Topic Options
#213627 - 01/06/07 06:56 AM "Super Deluxe" Scrabble is Difficult to Find
TheAbysmal Offline

My parents celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of their marriage this week coming. It is such a delight for Me to see two people that really do so well together, and two people I love so dearly, too. I thought for such a special occasion in their lives, it would really make Me feel good to send them something extra special to commemorate it: A deluxe Scrabble set. They both enjoy the game (Me, too). Why not buy them one of those gold plated, rich mahogany Scrabble sets, eh? What an endeavor.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I seem to remember all the time getting "junk mail" featuring custom, finely-crafted Scrabble sets, Monopoly sets, Chess, and Lord of the Rings memorabilia. Now that I actually want to buy one, the only deluxe Scrabble sets I can find are discontinued Franklin Mint editions on eBay for a fortune. They are nice indeed, though a bit above My pay grade.

Well, the search continues, and I am sure I will soon find one more suitably priced. In the meantime, I invite your suggestions on other gift ideas.

I am shooting for something in the $200 to $500 range, not jewelry or clothing... something they can use or do together, and I have overdone it with restaurant gift cerfiticates.

Do any of you have some suggestions?

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

#213628 - 01/06/07 07:13 AM Re: "Super Deluxe" Scrabble is Difficult to Find [Re: TheAbysmal]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I found this, but the only Gold Edition I could find is a computer game.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#213629 - 01/06/07 07:26 AM Re: "Super Deluxe" Scrabble is Difficult to Find [Re: Poetaster]
TheAbysmal Offline

Yeah, I saw that one around--though it was not available on Amazon at the time. The only drawback to it is the tiles are not real onxy or even obsidian, but painted wood. Haha... it would be so much easier if My parents loved Chess! I just may wind up going with this one in the end. Now that it is on Amazon, all the better. Thanks!

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

#213630 - 01/06/07 07:36 AM Re: "Super Deluxe" Scrabble is Difficult to Find [Re: TheAbysmal]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I remember those lovely special edition boards.

Beautiful wood, and elegant game pieces.

I wanted one Myself but never seemed to be able to lay down the coinage for it.

We have a Franklin Mint store here in the Circle Center Mall that used to have these up for sale (The Monopoly sets as well).

The problem is, they were expensive THEN so you finding one now seeing as they are no longer being manufactured may prove difficult especially at the price range you listed.

This may seem such a simple suggestion, but if you wish to give your parents something nice for their anniversary?

How about you get a regular Scrabble game and spell out something of meaning to them on the board and then....

Play a game with them.

I could think of less thoughtful gifts than a challenging game of Scrabble with those you hold near and dear.

Could be fun! (let them win) it's their anniversary.

Good luck in your quest.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#213631 - 01/06/07 10:03 AM Re: "Super Deluxe" Scrabble is Difficult to Find [Re: TheAbysmal]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
How about a Custom scrabble board?

Best I can come up with I'm afraid.

#213632 - 01/06/07 11:20 PM Re: "Super Deluxe" Scrabble is Difficult to Find [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
TheAbysmal Offline

That is very interesting. That did not show up on My searches.

I wound up going with a deluxe Super Scrabble, deluxe meaning the board rotates and comes in a "collectible" tin. It is quite attractive, featuring more tiles and squares than standard Scrabble with quadruple-letter and -word bonus squares. In fact, I just may get one for Myself in short order. It looks to be a fun twist on the original game, but I just so happened to purchase the last one. Maybe next week another will turn up.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405208 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements