Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214034 - 01/08/07 10:27 AM Weapons of Choice
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: San Diego, CA
In celebration of the Winter Solstice I rewarded myself for a years worth of productivity with some fire of my own. All completely legal and registered.

A no-ban AK-47. Though the full auto can be easily (but illegally) enabled, the kick-back and spray would do more damage to your walls then a home intruder.

AR-15, civilian model. A slightly more precise and convenient weapon, I've been using this for quite some time at the range for competition shooting.

New York makes it a pain to own a handgun, but I'll be going through the training and process to obtain one shortly.

Though I can handle my own in a bar fight or street encounter, I'm more concerned with the security of my domain. Any recommendations?
This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud of ourselves; to act in such a way that some part of us lives on.
- Oswald Spengler

#214035 - 01/08/07 11:50 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
BlueHeeler Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I've never understood the American culture and this want (compulsion) to own firearms just because you can.

#214036 - 01/08/07 11:55 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
While it's not a super sexy choice, it's hard to beat a short shotgun for close range home protection. Keep it as short as is legal, and no choke. You're basic low buck 12 gauge pump full of buck shot is easy to aim quickly, and packs a hell of a whallop at the kind of range you'll be dealing with indoors. But, it won't go through the walls of your house, into the neighbors house, and into the next five houses behind them.

#214037 - 01/08/07 11:57 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
Not because we can. Because we should.

#214038 - 01/08/07 11:59 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Noelia Offline

Loc: Spain
I like guns... I see nothing wrong with guns... People keep guns because they like them. I think we had this argument a while back, motorway accidents account for a very high percentage of deaths in western countries, yet no one gives disclaimers about cars. Personally I think a drunk should never be given a drivers license, but I fail to see why a mature and responsible adult should not be allowed to carry a weapon.

I think that the problem with guns is that the laws allow any misfit to get a license, I am not sure of how the problem can be solved but the problem is not with the guns but with the misfits!!

#214040 - 01/08/07 12:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Quote:

I've never understood the American culture and this want (compulsion) to own firearms just because you can.

How on earth is the love of guns confined to America?

Personally I own a gun because it's fun to shoot. Also, to paraphrase the movie True Romance - it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#214041 - 01/08/07 12:08 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

I never understood compulsive knee-jerk reactions.

Let's be constructive, how would you handle an armed home intrusion?

Let's not wax poetically how better the world would be without guns.
This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud of ourselves; to act in such a way that some part of us lives on.
- Oswald Spengler

#214042 - 01/08/07 12:25 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

Because our country wasn't started as a penal colony, we have certain freedoms you might not really understand. Other than that, I'm not touching this with a 60-foot pole.

#214043 - 01/08/07 12:26 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Marcato]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Very good point, I was thinking of a Remington 870.
- Oswald Spengler

#214044 - 01/08/07 12:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Full auto is fun but 3-round burst is more controlable. Get yourself a FFL and then get a Class III dealer's license.

If you want to get a pistol and haven't done this already, find a range where you can rent different ones.

After reading information (maybe even on this site ) written by knowledgeable people and getting to try one, I'm currently looking into the HK USP compact S&W .40. It is light, easy to conceal, has good incapacitation power and is well made. If you do a web search, you might even find a website dedicated to CCW issues.

Good luck with your decision and don't risk a felony over a select-fire AK.

#214045 - 01/08/07 12:56 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
Quote:

I am from the UK, if it were feasible, I would own some sort of firearm, most likely a 6-shot revolver (to cater for my personal aesthetic.)

I see no problem with responsible, upstanding, psychologically stable members of any social/racial demographic owning weapons for their own personal protection, I think Shade's quote did it said it best

It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

#214046 - 01/08/07 01:09 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

I own guns and I LIKE GUNS.

I don't own them because 'I can'.

I own them for protection.

I also know how to fire these weapons. I don't blindly own a gun because again "I CAN". I know how to use it.

I am not going to get into this whole gun issue. It's futile.

Those who get it do, and those who don't? Don't.

It certainly appears to be an issue of where one lives and one's upbringing.

I have a friend (Airline Pilot) from Canada and he does NOT get it either.

He gives Me BS about how crime is lower in Canada and in other places without guns.

BS!

I'd rather have a weapon and not need it than to need one and not have it. This goes for MANY of the things I have in My life.

I miss Charlton Heston.....

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#214047 - 01/08/07 01:30 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

If you are prepared to train with a firearm (which I expect you would given your obvious enthusiasm), I would go with a M1911 every time.
If you want something you can just pull out and shoot, especially if the gun may be used by family members, then go for something like a full- size Glock. Go for a .45.

Was your AK a pre ban or built on a flat with US parts?

I am very much a 'gun nut' and living in the UK with our stupid laws is deeply unpleasant. If I didn't have family, friends and businesses here I would move to the US in the blink of an eye.
I was just (about an hour ago) talking to a friend about a trip to the US specifically so that I can shoot a handgun again. The only handguns I have been able to shoot since 1996 (when they were banned) was a Ruger Mark II when I went to Amsterdam two years ago, and we were only allowed 50 rounds.
I try to keep my hand in by shooting air pistols, and I own several 'deactivated' firearms so that I can practice dry firing and field stripping, but it's obviously not the same as the real thing.
Any nice American girls want to marry me?

#214048 - 01/08/07 01:45 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: RandomStranger]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Quote:

Get yourself a FFL and then get a Class III dealer's license.

Excellent, just the kind of advice I needed.

My local range doesn't have rentals, but I know one a couple towns away that might offer that and I'll have to look into it after getting my permit.

The HK .40 does have excellent stopping power from what I understand. I haven't fired one myself as I don't have a permit yet and my range is pretty strict on the safety rules.

I wouldn't enable the select-fire on the AK, not worth the trouble. Don't want to defend my home and end up facing charges in front of a bleeding heart judge.
- Oswald Spengler

#214049 - 01/08/07 01:48 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I currently own a shotgun, a Mossberg model 88 Maverick 12 gauge. I use it to hunt and I keep it where it could very well save my ass in the event of a home invasion. I've also been considering getting a carry permit to purchase a handgun. I was thinking of going with a .45 myself because 1.)They are good for hunting and home security and 2.)They don't have much more kick to them than a 9mm.

Before you ask why I would want to hunt with a handgun, I'll tell you. I am one handed and while firing a shotgun isn't a difficult feat for me, sometimes it's nice to be able to take care of business with a handgun.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12255 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements