Topic Options
#221806 - 02/13/07 09:51 PM Is CoS a United States Recognized Religion?
Nekrogorgasm Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am just curious if the CoS is a recognized religion in America, and if someone could point me in the direction of the documentation?

Just having the Satanic Bible on me has brought some negativity my way, and I am curious about my rights if I am to actually join the Church.

Thank you to anyone who can help me out.

#221807 - 02/13/07 10:17 PM Re: Is CoS a United States Recognized Religion? [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You need to understand US law.

The US government does not recognize any religions, as it has a secular government. Therefore, the Church of Satan has equal recognition as any other religion.

For what it's worth, we are recognized by the US military as a religious option.

You have the same First Amendment rights as any other person in regards to your religion, but you are also responsible for any guff you get for walking around toting a Satanic Bible. Your First Amendment does not protect you from:

Persons insulting you.
Being asked to leave a privately owned place, even a place of business.
Any other form of basic scorn.

You have a right to possession of your Satanic Bible on public property, and a right to practice your religion within the law any way you see fit. You also have a right not to be discriminated against in hiring or other matters. That's all.

I've never heard of a Satanist invoking his First Amendment on religious grounds, or needing to.

#221808 - 02/13/07 10:23 PM Re: Is CoS a United States Recognized Religion? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nekrogorgasm Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406009 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements