Topic Options
#211151 - 12/26/06 07:51 PM Sacred Geometry
lazer_beast Offline

Loc: Sol III
Has anyone else here been studying the Sacred Geometry for their rituals or magic? I'm finding it very effective.

If so, what sites have you been getting info from? I got started with www.floweroflife.org and www.deathandhell.com.

There's a lot of other relative info on the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn websites as well.

If this is off-topic, warn me.

#211152 - 12/26/06 08:00 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: lazer_beast]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
I have.

My source is not actually any books (or web material) freely available to the public, rather, it is from another organization of which I am a member.

I see no problem with taking elements from other traditions, if one so desires; I think one of the most important things however is understanding why certain things work.

Otherwise it's like playing poker without knowing what one has in one's hand.

Incidentally, if not many CoS members reply to this, it's because we have a whole forum Downstairs devoted to Greater Magic.

Everything in its proper place.

But I think it's ok to talk a bit up here. Just that many, Myself included, will not go into much detail in a public place.

#211153 - 12/26/06 08:04 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: Linguascelesta]
lazer_beast Offline

I see. Can't fault the moderation for making it a separate forum, it's probably not appropriate for most.

I might have some theories on that organization, but I'll keep them to myself for now.

I do like to think I understand the why of things, thanks to a lot of time well spent... most of the links that I posted are review in a way, I tend to learn first through intuition and lessons in life, then am inspired to quantify it further through research. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my membership before I can see what's going on down there huh?

#211154 - 12/26/06 08:13 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: lazer_beast]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

I see. Can't fault the moderation for making it a separate forum, it's probably not appropriate for most.

I think it's more a matter of how much people are willing to discuss in a public place, than it is of being "appropriate".

Quote:

I might have some theories on that organization, but I'll keep them to myself for now.

Oky dokey.

Quote:

I do like to think I understand the why of things,

A lot of people like to think they understand the why of things. Some even do understand. I understand at least some things, and I find that this brings truth to the dictum that "Knowledge is power" (Yes, and power corrupts, so study hard and be evil, kids).

Quote:

thanks to a lot of time well spent... most of the links that I posted are review in a way,

Most of the two links?

Quote:

I tend to learn first through intuition and lessons in life,

I learn through direct experience. Books are stunningly good pointers, though; as long as one remembers to maintain open-minded scepticism and not trust anything that one has not tested for oneself.

Quote:

then am inspired to quantify it further through research.

Practical, literary, or both? I approve of each, though.

Quote:

I guess I'll have to wait until I get my membership before I can see what's going on down there huh?

Much of what I'm thinking of isn't really discussed there either. But don't let Me put you off.

#211155 - 12/26/06 08:27 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: Linguascelesta]
lazer_beast Offline

Quote:

A lot of people like to think they understand the why of things. Some even do understand. I understand at least some things, and I find that this brings truth to the dictum that "Knowledge is power" (Yes, and power corrupts, so study hard and be evil, kids).

I agree 100%

Quote:

Most of the two links?

Two direct links, two in words only. I felt it would be inappropriate to spam a large number of URLs. From the Flower of Life site and Wikipedia I had more than 50 browser windows open, on a broad array of loosely connected topics. You might consider a browse, unless you know it all

Quote:

I learn through direct experience. Books are stunningly good pointers, though; as long as one remembers to maintain open-minded scepticism and not trust anything that one has not tested for oneself.

Direct experience is one of the things I mentioned as well. I listen to intuition a lot - sometimes it gets me into trouble, but I always learn from it. Knowing when to close your mind and how to keep it open are valuable skills in my program. Trust is a matter of faith, generally I trust what my religion doesn't deflect for me.

Quote:

Practical, literary, or both? I approve of each, though.

Both, of course.

Quote:

Much of what I'm thinking of isn't really discussed there either. But don't let Me put you off.

I'm sure I'll find whatever is to be interesting. The only one putting me off is me :P

#211156 - 12/26/06 08:29 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: lazer_beast]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:

Has anyone else here been studying the Sacred Geometry for their rituals or magic? I'm finding it very effective.

If so, what sites have you been getting info from?

I've had a lot of fun with "sacred geometry". On the front center of my altar I keep a box containing five pieces of my birthstone shaped into each of the five platonic solids. Though most of what I do derives from just playing around with some of the mathematics on my own, which is something I do a lot because math is one of my passions anyway. One obvious source for me was the "Law of the Trapezoid" article from The Devil's Notebook. An initial inspiration to me from many years back was Huntley's The Divine Proportion (though looking back, I think Mario Livio's book on the golden ratio was much better objectively written). As far as ritual-related geometry goes, that's what I'm playing around with most of the time: trapezoids and golden ratios. I've also had fun making labyrinths too.

One of the problems with many "sacred geometry" sources is that like obsessive numerology sites, the math is sometimes plain wrong. Sometimes mystics try to pass themselves off as mathematicians and make embarrassing claims about being able to square-the-circle, etc. Miranda Lundy's Sacred Geometry is one of those books, but I still find it to be fun to look through.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#211157 - 12/26/06 08:32 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: lazer_beast]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Quote:

From the Flower of Life site and Wikipedia I had more than 50 browser windows open, on a broad array of loosely connected topics. You might consider a browse, unless you know it all

Or unless I have other things I prefer to do. Actually, to make this reply I have got up from lounging on a nice rug where I was rereading sections from The Satanic Witch. My library is somewhat eclectic (See here for a reasonable sample of some of My preferred reading), though it's always good to revisit classics.

Quote:

Knowing when to close your mind and how to keep it open are valuable skills in my program.

Well said.

Quote:

Trust is a matter of faith, generally I trust what my religion doesn't deflect for me.

Would you care to expand on this a little?

#211158 - 12/26/06 08:38 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: Bill_M]
lazer_beast Offline

Very cool. I'm studying more into mathematics so that I might better quantify what I'm observing... generally when web sources bust out the math, I just gloss over it because I'm not at the level where I can say it's wrong or right. From what you say, I'm probably not missing much in doing so.

Most of what I theorize about geometry comes from one woman giving me an idea, and about 14 hours of walking in circles and figure eights on a security patrol, probably about 30 km of deep thought.

I'll look into those books as I have time. Meanwhile, if you feel inclined, I'd like have some math to study on this subject that you feel is accurate. I'm curious. I probably won't get it at first, but at least I'll know what I need to learn to quantify.

#211159 - 12/26/06 09:01 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: lazer_beast]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:

Meanwhile, if you feel inclined, I'd like have some math to study on this subject that you feel is accurate.

I think any general academic textbook on geometry will do, combined with fundamental math skills (general algebra, general number theory, etc.) used for understanding things like the ancient Greeks' proofs in planar and solid geometry.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#211160 - 12/26/06 09:18 PM Re: Sacred Geometry [Re: Bill_M]
lazer_beast Offline

True enough. I'll be getting to that, as time permits... need a fat chunk of moneys to sit on for awhile so I have time to catch up on things.

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements