Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206217 - 12/04/06 09:41 PM Legal Issues
Illiad Offline

I am not very knowledgable in the state of legal affairs, as well as the process of legalities of the United States government, so I am requesting help from many of the wise minds from this website.

Yesterday night, at approximately 8:15 P.M., I had a job interview at a rather large movie theatre in this fetid cesspool of a city. Due to a stunted cash flow, I have taken it upon myself to acquire a second job.

I met the woman in charge of hiring/firing, who was also the overall manager of the theatre. She seemed hardly polite; like she didn't want to waste time on my presence. During the interview, she occasionally paused and told me about the theatre. Mainly about how she keeps the place up to her "Christian Ethics and Morals", and how there is no place for Satan in such a building. (How paradoxial of her to be showing Saw 3 and Hostel..) After every question I answered, I had to listen to at least two or three minutes of preaching. Of course, like a gentleman, I kept my personal opinions to myself.. until a certain question arose, and I quote:

"In order to regulate with the morals and ethics in this building.. I have to know whether you are Christian or not."

No joke. Even though I have limited knowledge on legal issues, I know, for a fact, that even presenting this question is against the law. To keep myself from listening to even more preaching, I did not mention I was a Satanist. I simply said:

"Excuse me, but I'm not sure how this question fits into the hiring process. In fact.. I don't think you can even ask that question legally."

With a disgruntled look and an evil eye, I recieved an answer which would hold up in the most biased of courts:

"I can ask that question legally because this is MY theatre. (Incorrect statement. She is just the head theatre manager.) If you aren't Christian, then you can turn around and leave now, because I don't want any devils in here."

Absolutely word for word. I was insulted, and offended. I did not lash out at her, nor make any sarcastic remark. I simply left. According to the few friends I have working there, many of the workers have recieved her "Fire and Brimstone" speech, and there was even the disposing of a book by Bertrand Russel a friend of mine was reading while there. She has been warned four times by the corporates to stop such behavior, but that is three too many. Not only is she learning her lesson, but by providing so many "warnings", this is only silently condoning her behavior.

I have all of their names written down, what happened to them, as well as what day and time it was. I have recorded this incident down to the very last word, and I have called and recieved a corporate number to which I can speak to tomarrow. However, I feel that my incident will only cause another "silent warning" and her actions will go unpunished. Is there a governmental number that which I can speak to, such as Human Services, which will actually DO something about this situation?

I appreciate the responses.

#206218 - 12/04/06 10:06 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Groundhog Offline

For information, please go to

COS website
theory/practice
legal issues
Lex Talionis

Good luck if you decide to pursue it.

Edited by ooo (12/05/06 12:59 AM)

#206219 - 12/04/06 11:09 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
redheadgrl Offline

This isn't legal as far as I know (I've had this happen to me before and it was brought to the attention of the owner of the establishment) but more importantly, would you want to consider working for such a person as this? I'd want to stay as far away from her as possible. It IS a blessing in disguise that she is very upfront with her values, as it is much better to know this now than it would be to find this out after the fact and to go through the added hassle of seeking another job.
Before considering seeking legal action please entertain the possibility that her unfair method of weeding out prospective employees might actually be mutually beneficial for countless others in the future.

#206220 - 12/04/06 11:59 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Lex Talionis!

I am sure you can find something if you dig deep enough.

#206221 - 12/05/06 12:09 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
IX Von ZehEhv Offline

CoS Warlock

I can understand how you are frustrated with this issue. That being the case, it can be a long and difficult process to achieve nothing should you pursue a legal option. And should there be strongly religious persons involved during this legal process, don't expect to get too far.

As has been mentioned, it sounds a place you would not enjoy working anyhow.

My advice is this... Rather than waste your efforts on fighting for a Pyrrhic victory, spend your efforts on finding that second job. Spend your efforts in a manner that will benefit your life rather than add issue.

Purge this idiot from your life and rise to new successes.

Edited by BrehtJB (12/05/06 12:10 AM)

#206222 - 12/05/06 01:26 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
BlueHeeler Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I agree with the fact that if you did get this job based on a legal (and moral) victory it may not be in your best interests. I am sure the working environment would not be pleasant at all.

However, I do not believe that means you shouldnt just let her get away with this behaviour. I am unfamiliar with US workplace legislation. Is there some sort of governing body that would take this type of complaint? They can investigate it while you find a place where you are appreciated. In the mean time this woman will not be able to do this to another person as she will hopefully be the one being interviewed for a job, not doing the interiew.

#206223 - 12/05/06 03:03 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Biff Offline

Loc: Hong Kong, SAR
This calls for a few candles and an invocation!

'It's only hubris, if I fail.' - Caesar (HBO's Rome)

HAIL SATAN!

#206224 - 12/05/06 09:00 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

It is ILLEGAL to ask someone about -Age, Sex, Race, religion or even sexual orientation, during a job interview. Well, I think they can ask about your race, age and sex but you are under no obligation to answer those questions. Unless you have proof however of what she said you won't have an arguement. It seemed obvious that you didn't need that sort of job. I would have had a lot of fun with her knowing that I wouldn't work there! What was she going to do, fire you?!

Edited by DickSteele (12/05/06 09:01 AM)

#206225 - 12/05/06 09:59 AM The third side of this situation [Re: Illiad]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
I'd like to take this opportunity to approach this from a completely different perspective that I've seen many a young Satanist overlook.

Let's assume for a moment (and yes, this will be a big assumption) that this was going to be the only opportunity you had for gainful second employment. We know that what this woman has done is clearly illegal and is a violation of your rights as a U.S. citizen. But what's more important, your righteous anger about the situation, or the fact that you and your family will starve without this job (again, let me reiterate that we're assuming that this is the only employment opportunity available to you.)

Why wouldn't you lie and say "yes, I am a Christian?"

I've told this story before, but it bears repeating here. When I sold advertising, some of the easiest marks I could find were christian book stores. A gentle look, and a few words about helping to spread the word of "The Lord," and their money was as good as mine. I fought to get all of the christian book store accounts, and my sales manager would give them to me because I would always close them for nice dollar figures. All I had to do was lie to them.

So many people, even Satanists, put a negative connotation on the concept of lying for our own benefit. But most (not all, but most) lesser magic involves some degree of deception. Whether it be altering our appearance, our mannerisms, our speech patterns, or fabricating our identities, we deceive other people everyday to get what we want and need. So what if our own values are offended? What's more important in the long run?

Obviously, your situation probably didn't warrant this type of action. However, I guarantee that one day you will be faced with a situation in which you will need to make a choice between your own well being, and your personal beliefs.

What will you choose to do?
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#206226 - 12/05/06 10:04 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Kaelyn4 Offline

Loc: Massachucettes
Why would you want to work for someone like that?

#206227 - 12/05/06 10:21 AM Re: The third side of this situation [Re: Magister_Harris]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

I've told this story before, but it bears repeating here. When I sold advertising, some of the easiest marks I could find were christian book stores. A gentle look, and a few words about helping to spread the word of "The Lord," and their money was as good as mine. I fought to get all of the christian book store accounts, and my sales manager would give them to me because I would always close them for nice dollar figures. All I had to do was lie to them.

So many people, even Satanists, put a negative connotation on the concept of lying for our own benefit. But most (not all, but most) lesser magic involves some degree of deception. Whether it be altering our appearance, our mannerisms, our speech patterns, or fabricating our identities, we deceive other people everyday to get what we want and need. So what if our own values are offended? What's more important in the long run?

I've often wondered the same thing myself.

However, the power of these "secrets" is in their keeping.

#206228 - 12/05/06 10:26 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Noel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Amerika
Sounds like the makings for a discrimination law suit.

If you indeed plan to seek legal action, then the case will most likely settle before it even goes to trial.

That woman is an agent of whatever corporation she works for, and the corporation is therefore open to litigation under the doctrine of agency. If it is an LLC, your damages will be limited.

Either way, the absolute absurdity of a religious litmus test for employment is worth calling a lawyer over.

Most telephone books have the number for the local Bar Association. Call them and ask who specializes in discrimination suits, and have all of the particulars written down before you speak with an attorney.

Most people will tell you, Don't sue, it takes too long. But this advice does not take into account that settlements take less time, and the merits of each case decide whether an attorney will take it or not. Your case sounds pretty compelling, and your not being "litigious" if what you say is true.

I would sue out of spite, and it sounds like you need money anyway. There's usually no retainer fee with plaintiff attorneys, so let them get their contingency fee, and you can pocket the rest. You could also make the termination of that cunt part of the settlement if you have a real snake-in-the-grass attorney.

Fuck calling the customer service line for the theatre. Your call is not important to them. Plus, the less they know, the better. When they get served a subpoena, they'll know your feelings about the matter.

#206229 - 12/05/06 03:15 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Nonesuch Offline

Loc: The Empire State
I would look for another job myself. If I really wanted to work for a movie theater (I am actually applying to one right now as well because frankly its better than retail... lets hope I don't run into similiar people!) however, I'd lie as previously suggested. I'm not sure exactly what your duties would be or how often you'd have to see her, but given that she has to manage the entire theater and deal with keeping it running and talking to those above her, you probably won't see her all the time and can do your job without having to hear any more sermons. Thats a risk I suppose because you can't be entirely sure.

Or you could take legal action. Again, I personally would not but if you have access to a good attorney and can make a good case it might be worth your while, if only to get her in trouble (which means you would probably be doing her employers a favor!).

#206230 - 12/05/06 04:01 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Groundhog Offline

The more I think about this the madder I get and it's not even about me except that I keep thinking of all of the people who go to that theatre expecting a normal interview and they end up getting abused or interrogated. She is breaking the law and is the most annoying type of person. I hope that she isn't allowed to continue denying employment to qualified people for much longer or manipulate people to have to listen to her self-righteous bullshit based on the premise of work, wasting people's time and bashing their innoncent hope of peaceful employment and money. Best of luck if you do choose to pursue this.

#206231 - 12/05/06 04:42 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Groundhog]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"The more I think about this the madder I get"

Come on now. If we got mad at everyone who broke the law that would be a lot of wasted energy.

Try to put it where it counts.

#206232 - 12/05/06 05:16 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: RandomStranger]
Illiad Offline

Thank all of you very much.. you have helped me out immensely. Especially ooo, with the EEOC website. After doing research, calling some numbers, writing some emails.. I have attained my goal.

I contacted the EEOC with this incident, and I asked them to do investigation if contacting higher corporate management had taken no action. I contacted the corporates, and had a rousing conversation about every discrimating act this woman has staged.

Drumroll, please...

Higher management will be replacing this woman within the next two weeks. Just to be sure whether I wasn't lied to.. I asked some of my friends if they had heard anything about it. Supposedly, she decided to "quit" because of "personal issues with management".

To revenge! Hail Satan!

#206233 - 12/05/06 05:45 PM Re: The third side of this situation [Re: Magister_Harris]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Quote:

Why wouldn't you lie and say "yes, I am a Christian?"

Upon my first reading of this topic, that is exactly the thought I had. Pretend to be a Christian. It's a known fact that even when they're not uber-religious, Christians are more wont to help their "own" kind.

Be a wolf in sheep's clothing

#206234 - 12/05/06 06:25 PM Ask an attorney. [Re: Illiad]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You can probably call your local bar association and request a free initial interview with a lawyer.

Legal questions should be answered by attorneys.

#206235 - 12/05/06 11:20 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
leonor Offline

Loc: Portugal
Well done!

Sometimes we have to move. I would have done the same.

october1560
Time does not imply evolution. Very true. We are stepping back. One generates haunting monsters that generate haunting monsters on an endless spiral of misunderstanding, unsolved needs, moral amulets eradicating both the sickness and the cure.
I see a bunch of men raging at the void, haunted by their own inventions. Absurd. Totally absurd.

#206236 - 12/06/06 12:32 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Daigon Offline

Loc: United States
It is illegal for an employer to turn down a possible hire due to race, religious beleifs, sexual orientation or any other personal matter. You could file a class action law suite against the women and the theatre if other employees would be willing to participate and would be willing to tell a court about her behavior. However without any other whitnesses or anyone else to back your story you wouldnt have much leverage. Best advice, sever your losses and find some place else.

#206237 - 12/06/06 08:01 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Biff Offline

Loc: Hong Kong, SAR
Congratulations! Hail Revenge!

'It's only hubris, if I fail.' - Caesar (HBO's Rome)

HAIL SATAN!

#206238 - 12/06/06 08:12 AM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
BlueHeeler Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I do enjoy a story with a happy ending.

Hail revenge,
Hail Satan!

#206239 - 12/06/06 08:36 AM Re: The third side of this situation [Re: Magister_Harris]
IRI Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Canada
I thoroughly agree with Reverend Harris' take on the third option, with a twist. I would have lied and still reported her anonymously. It would be interesting to have a front row seat while still getting paid for it.

All too often we are very quick to pull our horns out or get them in a knot, when we should keep them in and just play the game in order to manipulate it to our own advantage. When you can do this, you have control!

IRI

"Where do people in Hell tell each other to go?"

"If we are all gods children, why is Christ so special?"

#206240 - 12/06/06 01:18 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Clinton Offline

Great question my friend. Perhaps the "Americans United for the Seperation of Church and State" can help you out. They have a legal staff. The number is 800-875-3707. Good luck...I love it!

#206241 - 12/06/06 02:07 PM Satisfaction, maybe.... [Re: Illiad]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
...but when all is said and done, do you end up with a paycheck?

#206242 - 12/07/06 12:31 PM Workplace Fairness [Re: Illiad]
Frksgoddess Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Grand Forks, ND
If you want to know your rights here is where to look.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal law that protects individuals from discrimination based on religion. Title VII makes it illegal for an employer to discriminate against individuals because of their religion in hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employment, such as promotions, raises, and other job opportunities.
Title VII also requires employers to reasonably accommodate the religious practices of an employee or prospective employee, unless to do so would create an “undue hardship” upon the employer. Flexible scheduling, voluntary substitutions or swaps, job reassignments, and lateral transfers are examples of ways of accommodating an employee's religious beliefs.
Most states also have laws that make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of religion. Some states may also provide additional protections for workers against religious discrimination, and may provide additional requirements beyond those required under federal law for accommodating the religious practices of employees.

This information can be found under a search for Work place fairness.

Best of luck.

#206243 - 12/07/06 05:21 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Serves the cunt right.

Congratulations!

I'm assuming you got the job?

#206244 - 12/10/06 09:32 PM Re: Legal Issues [Re: Illiad]
dadam5314 Offline

Loc: California, USA
I don't have any legal advice because I see others have already provided what I would have. But if I were you, I wouldn't even think about working there for that caliber of person. I would end up getting annoyed and might end up doing something not so good.

So good luck on whatever action you take.

#206245 - 12/11/06 02:29 AM Re: The third side of this situation [Re: Magister_Harris]
Whitegold Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
This option would simply never have occurred to me. I bow before you.

*bows*

I would have chosen to say no I am not, then in moral outrage have done all I could to destroy her. But really, why not simply use her.

Moral outrage is nice and everything, but the IMmoral is generally a lot more fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12281 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404442 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements