Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214065 - 01/08/07 04:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
No, I haven't tried one.... but Oooooo, I just looked up M1911 on wiki - I think I am in love!

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#214066 - 01/08/07 04:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

Especially if they have a gun- don't bring a knife to a gunfight...

Please watch the following video.

Video Link.

Knives, short swords, and swords are NOT to be underestimated in close quarters.

Hell.

One of the best weapons you can get on the cheap for defence inside your home is a 5.99 machete available at any hardware store.

Within ten feet, I can close, and make two accurate cuts with a machete, and be behind my target, before said target can react and pull the trigger on a pistol. I know this because I've tried it. I can completely cut off, or sever the tendons on the hand holding the pistol before they can pull the trigger. This is easily replicatable. Get two half inch dowels and duct tape them together, now wrap them with some of that pink foam used for packing. Then put an old shirt sleeve on it. Take your $6 machete and commence to cleanly remove nice neat chunks of your fake arm.

The best part is. Machetes have no muzzleblast or report.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#214067 - 01/08/07 04:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Willow_NightEyes Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Knives are illegal to carry in many places guns aren't.

As far as I know, knives up to 6" are fine to carry around here.
Darkest Dreams, - Willow NightEyes --------------------------------------- ~I don't talk with close-minded people; they tend to harbour brain fungus~ ---------------------------------------- Profesor: Nothing's impossible if you believe it; that's what being a scientist is all about! Kid: Nooo, that's what being a magical elf's all about.

#214068 - 01/08/07 04:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I currently do not own a gun, but if I choose I can. I prefer the kind of system we have here. We are required to take firing lessons and/or pass an exam and passing a background check before being allowed to buy ammunition and/or a gun (depending on where in the country you are).

Also the license is pink and I could use it to get into a bar.

My weapon of choice would be more of a tool. I want a hunting rifle, something small enough that I can handle, but big enough to take down a moose.

Since I don't have a license nor the money to get one or a gun, I have to opt for knives.

I currently carry two knives on me. Both are considered tools, they are sharp enough to cut through metal. One is the titanium Leek the other is the barium carbide Chive; both are by Ken Onion (Kershaw). I bought my mom a lovely Benchmade that she keeps in her purse.

#214069 - 01/08/07 04:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Willow_NightEyes]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
The only knives that we cannot carry are:
"a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife"

we also cannot carry push blades or sword canes. There are no length laws in Canada; however, in a school it can be no longer than two inches. As far as I can find, there is no length law in Ontario either.

#214070 - 01/08/07 04:35 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Felstorm]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
There's a big difference between having a gun in hand, with finger on trigger, which most will do if their houses are broken into, and having a gun in a holster. The "21 Foot Rule" dictates that it takes 3 seconds or less for an attacker at 21 feet to close in on you. This is less time than the average person can draw a gun.

Those cop's mistakes were in reaching for their gun in the first place. They should have widened the gap first, then drew weapons.

#214071 - 01/08/07 04:38 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Shade]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

No, I haven't tried one.... but Oooooo, I just looked up M1911 on wiki - I think I am in love!

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion!

I'm surprised you haven't seen one before- they have been around longer than pneumatic tires!
They were US Army issue until they were replaced with the Beretta in the 80's.
Several companies in the US make a clone of the 1911 and they are very popular with CCW holders.
Wilson Combat and Kimber make some lovely ones

#214072 - 01/08/07 04:45 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: tovasshi]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I currently carry two knives on me. Both are considered tools, they are sharp enough to cut through metal. One is the titanium Leek the other is the barium carbide Chive; both are by Ken Onion (Kershaw). I bought my mom a lovely Benchmade that she keeps in her purse.

I have a Chive- lovely little knife. At the moment they are 'legal' in the UK, meaning they won't be for long. As soon as some idiot gets caught doing something stupid with one they'll be banned.

In the Uk, we can only carry a knife if the blade is 3" or less, is capable of folding, and does not lock open , meaning we can only carry slipjoint folders (like a Swiss Army Knife)
A locking folder classes as a fixed blade, which is illegal to carry.
It is illegal to carry any form of weapon whatsoever, or any article that can be adapted for use as a weapon- even a mini maglite would be treated with suspicion.

#214073 - 01/08/07 05:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
BlueHeeler Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Quote:

Let's not wax poetically how better the world would be without guns.

Sorry, my intention of posting that comment was in no way an anti-gun sentiment. More of an observation on culture. I have no problems whatsoever with responsible adults owning, or even carrying firearms. It's the irresponsible ones I dont like having them, this obviously leads to the necessity for the responsible to own them.

In Australia firearms are very hard to get and own. Criminal history checks, a safe required for storage, bullets to be kept in totally seperate area of house etc...

I carry a 9mm Glock everyday at work. With controlled expansion hollow point and designed for one purpose. I have pointed it at a few people. One time I actually thought "today is the day I kill a man" and until placed in that situation its very hard to understand the feeling. Luckily he realised I wasn't kidding and didnt take another step.

To quote Slayer "the power of a gun used with conviction."

If you own a gun for protection be totally prepared to use it. Many may think they are, but until that moment its hard to be certain.

I do like the suggestion of the shotgun. Considering most shootings happen within 3 metres (9 feet). If you are going for a pistol the Glock with a 110mm barrel is small and extremely reliable. Accuracy isnt that great though.

#214074 - 01/08/07 05:42 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I've never understood the American culture and this want (compulsion) to own firearms just because you can

I've never understood non-Americans' obsession of judging and criticizing a culture they only know through exaggerated and stereotyped caricatures seen in Hollywood movies.

#214075 - 01/08/07 07:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Kwolf Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada, United Stat...
Depending on one's personal taste, different weapon choices will apply. Personally, I aim for reliability in battle as in the event I have to use any of my weapons, I want them to work properly to heighten the chances of my success at retaining my life and good health. One thing to think about when purchasing a gun is looking at the future. If you can see yourself ten years from now either still owning or recall owning such specific weapon, that could potentially be the better deal. If you cannot, then don't bother as for guns, you usually get what you pay for.

When semi-automatic handguns come to mind, a Ruger P-95 in 9mm is an excellent choice. the price is fair and the ambidextrous ability to be used along with the decocking system, it's magnificent for all purpose usage. As long as it's mantained well, this piece could last one a lifetime. I've had mine since last November and fired over 2,500 rounds of ammunition with zero problems.

For rifles, a .223 carbine would do the trick as that specific round size with the weapon provide little to no recoil, perfect for the less experienced. I am old school in that department so I use my Marlin 30-30 of which I am deadly accurate for up to 220 yards without a scope.

and that's my $0.02 before I drag it too long.

#214076 - 01/08/07 07:33 PM Just a brief aside... [yet another weapon of choice] [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
If someone comes after you like THIS, be very afraid.

#214077 - 01/08/07 07:38 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
Since the rabid anti gun legislation was brought in in the UK because of the Dunblane massacre, gun crime in the UK has gone up.....a lot !
The Police now carry more guns and have more armed response units active (who because of their inexperience with guns tend to shoot drunk blokes with chair legs in the face) as a result.
The concept of scumbags who want guns to commit criminal activities getting them regardless of government legislation fell on deaf ears unfornuately.
I used to be an airgun/target shooting enthusiast and even that has come under fire here (sic), I was quite good at it as well (is there any other country on the planet that absolutely will not win medals in certain categories of target shooting in the olympics because of government legislation ?)
I say be cautious our american cousins, your governments long term aim no matter who's in power is to completely disarm you and don't say that could never happen, the bearing of arms is on the constitution but then so was freedom of speech once upon a time.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#214078 - 01/08/07 08:01 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
ParaBellum Offline

Loc: Plausibly deniable
Nice choices. Looks like the idea of a shottie for home defense has been done to death here, so I'll not belabor that point.

Personally I have a Springfield Armory 1911. Olive drab slide and frame and custom handle slabs. Niiiiiiiiice...

Since I don't have a CCW, knives are my carry. I generally prefer pieces from Strider and Emerson, but Spyderco is GREAT for production models, and if butterfly knives (balisongs) are your thing, Benchmade pretty much sets the standard. And if you've got the coin, there are always custom makers who are more than willing to work with you...

#214079 - 01/08/07 08:23 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Quote:

I keep a baseball bat for burglars, but I would still have to explain why I had it to the police if I ever used it as a weapon.

Couldn't you just say you keep it for baseball .. but used it in self defence when a burglar came at you???

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43831 Topics
405237 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements