Topic Options
#208960 - 12/17/06 10:56 AM Youíve been Invited
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
I found an interesting website where a Xian has made a public challenge for those with knowledge of science to prove the bibleís claim of creation wrong.

Heís not looking for religious argument per se but scientific facts and laws that show the claims made by Xianís can or canít hold water.

So if you have an interest in science and evolution and can back any statements with fact your are invited to do so.
It should be interesting conversation in science and reason.

http://advisoronid.blogspot.com/

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#208961 - 12/17/06 03:56 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida

What makes you think that?

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#208962 - 12/17/06 04:06 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Science and reason hardly go hand in hand with xtianity.

Think about this: if this xtian is so confident in his so called knowledge, why issue a challenge? This is more of a showcase for his or her ability to "show off" before other xtians and pin the good guy badge on him or herself. "Lookit me, I conquered the evil evolutionists".

All this person, or anyone who has questions of this sort has to do is read, and above all, understand Daniel Dennett's "Darwin's Dangerous Idea".

Thanks for the post, this should be entertaining!

#208963 - 12/17/06 05:32 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I donít think it would be possible to have such a conversation with a pin-head who thinks that one can prove or disprove the existence of god.

Science and religion are completely incompatible topics. Science is about gathering and studying evidence in an attempt to come up with a logical explanation. Most religions are about faith and belief. In order to have faith in a religion (or anything else for that matter), one has to ingnore logic.

Faith abandons logic.

#208964 - 12/17/06 05:47 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Varg_Gorgon Offline
Banned

Loc: Canada
I took the time to read a couple of replies that this gentleman provides, and while he does know how to involve the reader in his responces he totally avoids answering the questions. However, I did find interesting that bit about the snake and the sand... I wasn't aware of that argument, although it's a technicality (whether snakes actually eat sand seems irrelevant as one'd need to take most of the fables in the bible with literary license... do you use that expression in English?).

#208965 - 12/17/06 05:49 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
You will not convince him you are right and he will not convince you, it is a waste of time to even try. It is probably his own doubts in the subject that caused him to make the offer.

#208966 - 12/17/06 07:42 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mr Sam]
Cholinergic Offline
<B>CoS Member</B>

Loc: UK
Quote:

You will not convince him you are right and he will not convince you, it is a waste of time to even try. It is probably his own doubts in the subject that caused him to make the offer.

The only point would be entertainment, I would respond but I have better things to do. I do sometimes enjoy such debates though.

#208967 - 12/17/06 11:21 PM Re: One Answer [Re: Mars]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City

Hello!

The bible creation story plainly states that PLANTS were growing on the earth BEFORE THE SUN WAS CREATED!!!!

What more needs to be said?

#208968 - 12/17/06 11:47 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
From what little I bothered to read, he's not that familiar with science anyway. He's got a basic understanding just like any other layman, and a few things he simply puts a philosophical spin on.

Then there's the principles that he flat out denies because they're not in step with his "Genesis" belief.

Talking reason and facts with a fanatical faith-head is a dead end street.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#208969 - 12/17/06 11:56 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

There's a Penn and Teller- Bullshit! episode dedicated to this subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kbE5sXF6g&mode=related&search=

It's scary that people actually believe this stuff.

I have a 110 million year old ammonite fossil which is tangible evidence that these people are nuts.

#208970 - 12/18/06 01:58 AM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Challenging a Christian to a duel of scientific wits? What a funny concept and in fact futile.

My time is better spent talking with those I enjoy.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

ďThe first principle is that you must not fool yourselfóand you are the easiest person to fool.Ē ~Richard Feynman

#208971 - 12/18/06 02:10 AM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Discipline]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Quote:

My time is better spent talking with those I enjoy.

Amen.

#208972 - 12/21/06 03:09 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Virus9]
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
Quote:

What makes you think that?

Greetings Virus.

Iím under the impression that your question is more on the lines of a statement as ďDonít waste your time. You canít change a Xtion.Ē

Iím in agreement with the others on this. However, it isnít an attempt to change anything. Rather itís being entertained by the nonsense a Xtion says compared to logic, science and reason.

Those interested in the subject may find it entertaining and ultimately will discuss the issues with themselves.

I was at his site today and heís gotten an increase of responses by logical people that for me is interesting. Itís all a mater of what interests you.
And who knows, maybe Jesus Boy will learn something after all.

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#208973 - 12/21/06 03:50 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
The only thing this kids blog shows is that he has been successfully brainwashed.

Not point in talking logic, reason et al..with someone who cant question and think for themselves.

Above all, the Bible itself was written 2,000 yrs ago?
And there were how many more ancient civilisations BEFORE that?

La bonne cuisine est la base du vťritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#208974 - 12/21/06 03:54 PM Re: Youíve been Invited [Re: Mars]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Why challenge the already mentally challenged?

HS!

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406027 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements