Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214095 - 01/09/07 07:25 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
My choice is a .38 revolver loaded with Glasers to reduce the risk of overpenetration.

It was mentioned earlier that Glasers soetimes have penetration issues. If you're concerned about that, use the silvers instead of the blues.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#214096 - 01/09/07 08:34 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
If it was legal to have guns here...

I would have two of these...

Lara Croft eat your heart out!

But alas...

We are not allowed

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#214097 - 01/09/07 09:10 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I know I am a bit late in replying to this, but I only get online certain times of the day. In my opinion, the best thing for in-home defense is a 12 gauge. Just looking at the size of the bore is usually enough to frighten most people, the only drawback with such a weapon is your houscleaning bill will skyrocket as soon as you pull the trigger.

#214098 - 01/09/07 10:36 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

Check out the M19 .357 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W. It is such a beautiful revolver. I want one and I only weigh in at 165lbs.

My favorite.

It also chambers .38 for anyone not at ease with the .357. The heavier .357 frame makes shooting .38 feel like shooting .22.

It was designed by Bill Jordan who knew his shit regarding defensive/offensive use of the handgun.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#214099 - 01/09/07 11:57 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Talking of famous handgunners, I just learned that Col. Jeff Cooper died recently. I loved that cantankerous old warhorse

#214100 - 01/09/07 12:32 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

Check out the M19 .357 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W. It is such a beautiful revolver. I want one and I only weigh in at 165lbs.

Just be sure to practice with .38's most of the time. Continuous use of .357 can wear the gun out. Source.

#214101 - 01/09/07 02:30 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I have not tried the .38 M19. I am going to have to check it out. The M19 .357 is definitely a hefty gun but man, oh man, that .357 is a nice round. Concealing something that large may seem unnecessary but to a would-be criminal he will definitely "tell" the difference.

A .38 would be nice however for better control and less weight on your side.

The 2 1/2 barrel is difficult to find but the 4 inch is usually more available. But the shorter barrel can easily be ordered at a firearms dealer.

Thank you for the info.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214102 - 01/09/07 02:32 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Thank you for the advise. I will look into the .38s.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214103 - 01/09/07 02:43 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

I have not tried the .38 M19. I am going to have to check it out. The M19 .357 is definitely a hefty gun but man, oh man, that .357 is a nice round. Concealing something that large may seem unnecessary but to a would-be criminal he will definitely "tell" the difference.

A .38 would be nice however for better control and less weight on your side.

The M19 fires both calibers .38/.357 - same bore.

Edited by Svengali (01/09/07 02:45 PM)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#214104 - 01/09/07 03:16 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Full auto is a waste of ammo and money, not to mention the legal hassles. Its fun but not practical.

Properly used, a pump shotgun with #1 buckshot (.30" shot/10 pellets per cartridge) has a cyclical rate of fire equal or superior to most SMGs.

Just my opinion.

#214105 - 01/09/07 06:18 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Oh, that is even nicer. Now I have to look into a M19.

Something I just looked up. "All revolvers manufactured to use .357 Magnum ammunition can be safely loaded and fired with .38 Special ammunition. The reverse, obviously, is not true. You cannot use .357 Magnum ammunition in a .38 Special weapon."

I have been missing out on the whole .357 scene. Damn .40cals always have my attention.

#214106 - 01/09/07 06:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Oh, that is even nicer. Now I have to look into a M19.

Something I just looked up. "All revolvers manufactured to use .357 Magnum ammunition can be safely loaded and fired with .38 Special ammunition. The reverse, obviously, is not true. You cannot use .357 Magnum ammunition in a .38 Special weapon."

Yes, that is what I was trying to say!

Also, if you are of the apocalyptic survivalist mindset, the 38/357 is a plus in the event that you have to scavange ammo, it doubles your odds of access to two common calibers for only one sidearm.

#214107 - 01/09/07 06:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

From what I read, Magister, it suggests not using .38 on a .357 semiautomatic. Would you agree?

Of course with the M19 being a revolver you can avoid that.

#214108 - 01/09/07 06:57 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Yes, as far as I know that only applies to revolvers. My guess is that it would result in feeding problems in a semi-auto.

#214109 - 01/09/07 06:58 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

From what I read, Magister, it suggests not using .38 on a .357 semiautomatic. Would you agree?

Of course with the M19 being a revolver you can avoid that.

The only semiauto chambered for the .357 that I know of is the Desert Eagle.

It will not cycle properly with .38 special ammo. I tried it with my uncles pistol. It will fire 38 special, but it will stovepipe jam every round. Also, .38 special ammo has a slightly shorter case length than .357 so even getting the rounds into the magazine on the thing posed problems, the magazine could potentially jam up.

The DE pistol is designed for .357 ammo and likes the hotter loads.

However. Ruger makes a nice little semi-auto carbine in .357 and .44 mag. It looks exactly like the 10-22, only it holds 5 rounds of .357 or .44 mag. And the best part is it uses the same style rotary magazine, and has the same durability and accuracy of the 10-22. Hot little rifle. It however, will cycle either 38 special or .357.

Edited by Felstorm (01/09/07 07:01 PM)

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements