I will respect your right to tell me you don't want to hear my complaints.

#204754 - 11/29/06 02:08 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

That's what most people are.

You imply that is resonable justification for your conclusion.

Quote:

Who is more than that?

I am.

What did you think being your own god meant?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406027 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements