Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#221912 - 02/14/07 02:35 PM Your favorite quote
Mythil Offline

Loc: UK, Portsmouth
Many, many people have quotations in the signatures, so, shall we share our favorite "on topic" quotes with each other?
I'll get the ball rolling with a quote from one of my all time favorite authors.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when
there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.
-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

#221913 - 02/14/07 02:41 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before".
Mae West

"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter"?
Woody Allen

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#221914 - 02/14/07 02:51 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
One of my favorites quotes, I use often with clients and pushy sales people.

“Don’t make me angry, you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.” Dr. Bruce Banner/The Hulk

#221915 - 02/14/07 03:21 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
"Why am I calling you by your first names? I don't even know you. I still call my boss "Mister", and I've been working for him for seven years, but all of a sudden I walk in here and I'm calling you Rick and Sheila like we're in some kind of AA meeting... I don't want to be your buddy, Rick. I just want some breakfast". Bill Foster/Falling Down

"You see this? This is My BOOMSTICK!" Ash/Army Of Darkness

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#221916 - 02/14/07 03:27 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
"Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a Peanut Butter Cup or an English Toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is an empty box... filled with useless brown paper wrappers."

~ William B. Davis (Cigarette-Smoking Man)

waxing cynical in The X-Files
["Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man," Season 4]

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#221918 - 02/14/07 04:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
"Some motherfuckers always try to ice skate uphill." - Blade, the first movie.

#221919 - 02/14/07 04:22 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Night_Witch Offline

"Mr. Crowley, won't you ride my white horse, oh Mr. Crowley, it's symbolic of course."

Ozzy Osbourne

#221920 - 02/14/07 04:34 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
ModernTantalus Offline

It's hard to pick any one Einstein quote, but if I had to it would be this:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Albert Einstein

#221921 - 02/14/07 04:37 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
"Icing happen when the puck come down, bang you know, before the other guys. Nobody there, you know. My arm go comes out then the game stop, then start up."

-Denis Lemieux, Slap Shot.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#221922 - 02/14/07 05:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." -Ender Wiggin to his troops before battle, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

-Chess

#221923 - 02/14/07 05:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
"When in doubt, fuck" - Al Pacino's character, Lt. Col. Frank Slade, in Scent of a Woman.

And if I'm not mistaken, the censored television version is "When in doubt, make love."

Or,

"Legs. I don't care if they're Greek columns, or second-hand Steinways, but what's between them...passport to heaven." - Also Lt. Col. Frank Slade.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#221924 - 02/14/07 05:30 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Chess]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Not really 'on topic' but,
Spike Milligan's gravestone:

'I told you I was ill...'

#221925 - 02/14/07 05:55 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Mythil Offline

I like Spike Milligan, big fan of The Goon Show

#221926 - 02/14/07 06:05 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Nonesuch Offline

Loc: The Empire State
I always thought this was rather beautiful:

"There are not many persons who know what wonders are opened to them in the stories and visions of their youth; for when as children we learn and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts, and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life. But some of us awake in the night with strange phantasms of enchanted hills and gardens, of fountains that sing in the sun, of golden cliffs overhanging murmuring seas, of plains that stretch down to sleeping cities of bronze and stone, and of shadowy companies of heroes that ride caparisoned white horses along the edges of thick forests; and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy."
H.P. Lovecraft
"Celephaďs"

#221927 - 02/14/07 06:12 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Nonesuch]
Mythil Offline

Lovecraft, another fantastic writer

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404141 Posts