Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#204755 - 11/29/06 02:16 AM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
Quote:

That's what most people are. At least I know what I am.

If you like to be considered with most people, then good luck!

Quote:

Who is more than that? There are some people who are.

You will do well to keep hope in yourself. Satanists would never talk like this.

Again good luck!
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#204756 - 11/29/06 03:44 AM Re: Dawkins at his very best... [Re: Virus9]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Thanks for sharing this. I really do enjoy watching Dawkins explain his theories. I especially like it when he was asked about the existance of critical thinking he replied with a question as to why there was such a lack of critical thinking.

Dawkins certainly knows his material. I was quite pleased how he and the theists present were able to converse quite intelligently and how he had a very logical explanation for every scenario they presented to him. In my own personal experience, most theists are die-hard and can't debate in such a gentle manner as they did with him.

Watching this video has made me want to pick up a copy of The God Delusion for myself. I've only browsed through other's copies and never really had a chance to sit and read it for myself. I have had the pleasure of reading articles featuring him and have seen him on television before. I really like his viewpoints on science vs. theism.

I noticed he likes to refer to himself as a defacto atheist. I'd certainly view him as a defacto of a different color.

Also, I noticed this video ended partially through the presentation, is there another video of the remainder of the presentation?

Edited by xDravenx (11/29/06 03:45 AM)

#204757 - 11/29/06 09:42 AM Re: Dawkins at his very best... [Re: Mr_47]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
It is not hard to have answer of the top of your head for theists. Most of my answers include, "That is a silly argument. So silly it does not deserve a response."

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#204758 - 11/29/06 10:33 AM Re: Dawkins at his very best... [Re: Mr_47]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Dawkins certainly knows his material. I was quite pleased how he and the theists present were able to converse quite intelligently and how he had a very logical explanation for every scenario they presented to him. In my own personal experience, most theists are die-hard and can't debate in such a gentle manner as they did with him.

Actually, I do not think the theists handled themselves well at all. They were repeatedly fumbling over their words which I am sure was in part just nervousness. Based on some of the remarks by Dawkins it was apparent that that some of them really didn’t listen to his original speech, suggesting that they weren’t listening objectively. And I think the only reason they didn’t throw a hissy fit was because they were intimidated by him and weren’t really given an opportunity to retort.

It really wasn’t a debate as the questioners weren’t able to respond back to the answers they were given. I am sure that if they were in private, where they would feel more comfortable they would have acted like the typical nutcases your familiar with.

One professor mentioned that he brought his students there just so they could observe an atheist, like Dr. Dawkins was a fucking specimen in lab. They weren’t there to see if he had anything say that might actually hold a shred of truth. They had made up their minds that they felt he was full of shit before even going; how completely disrespectful. Well, maybe the professor isn’t an accurate representation of his class as a whole but, the professor was rather rude.

Dr. Dawkins held himself with class and dignity but, I cannot say the same for some of his audience.

The Temple | The Elite

#204759 - 11/29/06 12:18 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Drimlybunk]
Groundhog Offline

You said: "What did you think being your own god meant? " It would mean to me evolution. I need to evolve into my own God. I am in the process of that. I didn't start with a very God-like beginning. I am coming out of some hard times and maybe I'm just supposed to all of a sudden be my own God. OK, I just don't feel like I'm a womderful God right now and I think I'll know when the transition occurs. I need to read and study more to be where I will be comfortable making such a claim for myself.

#204760 - 11/29/06 12:21 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Danny Mc.]
Groundhog Offline

I am progressing toward becoming what I want. It takes time to read and educate yourself.

#204761 - 11/29/06 01:29 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
I need to evolve into my own God

If you need to evolve into being your own god, then you are in the wrong place.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#204762 - 11/29/06 01:41 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Virus9]
Groundhog Offline

Virus9,
I don't think so because I want to be stronger etc. I am sincerely interested in learning.

#204763 - 11/29/06 02:11 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Carkosa Offline

Quote:

You said: "What did you think being your own god meant? " It would mean to me evolution. I need to evolve into my own God. I am in the process of that. I didn't start with a very God-like beginning. I am coming out of some hard times and maybe I'm just supposed to all of a sudden be my own God. OK, I just don't feel like I'm a womderful God right now and I think I'll know when the transition occurs. I need to read and study more to be where I will be comfortable making such a claim for myself.

When one reads The Satanic Bible, it shouldn't be a manual to change your life (which is in total contradiction to Satanism) to fit what Anton LaVey wrote. TSB is a literary mirror for Satanists who read it and they identify with it. You don't convert to Satanism. There should be no struggle. If you have to struggle, you are not a Satanist. It's great that you are opening up your eyes and perhaps Atheism should be your next step. Satanism however, is different. Satanists are born, not made. Period.

#204765 - 11/29/06 03:33 PM Re: Dawkins at his very best... [Re: Discipline]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

It is not hard to have answer of the top of your head for theists. Most of my answers include, "That is a silly argument. So silly it does not deserve a response."

This is true.

#204766 - 11/29/06 03:37 PM Re: Dawkins at his very best... [Re: Neko]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

It really wasn’t a debate as the questioners weren’t able to respond back to the answers they were given. I am sure that if they were in private, where they would feel more comfortable they would have acted like the typical nutcases your familiar with.

I'd have to agree, if they were in private it would have most likely been more heated. They were stumling over their words, but at least they weren't screaming like idiots.

#204767 - 11/29/06 03:46 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Groundhog]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Quote:

I need to evolve into my own God. I am in the process of that.

You are, already, the God of your own subjective universe. You have no choice in the matter. Whether you are a strong, wise and successful God or a failure is up to you. Stop making excuses and embrace yourself. You seem to be waiting for something. That is useless. The time is now! Take control of your life and earn the title of Godhood! Don't wait for someone to bestow it on you.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#204768 - 11/29/06 03:51 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Carkosa]
Groundhog Offline

It's not Satanism that I don't identify with. I just haven't been a big success in my life up to this point and I am hesitant about professing myself to be a God as I feel somewhat tainted by my past before I ever read TSB or even knew that CoS existed which I am using as a guide to learn with/from.

#204769 - 11/29/06 03:53 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Minus]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
It has been proven to me improbable and illogical to try to convince or convey "our" understanding of this matter to people who do not immediately agree with it.

Those who try to become a god will find themselves in a circular search for a way to achieve an impossible goal.

#204770 - 11/29/06 03:57 PM Re: Pardon? [Re: Drimlybunk]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
I know...

It's just maddening because it's RIGHT THERE! The answer is in plain view and ripe for the taking yet so many people just pass it by and never get to taste the sweetness of the forbidden fruit.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404145 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements