Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#205597 - 11/30/06 11:10 PM "Churches" of Satan
slayermet420 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Through the glory of the internet, while trying to find more information about Dr. Lavey's teachings, I've discovered quite a few organizations that bill themselves as "Churches" of Satan, whether the name removed or the name removed. I was wondering what the official viewpoint of the CoS is on these psuedo-CoS organizations.

Edited by LKRice (12/01/06 12:45 PM)

#205598 - 11/30/06 11:12 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
The official viewpoint.
And again.

Speaking as a non-official Myself, I would say that it should be obvious even without reading the above. There is the Church of Satan, and then there are wannabe whiney disorganized groups of potheads who are trying to feed their impoverished egos by empty self-aggrandizement, usually by little webrings and no real-world achievers amongst their members. All talk (and a few dodgy animated GIFs), and nothing to back it up.

#205599 - 11/30/06 11:40 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Linguascelesta]
slayermet420 Offline

I see them all, and just see them as a waste of good bandwidth.

#205600 - 11/30/06 11:47 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

In addition to Linguascelesta's post I would encourage that all dates on such organizations be checked. The Church of Satan was founded in 1966, all of these pseudo-satanic groups were formed after the Church of Satan. This should be one huge hint that they are riding on the coat tails of the first and only Satanic organization in the world.

I would encourage you to not just read the Satanic Bunco Sheet but the entire official Church of Satan website as well. Doing this will make clear the shallowness of these other pseudo-satanic organizations.

Just my 2 sense, now I will have to charge you 20 dollars for the reply, half of course will go to Linguascelesta.

#205601 - 11/30/06 11:51 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Unknown]
slayermet420 Offline

Don't worry, I've read it all. I just finished the Satanic Bible and "Satan Speaks!". I'm working on getting the rest of the books.

#205602 - 12/01/06 12:04 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Groundhog Offline

I looked at a lot of other Satanist websites as well because I believe in "shopping around". Well, CoS wins out as far as I'm concerned. I have been able to find answers to questions that were unanswered by browsing around the site, CoS books, and links.

The other Satanic sites lacked that thing that pulls you in and makes you stay. Also, it seemed like the other sites weren't very original.

#205603 - 12/01/06 12:04 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

If you loved those I assure you you'll love the other 3 he wrote. I'm going through all 5 books again myself plus the 2 by Magistra Barton. Happy indulgence!

#205604 - 12/01/06 12:19 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Groundhog]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

So you're aligning with the CoS because of the presentation of the website?

#205605 - 12/01/06 12:46 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: HellofallHells]
Groundhog Offline

Quote:

That's not the only reason at all. It was a part of it. Anton LaVey's creation of an entirely original church which is like no other is what is bringing me back here. I am in a massive re-structuring process in my life and I am feeling motivation like I have never felt before. I attribute it to what I am learning through the CoS and through LttD.

#205606 - 12/01/06 01:12 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Go through the website; it's all there. But to shorten the labour you seemingly want to avoid, there is a simple answer:

There is only one Church of Satan.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#205607 - 12/01/06 02:05 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:

Don't worry, I've read it all.

I have to ask, then why did you need to post your question?

Now that you have read The Satanic Bible as well as Satan Speaks, what of it? I recall at the time when you wrote your introduction you were questioning yourself about your capacity of being a Church of Satan member. Do you feel more certain now that you have read the core text of Satanism?

Edited by Unknown (12/01/06 02:48 AM)

#205608 - 12/01/06 05:07 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
garfield Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Carcosa
A handfull of internet-nerds isn`t a organisation, even if they call themself a "church".

#205609 - 12/01/06 06:30 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: HellofallHells]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
Quote:

HellofallHells,
That comment and your avatar go together extremely well. It actually made me chuckle a little.
Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#205610 - 12/01/06 09:11 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Groundhog]
Nonesuch Offline

Loc: The Empire State
Well it is a very nice website! Very professional, no stupid graphics or cheesy music as well as nicely written essays on relevant topics. I visited pseudo-Satanic websites on the recommendation of someone I knew before I knew too much about Satanism and frankly the Church of Satan leaves them in the dust. I understand the desire to ignore these other groups completely on the part of most Satanists but any examination of these them always makes the Church of Satan look good (I haven't checked up on a certain obese "satanist"'s website or other pseudo-Satanic groups in a while, though am certain they haven't changed much if they haven't folded yet).

#205611 - 12/01/06 09:51 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Groundhog Offline

I saw that there was a plane crash yesterday. Hope it didn't shake you up too much.

#205612 - 12/01/06 09:58 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Biff Offline

Loc: Hong Kong, SAR
When it comes to websites, the name removed provides an entertaining media outlet for humorous or musical youtube videos. Other then that, it is run by a 'self proclaimed' Black Pope. Name removed enjoys making nice 'papal' speeches and even has his youtube account to post these things on.

The substance of their philosophy rests in the fact that they follow the Satanic Bible yet are too scared and feel inferior themselves by distancing themselves from elitism. The Church of Satan IS an elitist organization, the Satanic philosophy IS elitist and whoever too scared of the idea of elitism IS not Satanic.

The fact that they call it the name removed to represent a return to orthodoxy is something that has kept me assured that I will be well entertained by this group of 'satanists'.

Edited by LKRice (12/01/06 12:49 PM)

'It's only hubris, if I fail.' - Caesar (HBO's Rome)

HAIL SATAN!

#205613 - 12/01/06 10:21 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Biff]
Nonesuch Offline

Loc: The Empire State
I feel as though you give them too much credit. From what I remember The Satanic Bible, while important to them, isn't exactly the bedrock of their philosophy. They focus on their leader's status as a "daimon" (a term used by the founder of another pseudo-Satanist group) and a "cosmic maverick" (whatever that means!) and on a bunch of neo-pagan gobblygook mixed in with some of Crowley's ideas. They aren't even a pale imitation of the Church of Satan, they are a mish mash of ideas that have nothing to do with Anton LaVey's worldview. Sadly enough, MSNBC featured them in a special!

#205614 - 12/01/06 10:29 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Speaking only as a person with an opinion, I think mentioning those groups here gives them credence they don't deserve.

#205616 - 12/01/06 10:40 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: RandomStranger]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
I completely agree as mentioning those groups and giving their impressions of something we already know serves no useful purpose.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#205617 - 12/01/06 10:52 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Nonesuch]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Quote:

From what I remember The Satanic Bible, while important to them, isn't exactly the bedrock of their philosophy.

Contrary to that statement and, indeed, popular belief, The Satanic Bible is the only bedrock of Satanic philosophy; even to these morons.

The difference between us and them, is that they borrow parts of it and re-write others, thus absolving themselves of any Satanic responsibility.

This is a shame.

In their next logical step, they talk about how The Satanic Bible is too small and doesn't go deep enough in Satanic philosophy. The next breath brings a complaint that it's too restricting and causes conformity.

There is a sad lack of perspective here.

Personally, if I find a person who considers The Satanic Bible not directive enough, it's a sure sign that they have no inkling that the text was written to ensure that Satanists can apply Satanism as a useful tool in whatever manner they deem best, so long as they don't contradict what the text says.

It's easy for a Satanist and difficult for an idiot.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#205618 - 12/01/06 11:20 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Accept NO imitations.

#205619 - 12/01/06 11:30 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: gypsy]
Yshterijh Offline

Loc: norway
yes, even i have to meddle and say that i agree, all PR is good PR (sometimes, not always of course:/ )

The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.”

HAIL SATAN.

#205620 - 12/01/06 11:34 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Yshterijh]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#205621 - 12/01/06 12:43 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Yshterijh]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Please post an introduction. You registered a month ago and should have already made one at least three weeks ago.
Prevention of Virtue

#205622 - 12/01/06 06:23 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
The question I want to ask you is why do you CARE what the CoS position is on those groups?

They're malcontents with nothing to offer except spiritual jargon and ridiculous ass-patting.

Any rational individual with a lick of sense would understand that they're worthless beyond measure and simply ignore the inane grumblings of a few melodramatic morons.

In all honesty, can you find ANY group outside of the CoS that represents Satanism the way it IS, rather than the way a group of selected retards WANT it to be? The answer is no.

All that aside, your question was answered in the material that you claim to have read in another one of your posts.

So either your reading comprehension is severely lacking, or you have an agenda.

That's my opinion.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#205623 - 12/01/06 07:30 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Groundhog]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
A plane crash?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#205624 - 12/01/06 10:14 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Discipline]
Groundhog Offline

I briefly caught it on the news yesterday. It was in the isolated area somewhere at Miramar. No bldgs. were hit but I don't know about the people on the plane (I mean if they survived or not). Maybe slayermet 420 knows more of the details.

edited to add: I found this info on Miramar webpage:
A Miramar-based jet crashed at approximately 12:20 p.m. PST. An F/A-18 Hornet from VMFAT-101 crashed approximately three miles east of the Air Field in a location aboard East Miramar.

The pilot ejected safely to the ground.

This incident is under investigation. Additional information will be provided as soon as it becomes available.

Edited by ooo (12/01/06 10:21 PM)

#205625 - 12/02/06 02:59 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Groundhog]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I was unaware of that.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#205626 - 12/02/06 01:40 PM Just suppose... [Re: slayermet420]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Just suppose that the Church of Satan removed itself from any website and all legitimate members ceased to mention the Church to anyone anywhere.

Just suppose that the Church of Satan withdrew all literature concerning the Church and refused to grant any media interviews ever again.

What would change for the legitimate members of the Church of Satan?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

We would still continue to communicate amongst ourselves, meet each other from time to time, exchange news about our projects amongst ourselves, and overall continue to leverage the world at large to serve our own selfish purposes.

This messageboard, the CoS Emporium and the COS website are wonderful resources. This messageboard is fun: "Where the Elite come to play." The Emporium is a rich source of delightful items to delight the mind and senses. The COS website is a news source as well as a Satanic database and networking tool.

However this remains all mere icing.

The meat is hidden from view.

Those on the inside feast and those on the outside starve.

It is really all quite simple.

#205627 - 12/02/06 01:51 PM Re: Just suppose... [Re: Nemo]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
In other words; a 100% secret society instead of a 99% secret society.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#205628 - 12/06/06 03:50 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: LKRice]
Yshterijh Offline

Loc: norway
sry but i have to ask, is there something i have missed?
introduction?
sure i can make a forum and greet everyone here, and tell about myself a bit and send a greeting from norway if that is what you ask of me?

#205629 - 12/06/06 04:10 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: Yshterijh]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

sry but i have to ask, is there something i have missed?

Yes. You aparently missed the entire section of the board titled "Please Read This First" and the post where it tells you that you have one week from the creation of your account to post a mandatory introduction or have your account banned.

You're about three weeks late already, so please post an introduction in the proper forum TODAY or you will be banned.

(This is also directed at the rest of you freeloaders who haven't made your required introductions yet.)
Prevention of Virtue

#205630 - 12/08/06 12:08 AM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: slayermet420]
cashmere Offline

Loc: canada
I believe that the official CoS does state their point of view on these other 'pseudo' churches on their website. They dont' go into detail about each one, but they make it very clear that the CoS is not affiliated with the others. Hope this helps!

#205631 - 12/08/06 10:50 PM Re: "Churches" of Satan [Re: cashmere]
Kali666 Offline

Loc: United States
I feel from my point of view that the only one true Satanic Church is the one that Dr. Lavey started in the Black House in California in 1966.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406026 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements