Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#221482 - 02/12/07 11:36 PM Satanism and Pollution
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
This issue has been on my mind for some time, and is close to my heart.

I am posting this topic in General Satanism Discussion as well as Questions about the CoS as I am also curious about CoS policy in regards to the topic.

Global warming has recently become a hot topic.

Background info here.

Heaps of information on climate change here (thankyou America ).

Wikepedia here.

This quotation:

Quote:

0.13 °C. The amount the atmosphere is warming each decade

1.3 times as much CO2 is entering the atmosphere compared with just 20 years ago

3 kilometres. The depth to which the oceans have warmed

3.1 centimetres. The rise in sea level each decade

90 per cent certainty that we are to blame

source

Several reports here.

Not only does the human pursuit for material success contribute to the destruction and pollution of earth, but hence to the death of thousands of animals.

Recently in Western Australia 5000 birds just dropped dead out of the sky. Environmental toxins are suspected.

Fish deaths and animals killed by litter.

Quote:

Land clearing is the main cause of salinity in the state and many other types of land degradation such as soil loss. It exacerbates drought. Land clearing kills millions of birds and animals each year and is identified as one of the key threats to 240 animals listed as endangered or threatened in NSW (Australia).

Quote:

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

Does this only apply if you kill with your own two hands? If so, why? We are killing animals now simply as a result of pollution, caused by our thirst for material gain. Why is this ok?

It has gone beyond us humans simply soiling our own lair, we are destroying our planet. Does this not go against self-preservation?

Quote:

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!

As Satanists we claim to be responsible, above the herd. Should we not take some responsibility for the affect we have on the environment? Are we not otherwise hypocrites?

6th Satanic Sin:

Quote:

6. Lack of Perspective—Again, this one can lead to a lot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints—know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.

Surely this applies to global warming and pollution of earth. By our nature as Satanists we strive for excellence and material success, BUT this has an affect on animals and our environment. We NOW know that it is killing the planet, so in addition to striving for success should we not also have rules supporting preservation of the planet?

My main question here is, as Satanism goes against harming animals, and stands for responsibility and self-preservation, should we not be doing something more?

Pentagonal Revisionism was written in 1988 before this global problem was well known. My suggestion is that it could include something regarding the preservation of our global environment.

Some tips for the individual here and here.

Where do YOU think our responsiblity starts and finishes???

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#221483 - 02/12/07 11:49 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Babydoll]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Is this actually a question?

What are "we" doing? We're each applying Satanism in our own lives, in response to our own respective local situations, according to our own respective understanding of the global facts and problems at hand, as individuals.

What do you want? A political stance? A Church policy statement from the High Priest? You won't get it.

#221484 - 02/13/07 12:37 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: reprobate]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

What do you want? A political stance? A Church policy statement from the High Priest? You won't get it.

In this general discussion forum, I just want the opinions of other Satanists on whether its 'too much' to consider Satanism to have an opinion on the preservation of the planet, the way it allows us to pollute it to attain our material goals.

Quote:

What are "we" doing? We're each applying Satanism in our own lives, in response to our own respective local situations, according to our own respective understanding of the global facts and problems at hand, as individuals.

Does that mean that you recycle?

20 years ago doing only that would seem a-ok. Perspective may be different now that we know how badly the planet is being affected.

By our nature as Satanists we strive for material success - contributing more to pollution than those living more down-to-earth. So don't we have a greater responsiblity? Especially as we claim to be responsible, and do not believe in harming animals?

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#221485 - 02/13/07 12:49 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Babydoll]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

In this general discussion forum, I just want the opinions of other Satanists on whether its 'too much' to consider Satanism to have an opinion on the preservation of the planet, the way it allows us to pollute it to attain our material goals.

What do you care whether Satanism "has an opinion"? Don't you have your own? Is it reasoned?

Do you want us to share your opinion because it is the Satanic opinion? Isn't it enough to have reasons?

#221486 - 02/13/07 12:54 AM "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: Babydoll]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
This reminds me of a person ordering a pizza. Rather than make the dough, sauce and shred the cheese, it's easier to call someone and have it done for them. Then, if you don't like how your pizza was made, it's easy to get on the phone and complain about it.

"You didn't do what I want."

OR-

Stop trying to make me accountable for something you think is a problem.

#221487 - 02/13/07 01:00 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Babydoll]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

We NOW know that it is killing the planet

A century and so ago, WE KNEW the Halley Comet was going to kill every living being in the planet. The comet has passed by Earth twice since...

#221488 - 02/13/07 01:24 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: reprobate]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Satanism advocates responsiblity and not harming animals.

Yet by also advocating impressive material gain Satanism advocates something which significantly contributes to killing millions of animals and detroying our planet.

But then there is nothing to advocate a high responsibility to preservation of the planet to balance things out.

Just "responsibility to the responsible", which is very subjective, and may have worked 20 years ago. But when you look at how BIG the problem is NOW (and how its getting worse), its a losing battle.

Quote:

What do you care whether Satanism "has an opinion"? Don't you have your own? Is it reasoned?

The stance of Satanism on important issues is important to me, as it's my religion.

Quote:

Do you want us to share your opinion...

I don't care whether YOU share my opinion. I just want to know what you think; about how far your responsibility should go for this global problem, and that of Satanists according to your interpritation of the religion.

Quote:

...because it is the Satanic opinion?

Is it?

Quote:

Isn't it enough to have reasons?

Please clarify.

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#221489 - 02/13/07 01:24 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: RandomStranger]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

This reminds me of a person ordering a pizza. Rather than make the dough, sauce and shred the cheese, it's easier to call someone and have it done for them. Then, if you don't like how your pizza was made, it's easy to get on the phone and complain about it.

"You didn't do what I want."

OR-

Stop trying to make me accountable for something you think is problem.

VERY well stated. I don't know that I could have come up with a better response. Thank you.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#221490 - 02/13/07 01:28 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: RandomStranger]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Are you saying that global warming is not a global problem?

Quote:

Stop trying to make me accountable for something you think is problem.

Assuming the links provided suggest that there IS a problem, we're all to blame, not just you

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#221491 - 02/13/07 01:32 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: Babydoll]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

"Assuming the links provided suggest that there IS a problem, we're all to blame, not just you"

You seem to have an impairment that I cannot do anything about.

#221492 - 02/13/07 01:33 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: Evil_Eve]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Thank you for the compliment.

#221493 - 02/13/07 01:34 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: RandomStranger]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Give it another 20 years and there won't be any Bananas left.

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#221494 - 02/13/07 01:37 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: RandomStranger]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I always give the Devil his or her due.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#221495 - 02/13/07 01:38 AM Re: "Hello, Pizza Hut? I want..." [Re: Babydoll]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

Give it another 20 years and there won't be any Bananas left.

They said that 20 years ago!

#221496 - 02/13/07 01:39 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Babydoll]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
The issue of global warming being the byproduct of humans or just a natural occurrence is still debatable to at least the dedicated and reasonable scientific field.

As for a collective issue of saving the "mother" Earth, that is only important to a Satanist if he deems it important. Otherwise, why buy into fear mongering?

Why take responsibility of humanity onto your shoulders? Is it really your fault? The whole take the pain of the world as your burden is the same junk that activists use to banish those not seeking a good guy badge.

Do you think that new technology could actually improve the planet, human life, and animal welfare? Or is technology and human advancement detrimental at all times?

I also have this thing about saving the Earth. Would the Earth save you? Nope, it would not. Has the Earth survived worse than us? Yep, thousands of times.

Now, I think burning bridges is a bad idea and progress always seems to improve health, both environmental and physical. So, I am an optimist and I really don't see how advancement is so wrong.

Perhaps I missed your point.

Can a Satanist be environmental friend, absolutely. Can a Satanist be a big bad corporate leader in control of a power house, absolutely.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43874 Topics
405554 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements