Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209220 - 12/18/06 04:10 PM Quick way to shut up a Xian
SadisticRage Offline

Loc: IL
Ask them what kind of Parent sends there son to die. A real parent would die for their child.

#209221 - 12/18/06 04:13 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
Care to elaborate?

#209222 - 12/18/06 04:18 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: Mr Sam]
SadisticRage Offline

They are suppose to be family people and care for thier fellow man. Although thier main Story is a Father who sent his son to die. What a great parent!

#209223 - 12/18/06 04:18 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Cute theory, but it doesn't really work in practice. If anything, it just makes them want to tell you about Jesus that much more.

The quickest way I've found to shut them up is to not provide them with an audience in the first place.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#209224 - 12/18/06 04:19 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Mr Sam Offline

Were Jesus and God not the same person? What has this got to do with Satanism?

#209225 - 12/18/06 04:19 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Lust Offline

You are giving validity to the mythology, by suggesting that an anthropomorphic deity sent his son into the world to die. I prefer to laugh at them.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#209226 - 12/18/06 04:26 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
PWG Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: MI
Virus9 has the right idea. Just walk away. Or don't engage them in the first place.

#209227 - 12/18/06 04:31 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: Virus9]
redheadgrl Offline

I agree, it is a waste of time and energy to prompt them in any way, even if it is a guilt motive.

#209228 - 12/18/06 04:31 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I'm past the stage that I need to create arguments against Christianity.

But this argument doesn't shut them up, it simply gives them the opportunity to expound upon Gods love of man and his willingness to send his "only begotten son" to die for our sins. The power of his forgiveness is total they say, and it's evidenced by this event.

Trying to use reason against faith is unproductive and will often make you the target of ridicule and attack. Just let sleeping dogs lay when you're around them, it won't make you any less of a person.

#209229 - 12/18/06 04:36 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: Virus9]
SadisticRage Offline

When you have bible thumpers as inlaws it can be harder to walk away. Maybe I am alone, but sometimes I find it fun to take their great stories and poke holes in them. Also taking some of their own words, spinning them and throwing them back in their face.

#209230 - 12/18/06 04:38 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Mr Sam Offline

They will always have something to say back, their arguments are bullet proof because if you get close to trumping them they just whip out the old "God works in mysterious ways" and you're done.

#209231 - 12/18/06 04:38 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
As long as you acknowledge that it's an indulgence, rather than a need, then nothing is wrong with doing that.

I just don't see the point, but that doesn't invalidate your right to do such a thing.

#209232 - 12/18/06 05:13 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
When you have bible thumpers as inlaws it can be harder to walk away.

Perhaps you could tell them to get out of your house.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#209233 - 12/18/06 05:25 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
It sounds as if you've gotten yourself in rather deep.

To me, anyone who "believes" that an Emaciated Dead Jew is flying around in the sky and that if they impress him while they are alive they get to hang out with him when they're dead, has a mental problem.

Look at the latest DSM and try to find what mental illness goes along with these symptoms:

- Person's behavior dependant on doing what a fictional voice says to do.
- Person talks to an imaginary friend in hope that the imaginary friend will help them.
- Person believes that certain actions they do will ingratiate themselves to their imaginary friend.

You get the idea.

You are dealing with people who might not be thinking properly. Hopefully, you have other things to do than overly concern yourself with them.

#209234 - 12/18/06 08:43 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Mile_Highlander Offline

Quote:

When you have bible thumpers as inlaws it can be harder to walk away. Maybe I am alone, but sometimes I find it fun to take their great stories and poke holes in them. Also taking some of their own words, spinning them and throwing them back in their face.

First stage..... This too shall pass....

#209235 - 12/18/06 09:28 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: Poetaster]
slayermet420 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I agree with AmbientLogic. Trying to argue with them is like arguing with a rock. All you'll do is end up tired and short of breath. Not worth the time.

#209236 - 12/18/06 09:38 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Evol Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
As much as I would wish it that simple, I have used that previously and received the "A parent would suffer more watching their child die than dying themselves and that it was man's choice which god entrusted his son to and blah blah blah". The simplest solution is indeed to ignore. Sometimes I pretend to go along with it because I can laugh inside as I counter each ridulous assertion in myself without feeling the need to express that to them. There is no trump card, there is only a choice to recognise your true nature or deny it. If they would rather it were the way they choose to think it is then let them suffer guilt ridden with belief in their sin to the grave. Their suffering merely makes my pleasure all the more enjoyable because they don't want it, and I can enjoy it peacefully, with a relaxed state of mind knowing that they will not try to take it from me, that they will only try to take me from it and since it is me, how can they possibly hope to do that.
"There are problems in today's world that cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them" Albert Einstein "A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." Charles Darwin

#209237 - 12/18/06 11:25 PM Re: Quick way to shut up a Xian [Re: SadisticRage]
Byzantium Offline

Loc: South Africa
A French writer once said that you can tell Satan is more powerful than God by the fact that he manages to win the battle for souls hands-down without having to sacrifice any of his children.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements