Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20611 - 01/13/04 11:27 AM Re: The Church of Satan and “people”
Sarracenia Offline
CoS Member

Agreement and admiration do not equate weakness.

Be sickened when respect is given to those who do not deserve it.

This is an internet messageboard. What you see here is in not a full representation of the true characters of CoS members, and the interactions between them.

Some talk, but to do not walk. Some walk but never talk.

Opinions, agreeing or otherwise, are not always voiced publicly. Heated debates sometimes occur in the privacy of the PM system of LttD.

Just remember: The internet is a masquerade ball.

ToV

#20612 - 01/13/04 06:33 PM Medicine against a rotten soul *DELETED* [Re: Svengali]
Haman Caiaphas Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Spain
Post deleted by Magister_Ventrue

#20613 - 01/13/04 08:49 PM The Satanic Self Improvement Plan [Re: Haman Caiaphas]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Satanism can be a method of "self improvement", in a manner of speaking.

Quote:

"Satanism, as a philosophy, can be potentially taken and learned from by a large percentage of the population, but this does not make one a Satanist, but perchance Satanic. Qualities such as cowardice, insecurity, self-loathing, drug addiction, stupidity, constant life failures, unconditional niceness, and lack of direction (and, believe me, there are MANY more) are clear indicators that the person in question and the title of Satanist are NOT compatible. For such a person, Satanism isn't a direct reflection of one's core (as it is with Satanists), it can only be a human improvement program at best, which is valid. This is one distinction that many, be they Satanic hopeful or earnest researcher, would be better off to recognize."
- Rev. Matt G Paradise's Satanism FAQ

However, this topic might interest you.

"Beyond Self Esteem"

Satanism is really about stepping out of the "self-improvement" game altogether.

Perhaps a better phrase might be "life improvement".

Self-evaluation is a fool's game. You will continue to be "you" no matter what you do. It's all you can be.

What you seem to be recognizing is flawed behaviors and thought patterns. They are flawed, because they are hindering your ability to truly enjoy life. You can rationally evaluate your thought patterns and behaviors.

It's not your "self" or "soul" that needs "improving". It's your thinking. Learn how to think more effectively. Mastery of the Earth begins with mastering your own mind.

Stop that snivel! Stop complaining about “how unfair the world is”!

Good plan. Complaining changes nothing.

GO FIGHT AND DIE WITH HONOR!

Honor means nothing if you are dead.

LIVE WITH HONOR.

Honor thyself first.

#20614 - 01/13/04 10:38 PM Re: The Satanic Self Improvement Plan [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Damn it Jack. I love you. You always have such thought provoking and intelligent posts.

Thank you.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#20615 - 01/13/04 10:46 PM Re: The Satanic Self Improvement Plan [Re: Discipline]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Thank YOU, sir.

Just standing on the shoulders of giants in this particular instance.

#20616 - 01/14/04 07:25 AM Re: The Church of Satan and “people” [Re: Svengali]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lost for words.

#20617 - 01/14/04 01:06 PM Re: The Church of Satan and “people” [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bravo to you as well.

I would like to add that caring too much is perilous for the Satanist.

#20618 - 01/15/04 02:43 PM Re: The Church of Satan and “people” [Re: Svengali]
Black_Knight Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Canada
The Church of Satan is unambiguous and up front about what it is and is not. All the information, including plans and agendas, are to be had in the published works and website of the Church of Satan. You either recognize it and say, “Yes, this is me” and run with it, or not.

On the shoulders of this, I find it more repulsive that members (even officials) who sever their ties with the Church find an excuse to label it "facist", or complain that the new heirarchy in power is turning it into something other than what its original intentions or goals were when it was started. Since there were elements they did not feel comfortable with, more attention should have been given to the details of the various writings by Doctor LaVey. Skimming pages never helps. Actually, scratch that. More attention should have been given to where their life was headed in the first place, before deciding to wear the mantle of Satanist.

Knowledge, strength, creativity, and professionalism are all components that make the true Satanist stand above the rest of the beggars and hangers-on.

Strength through joy!

HS!

#20619 - 01/16/04 06:33 AM Re: The Church of Satan and “people”
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good question. I'm surprised there are no replies.

#20620 - 01/16/04 09:31 AM Merit
Citizen_Parker Offline
CoS Member

I have no reason to believe it is not. Do you?

In fact, through my limited experiences here it has been quite clear to me that an individual's level within the CoS is often in direct correlation with the quality of their posts.

How else would they have attained their positions if they had not demonstrated to others that they are worthy of notice?

I have no absolute way of proving to myself that those with higher positions within the CoS are truly deserving of those titles, as I have never knowingly met any member face-to-face above the first-level status, but from the outside the view looks good.

Granted, there are bound to be some bad eggs, and from what I understand there have been several in the past, but they never last long.

I'm curious: Is there any situation in particular that has made you doubt the legitimacy of the Church of Satan's claims? Or is this question simply in the spirit of questioning all things?

Parker

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#20621 - 01/16/04 06:31 PM Re: Merit [Re: Citizen_Parker]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

Or is this question simply in the spirit of questioning all things?

Judging my the rest of Mr Longinus' posts, I would say it is 'simply in the spirit of trolling all boards.'
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#20622 - 01/16/04 06:37 PM Re: Merit [Re: Citizen_Parker]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you are saying one proves one's worth to the CoS through POSTING on LttD? Interesting. Sounds like "online Satanism" to me, if that is the case.

And I think Longinus appears very bright, though somewhat quarrelsome. But I'll let him answer for himself.

#20623 - 01/16/04 09:23 PM Re: Merit
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

So you are saying one proves one's worth to the CoS through POSTING on LttD? Interesting. Sounds like "online Satanism" to me, if that is the case.

How did you gather that? You seem to be working under the assumption LttD is the central hub of the CoS and CoS activity.
I am not a CoS member (yet) , but I see no evidence of this being the case.
Although this forum, like the entire internet, is something of a 'masquerade ball' , the quality and content of peoples posts do speak volumes about their characture and views. I would think that would be obvious.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#20624 - 01/16/04 10:54 PM Re: Merit
Citizen_Parker Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

So you are saying one proves one's worth to the CoS through POSTING on LttD?

How the hell did you get that? Absolutely not. I said that those with higher rankings within the Church of Satan tend to have better posts. In saying this I mean that the high quality posts are a result of high quality people, NOT that producing posts resulted in those people attaining their status.

You seem to have intentionally interpreted my wording to suit a stereotype you find pleasure fitting people into.

You are mistaken.

Quote:

And I think Longinus appears very bright, though somewhat quarrelsome.

No argument there. My post did not have any aggressive tone towards Longinus. I was simply surprised at his question, which seemed to imply that he saw some reason to doubt the effectiveness of the CoS's stratification system, and asked him to clarify. If indeed he has a reason, I would be very interested in learning about it. NOT to outright refute it in some blind reactionary defense, as would the type of person I assume you have pigeon-holed me as.

That's one of the disadvantages to interacting online: It is sometimes difficult to discern the tone, emotion or sarcasm behind words on a screen. Part of this can be compensated for by careful wording on part of the poster, so I take partial blame. I am, by no means, an effective communicator. It is one of my greatest weaknesses, and I often find it difficult to get my meaning across on the first try. Not a conducive trait towards a message board, I know.

I asked him his intent because I didn't want to make the mistake of misrepresenting his words as hostile if they were not. If his question was an attack on the CoS, that's fine too, but I didn't want to discuss the issue without knowing where he was coming from. Doing otherwise runs the risk of needless offense.

In short, I didn't want to make the mistake in replying to his post as you have made in replying to mine.

Parker

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#20625 - 01/17/04 12:28 AM Re: The Church of Satan and “people”
Malin_Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: A sleepy little hollow in Flor...
The world is filled with naked philosophers.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements