Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#221581 - 02/27/07 04:25 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: MarkArsenal]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

And then we have this!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#221582 - 02/27/07 07:21 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Phineas]
MarkArsenal Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Wow. And that doesn't even include his home in California (and I think he has a couple others).

Of course, I would probably be guzzling energy too if I had a slew of mansions and sat on some corporate boards, but then, I'm not whining about it...

#221583 - 02/27/07 09:00 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Phineas]
Nonesuch Offline

Loc: The Empire State
Al Gore's poor track record with the environment would be a PR disaster if people actually paid attention to stories like that one. But that would ruin the warm fuzzy feeling watching his movie gives people.

And I don't mean to drag more political figures into the discussion, but George W. Bush's ranch in Texas is apparently rather environmentally friendly! One article can be found on it here: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/02/is_george_bush.php

#221584 - 02/27/07 11:33 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Babydoll]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
New Sub Dives Crushing Depths

Scientists at the University of Washington have developed an autonomous underwater vehicle that can stay out to sea for up to a year and dive to depths of nearly 9,000 feet -- nearly three times deeper than the deepest-diving military submarines.

Known as Deepglider, the 71-inch long, 138-pound device is made of carbon fiber that can withstand the deep ocean's immense pressure. The energy-efficient, battery-powered glider carries sensors to measure oceanic conditions including salinity and temperature -- information that is key to understanding climate change. When the measurements are complete, Deepglider rises to the surface and transmits the data via satellite to onshore scientists.

Link

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#221585 - 02/27/07 11:39 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Babydoll]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I want my next car to run on gas hydrate

The big energy companies have been doing research on this for a while.

Actually, I want a car that runs on whining hippies. They seem to be in great abundance.

#221586 - 02/28/07 01:11 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Phineas]
beetleguise Offline

Quote:

Man-made global warming is a lie promulgated by the political left, specifically aimed at the US and capitalism. It is designed to cast guilty feelings on the herd in order to:

I am guessing the last science class you took was in high school at best. Despite the political benefits you see in global warming, global warming has been and continues to be augmented by human activity. While the earth's climate does change without human activity, as seen in the geological record, the rate at which it is changing now is unprecidented and is shown to be heavily influenced by green house gases. Whether or not this is being used to obtain more tax payers money or create a herd mentality does not change the fact that the global warming we are now experiences is and will continue to be caused by HUMAN ACTIVITY. You can label this as left-wing propagenda if it will help you sleep at night, but that would only promote your own stupidity.

#221587 - 02/28/07 01:24 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: beetleguise]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:

Quote:

Man-made global warming is a lie promulgated by the political left, specifically aimed at the US and capitalism. It is designed to cast guilty feelings on the herd in order to:

I am guessing the last science class you took was in high school at best. Despite the political benefits you see in global warming, global warming has been and continues to be augmented by human activity. While the earth's climate does change without human activity, as seen in the geological record, the rate at which it is changing now is unprecidented and is shown to be heavily influenced by green house gases. Whether or not this is being used to obtain more tax payers money or create a herd mentality does not change the fact that the global warming we are now experiences is and will continue to be caused by HUMAN ACTIVITY. You can label this as left-wing propagenda if it will help you sleep at night, but that would only promote your own stupidity.

Sorry, I just had to quote your statement. You're killing Me here!
In any event, I hope that your calling Magister Phineas 'stupid' and uneducated helps YOU sleep better at night. I am sure that he is most likely sleeping like a rock.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#221588 - 02/28/07 01:36 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Evil_Eve]
beetleguise Offline

I have no intention of backpeddling or editing what I wrote. I feel strongly about what I wrote. A lack of understanding of a subject does not mean that the it is a lie. This is the case of Phinease post which I quoted. Looking at political leverages of the issue is very interesting and enlightening, but it DOES NOT mean it doesnt exist. I appreciate the skepticismm of Magister Phineas but at the same time I am question his understanding of global warming in terms of the science behind it. If this was not made clear by my previous post, I hope this clarifies it.

#221589 - 02/28/07 02:19 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Evil_Eve]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

It's profile says it's location is UCLA. You'd think that at that level of education, professors would advise against the ad hominem approach in favor of using fact-based techniques to discuss issues.

#221590 - 02/28/07 02:29 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: RandomStranger]
beetleguise Offline

Point taken, I apologize for not being more specific and failing to reference my sources. The information on all of my points is widely available and I am blameworthy for not including it in my original post. On the same note though, Magister Phineas claims that man-made global warming is a lie without offering further support. I have no problem being held to this standard but lets keep the playing field equal.

#221591 - 02/28/07 02:37 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: beetleguise]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Not one thing I wrote implied you didn't cite your sources or were non-specific.

#221592 - 02/28/07 07:05 AM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: beetleguise]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

My degree is in chemistry with a minor in math.

Go back to sleep.

Hitting the Ignore hippie button in 5 - 4 - 3 - .....

#221593 - 02/28/07 02:37 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: RandomStranger]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
You would be surprised what many universities pass off as credible.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#221594 - 02/28/07 05:59 PM Re: Satanism and Pollution [Re: Discipline]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

I'm starting to pick up on that. It has caused me to note that the grading curve is actually an island of mediocrity and people try to claw their way to the apex.

#221595 - 02/28/07 07:08 PM Simple questions to consider. [Re: beetleguise]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
What if it turned out that you were, indeed, being lied to about this entire issue?

What if those who depend upon grants to fund their research were not as honest as you might assume?

What if politics and not science were behind many of these issues to cause people to assume they were true?

I have no intention of arguing this issue with anyone. Neither do I argue about abortion, HIV, politics in general nor even flogiston!

I will suggest that a critical part of evidence procedure in evaluating such issues involves being careful about data mining and inadequate sampling.

Those who wish to save the earth (and pin big green good guy badges on their horse manure eco-cars) are welcome to do so.

I always assume the world will not end.

I will take the bet of any fool who wishes to assume otherwise!

You cannot "save the earth".

You might be able to save yourself, though.

To me it is all a matter of numbers.

I am Number One.

Earth first.
We'll log the other planets later!

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405804 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements