Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#221912 - 02/14/07 02:35 PM Your favorite quote
Mythil Offline

Loc: UK, Portsmouth
Many, many people have quotations in the signatures, so, shall we share our favorite "on topic" quotes with each other?
I'll get the ball rolling with a quote from one of my all time favorite authors.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when
there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.
-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

#221913 - 02/14/07 02:41 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before".
Mae West

"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter"?
Woody Allen

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#221914 - 02/14/07 02:51 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
Witch_Scarlet Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Texas
One of my favorites quotes, I use often with clients and pushy sales people.

“Don’t make me angry, you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.” Dr. Bruce Banner/The Hulk

#221915 - 02/14/07 03:21 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Witch_Scarlet]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
"Why am I calling you by your first names? I don't even know you. I still call my boss "Mister", and I've been working for him for seven years, but all of a sudden I walk in here and I'm calling you Rick and Sheila like we're in some kind of AA meeting... I don't want to be your buddy, Rick. I just want some breakfast". Bill Foster/Falling Down

"You see this? This is My BOOMSTICK!" Ash/Army Of Darkness

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#221916 - 02/14/07 03:27 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
"Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a Peanut Butter Cup or an English Toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is an empty box... filled with useless brown paper wrappers."

~ William B. Davis (Cigarette-Smoking Man)

waxing cynical in The X-Files
["Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man," Season 4]

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#221918 - 02/14/07 04:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pure Imagination
"Some motherfuckers always try to ice skate uphill." - Blade, the first movie.

#221919 - 02/14/07 04:22 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Night_Witch Offline

"Mr. Crowley, won't you ride my white horse, oh Mr. Crowley, it's symbolic of course."

Ozzy Osbourne

#221920 - 02/14/07 04:34 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
ModernTantalus Offline

It's hard to pick any one Einstein quote, but if I had to it would be this:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Albert Einstein

#221921 - 02/14/07 04:37 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
"Icing happen when the puck come down, bang you know, before the other guys. Nobody there, you know. My arm go comes out then the game stop, then start up."

-Denis Lemieux, Slap Shot.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#221922 - 02/14/07 05:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
"Remember, the enemy's gate is down." -Ender Wiggin to his troops before battle, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

-Chess

#221923 - 02/14/07 05:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
"When in doubt, fuck" - Al Pacino's character, Lt. Col. Frank Slade, in Scent of a Woman.

And if I'm not mistaken, the censored television version is "When in doubt, make love."

Or,

"Legs. I don't care if they're Greek columns, or second-hand Steinways, but what's between them...passport to heaven." - Also Lt. Col. Frank Slade.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#221924 - 02/14/07 05:30 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Chess]
Doctor_Beat Offline
CoS Member

Not really 'on topic' but,
Spike Milligan's gravestone:

'I told you I was ill...'

#221925 - 02/14/07 05:55 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Doctor_Beat]
Mythil Offline

I like Spike Milligan, big fan of The Goon Show

#221926 - 02/14/07 06:05 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Nonesuch Offline

Loc: The Empire State
I always thought this was rather beautiful:

"There are not many persons who know what wonders are opened to them in the stories and visions of their youth; for when as children we learn and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts, and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life. But some of us awake in the night with strange phantasms of enchanted hills and gardens, of fountains that sing in the sun, of golden cliffs overhanging murmuring seas, of plains that stretch down to sleeping cities of bronze and stone, and of shadowy companies of heroes that ride caparisoned white horses along the edges of thick forests; and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy."
H.P. Lovecraft
"Celephaïs"

#221927 - 02/14/07 06:12 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Nonesuch]
Mythil Offline

Lovecraft, another fantastic writer

#221928 - 02/14/07 07:33 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Lust Offline

When asked by a news reporter at the 6-6-06 event.

Is this something you apply to your everyday life?

"That would be like asking me if Satanism affects my life. I affect life by being a Satanist."
-Magister Rex Diabolos Church
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#221929 - 02/14/07 08:10 PM In honour of Valentine's Day... [Re: Mythil]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

"Women get all excited about nothing, and then they marry them."
--Cher

"(The lover says:) How beautiful you are, now that you love me."
--Marlene Dietrich

"That's what love is like. One person cries a lot and then they both get sarcastic."
--Author Lorrie Moore in "Anagrams"

#221930 - 02/14/07 08:23 PM Re: In honour of Valentine's Day... [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
In honour of lost loves...

I don't know anything about cars but the (now five year old) advert read something like...

"1964 Austin-Healey 3000, partly refurbished but unassembled, selling as a “project”. $6k."

I'd name that as one of my favourite quotes.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#221931 - 02/15/07 01:01 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
redheadgrl Offline

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -George Bernard Shaw

#221932 - 02/15/07 01:54 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mr_47]
Mr_47 Offline
CoS Member

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

#221933 - 02/15/07 07:14 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mr_47]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

How could I forget that one?!!! I adore that quote.

I find a lot of valuable lessons/quotes in the original Charlie and The Chololate Factory/1971. The reason I love this book/movie is because it's all about people getting what they deserve. All of the following quotes are from Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

A few of My favourites:

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it."-Willy Wonka

" *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams. So shines a good deed in a weary world."-Willy Wonka

" A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."-Willy Wonka

"So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it."-Willy Wonka

"But Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted."
Charlie Bucket: What happened? "He lived happily ever after."-Willy Wonka.

Violet Beauregarde: [while digging in a nostril] "Spitting's a dirty habit."
Willy Wonka: [glaring at her] "I know a worse one."

Mrs. Gloop: "Don't just stand there, do something!"
Willy Wonka: [unenthusiastically] "Help. Police. Murder."

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#221934 - 02/15/07 07:29 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
dangerouswoman Offline
CoS Member

Here are my two favorite quotes:

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before." Mae West

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that the stuff life is made of." Benjamin Franklin

#221935 - 02/15/07 02:24 PM Yes, it is Oscar Wilde, [Re: Mythil]
Torquemada Offline

Loc: Spain&UK
A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.

Genius is born--not paid.

I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.

I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
It is always a silly thing to give advice, but to give good advice is fatal.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.

There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated.

When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

I can resist anything but temptation.

Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.

But what is the difference between literature and journalism?
...Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

One is tempted to define man as a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.

I can believe anything, provided that it is quite incredible.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

I love acting. It is so much more real than life.

Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up

When a woman marries again, it is because she detested her first husband. When a man marries again, it is because he adored his first wife. Women try their luck; men risk theirs.

Best,

Torquemada

#221936 - 02/15/07 02:35 PM Re: Yes, it is Oscar Wilde, [Re: Torquemada]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

YAY............ That's the way I like it

#221937 - 02/15/07 02:39 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
theplague Offline

Loc: Washington State
I don't know the source of this quote, but it is one of my favorites.

"It is better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not."

Hail Satan!

#221938 - 02/15/07 02:43 PM Re: Yes, it is Oscar Wilde, [Re: LightAngel]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Along the same vein:

I recall reading something by the Good Doktor where he said:

"I refuse to die because it would only make My enemies happy" (Something along those lines) I never forgot it.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#221939 - 02/15/07 10:07 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Chess]
ThaDeej Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Greenville, SC
I just have to say - GREAT QUOTE!! GREAT BOOK!!

www.vampiretemple.com

#221940 - 02/15/07 10:09 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
ThaDeej Offline
CoS Member

I'll quote my favorite song by perhaps my favorite singer of all time:

"For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows
I took the blows
and did it my way!"

"My Way" - Frank Sinatra

www.vampiretemple.com

#221941 - 02/16/07 02:02 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I collect tons of quotes, but these are certainly among my top favorites:

• "When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out, and see that thing everywhere you look." - p

• "If you think there's a solution, then you're part of the problem." - George Carlin

• "Christianity's such an odd religion. The whole image is: eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love." - Bill Hicks

• "I find enough mystery in mathematics to satisfy my spiritual needs." - Tom Lehrer

• "'Love All' only works in tennis." - Solution to a word problem from a MENSA puzzle calendar

• "Nobody's 'happy'! Happiness comes in small doses, folks. It's a cigarette or a chocolate chip cookie or a 5 second orgasm...that's IT. OK?!" - Denis Leary

• "Takes more than combat gear to make a man, takes more than a license for a gun. Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run." - Sting

• "There is nothing in the world more interesting to me than my orgasm, and nothing in the world LESS interesting to me than yours."- Dennis Miller
  • _________________________
    Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
    New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#221942 - 02/16/07 02:17 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Drimlybunk Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: California
    "If you're not thinking you had better be feeling. If you are thinking you had better stop."

". . . who cut their wrists three times successfully unsuccessfully, gave up and were forced to open antique stores where they thought they were growing old and cried, . . ."

"I don't think one can avoid irrationality when one is young if one is planning to enjoy it when one is old."

"The age when you begin to understand dance is same as that at which you start to lose your elevation."

are thinking you had better stop."

". . . who cut their wrists three times successfully unsuccessfully, gave up and were forced to open antique stores where they thought they were growing old and cried, . . ."

"I don't think one can avoid irrationality when one is young if one is planning to enjoy it when one is old."

"The age when you begin to understand dance is same as that at which you start to lose your elevation."

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

"And oft though wisdom wake, suspicion sleeps
    At wisdom's gate, and to simplicity
    Resignes her charge, while goodness thinks no ill
    Where no ill seems"

Edited by Drimlybunk (02/16/07 02:28 AM)

#221943 - 02/16/07 03:10 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    Mr_47 Offline
    CoS Member

I have one of my fav Wonka quotes in my signature.

I own this movie on dvd, one of my favorites.

#221944 - 02/16/07 03:26 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mr_47]
    Danny Mc. Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
    "Snozzberries, who ever heard of a snozzberry?" Wonka-"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Attachments
    405869-Ms.Salt.JPG (49 downloads)

"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#221945 - 02/16/07 04:05 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Danny Mc.]
    Mr_47 Offline
    CoS Member

"Mr. Salt finally got what he wanted." - Grandpa
    "What's that?" - Charlie
    "Veruca went first."

#221946 - 02/16/07 04:35 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Wile_E_Quixote Offline
    CoS Member

"Homosexuals can't swim, they attract enemy radar, they attract sharks, they nudge people when they're trying to shoot, they always insist on sitting at "The Captain's Table"... they "muck about". Imagine... the fear... when you go to sleep with a gay man on board and think "Oh God, when I wake up, will everyone be dead?" You can't run a ship like that."

- Chris Morris in an episode of 'Brass Eye'.

#221947 - 02/16/07 05:18 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
    Rory_Rocketpants Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: unknown

Brasseye, gotta love it!

#221948 - 02/16/07 06:58 AM Re: Your favorite quote *DELETED* [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
    Mythil Offline

Post deleted by LKRice

#221949 - 02/16/07 07:50 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    ThaDeej Offline
    CoS Member

Quote:

<LI> "When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out, and see that thing everywhere you look." - <font face=symbol>p</font>

Fantastic quote from one of my favorite films.

I actually tell people this all the time. People will come to me with the latest "conspiracy" thing or 666 Number-to-Name relation puzzle. If you want to see something around you - your mind will find a way to perceive it everywhere.

Nice one!

www.vampiretemple.com

#221950 - 02/16/07 08:24 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Wile_E_Quixote Offline
    CoS Member

The thing that the press completely missed the point on with that episode in particular is that it was entirely devised to be a satire on the hysterical media circus that goes with reporting about paedophilia. Chris Morris couldn't have hoped for a more fitting reaction to underline the point he was trying to make.

Once again, the unchanging fact of life is highlighted for all to see. People really are THAT stupid.

#221951 - 02/16/07 09:39 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Alia Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: At Sorrow's End
    Where is fancy bred? In the heart or in the head?
    ~Willy Wonka

From Draven's signature. I absolutely love that quote.

Carpe Noctem

#221952 - 02/16/07 10:21 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Alia]
    MagdaGraham Offline
    CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
    “Tell me where is fancy bred?
    In the heart or in the head?”
    is originally from Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice.

My two favourite quotations are also from Shakespeare:

“This above all, to thine own self be true” – Hamlet.

“We are the makers of manners” – Henry V.

#221953 - 02/16/07 11:33 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    ThaDeej Offline
    CoS Member

Another one that just hit me:

"The only greatness for a man is immortality" - James Dean

And of course the quote from "MIGHT IS RIGHT" that is in my signature.

www.vampiretemple.com

#221954 - 02/16/07 12:24 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    HellofallHells Offline
    CoS Warlock

"Yeah whatever. Whatever the fuck ever."

Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington)- Training Day.

#221957 - 02/16/07 01:12 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Frksgoddess Offline
    CoS Witch

Loc: Grand Forks, ND
    Shawshank Redemption
    Morgan Freeman (Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding): Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

#221958 - 02/16/07 01:45 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    The_Sixth_Circle Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
    I've too many to pick one favourite, but this is a recent one:

"I want you to remember, Clark... in all the years to come... in your most private moments... I want you to remember my hand at your throat... I want you to remember the one man who beat you..."

Batman to Superman in "The Dark Knight Returns".

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#221959 - 02/16/07 04:31 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

(While taking all of my change out of my pocket and throwing it on the ground)
    "I hate being all jingly!" - Myself

"If I had a list of all the things I hate about Los Angeles, drivers will be number one." - Myself

"Ooohh. Satan." - Some random hot chick looking at my Baphomet necklace.

"I'm the shit! - Myself

(While a random crackhead asks me if I've seen his friend.)
    "Get away from me!" - Myself

"I don't go out on dates and stupid shit like that. Fuck taking a girl out to the movies and a dinner and spending money and shit. Then when you drop her off, she's going to call up some other n**** and fuck him while you go home and beat it.

Fuck that! All I have to do is call her up, ask her what beer she likes and tell her to come over my house. When she comes over, it's just me in some shorts and a couple of six packs. Then it's on!"
    - Myself talking to my friend about dating.

HS!

#221960 - 02/17/07 01:00 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    warriorgod9 Offline

Loc: Washington
    Willpower

Recognising that the power of will is the supreme court over all other departments of my mind. I will exercise it daily when I need the urge to action for any purpose; and I will form habits designed to bring the power of my will into action at least once daily.

BRUCE LEE

#221961 - 02/17/07 06:11 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ThaDeej]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

Quote:

People will come to me with the latest "conspiracy" thing or 666 Number-to-Name relation puzzle. If you want to see something around you - your mind will find a way to perceive it everywhere.

What I love about this quote is that it explains away so many different kinds of human phenomena. Some incredible lesser magic applications too, but that's another story.

A couple more favorites:

• "This is a COMPLICATED world. Short quick easy simple religious answers may make you feel good, but are not likely to be consistant with this reality."
    - Mizduk (internet post)

• "Remember that the burden of proof is on the person alleging the existence of something. If someone tells me that the Easter Bunny is hiding in somebody's clothes closet somewhere in North America, there is no need for me to search every closet on the continent. The person making the claim has to produce the rabbit or stop wasting my time." - Frank Zindler (infidels.org)

• "Those who have no sense of humor should not be taken seriously. They take themselves so seriously, they leave no room for others to do likewise." - Anton LaVey

• "Why did God sacrifice himself to himself, to correct a mistake he made himself?" - Jim Hubert, "Questions for Bible-Thumpers"

• "My sources tell me that you combine arrogance with trivia and try to pass it off as intelligence." - Dogbert

• "What I look for in a woman is what most guys look for in a woman, and what most women look for in a guy: somebody I want to be with. Somebody who's fun, intelligent, attractive. Somebody who won't be hard to spend time with. All that other stuff is just details." - Dennis Miller
  • _________________________
    Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#221962 - 02/17/07 08:31 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    ThaDeej Offline
    CoS Member

Quote:

What I love about this quote is that it explains away so many different kinds of human phenomena. Some incredible lesser magic applications too, but that's another story.
    Quote:

Definitely! One perhaps to be discussed when I get my access to the Great Downstairs!

Quote:

<LI>"Why did God sacrifice himself to himself, to correct a mistake he made himself?" - Jim Hubert, "Questions for Bible-Thumpers"

Priceless.

www.vampiretemple.com

#221963 - 02/17/07 08:34 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    ThaDeej Offline
    CoS Member

I was watching "The Departed" last night and Jack Nicholson's character said something that just had Me rolling.

"I haven't needed money since I stole Archie's milk money in the 4th grade. I don't eat pussy either. But I tell ya what, I still like it!"

Priceless on so many levels. And, as a Satanist I like the fact that it goes to show - pursuit of life is not in merely surviving, but getting what you want while you're here!

www.vampiretemple.com

#221964 - 02/17/07 08:39 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ThaDeej]
    Mythil Offline

Oh, come *on*. Revelation was a mushroom dream that belonged in the
    Apocrypha. The New Testament is basically about what happened when God got
    religion.
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

#221965 - 02/17/07 04:51 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ThaDeej]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

Quote:

Quote:

• "Why did God sacrifice himself to himself, to correct a mistake he made himself?" - Jim Hubert, "Questions for Bible-Thumpers"

• Priceless.

James Huber (I misspelled his name) is also the author of the story "Kissing Hanks Ass". I like a lot of his writings, including these two and "The Watchmaker" where he takes the old watchmaker argument for creation and twists it into a good argument for evolution. He has some of these stories as PDF files which you can print out and make flyers from.

http://www.jhuger.com/biblethumpers
    http://www.jhuger.com/kisshank
    http://www.jhuger.com/watchmaker

I love the brilliant simplicity though of the "sacrifice himself to himself" quote, as it shows what the whole born-again Xtian argument boils down to.

#221966 - 02/17/07 05:10 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

Even more favorites:

“But what is so alarming about laughter?”
    “Laughter kills fear, and without fear there can be no faith, because without fear of the Devil there is no more need of God.”

– Name of the Rose (1986)

"If Adam and Eve did not exist, and consequently there wasn't a fall from grace, what need would there be for Jesus to die for our sins?"
    "This argument sounds to me like someone saying, 'Isn't it great that people get cancer? Otherwise, there would be no need to save them with chemotherapy!'"

- talkorigins.org monthly feedback posts

"Debate is an art form. It is about the winning of arguments. It is not about the discovery of truth. There are certain rules and procedures to debate that really have nothing to do with establishing fact [...] never say anything positive about your own position because it can be attacked, but chip away at what appear to be the weaknesses in your opponent’s position. [creationists] are good at that. I don’t think I could beat the creationists at debate. I can tie them. But in courtrooms they are terrible, because in courtrooms you cannot give speeches. In a courtroom you have to answer direct questions about the positive status of your belief. We destroyed them in Arkansas. On the second day of the two-week trial we had our victory party!”
    - Stephen Jay Gould

"When I entered college I was thinking of majoring in English, but that would have required reading far too many books, too few of which I might possibly enjoy. I was also considering majoring in chemistry, but there were all those labs and smells to contend with. Math was much easier. There were frequent homework assignments, so I didn't really have to study for the exams, because if you'd done the homework, you pretty much knew the material. There were no labs, no long reading lists, and no term papers to put off as long as possible. Perfect for a lazy student."
    - Tom Lehrer

#221967 - 02/17/07 05:59 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book"

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy"

"You'd better beat it. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff".

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know".

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five"

The one and only
    Groucho Marx

Church of Satan

#221968 - 02/17/07 08:17 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
    My favorite:

"Life transcends meaning. If someone's seeking the meaning of life, it implies to me that their life must be pretty meaningless"-Boyd Rice

#221969 - 02/17/07 08:59 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    BlasphemousOne Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
    "If you have it, you don't need it. If you need it you don't have it. If you have it you need more of it. If you have more of it, you don't need less of it. You need it to get it. And you certainly need it to get more of it. But if you don't already have any of it to begin with, you can't get any of it to get started, which means you really have no idea how to get it in the first place. Do you? You can share it, sure. You can even stock pile it if you'd like. But you can't fake it. Wanting it. Needing it. Wishing for it. The point is, if you've never had any of it, ever, people just seem to know." ~Bruce Campbell

#221970 - 02/17/07 09:52 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

Quote:

The one and only
    Groucho Marx

"I'll thank you to let me do the reporting around here. Is it true you're getting a divorce as soon as your husband recovers his eyesight? Is it true you wash your hair in clam broth? Is it true you used to dance in a flea circus?"

"You call this a party? The beer is warm, the women cold and I'm hot under the collar."

#221971 - 02/18/07 01:14 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

I'm glad I was holding my full to the top cup of orange juice in my hand and not drinking when I read those quotes.

I can't help picturing Groucho with cigar in hand and eyebrows rising speaking those words.

Church of Satan

#221972 - 02/18/07 02:41 PM My Favorite INSANE quote [Re: Mythil]
    Mr. Obsidian Offline
    CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
    This is one of the funniest quotes I've found in a long time, and also another clear example(as if one needs more) of why proponents of creationism are not merely funny, but SCARY:

"We really have dinosaurs today, without any question. You just need the right weather conditions, as I see it, to get huge creatures. And in the ocean, of course, we have huge creatures....this is where the plesiosauruses seem to be today, and perhaps also this fire breathing dragon is still down there -- very rare, but occasionally there."

--Rev. Walter Lang
    Founder,
    Bible-Science Association

Sometimes, when it rains hard enough, or weather conditions are otherwise just right, one can find megalodons performing the breaststroke with perfect form in the puddles of my driveway.
    If I pray hard enough, faeries will usually come and scare them away before any sharks get the chance to swim into my well.

HS!

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
    ~ Charles Bukowski

#221973 - 02/18/07 05:19 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

"Shit, if you want to go to heaven, DIE! And stop bugging people."
    - Redd Foxx

"Why be boring? Have some fun. Rock shows should be like movies: I don't go to a movie hoping it'll change my life. When I saw 'Jaws 3', it wasn't a great movie, but it was worth the seven bucks to see the shark eat the helicopter. It was a wonderful waste of time."
    - Alice Cooper

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone."
    - Bill Cosby

"Evolution...which is a load of crap. The scientists with their 'theories' and their 'facts'. That's nonsense. Everybody knows it was a talking snake in a tree. We all know that! It wasn't this long, protracted evolutionary process. It was a talking snake in a tree."
    - David Cross

#221974 - 02/19/07 12:59 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!"

John Milton (Al Pacino)
    "The Devil's Advocate"

Church of Satan

#221975 - 02/19/07 05:20 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    sinwell Offline

"I am a sinner and I like the way it feels."

#221976 - 02/19/07 06:40 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Zaith Offline

this must be my favorite one.... Look at the sig.

#221977 - 02/19/07 08:21 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Assabrah Offline
    CoS Warlock

This one, forever :

"There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know that I am mad."

#221978 - 02/20/07 05:48 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    LightAngel Offline

Veni, vidi, vici.
    (I came, I saw, I conquered)
    - Julius Caesar

#221979 - 02/20/07 11:51 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: LightAngel]
    MagdaGraham Offline
    CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
    I am currently putting together the next Newsletter of a local animal welfare group, and was gathering a few quotations, which are very useful space-fillers. I found this one.

The haughty, the unconquered, the mysterious, the luxurious, the Babylonian, the impersonal, the eternal companion of superiority and art – the type of perfect beauty and the brother of poetry – the bland, grave, competent and patrician cat. H.P.Lovecraft 1890-1937

#221980 - 02/20/07 12:10 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: MagdaGraham]
    Alia Offline
    CoS Member

Quote:

“Tell me where is fancy bred?
    In the heart or in the head?”
    is originally from Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice.

Thank you, Priestess Graham.

Another one I really like is the one in Warlock Leviathan's signature:

"As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be - warfare without end!"

Edited by Alia (02/20/07 12:51 PM)

#221981 - 02/20/07 02:54 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Undead67 Offline

Loc: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
    I will not be a victim of this world.
    This world will be MY victim.
    -Myself

#221982 - 02/21/07 08:25 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    French Lady Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: France
    The translation is poor- If someone's got the litterate one, thank you in advance.

"In these tring times, one should grant his contempt parsimoniously, for the needy are plentifull"

François René, vicomte de Chateaubriand in Mémoires d'Outre-Tombe

"En ces temps difficiles, il convient d'accorder notre mépris avec parcimonie, tant nombreux sont les nécessiteux."

"Share something you like with someone you love and you will feel very good.
    - Wrong! Then I'll only have half of it, and it will feel half as good as I could have felt
    - All you have to do is buy twice as much to start with."

Me and my sister talking.

Thank you.

#221983 - 02/21/07 12:12 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    euol Offline
    Banned

Quote:

" *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams."

That quote always causes my thoughts to roam to a few rather exceptional people whom I've had the pleasure of knowing. I'm quite pleased to see others quote it as well.

And here is part of my favorite song, by Tool:

"[...]

I sold my soul to make a record, dipshit.
    And -you- bought one!

[...]

So shut up and

Buy my new record!
    Send more money!"

#221984 - 02/21/07 01:35 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Alia Offline
    CoS Member

"Mine is the Earth and the Sword in the Stone,
    Mine is the Throne for the Idol,
    One fleeting moment and it's all gone;
    Crownless again, will I fall?"

- Crownless, Nightwish

Carpe Noctem

#221985 - 02/22/07 06:39 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    TheAdversary Offline

From Douglas Adams "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has widely been regarded as a bad move."

"The first thing i like in the morning is a hot pot of coffee. Oh, i've tried other enemas, but thier just not the same..." Emo Philips.

"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life unless i buy something." Jackie Mason.

And a more serious, tragic quote: "We will only have peace when the Arabs love thier children more than they hate us." Golda Meir.

#221986 - 02/24/07 12:42 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    G.F.V. Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: NYC
    Here's one of my all time favorites. I don't know who coined the phrase, but it's so true:

"Nice guys do not finish last; they do not finish at all."

#221987 - 02/24/07 02:24 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    BakaMatt Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
    "Work smarter, not harder. But, remember, working smart will always be dirtier than working hard."
    -My Uncle

#221988 - 02/24/07 10:50 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
    "All you get out of convincing an idiot, is an idiot convinced"
    I have no idea who's quote that is, but I've been using it a lot lately. Anybody know?

"Wisdom is not communicable. The wisdom which a wise man tries to communicate always sounds foolish... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it."

HERMANN HESSE, Siddhartha

"What I always hated and detested and cursed above all things was this contentment, this healthiness and comfort, this carefully preserved optimism of the middle classes, this fat and prosperous brood of mediocrity."

HERMANN HESSE, Steppenwolf

#221989 - 02/24/07 11:03 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: The_Lightning]
    euol Offline
    Banned

Quote:

"What I always hated and detested and cursed above all things was this contentment, this healthiness and comfort, this carefully preserved optimism of the middle classes, this fat and prosperous brood of mediocrity."

I like that. Thank you for sharing it.

#221990 - 02/24/07 12:32 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    LightAngel Offline

''You can't buy beauty, even Marilyn Monroe had cosmetic surgery on her nose and chin, and she also changed her front teeths, but it's still her inner beauty that we like, isn't it?! - so to be lovely has nothing to do with what skin we are born in, it's all about the inside'' - qoute by me ( Silly I know )

But I'm strong enough to take a shit lol

#221991 - 02/24/07 12:37 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: LightAngel]
    Evil_Eve Offline
    CoS Member

Beauty is only skin deep.

"A balm for the ugly, who cannot help but harbor hosility because of their condition. The plain and ugly often mask hostility behind an unctuous or affable facade which is sometimes mistaken for 'inner beauty'." - Anton Szandor LaVey (The Devil's Notebook).

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
    Revered.

#221992 - 02/24/07 12:49 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    LightAngel Offline

Very true, but often they also do the opposite, they just act plain hostile.

#221993 - 02/24/07 12:59 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: LightAngel]
    euol Offline
    Banned

I love people for their brains. It is the brain that makes the person; I love intelligence, wit, large amounts of humor and talent. I cannot, however, deal with people that have no respect for themselves.

Natural ugliness is one thing; lack of care is another. Overweight people turn me off immediately, because I think on sight that they can't care about themselves, or they wouldn't have let themselves get so goddamn fat in the first place. People that don't wash, that wear extremely baggy or dark clothing, or ever try to be attractive at all turn me off. People that know that they are not attractive and spout some BS about how they "want people to love me for me" will never get anyone worthwhile, because no one worthwhile (like myself) would even approach them in the first place!

My point is, some people may have delightful minds and truly be "beautiful" on the inside -- but most decent, self-respecting people will never know. The only people that will know, will be people that don't appreciate it, because they, also, lack self-respect.

They'll never respect me, if they can't muster some dignity up for themselves. Why bother?

#221994 - 02/24/07 01:10 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: LightAngel]
    Evil_Eve Offline
    CoS Member

I notice that you edited your post. In any event, what does this mean?:

Quote:

But I'm strong enough to take a shit lol

So are infants.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
    Revered.

#221995 - 02/24/07 01:41 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    LightAngel Offline

Sure, and they also admit it lol

#221996 - 02/24/07 01:43 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: euol]
    LightAngel Offline

Quote:

I love people for their brains. It is the brain that makes the person; I love intelligence, wit, large amounts of humor and talent. I cannot, however, deal with people that have no respect for themselves.

Natural ugliness is one thing; lack of care is another. Overweight people turn me off immediately, because I think on sight that they can't care about themselves, or they wouldn't have let themselves get so goddamn fat in the first place.

I agree with you, or at least I use to, but the last girlfriend I had was actually a lil overweight ( yes, I'm bi ) but she was still beautiful outside and inside, so it didn't really bother me, maybe it was because of her high IQ, and she was also a very loving person at the same time ( and that is the best IQ in my eyes ) - so I didn't have any complaints, I don't see the world in just black and white.

Nobody is perfect you know! - And what is perfect anyway?! - That can only be a matter of taste, she was perfect for me at the time.

I know that people who are overweight can have the same imbalance that people have when they are on drugs, but she wasn't like that, she was a creative genius.

and she wasn't boring like all the people who starve themselves

And to be a lil chubby is actually very healthy, so I have no problem with it!

It's only when people are unhealty I see it as a problem.

#221997 - 02/24/07 02:06 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: euol]
    Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
    I love people for their brains.

I think that's a quote from Hannibal Lecter.

#221998 - 02/24/07 02:07 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    LightAngel Offline

Another quote I like.

''Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized'' - Albert Einstein

#221999 - 02/24/07 02:41 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Old_Pig]
    LightAngel Offline

Quote:

I love people for their brains.

I think that's a quote from Hannibal Lecter.

LOL

#222000 - 02/24/07 02:46 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Old_Pig]
    euol Offline
    Banned

If so, then that's a good quote.

#222001 - 02/24/07 04:26 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: The_Lightning]
    Reclusix Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Florida
    Quote:

"All you get out of convincing an idiot, is an idiot convinced"
    I have no idea who's quote that is, but I've been using it a lot lately. Anybody know?

That is also one of my favorites. Perhaps you are thinking of this post:

http://www.satannet.com/lttd/showflat.php?Number=355953

#222002 - 02/24/07 08:57 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"By visually measuring the wrinkles in the front of your pants,
    calculating your body mass based on your height and weight,
    and dividing that number by your waist size --
    I conclude that you have absolutely nothing in your pocket and are, in fact, glad to see me."

Author ? ? --

Church of Satan

#222003 - 02/27/07 06:29 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Lust Offline

"What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!"

- Pope Leo X
    �Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
    Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#222004 - 03/10/07 11:52 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Discipline Offline
    CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
    I am bring this one back to the top.

I just remembered one of my favorite quotes from Richard Feynman.

"Mathematics is to physics as masturbation is to sex."

Also I have good quotes in my signature below.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#222005 - 03/11/07 07:04 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Discipline]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

>> "Mathematics is to physics as masturbation is to sex."

Yeah, I've heard that one. I hate it.

#222006 - 03/12/07 12:10 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    Discipline Offline
    CoS Warlock

I like that quote, but I would never claim math to be boring and pointless. Math has far more applications than just physics.

I like the quote because it is funny and because it has pissed off every math major I have ever met.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#222007 - 03/12/07 01:16 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Cerberus Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Denver, CO
    The one attached to my signature, hence the use of this particular quote.

Citizen of the Infernal Empire

#222008 - 03/12/07 02:42 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Babydoll Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Australia
    "Everything you say says something about you"

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#222009 - 03/12/07 11:32 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Discipline]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

Quote:

I like the quote because it is funny and because it has pissed off every math major I have ever met.

Oh it was witty, I'll give him that. And I still like Feynman. I just disagree with the "math is pointless and dull unless it has real-life application" school of thought. I guess Rutherford's quote about physics and "stamp collecting" has likewise pissed off a few physics majors.

#222010 - 03/12/07 09:33 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    Discipline Offline
    CoS Warlock

>>I guess Rutherford's quote about physics and "stamp collecting" has likewise pissed off a few physics majors.

I would not know. I am neither a math or physics major. I am one of those nasty engineering majors.

#222011 - 03/14/07 11:36 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Discipline]
    BlutxUndxEhre Offline

Loc: Michigan.
    From the Star Wars game Knights of The Old Republic- "Query: Shall we kill something to cheer ourselves up, master?" -HK-47

#222012 - 03/16/07 10:14 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    Darkened Offline

Not that i'm a fan of his, but this one has a bit of a personal backstory...

"Man creates god in his own image."
    -Karl Marx

#222013 - 03/17/07 01:58 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"Once upon a time, in a faraway corner of the universe,
    poured out and glistening in infinite solar systems,
    there was a constellation on which clever animals invented knowledge.
    It was the most arrogant and devious minute of 'world history':
    but still only a minute.
    After just a few breaths that nature took, the constellation froze, and the clever animals had to die.
    Someone could invent a fable of that sort and still not illustrate adequately how wretched, how shadowy and volatile,
    how purposeless and random human intellect appears within nature."

Church of Satan

#222014 - 03/17/07 02:49 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    slaughteredsheep Offline

Loc: Does it matter?
    There are quite a few of them here, since I have truoble picking my favorite. I have a notebook in my study that I use for my personal thoughts and writings, and when I was in high school I covered it with my favorite quotes. These are a few of them, and I hope you all enjoy!

"I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me." -Dave Barry

"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet." -Dave Barry

"America has never been united by blood or birth or soil. We are bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests and teach us what it means to be citizens." -George W. Bush (Also, this is the only thing he has ever said that I think has any wisdom to it... somebody else must have written this speech for him!)

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." -Sir Winston Churchill

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes." -Ronald Reagan (this was said during a microphone test at a radio station)

"The greatest conflicts are not between two people but between one person and himself." -Garth Brooks

And my personal favorite:

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -Mark Twain

#222015 - 03/17/07 02:59 AM Forgot One! [Re: Mythil]
    slaughteredsheep Offline

Loc: Does it matter?
    I know I've already posted quite a few, but I always post this one when asked to and I forgot to include it!

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." -Mark Twain

#241123 - 05/08/07 12:34 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    TheNaturalForce Offline
    Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
    There are so many great statements that I cannot possibly pick an ultimate favorite, but heres a few that I have been mulling over recently.

----

"I," you say, and are proud of the word. But greater is that in which you do not wish to have faith - your body and its great reason: that does not say "I," but does "I."

The you is older than the I; the you has been pronounced holy, but not yet the I: so man crowds towards his neighbor.

A tablet of the good hangs over every people. Behold, it is the tablet of their overcomings; behold, it is the voice of their will to power.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

----

I've been quite the Nietzche enthusiast lately, always finding interesting statements in his works.

#241127 - 05/08/07 01:16 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: TheNaturalForce]
    Jack_Lantern Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: America
    Proffesor Farnsworth: For instance, if you were to meet your own grandfather and kill him, you would cease to exist!

P.J. Fry: [GASP!] But existing is all that I basically do!

#241135 - 05/08/07 01:43 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

I have way too many to count but I've always liked these from Steven Wright

"I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game 'Monopoly'."

"What's another word for 'Thesaurus'?"

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#241137 - 05/08/07 02:05 AM Favourite Movie Quotes [Re: Mythil]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

Let me take this in a slightly different direction for kicks and giggles...

Favourite Movie Quotes...in no particular order:

"Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?" American Psycho

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning..smells like..victory." Apocalypse Now

"The central message of Buddhism is not - Every Man For Himself." A Fish Called Wanda

"Never give up! Never surrender!" Galaxy Quest

"That's no moon. That's a space station." Star Wars

"I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen." Say Anything

"Oh no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast." King Kong

"Coffee is for closers." Glengarry Glen Ross

"I don't like alarms, Mr. White." Resevoir Dogs

"Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" The Wizard of Oz

"Round up the usual suspects." Casablanca

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." The Usual Suspects

"We all go a little mad sometimes...haven't you? Psycho

#241170 - 05/08/07 05:57 AM Re: Favourite Movie Quotes [Re: Shade]
    Noelia Offline

Loc: Spain
    "My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" The princess bride.

I loooove that movie!

Plus I nail the accent down!! hahaha!

#241177 - 05/08/07 07:27 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
    "Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had a no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, Send in the marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a shit. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fuckin' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the fuckin' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure fuck it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president."

Good Will Hunting

#241184 - 05/08/07 09:10 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Eibon]
    sub50hz Offline

Loc: Chicago
    "If you're part of a crew, nobody ever tells you that they're going to kill you, doesn't happen that way. There weren't any arguments or curses like in the movies. See, your murders come with smiles, they come as your friends, the people who've cared for you all of your life. And they always seem to come at a time that you're at your weakest and most in need of their help. "

Ray Liotta, Goodfellas

#241194 - 05/08/07 09:34 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: sub50hz]
    Evil_Eve Offline
    CoS Member

"GO AWAY"!
    ~Magister Rose.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
    Revered.

#241196 - 05/08/07 09:37 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    D. Macabre Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: The South Bay, CA
    My favorite quote of all time comes from my favorite actor of the Horror genre, it's a quote I hold very true to my own life.

"A man who limits his interests, limits his life"

~Vincent Price
    The Social Cesspool!
    The Grumpy Sergeant

"A man who limits his interests, limits his life." --Vincent Price

“Do what you want as long as it's paying off for you. But once it's become a liability, then something is wrong and you better find out what it is.” --Anton Szandor LaVey

"I have only ONE thing to say to trendy brain-dead music-centered youth: “ARBEIT MACHT FREI” SHITHEADS – PULL UP YOUR STUPID PANTS AND FORM A LINE AT THE PLATFORMS, THE TRAINS WILL BE ARRIVING SOON." --Magister James D. Sass

#241213 - 05/08/07 11:00 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: D. Macabre]
    Jack_Lantern Offline
    CoS Member

Batman: Alfred, I need a way to get in the asylum.

Alfred Pennyworth: Might I suggest, dressing up in tights and pretending you're a bat?

Dr Ray Stantz: Gozer the Gozerian... good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: [Sarcastically] That oughta do it. Thanks very much, Ray.
    Gozer: [Evil voice] Are you a God?
    Dr Ray Stantz: [Looks at Peter, Peter nods] No.
    Gozer: Then... DIE!
    [Electrocutes the Ghostbusters; pushing them to the edge of the apartment building; people below scream]
    Winston Zeddemore: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a "God", you say "YES"!

Stuntman Mike: Well Pam, which way you goin' left or right?
    Pam- segment 'Death Proof': Right.
    Stuntman Mike: Ah, that's too bad.
    Pam- segment 'Death Proof': Why?
    Stuntman Mike: Well, because there was a 50/50 shot on whether you'd be going left. You see, we're both going left. You could have just as easily been going left too and if that was the case, it would have been awhile before you started getting scared. But since you're going the other way, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start getting scared... immediately.

Wray: That's my jacket. I looked for it for two weeks.
    Cherry: You didn't look for me for two weeks.
    Wray: The jacket belonged to me, you didn't.

#241224 - 05/08/07 12:07 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Jack_Lantern]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"I will have one mistress here

and no master!" Queen Elizabeth I

Church of Satan

#241241 - 05/08/07 01:51 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    sub50hz Offline

Loc: Chicago
    The Illustrious ATHF:

Robot: You remember that Christmas, don't you?
    Carl: No, I, you know, I remember eating carpet, but not so much the lasers and the robots though.
    Robot: The war of man against machine raged on through the early 70s. You don't remember because back then it was only a prophecy, but now, in the future, the past has occurred.
    Carl: Just hang on a second, okay?
    Robot: Surely.
    Carl: You're the ghost of Christmas past, right?
    Robot: That is correct.
    Carl: Okay, well, I mean, you know that it's February, right?
    Robot: I am a robot.
    Carl: Well, ya know, obviously. What are you, stupid?
    Robot: W- Well no I -- I will see you in December. Tomorrow.

#241252 - 05/08/07 02:45 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: sub50hz]
    Fagneto Offline
    The Weakest Link

Loc: CT
    Nightbreed.

I'm an actor, see? There's a face beneath THIS FACE! I show you, then you take me!

-ripppppppp-

Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!
    I am forever in the shadow of my crime, and for that I ask for punishment but only of the level I earned. I ask to not be removed from the place I find truth. I have been a very small creature, and have no excuse.

#241257 - 05/08/07 03:00 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Fagneto]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

Ah, good one! Horror movie quotes are especially fun. These are more camp than horror but still good...

"It's a trick, get an ax." Army of Darkness

"Hallo. Vould you like a roll in ze hay? It's fun. Roll, roll, roll in ze hay!" Young Frankenstein

#241260 - 05/08/07 03:13 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Eibon]
    RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
     Originally Posted By: iblisrising
    "Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Good Will Hunting

I LOVE this one. Recognized it from the first line as being from that movie. I'd have to list this as one of my all time favorite movies too. *note to self: write that down somewhere*
    "The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#241261 - 05/08/07 03:31 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Discipline]
    RottenBonnie Offline

Originally Posted By: Discipline
    I like that quote, but I would never claim math to be boring and pointless. Math has far more applications than just physics.

Ah, I think the math majors are being too short sighted (and perhaps the original author of the quote). Both masturbation AND sex are beautiful expressions of sexuality. Neither is superior, nor inferior, to the other--just different. I choose BOTH Math AND Physics, thank you very much.
    "The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

#241264 - 05/08/07 03:49 PM A war quote [Re: Mythil]
    RottenBonnie Offline

"Naturally the common people don't want war: neither Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along...all you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Hemann Goering, Commander In Chief of the Zuftwaffe at the Nuremberg trials.

#241267 - 05/08/07 03:57 PM Re: My Favorite INSANE quote [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
    RottenBonnie Offline

I like yours better...especially the part about praying for faeries to scare the sharks away. But only if the weather is right. Very rare. WHAT a scream.

#241435 - 05/09/07 11:50 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Roho_the_Rooster Offline
    CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
    I put my favorite quote in my sig: "Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from." -Jodie Foster

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#241463 - 05/09/07 01:23 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: D. Macabre]
    D. Macabre Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: The South Bay, CA
    This is one of my favorite quotes from Magister Svengali, he said it on this board sometime ago.

"I have only ONE thing to say to trendy brain-dead music-centered youth: “ARBEIT MACHT FREI” SHITHEADS – PULL UP YOUR STUPID PANTS AND FORM A LINE AT THE PLATFORMS, THE TRAINS WILL BE ARRIVING SOON."
    The Social Cesspool!
    The Grumpy Sergeant

"A man who limits his interests, limits his life." --Vincent Price

“Do what you want as long as it's paying off for you. But once it's become a liability, then something is wrong and you better find out what it is.” --Anton Szandor LaVey

"I have only ONE thing to say to trendy brain-dead music-centered youth: “ARBEIT MACHT FREI” SHITHEADS – PULL UP YOUR STUPID PANTS AND FORM A LINE AT THE PLATFORMS, THE TRAINS WILL BE ARRIVING SOON." --Magister James D. Sass

#241507 - 05/09/07 04:50 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Shade]
    Fagneto Offline
    The Weakest Link

"You just killed your girlfriend with a chain saw...does that sound finnnnne?"

Evil Dead 2
    I am forever in the shadow of my crime, and for that I ask for punishment but only of the level I earned. I ask to not be removed from the place I find truth. I have been a very small creature, and have no excuse.

#241611 - 05/10/07 05:39 AM Re: Favourite Movie Quotes [Re: Shade]
    Rodim Offline

"Well thats BULLSHIT, i happen to be sharon stones cousin, i gotta win the Elections." Forgot the movies name, i think it was black-president or something.

"You bitch!" Legally Blonde part one.

"Cut me some slack here alright, go get urself a blowjob" Topgun.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#241642 - 05/10/07 09:44 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"I think you should defend to the death their right to march, and then go down and meet them with baseball bats".

"I'd call him a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse".

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank"

"In Beverly Hills... they don't throw their garbage away. They make it into television shows".

"Love is the answer, but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty interesting questions".

"Marriage is the death of hope".

"Not only is there no God, but try finding a plumber on Sunday".

"Remember, if you smoke after sex you're doing it too fast".

"Sex between 2 people is a beautiful thing;
    between 5 it's fantastic".

"Tradition is the illusion of permanance".

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred".

Woody Allen

Church of Satan

#241647 - 05/10/07 10:01 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    Evil_Eve Offline
    CoS Member

All taken from one of My most favourite movies of ALL TIME...

Steel Magnolia's. (Which by the way I feel is a highly SATANIC movie). This is of course, My personal opinion.

Quote:
    Time marches on and sooner or later you realize it is marchin' across your face. ~Truvy

Quote:

Ouiser Boudreaux: I am just about at the end of my rope with you.
    Drum: Well, then why don't you tie a noose and slip it 'round your head?

Quote:
    All gay men have track lightin'. And all gay men are named Mark, Rick, or Steve
    ~Clairee Belcher

Quote:
    I'm not crazy, M'Lynn, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!
    Ouiser Boudreaux

Quote:
    Annelle: I think we should pray.
    Sammy: I'd rather eat dirt!

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Annelle: Sammy Wayne Desoto, what is this in my Frigidaire?
    Sammy: Beer.
    Annelle: I don't care what you do with your refrigerator, but you will not keep liquor in mine.
    [dumps the beer out in the yard]
    Sammy: Oh, Annelle, for Christ's sake!
    Annelle: Who? Who did you say?
    Sammy: Christ, Christ, Christ!
    Annelle: Are you speaking of our Lord? Is that whose name you're taking in vain?
    Sammy: That's the one.
    Annelle: Well, I'm sorry, Sammy. But I am not about to spend the next fifty years of my life with someone I'm not gonna run into in the hereafter.
    Sammy: Oh, Annelle, goddammit!
    Annelle: I think we should pray.
    Sammy: Oh, I'd rather eat dirt!

Quote:
    When it comes to pain and suffering, she's right up there with Elizabeth Taylor.
    ~Truvy

Quote:
    I'm not as sweet as I used to be.
    Ouiser Boudreaux

Quote:
    Oh! Well don't you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin' God-only-knows-what! They'd probably make me eat a live chicken!
    ~ Ouiser Boudreaux

Quote:
    Annelle, take your Bible and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.
    ~Ouiser Boudreaux

Quote:
    Ouiser, I'd recognize this penmanship anywhere. You have the handwritin' of a serial killer.
    ~Clairee Belcher

Quote:
    Ouiser, you sound almost chipper what happened today you run over a small child or something?
    ~Clairee Belcher

Quote:
    Maybe she's praying for Marshall and Drew and Belle. Maybe she's praying for us because we're gossiping. Maybe she's praying because the elastic is shot in her pantyhose! Who knows! She prays a the drop of a hat these days.
    ~Truvy

Quote:
    Don't try to get on my good side, Truvy. I no longer have one!
    ~Ouiser Boudreaux

Quote:
    M'Lynn: [crying] I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine.
    [screaming]
    M'Lynn: I'm fine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't! She never could! Oh God! I am so mad I don't know what to do! I wanna know why! I wanna know *why* Shelby's life is over! I wanna know how that baby will *ever* know how wonderful his mother was! Will he *ever* know what she went through for him! Oh *God* I wanna know *why*? *Why*? Lord, I wish I could understand!
    [In a firm tone]
    M'Lynn: No! No! No! It's not supposed to happen this way! I'm supposed to go first. I've always been ready to go first! I-I don't think I can take this! I-I don't think I can take this! I-I just wanna *hit* somebody 'til they feel as bad as I do! I just wanna *hit* something! I wanna *hit it hard*!
    [continues sobbing]
    Clairee: *Here*!
    [Grabs Ouiser by the shoulder and positions her in front of M'Lynn]
    Clairee: *Hit this*! Go ahead M'Lynn, *slap her*!
    Ouiser Boudreaux: [Taken aback and confused] Are you crazy?
    Clairee: *Hit her*!
    Ouiser Boudreaux: *Are you high, Clairee*?
    Ouiser Boudreaux: [In a frightened tone] Clairee, have you lost your mind?
    Clairee: We'll sell t-shirts sayin' "I SLAPPED OUISER BOUDREAUX!" Hit her!
    Annelle: [in a scared tone] Ms. Clairee, enoough!
    Clairee: Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man! Knock her lights out, M'Lynn!
    Ouiser Boudreaux: [snatches away] Let go o' me!
    Clairee: M'LYNN, YOU JUST MISSED THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME! HALF O' CHIQUAPIN PARISH'LL GIVE THEIR EYE-TEETH TO TAKE A WHACK O' OUISER!

Edited by Evil_Eve (05/10/07 10:16 AM)
    Edit Reason: Added additional quote and picture.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
    Revered.

#241660 - 05/10/07 11:02 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

Quote:
    Ouiser Boudreaux

\:D \:D \:D

Church of Satan

#241664 - 05/10/07 11:13 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    LightAngel Offline

This topic belongs in the humor forum

They seek him here, they seek him there
    Those Frenchies seek him everywhere
    Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
    That demned elusive Pimpernel

- Scarlet Pimpernel Lyrics HA HA

#241665 - 05/10/07 11:14 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    Evil_Eve Offline
    CoS Member

Originally Posted By: gypsy
     Quote:
    Ouiser Boudreaux

\:D \:D \:D

Ahahahahah!

I always pictured you and I as those two in our twilight years. Which one is WITCH? (Yes, pun and spelling intended).

I don't know.

Ahahahah!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
    Revered.

#241686 - 05/10/07 12:20 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

Quote:
    I always pictured you and I as those two in our twilight years. Which one is WITCH? (Yes, pun and spelling intended).

gypsy = Ouiser \:D \:D

Church of Satan

#241707 - 05/10/07 01:35 PM Re: Favourite Movie Quotes [Re: ]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

I love the Bladerunner quote!

A couple of my favourites from Hitchhiker's Guide:
    -----------------------

“Oh great Deep Thought, we have travelled long and hard – have you calculated the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?”
    “Ooooh, no.”
    “What?”
    “I’ve been watching t.v.”
    -----------------------

“Perhaps I’m old and tired but I think the chances of finding out what’s actually going on are so absurdly remote, that the only thing to do is say hang the sense of it and keep yourself busy. I’d much rather be happy than right any day.”
    -“And are you?”
    “-Uuuuh… No, Haha, <snort> well that’s where it all falls down of course… “
    -----------------------

“Is she the one?” The answer bloody well isn’t 42.

#241768 - 05/10/07 04:08 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"Fucking pussies.

I'm sorry, but women are supposed to cook and sew and do the dishes and nuture the kids for those first few years.

Men are supposed to be the breadwinners. "Slaves" if you must. We're the soldiers, the fighters, the workers. We're supposed to teach our sons to fight, to work, to kill, to be strong. That is how the male sex is personified, strength.

That is our role and there is nothing to be ashamed about that.

To all the males in here that are defending the current bitchified status-quo of politicised feminine bullshittery need to screw your nuts on and go knock some shit over with your dick.

You're expendable. Get over it".

CoS member Felstorm

Church of Satan

#242183 - 05/12/07 04:37 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: gypsy]
    Bill_M Offline
    CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: gypsy
    Woody Allen

I like this one from his stand-up albums:

"Years ago, my mother gave me a brass bullet. And I put it in my breast pocket. Two years after that, I was walking down the street, when a berserk evangelist heaved a Gideon bible out a hotel room window, hitting me in the chest. That Bible would have gone through my heart if it wasn't for the bullet."

#242306 - 05/12/07 03:42 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Bill_M]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

Oh, that is beautiful.

Church of Satan

#242470 - 05/13/07 03:18 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Mr_47 Offline
    CoS Member

"How come God hogs all the good followers and we get all the retards?"

I really liked the Spawn movie, Lequizamo's character had a lot of quotable lines.

#243466 - 05/17/07 05:05 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Noordenzuid Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
    My signature below...

Edited by noordenzuid (05/17/07 05:06 AM)

-Albert Camus

"To passion, to paradise, to pain, to night."

#243656 - 05/17/07 09:59 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Catalyst Offline
    Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
    "I like them French fried potaters" Billy Bob Thorton, Slingblade 1996

"Alice: Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs. " Alice; Alice in Wonderland 1951

"Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
    Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked shit that high."
    Full Metal Jacket 1987

"Private Joker: The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive" Full Metal Jacket 1987

If we were to sit here and list off all of my favorite quotes we would be here all day!

#245496 - 05/27/07 04:28 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Catalyst]
    Alia Offline
    CoS Member

"I like that thing you're almost wearing."

- James Bond in Diamonds are forever

Carpe Noctem

#246197 - 05/31/07 12:25 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    AztecRed Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
    "Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude (denn sie kommt von Herzen)."

"Never ask a man where's he's been. If he's out on legitimate business, he doesn't need an alibi. And, girls, if he has been out on illegitimate business, it's your own fault." - Mae West

"One is always considered mad when one perfects something that others cannot grasp." - Edward D. Wood

"What is mind, no matter-what is matter, never mind." - Homer J Simpson

"Animals with fangs should not waste their time trying to graze." - A lady from youtube.

"Doubt is the seed from which the tree of knowledge sprouts. The devoutly religious are like salted earth. Barren and incapable of knowledge and thought. The skeptic is a field of the darkest and most fertile soil you've ever seen. The skeptic should be tended and valued as such." - Me

#246231 - 05/31/07 08:56 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: AztecRed]
    Rory Offline

Loc: Louisiana
    "If wishes were fishes we would all cast nets" Gurney Halleck, Weaponmaster, House Atreides, Planet Calladan (from the book "Dune" by Frank Herbert)

#246732 - 06/03/07 09:05 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    man_mind Offline
    Banned

Let them hate so long as they fear.
    (Oderint Dum Metuant)
    Lucius Accius, Fragment
    (170 BC - 86 BC)

"A priest is one who harbors the ill and gives them faith because they fear death and they are weak."

#247136 - 06/05/07 08:26 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    gypsy Offline
    CoS Member

"To those who cry "Global Warming": At what temperature should the Earth's thermostat be set and where is your owner's manual?"
    Jimmy Carter

Church of Satan

#266500 - 08/22/07 10:03 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    ShadowDragon Offline

Loc: Where I have Always Been
    One of my Favorite quotes is from the game, Tenchu Wrath of Heaven.

"To light a candle, is to cast a shadow."

To Light a Candle,is to Cast a Shadow.

#266504 - 08/22/07 10:29 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Reven Offline

Loc: North Carolina
    “Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves.”-Drew Karpyshyn

Rage channeled through anger is unstoppable.

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know best how to undermine you. Tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know what I must force you to face. Tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you. And tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

"The weak are meant to serve the strong.
    The weak deserve their fate.
    There is no such thing as a noble death."-Drew Karpyshyn

#266506 - 08/22/07 10:42 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Reven]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

"Sorry for driving so close in front of you."

~bumper sticker I saw the other day

#266511 - 08/22/07 10:56 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Shade]
    Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
    HA HA nice one shade, I saw a bumper sticker today that said:

" yes this is my truck, and NO i can't help you move" I would have gotten it for my own truck if I hadn't rolled it. I have a Cooper now.. funny.. no one asks for moving help anymore

Some other quotes:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love."

Jane Austen (1775 - 1817), Northanger Abbey

#266523 - 08/22/07 11:56 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Roho_the_Rooster Offline
    CoS Warlock

I have already posted my favorite quote, from the beautiful and intelligent Jodie Foster.

The quote I now display, in my signature, is, to the best of my knowledge, original.

I have often heard the saying, "March to the beat of a diffrent drummer". Over time, I have found that this often means stop following the big herd, and find a smaller herd to follow in. Rarely do I find someone who sets their own tempo. Those who do so have my greatest respect. It was this quality, above all others, that has attracted me to the founder of our religion.

#266552 - 08/22/07 02:26 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    John.Doe Offline

Loc: Germany
    The more I read in the virtual world, the more I like this one:

If you behave like an asshole all the time, do not be surprised if people regard everything you say as shit.

(Translated from German as best as I can, but I really can't remember where I read it first.)

#266561 - 08/22/07 04:06 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: John.Doe]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Wolfsbruder

If you behave like an asshole all the time, do not be surprised if people regard everything you say as shit.

That reminds me of another great quote:

"Perhaps you might find a pearl or two, but you'll more likely be looking for the ponies who generated the manure. Cyberspace needs a clean-up squad -- but oh what a high-tech Heracles is needed for that Augean stable."

~Peter H. Gilmore, "Intellectual Black Holes" The Satanic Scriptures

#266616 - 08/22/07 09:43 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Alabastardragon Offline

Loc: MA, USA
    A couple I really like are:

"The highest courage is to dare to appear to be what one is." ~ John Lancaster Spalding

and

"One of the tortures of jealousy is that it can never turn its eyes away from the thing that pains it." - George Eliot

"The highest courage is to dare to appear to be what one is." ~ John Lancaster Spalding

#266653 - 08/23/07 04:55 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Alabastardragon]
    Fala Offline
    CoS Member

I have to say that the quote that sums up how I feel right now is this one:

“Satanism is a Pandora’s box. Once the demons are out, you can’t stuff them back inside. Once your eyes are opened to reality, they can’t be closed.”
    ~Dr. LaVey

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

#266694 - 08/23/07 10:00 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Dr. De Sade Offline

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

-Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects

#266723 - 08/23/07 12:45 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Drake_Bamboozle Offline
    CoS Reverend

Loc: England
    The Oxford Vs Cambridge boat race a few years ago.

Princess Ann was presenting the Trophy to the winning team. She presented the award and leaned in to offer a congratulatory kiss to the team coxwain.

As it happened the TV commentator reported....

"Oh, and isn't that a super gesture! The princess is kissing the cox' of the Cambridge team."

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#266806 - 08/23/07 11:54 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
    AztecRed Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
    "Kill a man . . . one is a murderer; kill a million . . . a conqueror; kill them all . . . a God." — Jean Rostand

#266845 - 08/24/07 05:15 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Fagneto Offline
    The Weakest Link

"ahh...you have a Sister!"

'Darth Vader'

Edited by Fagneto (08/24/07 05:15 AM)
    Edit Reason: Say it right and totally get women.

#266848 - 08/24/07 05:32 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    yexnip Offline
    Banned

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"
    -- (Portalbendarwinden)
    'I have been caught into the evil maelstroms of chainsmoking, the metaphoric ladder that picturize my social habits have sunk into a sea of hopeless endeavor.' Written by Espen, beginning of melancholy and the great depression.

#266958 - 08/24/07 08:36 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Fala Offline
    CoS Member

I have to take a few from two of my favorite movies. They pretty much sum up my feelings on many things. Indulge me for a moment, please.

"I know nothing of God, or the Devil. I have never seen a vision nor learned a secret that will damn or save my soul." ~Armand, Interview With the Vampire (1994)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."
    ~Dr. Hannibal Lecter, The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

#266969 - 08/24/07 09:57 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Fala]
    de gli moros Offline

"Enjoy peace as a means to new wars..." - Neitzsche

"Good guy, bad guy... I'm the guy with the gun." Army of Darkness.

"I ain't no muthafucking role model. To any kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money." - Ice Cube

#267278 - 08/26/07 01:58 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    spook show Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
    I'm a bit late getting to this thread, and I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, so sorry if anyone has already mentioned these two quotes...

"My right I have made for myself, by not what I can do, but by how important it is for others that I be resented, maligned, misunderstood and hated."

"Other men's deaths make the earth a sweeter, finer place for those who have the capacity to relish each moment spent upon it."

Both by Anton Szandor LaVey

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#369979 - 01/27/09 03:39 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: man_mind]
    Spelled Moon Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Germany
    I've seen this quotation and really liked it:

"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water and breeds reptiles of the mind." by William Blake

Edit:
    Oh and I would add this one: "There is no such thing as non-existence." ...this quite interests mind, doesn't it?

Edited by Spelled Moon (01/27/09 04:47 AM)

#369989 - 01/27/09 07:56 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
    Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve
    [color:"white"] "Why am I calling you by your first names? I don't even know you. I still call my boss "Mister", and I've been working for him for seven years, but all of a sudden I walk in here and I'm calling you Rick and Sheila like we're in some kind of AA meeting... I don't want to be your buddy, Rick. I just want some breakfast". [color:"red"] Bill Foster/Falling Down [/color]

I love that movie, Eve.
    y favorite line in it is, "Have you ever heard the saying,'The customer is always right?' Well, here I am, the customer."

#369990 - 01/27/09 08:09 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Shade]
    DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Since this thread has been "reactivated":

I like that one Shade. I had a couple on a truck I drove several years ago:

"Don't tell me what kind of day to have!" and
    "Warning: I drive like you do!"

#369992 - 01/27/09 08:53 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: DCLXVI]
    verszou Offline

Thank you for reviving this. One of my favorites is from the danish science fiction writer Erwin Neutzsky-Wulff. Although over the years I've come to disagree with him on some issues his writings had a big impact on me when I was younger. The quote is from his book "Faust", the translation is my own:

"Seek then not to be like others, for he who is like his fellow man is nothing. What use is he? But if the god has made thee unlike them, seek then to be even more unlike them, that they may come to you and ask: Do for us that which we are incapable of doing ourselves".

This is spoken by his "mad" prophet who has many similarities to Nietzsche, and I've always taken it to heart and based my personal strategy on being the one who could do what others could not.

Edited by verszou (01/27/09 08:53 AM)
    Edit Reason: Turns out there is no 't' in although

#370024 - 01/27/09 04:29 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ]
    Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
    @ Dr. de Sade: Actually I believe Baudelaire said that first.

"In a world where carpenters get resurrected, everything is possible."
    ~ Eleanor of Aquitaine, The Lion in Winter

"Did you ever notice how in the Bible, when ever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?"
    ~ Thomas Dagget, The Prophecy

"Whoever said 'laughter is the best medicine' never had gonorrhea."
    ~ Earl, My Name is Earl

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#370083 - 01/28/09 01:13 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Lilibeta]
    Zardex Offline

"In order to say "don't be evil" you must already dwell in that space of evil, and I congratulate you for it" - Slavoj Zizek

(We do not punish criminals for example, or others we judge as wrong doers, because they are evil - we both judge them evil and punish them because we claim a right to do so - and we claim this right because their actions are in discord with what we judge as good, as the best -the mightiest way- for a productive existence of our society for example.
    Thus the very judgment of good and evil is an affirmation that the mightiest authority has the right to violently abuse it's surroundings, an affirmation that might is indeed right, no matter how evil it may be.)

#370090 - 01/28/09 03:19 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Zardex]
    all hallows
    Unregistered

"life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."

#370093 - 01/28/09 03:33 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ]
    Gladius Satanas Offline

Loc: Utah, U.S.
    My sig.
    Turn the other cheek,show the world how strong you are by simply acting weak!Inherit all the world someday if you'll just be the meek,show them just how meek when you turn the other cheek! -MoralOrel

#370098 - 01/28/09 05:16 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ]
    Zardex Offline

That reminded me of another thing that someone said that I find particularly humorous about the nature of existence.
    "Future does not exist, there is only now and even that is in the past, and the past does not matter anymore."

#370107 - 01/28/09 08:39 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: verszou]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

That is a great quote, verszou!

Being the spawn of a diehard Asimov fan, I am familiar with and like this one very much (which I'll put in German because everything always looks more impressive in German): "Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."

One of my favourite movie scenes...

- Man bumps into a "lady", spilling a drink on her dress.
    - She gestures at herself: 'Who pays for this?'
    - "Who wouldn't?"

And I recently had the singular pleasure of telling a particularly handsome devil, "You remind me of a man..."

He got the reference. Devils usually do. coopdevil

#370157 - 01/28/09 04:20 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Shade]
    verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: Shade
    Being the spawn of a diehard Asimov fan, I am familiar with and like this one very much (which I'll put in German because everything always looks more impressive in German): "Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."

Since I'm next to Germany I got that one smile I seem to recall that the title was "The gods themselves" ? and that there was a plot involving time-travel? Must have been at least 25 years since I read it smile

#370174 - 01/28/09 06:02 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: verszou]
    Ice Claw Offline

CoS Member

"Pity is a depressant."

"Whoever has theological blood in his veins is shifty and dishonorable in all things. The pathetic thing that grows out of this thing is called faith."

Nietzsche - The Antichrist

#370249 - 01/29/09 09:18 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Lightswitch Offline

Loc: Adana, Turkey
    Why, the one in my signature of course. smile

#370252 - 01/29/09 09:27 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Lightswitch]
    Evil_Eve Offline
    CoS Member

Quote:
    Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind;
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    John Donne
    Meditation XVII

Quote:
    “The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us. But, we don't ask for their love; only for their fear.”

Heinrich Himmler.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
    Revered.

#370343 - 01/29/09 07:39 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Evil_Eve]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

Donne is referenced in a lot of anatomy texts which is the main reason I even recognized the name. His descriptions are impressive. I'm still partial to Richard Selzer though. His writing takes my breath away.

----

"Women are physics and chemistry. They are matter. It is their bodies that tell of the frailty of men. Men have not their cellular, enzymatic wisdom.

Man is albuminoidal, pertinacious, laked pearl; woman is yolky, ovoid, rich. Both are exuberant bloody growths.

I would use the defects and deformities of each for my sacred purpose of writing, for I know that it is the marred and scarred and faulty that are subject to grace." ~ The Exact Location of the Soul
    ----

And this is from my all-time favourite essay ever...

"Ah, but there is more to the skull than helmet to the brain, to the sternum than shield to the heart, to the ribs than staves of the thorax. The rest of flesh is transient, strung like laundry upon a lattice.

To dwell upon bone is to contemplate the fate of man. Bone is the keepsake of the earth, all that remains of a man when the rest has long since melted and seeped and crumbled away.

It endures for a million years and, if then dug up from the ground, suggests still to anthropologists the humps of meat that once it wore, and to poets the much that was from the little that remains." ~ Bone

#370382 - 01/30/09 08:29 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Zardex]
    ~suzanne~ Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
    “It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” ~ Anton LaVey

“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law” ~ Aleister Crowley

and for a long time I had these two as my absolute favorites:

“I'm not a woman, I'm a force of nature.” ~ Courtney Love

"Nobody is going to ruin me, if i have to i will ruin myself..
    and it will be 'my ruin'" ~ Tairrie B from My Ruin

#370499 - 01/31/09 09:45 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: ~suzanne~]
    TheAbysmal Offline

"I a not an apologetic person. Sorry. That's just the way I am." -Homer Simpson

Or, thereabouts.

Refuse to die.

#370501 - 01/31/09 10:06 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    JustinR Offline
    CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#370507 - 01/31/09 11:39 AM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
    “The concept of absurdity is something I'm attracted to.” - David Lynch

I had this one up for a while:

"Man isn't a noble savage, he's an ignoble savage. He is irrational, brutal, weak, silly, unable to be objective about anything where his own interests are involved—that about sums it up. I'm interested in the brutal and violent nature of man because it's a true picture of him. And any attempt to create social institutions on a false view of the nature of man is probably doomed to failure." - Stanley Kubrick

#370533 - 01/31/09 03:34 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

"Losers 'do their best' and die, while winners accomplish the task and go home alive and fuck the cheerleader." John Mason (Sean Connery) in "The Rock".

(Might be a bit of a paraphrase.)

#370709 - 02/02/09 02:10 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: DCLXVI]
    Dandy_Zak Offline

Loc: New England
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
    -Dr. Seuss

#370712 - 02/02/09 02:55 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Mythil]
    Roho_the_Rooster Offline
    CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Mythil
    Many, many people have quotations in the signatures, so, shall we share our favorite "on topic" quotes with each other?

"Get your punk asses off my grass, or I'll pump rock salt into yer keisters!!!"
    The weird guy who lives across the street

#370715 - 02/02/09 03:57 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
    Jack_Lantern Offline
    CoS Member

"For myself, I made up my mind long ago that neither an army nor a commander can avoid danger by running away. So - although an honorable death would be better than a disgraceful attempt to save our lives - our best chance of safety does in fact lie in doing our duty."

Agricola, Just before a battle at the foot of Mount Graupius, Britannia, as related by Son-in-law Tacitus

#370848 - 02/03/09 05:06 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Jack_Lantern]
    dopeoncandycanes Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
    Two of my absolute favorites are:

"Do what you can with what you've got wherever you are."
    ~ Theodore Roosevelt ~
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."
    ~ Elbert Hubbard ~

There's this funny stuff I read once in the Atheist's Bible, and had to look up again to get it right.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realized God doesn’t work that way,
    so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.
    "
    Emo Philips

And I don't know whose quote this is.
    "If you can smile when things go wrong then you have someone in mind to blame."
    ~Bernard Berenson

#370850 - 02/03/09 05:27 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: dopeoncandycanes]
    Garm Offline

Loc: Norway
    "Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
    - George Carlin

including the two in my signature.

#370865 - 02/03/09 06:45 PM Re: Your favorite quote [Re: Shade]
    Shade Offline
    CoS Witch

One of my favourite characters on CSI is Lady Heather (Mindy Clarke). She and I both like a little civility before dark.

"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater, some men are the theater."

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Forum Stats
    12221 Members
    73 Forums
    44002 Topics
    406144 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
    Advertisements