Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20820 - 01/14/04 04:34 AM Gimmicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many seem to be so ready to dismiss it, or rather name it as a form of accusation to the third parts. To the same I would like to ask, on what grouds does art equal gimmicks to you? Anton LaVey was on many media mediums "accused" of being a stunt-man, a con. Where do you draw the line?

#20821 - 01/14/04 08:51 AM Re: Gimmicks
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Confidence art is when you don't know what you're supporting.

Art is when you know, and appreciate, what you're supporting.

#20822 - 01/14/04 09:11 AM Re: Gimmicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

What matters is the result and what you want. Let's say, if the "gimmick" works then it's art.

#20823 - 01/14/04 10:17 AM Re: Gimmicks
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
The goal justifies the means. So, if LaVey had to use any gimmicks to achieve something, that won't diminish my admiration for him. Quite the contraire!

Besides, every single great man in History has
been "accused" of all kind of things durning his life and after his death.

#20824 - 01/14/04 10:30 AM Re: Gimmicks [Re: Old_Pig]
Stanton_Vetalas Offline

Loc: Teh 518
That's the point I try to make, people with something against the Church of Satan (I/E his daughter) and the like are always trying to "discredit" him saying his real name isn't Anton Szandor LaVey, saying he led a totally different lifestyle than he actually did, but who cares!

What's important is what's been written down and helped countless people find something they can believe in that actually isn't rediculous. If his name was Frow Haufstecklemair he'd still be Anton Szandor LaVey, Creator of The Church of Satan.

And the simple fact that he did all that, made most of america think he's one of the scariest people to ever live, and set a basic rule of life for an entire group of people makes him everything we think he is anyways, a great man. Gimmick or no gimmick.

A gimmick is a very useful resource. It's false pretenses and hiding your true nature to make other people happy that creates the problem. THERE is your line, drawn strait and clear.

#20825 - 01/14/04 11:30 AM Re: Gimmicks
Professor_Sinister Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Anton LaVey was on many media mediums "accused" of being a stunt-man,

The mediums must have been channeling some mischievous spirits. Anton LaVey played the Devil in Rosemary's Baby, but he was not his stunt double.

That's the sort of misinformation you would expect from anyone who would dare to accuse the "third parts".

#20826 - 01/15/04 05:29 AM Re: Gimmicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where do I draw the line?

Well let's see... the xian church has this great gimmick concerning some corpse nailed to two pieces of wood whose death seemingly guarantees one a position in paradise...

It is a good question isn't it?

#20827 - 01/15/04 09:05 PM Re: Gimmicks
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Fearing to open their eyes and face reality, many people would quickly become defensive and sling ulgy words around. It's convenient to dismiss LaVey as a con or a stunt man, playing down the truths he set before them.

Where do you draw the line? Wherever you believe it most dignified to draw the line; wherever your goal has been met. Where you feel like drawing the line is where you draw the line.

#20828 - 01/16/04 01:56 PM No Gimmicks, Only Wise Options!
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
One man's gimmick is another man's lesser magic, and yet another man's ingenius idea.

The word "gimmick" itself has been unjustly associated with a wrong doing and something to look down upon. It's no wonder the masses don't like what they feel is a gimmick...they are the idiots that are falling for them!

Here's where I draw the line: there are no gimmicks, only intelligent tricks of the trade.

And if there are gimmicks:
*The average man hates them, for they often make him feel like he's been had, when actually, he's been stupid of his own accord. If anything, the ingrate should appreciate the learning experience!
*The above average man can appreciate them, for he sees the intelligence involved in employing them.
*The Satanist loves them, and improves upon them!

#20829 - 01/17/04 12:49 AM Re: Gimmicks
Malin_Wolf Offline
CoS Member

Loc: A sleepy little hollow in Flor...
There is nothing in this world that is not marketed in some way, shape or form. From toilet paper to Christian Childrens Relief Foundation, it is shaped and polished for an emotional response to bring in cash. You can either see through the smoke and mirrors and see it for what it is or you get blind-sided by the bullshit.

#20830 - 01/19/04 05:13 AM Question.
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Why do you ask?

#20831 - 01/20/04 07:56 PM Re: Question. [Re: Nemo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was interested in hearing opinions. I remember Anton LaVey spoke of his opinions about it on Speak Of The Devil. I'm yet to purchase a copy of it of my own.

Many musicians for instance are also performers, I'd find it interesting to hear from others, on where would it become an unnecessary perhaps, addition to the show? Or on where does performance become gimmick, in others opinion.

#20832 - 01/20/04 07:58 PM Re: No Gimmicks, Only Wise Options! [Re: Mason_Rust]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's where I draw the line: there are no gimmicks, only intelligent tricks of the trade.

I can reason with that.

#20833 - 01/20/04 08:08 PM Diamond Dave
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
"Make the music look the way it sounds." --David Lee Roth

#20834 - 01/20/04 10:27 PM Question.
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Yes, but I still do not see why you are asking this question.

What is your purpose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405803 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements