Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#214034 - 01/08/07 10:27 AM Weapons of Choice
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: San Diego, CA
In celebration of the Winter Solstice I rewarded myself for a years worth of productivity with some fire of my own. All completely legal and registered.

A no-ban AK-47. Though the full auto can be easily (but illegally) enabled, the kick-back and spray would do more damage to your walls then a home intruder.

AR-15, civilian model. A slightly more precise and convenient weapon, I've been using this for quite some time at the range for competition shooting.

New York makes it a pain to own a handgun, but I'll be going through the training and process to obtain one shortly.

Though I can handle my own in a bar fight or street encounter, I'm more concerned with the security of my domain. Any recommendations?
This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud of ourselves; to act in such a way that some part of us lives on.
- Oswald Spengler

#214035 - 01/08/07 11:50 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
BlueHeeler Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I've never understood the American culture and this want (compulsion) to own firearms just because you can.

#214036 - 01/08/07 11:55 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
While it's not a super sexy choice, it's hard to beat a short shotgun for close range home protection. Keep it as short as is legal, and no choke. You're basic low buck 12 gauge pump full of buck shot is easy to aim quickly, and packs a hell of a whallop at the kind of range you'll be dealing with indoors. But, it won't go through the walls of your house, into the neighbors house, and into the next five houses behind them.

#214037 - 01/08/07 11:57 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
Not because we can. Because we should.

#214038 - 01/08/07 11:59 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Noelia Offline

Loc: Spain
I like guns... I see nothing wrong with guns... People keep guns because they like them. I think we had this argument a while back, motorway accidents account for a very high percentage of deaths in western countries, yet no one gives disclaimers about cars. Personally I think a drunk should never be given a drivers license, but I fail to see why a mature and responsible adult should not be allowed to carry a weapon.

I think that the problem with guns is that the laws allow any misfit to get a license, I am not sure of how the problem can be solved but the problem is not with the guns but with the misfits!!

#214040 - 01/08/07 12:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Quote:

I've never understood the American culture and this want (compulsion) to own firearms just because you can.

How on earth is the love of guns confined to America?

Personally I own a gun because it's fun to shoot. Also, to paraphrase the movie True Romance - it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#214041 - 01/08/07 12:08 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

I never understood compulsive knee-jerk reactions.

Let's be constructive, how would you handle an armed home intrusion?

Let's not wax poetically how better the world would be without guns.
This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud of ourselves; to act in such a way that some part of us lives on.
- Oswald Spengler

#214042 - 01/08/07 12:25 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Quote:

Because our country wasn't started as a penal colony, we have certain freedoms you might not really understand. Other than that, I'm not touching this with a 60-foot pole.

#214043 - 01/08/07 12:26 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Marcato]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Very good point, I was thinking of a Remington 870.
- Oswald Spengler

#214044 - 01/08/07 12:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Full auto is fun but 3-round burst is more controlable. Get yourself a FFL and then get a Class III dealer's license.

If you want to get a pistol and haven't done this already, find a range where you can rent different ones.

After reading information (maybe even on this site ) written by knowledgeable people and getting to try one, I'm currently looking into the HK USP compact S&W .40. It is light, easy to conceal, has good incapacitation power and is well made. If you do a web search, you might even find a website dedicated to CCW issues.

Good luck with your decision and don't risk a felony over a select-fire AK.

#214045 - 01/08/07 12:56 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
Quote:

I am from the UK, if it were feasible, I would own some sort of firearm, most likely a 6-shot revolver (to cater for my personal aesthetic.)

I see no problem with responsible, upstanding, psychologically stable members of any social/racial demographic owning weapons for their own personal protection, I think Shade's quote did it said it best

It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

#214046 - 01/08/07 01:09 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

I own guns and I LIKE GUNS.

I don't own them because 'I can'.

I own them for protection.

I also know how to fire these weapons. I don't blindly own a gun because again "I CAN". I know how to use it.

I am not going to get into this whole gun issue. It's futile.

Those who get it do, and those who don't? Don't.

It certainly appears to be an issue of where one lives and one's upbringing.

I have a friend (Airline Pilot) from Canada and he does NOT get it either.

He gives Me BS about how crime is lower in Canada and in other places without guns.

BS!

I'd rather have a weapon and not need it than to need one and not have it. This goes for MANY of the things I have in My life.

I miss Charlton Heston.....

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#214047 - 01/08/07 01:30 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

If you are prepared to train with a firearm (which I expect you would given your obvious enthusiasm), I would go with a M1911 every time.
If you want something you can just pull out and shoot, especially if the gun may be used by family members, then go for something like a full- size Glock. Go for a .45.

Was your AK a pre ban or built on a flat with US parts?

I am very much a 'gun nut' and living in the UK with our stupid laws is deeply unpleasant. If I didn't have family, friends and businesses here I would move to the US in the blink of an eye.
I was just (about an hour ago) talking to a friend about a trip to the US specifically so that I can shoot a handgun again. The only handguns I have been able to shoot since 1996 (when they were banned) was a Ruger Mark II when I went to Amsterdam two years ago, and we were only allowed 50 rounds.
I try to keep my hand in by shooting air pistols, and I own several 'deactivated' firearms so that I can practice dry firing and field stripping, but it's obviously not the same as the real thing.
Any nice American girls want to marry me?

#214048 - 01/08/07 01:45 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: RandomStranger]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

Quote:

Get yourself a FFL and then get a Class III dealer's license.

Excellent, just the kind of advice I needed.

My local range doesn't have rentals, but I know one a couple towns away that might offer that and I'll have to look into it after getting my permit.

The HK .40 does have excellent stopping power from what I understand. I haven't fired one myself as I don't have a permit yet and my range is pretty strict on the safety rules.

I wouldn't enable the select-fire on the AK, not worth the trouble. Don't want to defend my home and end up facing charges in front of a bleeding heart judge.
- Oswald Spengler

#214049 - 01/08/07 01:48 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
I currently own a shotgun, a Mossberg model 88 Maverick 12 gauge. I use it to hunt and I keep it where it could very well save my ass in the event of a home invasion. I've also been considering getting a carry permit to purchase a handgun. I was thinking of going with a .45 myself because 1.)They are good for hunting and home security and 2.)They don't have much more kick to them than a 9mm.

Before you ask why I would want to hunt with a handgun, I'll tell you. I am one handed and while firing a shotgun isn't a difficult feat for me, sometimes it's nice to be able to take care of business with a handgun.

#214050 - 01/08/07 01:53 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Mr_47]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

If you get a 1911 without a recoil spring guide rod, you can cock it one handed by pressing the recoil spring plug area against a hard surface (or a shoe), which is impossible with most auto pistols

#214051 - 01/08/07 02:01 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Noelia]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Quote:

I think we had this argument a while back, motorway accidents account for a very high percentage of deaths in western countries, yet no one gives disclaimers about cars.

Visit a webforum for bicyclists. You'll see plenty of anti-asshole driver sentiment and plenty of outright anti-car sentiments too.

But back on topic, I'm not presently a gun owner. I don't feel the need to keep any for self-defense -- I live in a neighborhood where the odds of the fabled "crack addict breaking down my door" are quite a bit lower than the chances of the entire block being blown to pieces by a tornado.

If that were to change, however, I do have some definite opinions on what firearms I would choose. I'm a sucker for the classics -- all of my preferences date to World War II or earlier. For a basic sidearm you just can't top the good old Colt M1911, and I'd select either a Walther PPK or a Colt Detective's Special ("snubbie" revolver) as a backup weapon.

-Chess

#214052 - 01/08/07 02:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

It was built after the expiration of the Assault Weapons Ban, using it with civilian .223 Remington cartridges.

I've also been firing a Springfield rifle, but it needs some work as it's having some trouble chambering rounds.
- Oswald Spengler

#214053 - 01/08/07 02:08 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Thanks for that tip.

#214054 - 01/08/07 02:48 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Mr_47]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

2.)They (.45s) don't have much more kick to them than a 9mm.

I agree with this from personal experience. However, anyone with smaller hands, like myself will find a 9mm much easier to handle. I have a Taurus Millenium 9mm and it fits my hands perfectly. Also have a Glock 9mm but it has a slightly larger grip. The Sig Sauer .45 is kickass but again, slightly heavier and slightly harder to manage for smaller hands and weaker arms.

So from this American girl's perspective (stop flirting with me doctor_beat, ), my Taurus is perfect.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#214055 - 01/08/07 02:52 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Yep, and that is what makes America great because you can actually experience a peaceful and safe armed societly without fear and guilt.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214056 - 01/08/07 03:02 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Quote:

Though I can handle my own in a bar fight or street encounter, I'm more concerned with the security of my domain. Any recommendations?

Get yourself a Mossberg Persuader/Cruisr.

Link.

Or a Benelli M4

Link

I've owned many, many, many shotguns. These two are the most reliable weapons I know of. You can literally do a face plant into swamp mud, get up, cycle this weapon and fire all seven rounds without jamming.

What you do is you load it like this. Slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, 00 buck. You'll want an open choke on it or a plain rifled slug barrel with iron sights and not a bead. The rifling will help spread the 00 buck in spaces that are closer than 5 yards.

Use Remington Coppersolid saboted slugs, I also like Remington or Winchester 00 buck.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#214057 - 01/08/07 03:12 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Shade]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

2.)They (.45s) don't have much more kick to them than a 9mm.

I agree with this from personal experience. However, anyone with smaller hands, like myself will find a 9mm much easier to handle. I have a Taurus Millenium 9mm and it fits my hands perfectly. Also have a Glock 9mm but it has a slightly larger grip. The Sig Sauer .45 is kickass but again, slightly heavier and slightly harder to manage for smaller hands and weaker arms.

Have you tried a 1911? (can you tell I'm a 1911 fan?...)
They have quite a slim grip because of the single stack magazine, and the controls are easy to reach too.

Quote:

So from this American girl's perspective (stop flirting with me doctor_beat, ), my Taurus is perfect.

You're already married so I'm afraid you're no good to me

#214058 - 01/08/07 03:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
Quote:

Any recommendations?

Move away from New York. But I have a feeling that's not what you meant...

You say you live in NY- do you live in a flat? If so, I would not reccomend a shotgun due to it's overpenetration. Frangible ammo can be used, but this has been known to disintegrate against heavy clothing, belt buckles, etc.

Handguns are always good for home defense. They can't be easily grabbed or brushed aside in a confined space like a shotgun. I personally sleep with a S&W Model 19 .357 magnum under my pillow (seriously!). I alternate the chambers with two .38s, then a .357 (then repeat).

Handguns are a very personal thing, and the best advice is to rent the ones you are interested in to get a good feel for them. This will help you decide what you really like. Had I not done this, I'd have never known the pleasures of shooting a .44 Magnum (which, by the way, I also don't recommend for home defense!).

#214059 - 01/08/07 03:21 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Oh, and get a good flashlight and some proper defence ammunition.....

Ha ha! listen to me! I live in a country where there is a mandatory five year sentence for owning even a single shot .22 and I'm giving handgun advice!
I do subscribe to Guns and Ammo and a few other US publications and read a lot on the 'net though.
Want to hear something funny? I have to have the magazines imported because in my country, it is illegal for a shop to display a magazine with a picture of a handgun on the cover....

#214060 - 01/08/07 03:24 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Willow_NightEyes Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I don't see the hubbub over firearms anyways. Good blades are more beautiful and legal almost everywhere.
Darkest Dreams, - Willow NightEyes --------------------------------------- ~I don't talk with close-minded people; they tend to harbour brain fungus~ ---------------------------------------- Profesor: Nothing's impossible if you believe it; that's what being a scientist is all about! Kid: Nooo, that's what being a magical elf's all about.

#214061 - 01/08/07 03:30 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Willow_NightEyes]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I don't see the hubbub over firearms anyways. Good blades are more beautiful and legal almost everywhere.

Not here unfortunately- I can (and do) own a lot of knives and swords, but if I used one on a burglar, I would almost certainly wind up in prison. I keep a baseball bat for burglars, but I would still have to explain why I had it to the police if I ever used it as a weapon.

#214062 - 01/08/07 03:31 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Oh, and get a good flashlight and some proper defence ammunition.....

If I'm not mistaken, hollow-points are illegal in NY.

#214063 - 01/08/07 03:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Willow_NightEyes]
London Offline
CoS Member

Knives are illegal to carry in many places guns aren't. As far as home defense goes, close-quarter knife fighting is far less preferable to having a gun.

#214064 - 01/08/07 03:38 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Especially if they have a gun- don't bring a knife to a gunfight...

#214065 - 01/08/07 04:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

No, I haven't tried one.... but Oooooo, I just looked up M1911 on wiki - I think I am in love!

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion!

#214066 - 01/08/07 04:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Especially if they have a gun- don't bring a knife to a gunfight...

Please watch the following video.

Video Link.

Knives, short swords, and swords are NOT to be underestimated in close quarters.

Hell.

One of the best weapons you can get on the cheap for defence inside your home is a 5.99 machete available at any hardware store.

Within ten feet, I can close, and make two accurate cuts with a machete, and be behind my target, before said target can react and pull the trigger on a pistol. I know this because I've tried it. I can completely cut off, or sever the tendons on the hand holding the pistol before they can pull the trigger. This is easily replicatable. Get two half inch dowels and duct tape them together, now wrap them with some of that pink foam used for packing. Then put an old shirt sleeve on it. Take your $6 machete and commence to cleanly remove nice neat chunks of your fake arm.

The best part is. Machetes have no muzzleblast or report.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

#214067 - 01/08/07 04:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Willow_NightEyes Offline

Quote:

Knives are illegal to carry in many places guns aren't.

As far as I know, knives up to 6" are fine to carry around here.
Darkest Dreams, - Willow NightEyes --------------------------------------- ~I don't talk with close-minded people; they tend to harbour brain fungus~ ---------------------------------------- Profesor: Nothing's impossible if you believe it; that's what being a scientist is all about! Kid: Nooo, that's what being a magical elf's all about.

#214068 - 01/08/07 04:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I currently do not own a gun, but if I choose I can. I prefer the kind of system we have here. We are required to take firing lessons and/or pass an exam and passing a background check before being allowed to buy ammunition and/or a gun (depending on where in the country you are).

Also the license is pink and I could use it to get into a bar.

My weapon of choice would be more of a tool. I want a hunting rifle, something small enough that I can handle, but big enough to take down a moose.

Since I don't have a license nor the money to get one or a gun, I have to opt for knives.

I currently carry two knives on me. Both are considered tools, they are sharp enough to cut through metal. One is the titanium Leek the other is the barium carbide Chive; both are by Ken Onion (Kershaw). I bought my mom a lovely Benchmade that she keeps in her purse.

#214069 - 01/08/07 04:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Willow_NightEyes]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
The only knives that we cannot carry are:
"a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife"

we also cannot carry push blades or sword canes. There are no length laws in Canada; however, in a school it can be no longer than two inches. As far as I can find, there is no length law in Ontario either.

#214070 - 01/08/07 04:35 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Felstorm]
London Offline
CoS Member

There's a big difference between having a gun in hand, with finger on trigger, which most will do if their houses are broken into, and having a gun in a holster. The "21 Foot Rule" dictates that it takes 3 seconds or less for an attacker at 21 feet to close in on you. This is less time than the average person can draw a gun.

Those cop's mistakes were in reaching for their gun in the first place. They should have widened the gap first, then drew weapons.

#214071 - 01/08/07 04:38 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Shade]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

No, I haven't tried one.... but Oooooo, I just looked up M1911 on wiki - I think I am in love!

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion!

I'm surprised you haven't seen one before- they have been around longer than pneumatic tires!
They were US Army issue until they were replaced with the Beretta in the 80's.
Several companies in the US make a clone of the 1911 and they are very popular with CCW holders.
Wilson Combat and Kimber make some lovely ones

#214072 - 01/08/07 04:45 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: tovasshi]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I currently carry two knives on me. Both are considered tools, they are sharp enough to cut through metal. One is the titanium Leek the other is the barium carbide Chive; both are by Ken Onion (Kershaw). I bought my mom a lovely Benchmade that she keeps in her purse.

I have a Chive- lovely little knife. At the moment they are 'legal' in the UK, meaning they won't be for long. As soon as some idiot gets caught doing something stupid with one they'll be banned.

In the Uk, we can only carry a knife if the blade is 3" or less, is capable of folding, and does not lock open , meaning we can only carry slipjoint folders (like a Swiss Army Knife)
A locking folder classes as a fixed blade, which is illegal to carry.
It is illegal to carry any form of weapon whatsoever, or any article that can be adapted for use as a weapon- even a mini maglite would be treated with suspicion.

#214073 - 01/08/07 05:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
BlueHeeler Offline

Quote:

Let's not wax poetically how better the world would be without guns.

Sorry, my intention of posting that comment was in no way an anti-gun sentiment. More of an observation on culture. I have no problems whatsoever with responsible adults owning, or even carrying firearms. It's the irresponsible ones I dont like having them, this obviously leads to the necessity for the responsible to own them.

In Australia firearms are very hard to get and own. Criminal history checks, a safe required for storage, bullets to be kept in totally seperate area of house etc...

I carry a 9mm Glock everyday at work. With controlled expansion hollow point and designed for one purpose. I have pointed it at a few people. One time I actually thought "today is the day I kill a man" and until placed in that situation its very hard to understand the feeling. Luckily he realised I wasn't kidding and didnt take another step.

To quote Slayer "the power of a gun used with conviction."

If you own a gun for protection be totally prepared to use it. Many may think they are, but until that moment its hard to be certain.

I do like the suggestion of the shotgun. Considering most shootings happen within 3 metres (9 feet). If you are going for a pistol the Glock with a 110mm barrel is small and extremely reliable. Accuracy isnt that great though.

#214074 - 01/08/07 05:42 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I've never understood the American culture and this want (compulsion) to own firearms just because you can

I've never understood non-Americans' obsession of judging and criticizing a culture they only know through exaggerated and stereotyped caricatures seen in Hollywood movies.

#214075 - 01/08/07 07:03 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Kwolf Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada, United Stat...
Depending on one's personal taste, different weapon choices will apply. Personally, I aim for reliability in battle as in the event I have to use any of my weapons, I want them to work properly to heighten the chances of my success at retaining my life and good health. One thing to think about when purchasing a gun is looking at the future. If you can see yourself ten years from now either still owning or recall owning such specific weapon, that could potentially be the better deal. If you cannot, then don't bother as for guns, you usually get what you pay for.

When semi-automatic handguns come to mind, a Ruger P-95 in 9mm is an excellent choice. the price is fair and the ambidextrous ability to be used along with the decocking system, it's magnificent for all purpose usage. As long as it's mantained well, this piece could last one a lifetime. I've had mine since last November and fired over 2,500 rounds of ammunition with zero problems.

For rifles, a .223 carbine would do the trick as that specific round size with the weapon provide little to no recoil, perfect for the less experienced. I am old school in that department so I use my Marlin 30-30 of which I am deadly accurate for up to 220 yards without a scope.

and that's my $0.02 before I drag it too long.

#214076 - 01/08/07 07:33 PM Just a brief aside... [yet another weapon of choice] [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

If someone comes after you like THIS, be very afraid.

#214077 - 01/08/07 07:38 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
ElJago Offline

Loc: Northumberland, England
Since the rabid anti gun legislation was brought in in the UK because of the Dunblane massacre, gun crime in the UK has gone up.....a lot !
The Police now carry more guns and have more armed response units active (who because of their inexperience with guns tend to shoot drunk blokes with chair legs in the face) as a result.
The concept of scumbags who want guns to commit criminal activities getting them regardless of government legislation fell on deaf ears unfornuately.
I used to be an airgun/target shooting enthusiast and even that has come under fire here (sic), I was quite good at it as well (is there any other country on the planet that absolutely will not win medals in certain categories of target shooting in the olympics because of government legislation ?)
I say be cautious our american cousins, your governments long term aim no matter who's in power is to completely disarm you and don't say that could never happen, the bearing of arms is on the constitution but then so was freedom of speech once upon a time.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Lewis Carroll, Through the looking glass.

#214078 - 01/08/07 08:01 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
ParaBellum Offline

Loc: Plausibly deniable
Nice choices. Looks like the idea of a shottie for home defense has been done to death here, so I'll not belabor that point.

Personally I have a Springfield Armory 1911. Olive drab slide and frame and custom handle slabs. Niiiiiiiiice...

Since I don't have a CCW, knives are my carry. I generally prefer pieces from Strider and Emerson, but Spyderco is GREAT for production models, and if butterfly knives (balisongs) are your thing, Benchmade pretty much sets the standard. And if you've got the coin, there are always custom makers who are more than willing to work with you...

#214079 - 01/08/07 08:23 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Quote:

I keep a baseball bat for burglars, but I would still have to explain why I had it to the police if I ever used it as a weapon.

Couldn't you just say you keep it for baseball .. but used it in self defence when a burglar came at you???

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#214080 - 01/08/07 09:44 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Babydoll]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

I keep a baseball bat for burglars, but I would still have to explain why I had it to the police if I ever used it as a weapon.

Couldn't you just say you keep it for baseball .. but used it in self defence when a burglar came at you???

Well yes, but they may ask where and with whom I play baseball, and what the bat was doing in my bedroom. And also why I don't possess a baseball or a glove, and why I don't know the rules or how to play...

I did buy a bat because it would be easier to explain than if I hacked someone to pieces with my katana, but it would depend on the police officer conducting the interview and whether or not I had used 'reasonable force' (whatever that is).

In Britain, it is pretty much illegal to defend yourself if attacked or burgled, and defending your property is even more frowned upon, so any defence against an assailant or burglar is a very risky think to do.

#214081 - 01/08/07 09:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

At 19, when I first moved out alone, my mother gave me a baseball bat. I still sleep with it near my bed.

#214082 - 01/08/07 09:57 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Felstorm]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Excellent choices!

For indoor use I like the Mossberg. Easier to get around corners and through doors.

Disclaimer: Be legal, of course.

#214083 - 01/08/07 10:00 PM Re: baseball bats. [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

If you have a fireplace, then you need a poker.

If you have rain, then you need an umbrella.

If you have sun, then you need a parasol.

If you have power blackouts, then you need a good flashlight.

The last three sound unlike weapons?

Exactly!

#214084 - 01/08/07 10:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I never understood how people in countries that forcibly disarm them somehow think they are free men.

#214085 - 01/08/07 10:14 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Midorisan Offline

Loc: Midwestern USA
What fun!

Firearms --as some have observed-- are tools. No use pounding away on that nail with a screwdriver....

So. Always a matter of choosing the tool to fit the job. Shortened (8" barrel, leftover from that job working security) breakover 12 gauge for flexible fun (birdshot? hollowpoint slug? Flare? HE round?? Even smoke and flachette. Those handy with tools can make anything they want with a cheap home reloading kit. 12 gauge is the workhorse of firearms), 9mm semi-auto pistol for general purpose personal defense (I can hide my little 9 anywhere except body cavities, and drop me anywhere in the world that people barter and I can secure ammo within the hour. Good luck trying to carry a CCW .45 or .357 if you are under 200 pounds, or getting ammo outside North America or places where people have money for status symbols), SKS or AK products for massively destroying matter that offends me...and every accessory imaginable is available for cheap, and it is always nice to have a 30-06 and/or .223 properly zeroed for keeping the bad guys at a respectful distance.

As for knives, a cheap crap-in-the-handle "Rambo knife" hidden in the car and the bike for hacking stuff in case of emergency, a nylon "CIA" knife that won't appear on metal detectors for the briefcase, a P-38 for the keychain and something that feels easy to hold for those times when you feel the need to carry an extra. And almost everyone can find a place to hide a razor blade that could save their life.

Best weapon of all? An appropriate attitude and some martial arts/military training. Such never jams, or is out of ammo, left at home, gets confiscated or can't be reached.

#214086 - 01/08/07 10:32 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

I never understood how people in countries that forcibly disarm them somehow think they are free men.

It seems to me that with the increase in criminal house invasions that follows it is incredibly expensive!

#214087 - 01/08/07 10:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Shortened (8" barrel, leftover from that job working security)

Was that a typo? Any barrel under 18" is illegal unless approved by the BATF.

Quote:

Good luck trying to carry a CCW .45 or .357 if you are under 200 pounds,

I can do it, with the proper attire, quite comfortably. I usually weigh anywhere from 130 to 145 lbs. With a shoulder holster, women usually have an advantage over men in this department due to differences in anatomy.

Quote:

SKS or AK products for massively destroying matter that offends me...and every accessory imaginable is available for cheap, and it is always nice to have a 30-06 and/or .223 properly zeroed for keeping the bad guys at a respectful distance.

Just remember it's probably going to be hard to convincingly say your life was in immediate danger if you shoot the bad guy from more than twenty feet or so.

#214088 - 01/08/07 11:18 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Check out the M19 .357 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W. It is such a beautiful revolver. I want one and I only weigh in at 165lbs.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#214089 - 01/08/07 11:31 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Good luck trying to carry a CCW .45 or .357 if you are under 200 pounds, or getting ammo outside North America or places where people have money for status symbols)

1. Ammo acquisition is a moot point. Good luck trying to bring you gun outside the USA.
2. At least in the state and county I live in, the Sheriff who OK's the CCW won't issue for a .22. The guy I spoke to recommends a compact .45, .40 or 9mm and will even approve a .32 as your backup.

Oh, weight has NOTHING to do with the gun size one can/should use.

Quote:

Best weapon of all? An appropriate attitude and some martial arts/military training.

I was wondering when this thread would degrade into hollow posturing.

#214090 - 01/09/07 12:41 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Best weapon of all? An appropriate attitude and some martial arts/military training.

Fair enough. How about you and I arrange a duel? The stipulations are thus: We start out 15 yards apart, you armed with your martial arts and military training and I armed with a .45. May the best man win.

#214091 - 01/09/07 01:37 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
TheAbysmal Offline

Cold steel weaponry aside, nothing quite leaves a lasting impression on a would-be trespasser as do the bared teeth and paralysing growl of a loyal Pit Bull. Sadly, it is illegal to own them in some locations, but if you can have them, well...

Let Me just say that I would rather be staring down the business end of any handgun than an enraged Pit Bull.

A Bull Terrier or a Bull Mastiff would be a nice choice, too.

Hail Satan!

Refuse to die.

#214092 - 01/09/07 05:16 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: tovasshi]
Willow_NightEyes Offline

I forgot about the switch-blade knives but I could have swore blade lengths were limited to 6". Thanks for the info... I'll be sure to look it up again.

#214093 - 01/09/07 05:22 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Rattlesnake Offline

Loc: Yurop
It's illegal to own guns where I live. But I would love to own an RPD machinegun and a Type 69 grenade launcher.

#214094 - 01/09/07 06:52 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Was that a typo? Any barrel under 18" is illegal unless approved by the BATF.

18 1/4 inch I think.
Alcohol, tobacco and firearms? Who's bringing the chips?

#214095 - 01/09/07 07:25 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
My choice is a .38 revolver loaded with Glasers to reduce the risk of overpenetration.

It was mentioned earlier that Glasers soetimes have penetration issues. If you're concerned about that, use the silvers instead of the blues.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#214096 - 01/09/07 08:34 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
If it was legal to have guns here...

I would have two of these...

Lara Croft eat your heart out!

But alas...

We are not allowed

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#214097 - 01/09/07 09:10 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
I know I am a bit late in replying to this, but I only get online certain times of the day. In my opinion, the best thing for in-home defense is a 12 gauge. Just looking at the size of the bore is usually enough to frighten most people, the only drawback with such a weapon is your houscleaning bill will skyrocket as soon as you pull the trigger.

#214098 - 01/09/07 10:36 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

Check out the M19 .357 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W. It is such a beautiful revolver. I want one and I only weigh in at 165lbs.

My favorite.

It also chambers .38 for anyone not at ease with the .357. The heavier .357 frame makes shooting .38 feel like shooting .22.

It was designed by Bill Jordan who knew his shit regarding defensive/offensive use of the handgun.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#214099 - 01/09/07 11:57 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Talking of famous handgunners, I just learned that Col. Jeff Cooper died recently. I loved that cantankerous old warhorse

#214100 - 01/09/07 12:32 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Just be sure to practice with .38's most of the time. Continuous use of .357 can wear the gun out. Source.

#214101 - 01/09/07 02:30 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I have not tried the .38 M19. I am going to have to check it out. The M19 .357 is definitely a hefty gun but man, oh man, that .357 is a nice round. Concealing something that large may seem unnecessary but to a would-be criminal he will definitely "tell" the difference.

A .38 would be nice however for better control and less weight on your side.

The 2 1/2 barrel is difficult to find but the 4 inch is usually more available. But the shorter barrel can easily be ordered at a firearms dealer.

Thank you for the info.

#214102 - 01/09/07 02:32 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Thank you for the advise. I will look into the .38s.

#214103 - 01/09/07 02:43 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

I have not tried the .38 M19. I am going to have to check it out. The M19 .357 is definitely a hefty gun but man, oh man, that .357 is a nice round. Concealing something that large may seem unnecessary but to a would-be criminal he will definitely "tell" the difference.

A .38 would be nice however for better control and less weight on your side.

The M19 fires both calibers .38/.357 - same bore.

Edited by Svengali (01/09/07 02:45 PM)
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#214104 - 01/09/07 03:16 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Full auto is a waste of ammo and money, not to mention the legal hassles. Its fun but not practical.

Properly used, a pump shotgun with #1 buckshot (.30" shot/10 pellets per cartridge) has a cyclical rate of fire equal or superior to most SMGs.

Just my opinion.

#214105 - 01/09/07 06:18 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Oh, that is even nicer. Now I have to look into a M19.

Something I just looked up. "All revolvers manufactured to use .357 Magnum ammunition can be safely loaded and fired with .38 Special ammunition. The reverse, obviously, is not true. You cannot use .357 Magnum ammunition in a .38 Special weapon."

I have been missing out on the whole .357 scene. Damn .40cals always have my attention.

#214106 - 01/09/07 06:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:

Oh, that is even nicer. Now I have to look into a M19.

Something I just looked up. "All revolvers manufactured to use .357 Magnum ammunition can be safely loaded and fired with .38 Special ammunition. The reverse, obviously, is not true. You cannot use .357 Magnum ammunition in a .38 Special weapon."

Yes, that is what I was trying to say!

Also, if you are of the apocalyptic survivalist mindset, the 38/357 is a plus in the event that you have to scavange ammo, it doubles your odds of access to two common calibers for only one sidearm.

#214107 - 01/09/07 06:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

From what I read, Magister, it suggests not using .38 on a .357 semiautomatic. Would you agree?

Of course with the M19 being a revolver you can avoid that.

#214108 - 01/09/07 06:57 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Yes, as far as I know that only applies to revolvers. My guess is that it would result in feeding problems in a semi-auto.

#214109 - 01/09/07 06:58 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

From what I read, Magister, it suggests not using .38 on a .357 semiautomatic. Would you agree?

Of course with the M19 being a revolver you can avoid that.

The only semiauto chambered for the .357 that I know of is the Desert Eagle.

It will not cycle properly with .38 special ammo. I tried it with my uncles pistol. It will fire 38 special, but it will stovepipe jam every round. Also, .38 special ammo has a slightly shorter case length than .357 so even getting the rounds into the magazine on the thing posed problems, the magazine could potentially jam up.

The DE pistol is designed for .357 ammo and likes the hotter loads.

However. Ruger makes a nice little semi-auto carbine in .357 and .44 mag. It looks exactly like the 10-22, only it holds 5 rounds of .357 or .44 mag. And the best part is it uses the same style rotary magazine, and has the same durability and accuracy of the 10-22. Hot little rifle. It however, will cycle either 38 special or .357.

Edited by Felstorm (01/09/07 07:01 PM)

Are You One of Us?

#214110 - 01/09/07 07:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Felstorm]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I have not done much searching on .357 semis simply because I have always stuck with lower calibers. But I have gained an itch when it comes to .357s and I am thinking of buying one.

Interesting designs.

From what I am gathering .357 revolvers are the way to go for such a large caliber.

#214111 - 01/09/07 07:08 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I could input my thoughts here, I agree the the revolver is the best for this method, and also agree to the feeding problems. The rest of my thoughts on this is left for downstairs.
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#214112 - 01/09/07 07:09 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

You have sparked my interest. You should post the rest of your thoughts downstairs.

#214113 - 01/09/07 07:52 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Silent but deadly!

No, I'm not talking about my digestive problems.

I have a crossbow.

#214114 - 01/09/07 08:07 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Discipline]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Most of the hotter loads were developed from other weaker rounds, which can usually be fired in the same revolver- as well as the .38 special/.357 magnum, there is .44 special/.44 magnum, .45 colt/ 454 casull and so on.

This is often useful for practice (less punishing recoil) and plinking, the weaker loads are often very accurate and coupled with reduce recoil make excellent target loads.

Back in the day when we were allowed handguns over here, I used to go to the range with my uncle and shoot his S&W model 29 with .44 special handloads. It was good for me as a young inexperienced shooter because it taught me better trigger control than the magnums would have (they made me flinch a little).

Oh, how I miss pistol shooting

#214115 - 01/09/07 08:44 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

To Discipline(no need for downstairs). Take the difference of the larger caliber and the smaller caliber, and the difference in the flutes. And consider the modulus of elasticity and the thermal deformatation of Lead. Plus most revolvers I've seen have a lead-in to the flutes. Seems feasible to me. I'm not an expert on this. If I'm wrong I should be corrected.

I agree the .38 round can push it's way through.

#214116 - 01/09/07 09:17 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Well, because the lower powered cartridges are shorter, the bullet has to jump the gap between the end of the cartridge and the forcing cone (the end of the barrel where the bullet engages the rifling) If anything, this should be detrimental to accuracy, not to mention that the rifling is designed to stabilize a faster bullet.
In the real world this doesn't seem to matter much, and solid lead wadcutters out of the gun were supremely accurate. I guess it was due in part to the lower recoil.
The only real downside is that the ends of the chambers get leaded because of the shorter case, and if it gets bad enough it can make it difficult to chamber a magnum round until it has been thoroughly cleaned.

#214117 - 01/09/07 09:22 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Thats right. Take the difference of the larger caliber and the smaller caliber, and the difference in the flutes. And consider the modulus of elasticity and the thermal deformatation of Lead. Plus most revolvers I've seen have a lead-in to the flutes. Seems feasible to me. I'm not an expert on this. If I'm wrong I should be corrected.

Sorry, I meant to quote that in my last post. you are quite correct. I don't mean to be pedantic, but for the sake of clarity, I think that by 'flutes' you mean 'rifling', and the lead-in to the rifling is called the 'forcing cone' (usually about 11 degrees in a modern revolver)

#214118 - 01/09/07 09:40 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

No need to be sorry, me I'm just a Machinist. I have made many machines(large and small) and guns are just another machine to me. I also served as an Armorer in the U.S. Army Infantry(Grunt included). Although that was along time ago for me. I'm not a know it all and any input here will help aswell.

[Edit]- My terms I call flutes(run lengthwise in the bore) is the Outer Diameter(Major I.D.) of the Rifling(both I.D. & O.D. in my terms) and the Inner Diameter(Minor I.D) is called the bore or basic caliber of the projectile. Just a matter of semantics. So yes you are correct.

Edited by TiNiMoCo (01/10/07 04:11 AM)

#214119 - 01/09/07 09:45 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Danny Mc.]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Yes, firearms are just machines, but try telling that to the tabloid newspapers in the UK

A full- auto firearm can be considered an internal combustion engine

#214120 - 01/10/07 11:43 AM Re: baseball bats. [Re: Nemo]
fatebender Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I have a close friend who is a "little man."

A homeless guy broke into his house while he was home.

His weapons of choice?

First: A mostly full can of Coca-Cola. He threw it at the guys face as hard as he could.

Next: A Mag-Lite. He knocked the guy out and called the cops.

Throughout the encounter, his shotgun sat unregarded in his closet. He chose not to press charges, and there was no retribution from the battered vagrant.

#214121 - 01/10/07 11:49 AM Re: baseball bats. [Re: fatebender]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Adaptablility is a key to self preservation.

If I was in the lounge whilst a would-be-attacker was trying to break through the front door, I wouldn't run to get a gun/knife, I would find the closest, heaviest object to my person, and use it in a way that it is unconventional...

#214122 - 01/10/07 12:14 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
BlueHeeler Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well yes, but they may ask where and with whom I play baseball, and what the bat was doing in my bedroom. And also why I don't possess a baseball or a glove, and why I don't know the rules or how to play...

I did buy a bat because it would be easier to explain than if I hacked someone to pieces with my katana, but it would depend on the police officer conducting the interview and whether or not I had used 'reasonable force' (whatever that is).

In Britain, it is pretty much illegal to defend yourself if attacked or burgled, and defending your property is even more frowned upon, so any defence against an assailant or burglar is a very risky think to do.

Tell them you do have a ball and glove and its at a friends place. Let them prove otherwise.

As far as defending yourself its legal provided you only escalate one step. ie, if burglar is unarmed, use a bat, if he is armed with a bat use a knife. With regard to reasonable force it goes on the "reasonable man", the law states that you stop when the threat stops. If you are in fear, hit with a bat, break his jaw and lay him out then you can not get a couple more hits in for good measure as thats not reasonable. If you hit him and he continues at you just keep hitting until he stops.

Our legal systems work on proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Simple fact is there is no doubt that he was in your home unlawfully. You can create as much doubt as need be as to how threatened you felt, how many times he came at you, and what you did to stop him.

#214123 - 01/10/07 03:34 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Chaos_Sedated Offline
CoS Priest

I was pretty impressed with the Remington 870's pump rate of fire. I used it while doing a few rounds of skeet, and if I missed I could just pump another round and hit the clay pigeon.
- Oswald Spengler

#214124 - 01/10/07 05:17 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: BlueHeeler]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

In the uk, the 'reasonable man' can sue you if he injures himself while burgling you...

In this country, the law is often on the side of the criminal, for example this high profile case:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/martin/article/0,,214334,00.html

I don't think that this is the right forum for this kind of debate, and I won't discuss it further here, but having been on the receiving end of this kind of crime, and having experienced the reality of the way that it is dealt with in this country, I have a 10 year plan to leave and live in the USA.

#214125 - 01/10/07 05:50 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

I'm guessing that is Tony Martin...

The incident actually happened in the village where I live...

He is the Godfather of one of my old school friends.

Bloody pikeys.

#214126 - 01/10/07 07:04 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I have a 10 year plan to leave and live in the USA.

Good. We could use a fellow like you. Of course, things might not be any better than the UK by the time you get here...

#214127 - 01/10/07 11:26 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: London]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have a 10 year plan to leave and live in the USA.

Good. We could use a fellow like you. Of course, things might not be any better than the UK by the time you get here...

I can't see it getting that bad that quick, but I take your point. It only needs another Clinton to come along and mess with the 2nd amendment.
At least politics seem a little more sensible in the US though, for instance the assault weapons ban. Although the ban was stupid, at least it was allowed to 'sunset' when it became obvious that it had no effect.
The ban on handguns in the UK will never be reversed, even though handgun crime rose sharply after it was brought into effect.
They even outlawed .22 target pistols, making no provisions for sportsmen and women. This contravenes the Olympic Charter, which states:

Section 4: 'The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibilty of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play. The organisation, administration and management of sport must be controlled by independent sports organisations.'

Section 5: 'Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.

Section 6: 'Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter and recognition by the IOC.

Despite this, we have not been kicked out of the Olympics and are hosting them in London in 2012.
The sport of pistol shooting is illegal in this country and carries a mandatory 5 year sentence, so British atheletes have to travel to the channel islands to practice.

I can't see the USA getting that stupid within my lifetime....

#214128 - 01/11/07 02:19 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
BlueHeeler Offline

Quote:

Despite this, we have not been kicked out of the Olympics and are hosting them in London in 2012.
The sport of pistol shooting is illegal in this country and carries a mandatory 5 year sentence, so British atheletes have to travel to the channel islands to practice.

Now that is ridiculous. Pistol shooting is a legitimate sport.

All this talk of firearms has got me itching to get down to the range. Will be offloading a few hundred rounds next Monday

#214129 - 01/12/07 10:14 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Mr_47]
Midorisan Offline

I propose a different and more realistic scenario. I quietly hide in your kitchen at night, after you have gone to bed. You let your firearm stay where it usually is located, I'll keep my martial arts training where it is usually located. You get up at 4am for a drink of water.

We commence with our duel. (grin)

I'd even consider moving the location to a dark corner of the parking garage near the elevator where you will emerge on your way home from a late night downtown.

May the best man --sans expensive tool-- win.

#214130 - 01/12/07 10:28 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: RandomStranger]
Midorisan Offline

Local rules for carrying firearms vary, for certain.

My comments re: size of person versus size of firearm have to do with the first "C" aspect of CCW. You can carry around whatever you can lift. I carried an M-16 with an M203 grenade launcher back when I was cannon fodder...but it was not quite "concealed."

I'm 165 pounds and I can tell you I have no overhangs, folds, or crevasses large enough to carry a .45 that is "concealed" unless I'm wearing a parka.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Pack the most stopping power you can. Otherwise don't bother.

As for hollow posturing...I'm of the opinion that most armchair opinion vomiting --of which I'm as guilty here as you are-- on big macho guns is exactly that" hollow posturing."

Unless you live the life of Scarface, wandering about with weapons hanging from your limbs and more draped over the furniture, I stick by my comment: in a real live altercation I'd rather have five years of martial arts training and thrice-weekly workouts on my side than that fancy pistola you bought and left in your basement when reality gets interesting in Buddy's Turdhole Tavern.

#214131 - 01/12/07 11:05 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The House and Congress are now controlled by Democrats.

They'll be putting gun "control" on the front burner at some point in the near future.

Now's the time to buy those "assault" weapons and large capacity magazines before they re-ban them. I've already bought 5 16 round clips for my Beretta, and have an HK .308 NATO rifle on order with 2 30 round magazines. Black plastic to piss off the gun-haters and I even got a bayonet lug for free.

Are You One of Us?

#214132 - 01/12/07 11:06 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I quietly hide in your kitchen at night, after you have gone to bed.

And get your ass kicked with a frying pan. No no no.

Always hide in the bathroom and catch them with their pants down.

You'd make a horrible villian in a no-budget thriller.

Are You One of Us?

#214133 - 01/12/07 11:13 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
YANKEE_ROSE Offline

Loc: Middle of no where, Georiga
Well, you said you live in New York, so ya getting a LEGAL pistol up there can be a bit of a pain in the ass. For something like keeping your place under wraps I'd recomend a good ol' fashion 12 gauge. Can't go wrong with one of those

#214134 - 01/13/07 12:01 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Felstorm]
London Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The House and Congress are now controlled by Democrats.

They'll be putting gun "control" on the front burner at some point in the near future.

Exactly. Pretty soon I'll be the only kid on my block with an AK. Members of this board who are not familiar with firearms politics will do well by heading this message: The time to buy a firearm is now.

#214135 - 01/13/07 12:30 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
luciferHammer Offline
Banned

My mind.

#214136 - 01/13/07 02:01 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
ParaBellum Offline

Quote:

Unless you live the life of Scarface, wandering about with weapons hanging from your limbs and more draped over the furniture, I stick by my comment: in a real live altercation I'd rather have five years of martial arts training and thrice-weekly workouts on my side than that fancy pistola you bought and left in your basement when reality gets interesting in Buddy's Turdhole Tavern.

The best thing is to not get locked into an "either/or" mentality here. Work out regularly, take whatever martial arts/combatives classes you favor, AND pack that concealed .357, or .45, or whatever you can best conceal. Have an additional concealed blade for emergency or utility use and you have the start of something good...just remember to train your knife and gun the way you train your empty hand. Just having a gun is not a magical talisman. Responsibility to the responsible!

#214137 - 01/13/07 09:47 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I weigh 160 pounds and carry a .40 and it is very concealed.

#214138 - 01/13/07 10:02 PM Concealment issues. [Re: Midorisan]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

There are plenty of "non traditional" ways to carry.

Look beyond a jackass harness, in-the-waistband systems and fanny pack hide-aways.

It is just as easy for a 5'1" woman to conceal an M1911 or clone as it is for someone of my stature.

Creativity, not size is the key here.

#214139 - 01/13/07 10:37 PM Re: Concealment issues. [Re: RandomStranger]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Look beyond a jackass harness, in-the-waistband systems and fanny pack hide-aways.

It is just as easy for a 5'1" woman to conceal an M1911 or clone as it is for someone of my stature.

Yes, the 1911 is very slim despite the large calibre.
As an aside, the word 'fanny' means a ladies genitals in the UK. We call an ass a 'bum', which I believe means a homeless person in the US. We call a homeless person a 'tramp', which means....
Potato, Potato.....

#214140 - 01/13/07 10:57 PM Re: Concealment issues. [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
Yeah, concealing a gun in a fanny pack would probably be considered creative over here.

#214141 - 01/13/07 11:00 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Midorisan]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

It's not just a matter of one or the other, it's a matter of being able to use both.

The surroundings I live in make it highly unlikely for someone to succeed in the scenarios you've presented, whereas the scenario of taking someone out at 15 yards with a .45 is likely in pretty much any situation.

I wouldn't want to depend entirely on my ability to use a gun alone or my ability to use hand to hand combat alone. If I were in a situation where I seriously had to defend my life, I would pride myself in my ability to do both.

#214142 - 01/14/07 09:04 AM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I have never owned a gun because I never got registered yet. However, I have wanted to own guns since I was 8 years old. I've always wanted a Double Barrel Shotgun for target practice, a German Rifle used by the Nazis in WWII to hang on my wall, and a Revolver to carry with me.

It's too bad the gun laws are terrible in the Northeast, where stupidity reigns and liberals are in charge.

#214143 - 01/14/07 08:58 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Chaos_Sedated]
Daigon Offline

Loc: United States
As far as hand guns go, if its a small home your defending...go with something more compact so that when you turn a corner the intruder does not see the barrel of the gun right away. If it is a large home then go with something with a little more beef on it. A larger home will provide the perfect terrain for what some people consider "excessive fire power". Or just go to your local gun store and fine something that is comfortable to use, easy to operate and easy to maintain if the weapon will not be used on a regular basis.

#214144 - 01/14/07 09:09 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Daigon]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

..... or learn how to take corners and do a proper house clearing.

#214145 - 01/14/07 09:10 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

I think this thread is on its last breath.

#214146 - 01/14/07 09:47 PM Re: Concealment issues. [Re: Doctor_Beat]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, the 1911 is very slim despite the large calibre.
As an aside, the word 'fanny' means a ladies genitals in the UK. We call an ass a 'bum', which I believe means a homeless person in the US. We call a homeless person a 'tramp', which means....
Potato, Potato.....

This isn't news to me. A "jackass" is also and idiot. You could have mentioned that one too.

If you are confused by what I was referring to, HERE is a link. I suppose I should not expect any more in a public forum.

#214147 - 01/14/07 10:02 PM Re: Weapons of Choice [Re: Svengali]
ParaBellum Offline

Quote:

..... or learn how to take corners and do a proper house clearing.

Funny you mention that Magister, we were doing that last weekend, teaching a gaggle of grabass privates. Fuck it, it was still fun.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12162 Members
73 Forums
43920 Topics
405742 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements