Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214110 - 01/09/07 07:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Felstorm]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I have not done much searching on .357 semis simply because I have always stuck with lower calibers. But I have gained an itch when it comes to .357s and I am thinking of buying one.

Interesting designs.

From what I am gathering .357 revolvers are the way to go for such a large caliber.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214111 - 01/09/07 07:08 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I could input my thoughts here, I agree the the revolver is the best for this method, and also agree to the feeding problems. The rest of my thoughts on this is left for downstairs.
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#214112 - 01/09/07 07:09 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
You have sparked my interest. You should post the rest of your thoughts downstairs.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214113 - 01/09/07 07:52 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Silent but deadly!

No, I'm not talking about my digestive problems.

I have a crossbow.

#214114 - 01/09/07 08:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Most of the hotter loads were developed from other weaker rounds, which can usually be fired in the same revolver- as well as the .38 special/.357 magnum, there is .44 special/.44 magnum, .45 colt/ 454 casull and so on.

This is often useful for practice (less punishing recoil) and plinking, the weaker loads are often very accurate and coupled with reduce recoil make excellent target loads.

Back in the day when we were allowed handguns over here, I used to go to the range with my uncle and shoot his S&W model 29 with .44 special handloads. It was good for me as a young inexperienced shooter because it taught me better trigger control than the magnums would have (they made me flinch a little).

Oh, how I miss pistol shooting

#214115 - 01/09/07 08:44 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

To Discipline(no need for downstairs). Take the difference of the larger caliber and the smaller caliber, and the difference in the flutes. And consider the modulus of elasticity and the thermal deformatation of Lead. Plus most revolvers I've seen have a lead-in to the flutes. Seems feasible to me. I'm not an expert on this. If I'm wrong I should be corrected.

I agree the .38 round can push it's way through.

#214116 - 01/09/07 09:17 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Well, because the lower powered cartridges are shorter, the bullet has to jump the gap between the end of the cartridge and the forcing cone (the end of the barrel where the bullet engages the rifling) If anything, this should be detrimental to accuracy, not to mention that the rifling is designed to stabilize a faster bullet.
In the real world this doesn't seem to matter much, and solid lead wadcutters out of the gun were supremely accurate. I guess it was due in part to the lower recoil.
The only real downside is that the ends of the chambers get leaded because of the shorter case, and if it gets bad enough it can make it difficult to chamber a magnum round until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

#214117 - 01/09/07 09:22 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Thats right. Take the difference of the larger caliber and the smaller caliber, and the difference in the flutes. And consider the modulus of elasticity and the thermal deformatation of Lead. Plus most revolvers I've seen have a lead-in to the flutes. Seems feasible to me. I'm not an expert on this. If I'm wrong I should be corrected.

Sorry, I meant to quote that in my last post. you are quite correct. I don't mean to be pedantic, but for the sake of clarity, I think that by 'flutes' you mean 'rifling', and the lead-in to the rifling is called the 'forcing cone' (usually about 11 degrees in a modern revolver)

#214118 - 01/09/07 09:40 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

No need to be sorry, me I'm just a Machinist. I have made many machines(large and small) and guns are just another machine to me. I also served as an Armorer in the U.S. Army Infantry(Grunt included). Although that was along time ago for me. I'm not a know it all and any input here will help aswell.

[Edit]- My terms I call flutes(run lengthwise in the bore) is the Outer Diameter(Major I.D.) of the Rifling(both I.D. & O.D. in my terms) and the Inner Diameter(Minor I.D) is called the bore or basic caliber of the projectile. Just a matter of semantics. So yes you are correct.

Edited by TiNiMoCo (01/10/07 04:11 AM)

#214119 - 01/09/07 09:45 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Yes, firearms are just machines, but try telling that to the tabloid newspapers in the UK

A full- auto firearm can be considered an internal combustion engine

#214120 - 01/10/07 11:43 AM Re: baseball bats. [Re: Nemo]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I have a close friend who is a "little man."

A homeless guy broke into his house while he was home.

His weapons of choice?

First: A mostly full can of Coca-Cola. He threw it at the guys face as hard as he could.

Next: A Mag-Lite. He knocked the guy out and called the cops.

Throughout the encounter, his shotgun sat unregarded in his closet. He chose not to press charges, and there was no retribution from the battered vagrant.

#214121 - 01/10/07 11:49 AM Re: baseball bats. [Re: fatebender]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
Adaptablility is a key to self preservation.

If I was in the lounge whilst a would-be-attacker was trying to break through the front door, I wouldn't run to get a gun/knife, I would find the closest, heaviest object to my person, and use it in a way that it is unconventional...

#214122 - 01/10/07 12:14 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
BlueHeeler Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I keep a baseball bat for burglars, but I would still have to explain why I had it to the police if I ever used it as a weapon.

Couldn't you just say you keep it for baseball .. but used it in self defence when a burglar came at you???

Well yes, but they may ask where and with whom I play baseball, and what the bat was doing in my bedroom. And also why I don't possess a baseball or a glove, and why I don't know the rules or how to play...

I did buy a bat because it would be easier to explain than if I hacked someone to pieces with my katana, but it would depend on the police officer conducting the interview and whether or not I had used 'reasonable force' (whatever that is).

In Britain, it is pretty much illegal to defend yourself if attacked or burgled, and defending your property is even more frowned upon, so any defence against an assailant or burglar is a very risky think to do.

Tell them you do have a ball and glove and its at a friends place. Let them prove otherwise.

As far as defending yourself its legal provided you only escalate one step. ie, if burglar is unarmed, use a bat, if he is armed with a bat use a knife. With regard to reasonable force it goes on the "reasonable man", the law states that you stop when the threat stops. If you are in fear, hit with a bat, break his jaw and lay him out then you can not get a couple more hits in for good measure as thats not reasonable. If you hit him and he continues at you just keep hitting until he stops.

Our legal systems work on proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Simple fact is there is no doubt that he was in your home unlawfully. You can create as much doubt as need be as to how threatened you felt, how many times he came at you, and what you did to stop him.

#214123 - 01/10/07 03:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: San Diego, CA
I was pretty impressed with the Remington 870's pump rate of fire. I used it while doing a few rounds of skeet, and if I missed I could just pump another round and hit the clay pigeon.
This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud of ourselves; to act in such a way that some part of us lives on.
- Oswald Spengler

#214124 - 01/10/07 05:17 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

In the uk, the 'reasonable man' can sue you if he injures himself while burgling you...

In this country, the law is often on the side of the criminal, for example this high profile case:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/martin/article/0,,214334,00.html

I don't think that this is the right forum for this kind of debate, and I won't discuss it further here, but having been on the receiving end of this kind of crime, and having experienced the reality of the way that it is dealt with in this country, I have a 10 year plan to leave and live in the USA.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12280 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404439 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements