Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#208680 - 12/16/06 01:01 AM Time Travel
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Einstein's theory of special relativity allows travel into the future, and his theory of general relativity does not discount the possibility of backwards travel in time.

Right now I will stick to modern physics, I will not share my own ideas yet. If we study modern physics, then moving backwards in time, is more complicated.

Special relativity works well to describe objects as their speed approaches that of light, but gravity is not accounted for. To factor in gravity requires the use of Einsteins 1915 general theory of relativity, in this theory he conjectured that space-time, is curved by gravity, he deduced this by conjecturing that gravity is simply equivalent to acceleration, called the Equivalence Principle.

- Therefore if acceleration is capable of manipulating space-time, as shown by special relativity, then gravity must warp space-time as well.

Stephen Hawking once opposed the idea of time travel. He even claimed he had evidence against it. Hawking has since changed his mind, and now believes that time travel is possible.

What do you believe?

#208681 - 12/16/06 01:22 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
I do not have much scientific data on this, yet.

But, what if time is merely an illusion?

#208682 - 12/16/06 02:02 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I have written this in the past. You are reading it in the future.

My thoughts are now words and, while static, have traveled through time.

#208683 - 12/16/06 03:18 AM The Philosophy of Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
The Philosophy of Time Travel Ė by Roberta Sparrow

Foreword

[Content removed to avoid annoying misinterpretations by people who can't take a joke - if you know what goes here you know what I mean.]

Roberta Ann Sparrow
October, 1944

----
Chapter One
The Tangent Universe

The Primary Universe is fraught with great peril. War, plague, famine and natural disaster are common. Death comes to us all.

The Fourth Dimension of Time is a stable construct, though it is not impenetrable.

Incidents when the fabric of the fourth dimension becomes corrupted are incredibly rare.

If a Tangent Universe occurs, it will be highly unstable, sustaining itself for no longer than several weeks.

Eventually it will collapse upon itself, forming a black hole within the Primary Universe capable of destroying all existence.

----
Chapter Two
Water And Metal

Water and Metal are the key elements of Time Travel.

Water is the barrier element for the construction of Time Portals used as gateways between Universes as the Tangent Vortex.

Metal is the transitional element for the construction of Artifact Vessels.

----
Chapter Four
The Artifact And The Living

When a Tangent Universe occurs, those living nearest to the Vortex, will find themselves at the epicenter of a dangerous new world.

Artifacts provide the first sign that a Tangent Universe has occurred.

If an Artifact occurs, the Living will retrieve it with great interest and curiosity. Artifacts are formed from metal, such as an Arrowhead from an ancient Mayan civilization, or a Metal Sword from Medieval Europe.

Artifacts returned to the Primary Universe are often linked to religious Iconography, as their appearance on Earth seems to defy logical explanation.

Divine intervention is deemed the only logical conclusion for the appearance of the Artifact.

----
Chapter Six
The Living Receiver

The Living Receiver is chosen to guide the Artifact into position for its journey back to the Primary Universe.

No one knows how or why a Receiver will be chosen.

The Living Receiver is often blessed with a Fourth Dimensional Powers. These include increased strength, telekinesis, mind control, and the ability to conjure fire and water.

The Living Receiver is often tormented by terrifying dreams, visions and auditory hallucinations during his time within the Tangent Universe.

These surrounding the Living Receiver, known as the Manipulated, will fear him and try to destroy him.

----
Chapter Seven
The Manipulated Living

The Manipulated Living are often the close friends and neighbors of the Living Receiver.

They are prone to irrational, bizarre, and often violent behavior. This is the unfortunate result of their task, which is to assist the Living Receiver in returning the Artifact to the Primary Universe.

The Manipulated Living will do anything to save themselves from Oblivion.

----
Chapter Ten
The Manipulated Dead

The Manipulated Dead are more powerful than the Living Receiver. If a person dies within the Tangent Dimension, they are able to contact the Living Receiver through the Fourth Dimensional Construct.

The Fourth Dimensional Construct is made of Water.

The Manipulated Dead will manipulate the Living Receiver using the Fourth Dimensional Construct (see Appendix A and B).

The Manipulated Dead will often set an Ensurance Trap for the Living Receiver to ensure that the Artifact is returned safely to the Primary Universe.

If the Ensurance Trap is successful, the Living Receiver is left with no choice but to use his Fourth Dimensional Power to send the Artifact back in time into the Primary Universe before the Black hole collapses upon itself.

----
Chapter Twelve
Dreams

When the Manipulated awaken from their Journey into the Tangent Universe, they are often haunted by the experience in their dreams.

Many of them will not remember.

Those who do remember the Journey are often overcome with profound remorse for the regretful actions buried within their Dreams, the only physical evidence buried within the Artifact itself, all that remains from the lost world.

Ancient myth tells us of the Mayan Warrior killed by an Arrowhead that had fallen from a cliff, where there was no Army, no enemy to be found.

We are told of the Medieval Knight mysteriously impaled by sword he had not yet built.

We are told that these things occur for a reason.

----
NOTES

Living Receiver

Donnie Darko

Manipulated Dead

Frank Anderson
Gretchen Ross

Manipulated Living

Edward Darko
Rose Darko
Elizabeth Darko
Samantha Darko
Katherine Farmer
Elisabeth Farmer
Jim Cunningham
Kenneth Monnitoff
Karen Pomeroy
Larry Cole
Cherita Chen
Seth Devlin
Ricky Danforth
Joanie James
Susan Bates
Susan Bailey
Sean Smith
Leroy Jones
Carter
Linda Connie
Roberta Sparrow

----

Actually written by Richard Kelly, Writer and Director of Donnie Darko

#208684 - 12/16/06 03:45 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What is called the "past" is memory, what is called the "future" is expectation. What we call the "present" is where memory and expectation coincide. Humanity's conception of time is a byproduct of our psychology.

#208685 - 12/16/06 03:45 AM Re: The Philosophy of Time Travel [Re: Drimlybunk]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I was waiting for you to throw this in the mix.

#208686 - 12/16/06 04:35 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Alia Offline
CoS Member

Loc: At Sorrow's End
I see no reason why not. I continuously travel into the future, without ever arriving. It's always present wherever I am. But as long as one can travel in space, why not in time?

Carpe Noctem

#208687 - 12/16/06 08:13 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Evol Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I have experienced present thoughts/feelings/situations in the past existing in the future proven to me when I experience them in the present. I can reason that the past is just as dependant on the future as the future is dependant on the past because what will happen requires what did happen exactly the same amount as what did happen leads to what will happen. I think that mathematically there exists a potential paradox in the assumption that 0 x 0 = 0 AND 1 x 0 = 0 because that is two numbers claiming to be the same number (possible and simultaneously possible that it is not possible). Therefore I deduct that time travel would be possible if reason could be refuted and choice alone accepted and allowed to be viewed as a language that did not reject possibilities on a mathematical level and could be translated to allow matter manipulation (inventions) at a physical level.
"There are problems in today's world that cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them" Albert Einstein "A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." Charles Darwin

#208688 - 12/16/06 09:07 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: $lesk]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
But, what if time is merely an illusion?

I think it is an illusion. We use time to measure change, but would we be so concerned with time if we never died? Time, to me, indicates a beginning and an end. I donít think the universe has a beginning or and end. I think it just IS.

Its mind boggling, like the idea of eternity, because our minds arenít equipped to fully comprehend something that is unlimited.

I think it's all one big moment.

#208689 - 12/16/06 09:45 AM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I would have to think about this for a while, as I am still wrestling with a theory of my own, which is equally as "far out there". My current theory- it may be possible to capture some of the massive energy released from a matter/anti-matter fusion (collision may be more accurate) and use it for our own power here. Of course I have no way to test this theory, but maybe someone might help point me in the right direction? Any evidence or studys out there?

#208690 - 12/16/06 12:35 PM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Those of you who are interested in a Satanic version of this should read Dr. LaVey's thoughts in his essay titled "What's New?", contained in "The Devil's Notebook".

Magus Gilmore wrote an article in "The Black Flame", Vol 5 Issue 1 & 2, titled "Time Travel - Cheap & Easy", which also reflects the Satanic angle of this fascinating topic.

#208691 - 12/16/06 12:37 PM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Basically, my idea of time is this: it's all the present. When you remember something from the past, you are remembering it now in the present and when it occured it was the present. When you make plans for the future, you do it in the present and when it will occur it will be the present.

You see, we are always in the present, even in the future or the past.

#208692 - 12/16/06 01:08 PM Re: Time Travel [Re: LightAngel]
Groundhog Offline

Mark Twain was way ahead of a lot of people on the idea of time travel, while not real scientific, A Connecticuit Yankee in King Arthur's Court looks like a really fantastic book to read. I was reading some of it on line and am currently bidding for it on EBAY. I guess that's what prompted me to even write this. I mean there could be time travelers here but if they told someone, they would probably be medicated.

#208693 - 12/16/06 01:13 PM Re: Time Travel [Re: J. Hagalaz]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
Quote:

We use time to measure change, but would we be so concerned with time if we never died?

I plan on not dying. Time does not mean much to me.
Only to the people around me.

#208694 - 12/16/06 02:00 PM Re: Time Travel [Re: $lesk]
Alia Offline
CoS Member

Loc: At Sorrow's End
"Time" is an invention of the mind, a way to divide our existence in two (or three, if you count the present as one piece): what has been and what is yet to be. I think people are fooling themselves, running from the past and chasing the future. (It makes absolutely no sense, but when was the last time they did?)
Anyway, I think time travel is possible - I will at least be open to the possibility, even if I don't actually believe it. When time is subjective, we should be able to decide for ourselves where to be. And: if a memory is relived, isn't that like traveling to the past?
The present is where the attention dwells. I cannot see that it is anything else. Maybe I will, though, when LightAngel shares her ideas.

HS!

Carpe Noctem

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >

Forum Stats
12164 Members
73 Forums
43923 Topics
405752 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements