Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214050 - 01/08/07 01:53 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Mr_47]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

If you get a 1911 without a recoil spring guide rod, you can cock it one handed by pressing the recoil spring plug area against a hard surface (or a shoe), which is impossible with most auto pistols

#214051 - 01/08/07 02:01 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Noelia]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

I think we had this argument a while back, motorway accidents account for a very high percentage of deaths in western countries, yet no one gives disclaimers about cars.

Visit a webforum for bicyclists. You'll see plenty of anti-asshole driver sentiment and plenty of outright anti-car sentiments too.

But back on topic, I'm not presently a gun owner. I don't feel the need to keep any for self-defense -- I live in a neighborhood where the odds of the fabled "crack addict breaking down my door" are quite a bit lower than the chances of the entire block being blown to pieces by a tornado.

If that were to change, however, I do have some definite opinions on what firearms I would choose. I'm a sucker for the classics -- all of my preferences date to World War II or earlier. For a basic sidearm you just can't top the good old Colt M1911, and I'd select either a Walther PPK or a Colt Detective's Special ("snubbie" revolver) as a backup weapon.

-Chess

#214052 - 01/08/07 02:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: San Diego, CA
It was built after the expiration of the Assault Weapons Ban, using it with civilian .223 Remington cartridges.

I've also been firing a Springfield rifle, but it needs some work as it's having some trouble chambering rounds.
This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud of ourselves; to act in such a way that some part of us lives on.
- Oswald Spengler

#214053 - 01/08/07 02:08 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
Thanks for that tip.

#214054 - 01/08/07 02:48 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Mr_47]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Quote:

2.)They (.45s) don't have much more kick to them than a 9mm.

I agree with this from personal experience. However, anyone with smaller hands, like myself will find a 9mm much easier to handle. I have a Taurus Millenium 9mm and it fits my hands perfectly. Also have a Glock 9mm but it has a slightly larger grip. The Sig Sauer .45 is kickass but again, slightly heavier and slightly harder to manage for smaller hands and weaker arms.

So from this American girl's perspective (stop flirting with me doctor_beat, ), my Taurus is perfect.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#214055 - 01/08/07 02:52 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Yep, and that is what makes America great because you can actually experience a peaceful and safe armed societly without fear and guilt.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214056 - 01/08/07 03:02 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

Though I can handle my own in a bar fight or street encounter, I'm more concerned with the security of my domain. Any recommendations?

Get yourself a Mossberg Persuader/Cruisr.

Link.

Or a Benelli M4

Link

I've owned many, many, many shotguns. These two are the most reliable weapons I know of. You can literally do a face plant into swamp mud, get up, cycle this weapon and fire all seven rounds without jamming.

What you do is you load it like this. Slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, 00 buck. You'll want an open choke on it or a plain rifled slug barrel with iron sights and not a bead. The rifling will help spread the 00 buck in spaces that are closer than 5 yards.

Use Remington Coppersolid saboted slugs, I also like Remington or Winchester 00 buck.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#214057 - 01/08/07 03:12 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Shade]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

2.)They (.45s) don't have much more kick to them than a 9mm.

I agree with this from personal experience. However, anyone with smaller hands, like myself will find a 9mm much easier to handle. I have a Taurus Millenium 9mm and it fits my hands perfectly. Also have a Glock 9mm but it has a slightly larger grip. The Sig Sauer .45 is kickass but again, slightly heavier and slightly harder to manage for smaller hands and weaker arms.

Have you tried a 1911? (can you tell I'm a 1911 fan?...)
They have quite a slim grip because of the single stack magazine, and the controls are easy to reach too.

Quote:

So from this American girl's perspective (stop flirting with me doctor_beat, ), my Taurus is perfect.

You're already married so I'm afraid you're no good to me

#214058 - 01/08/07 03:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

Any recommendations?

Move away from New York. But I have a feeling that's not what you meant...

You say you live in NY- do you live in a flat? If so, I would not reccomend a shotgun due to it's overpenetration. Frangible ammo can be used, but this has been known to disintegrate against heavy clothing, belt buckles, etc.

Handguns are always good for home defense. They can't be easily grabbed or brushed aside in a confined space like a shotgun. I personally sleep with a S&W Model 19 .357 magnum under my pillow (seriously!). I alternate the chambers with two .38s, then a .357 (then repeat).

Handguns are a very personal thing, and the best advice is to rent the ones you are interested in to get a good feel for them. This will help you decide what you really like. Had I not done this, I'd have never known the pleasures of shooting a .44 Magnum (which, by the way, I also don't recommend for home defense!).

#214059 - 01/08/07 03:21 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Oh, and get a good flashlight and some proper defence ammunition.....

Ha ha! listen to me! I live in a country where there is a mandatory five year sentence for owning even a single shot .22 and I'm giving handgun advice!
I do subscribe to Guns and Ammo and a few other US publications and read a lot on the 'net though.
Want to hear something funny? I have to have the magazines imported because in my country, it is illegal for a shop to display a magazine with a picture of a handgun on the cover....

#214060 - 01/08/07 03:24 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Willow_NightEyes Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I don't see the hubbub over firearms anyways. Good blades are more beautiful and legal almost everywhere.
Darkest Dreams, - Willow NightEyes --------------------------------------- ~I don't talk with close-minded people; they tend to harbour brain fungus~ ---------------------------------------- Profesor: Nothing's impossible if you believe it; that's what being a scientist is all about! Kid: Nooo, that's what being a magical elf's all about.

#214061 - 01/08/07 03:30 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Willow_NightEyes]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I don't see the hubbub over firearms anyways. Good blades are more beautiful and legal almost everywhere.

Not here unfortunately- I can (and do) own a lot of knives and swords, but if I used one on a burglar, I would almost certainly wind up in prison. I keep a baseball bat for burglars, but I would still have to explain why I had it to the police if I ever used it as a weapon.

#214062 - 01/08/07 03:31 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Oh, and get a good flashlight and some proper defence ammunition.....

If I'm not mistaken, hollow-points are illegal in NY.

#214063 - 01/08/07 03:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Willow_NightEyes]
London Offline
CoS Member

Knives are illegal to carry in many places guns aren't. As far as home defense goes, close-quarter knife fighting is far less preferable to having a gun.

#214064 - 01/08/07 03:38 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Especially if they have a gun- don't bring a knife to a gunfight...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements