Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#222360 - 02/15/07 11:34 PM Satanic Magic
Nekrogorgasm Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi. I label myself a Satanist, as I follow the philosophies layed down in The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey...Or more so, the philosophies layed down in The Satanic Bible seem like they were written for me. I have read TSB a number of times, however I am just recently beginning to get more into the organized side of the religion...Mainly the cause of my deconversion from Xtianity...In recognition of the importance of religion in human life, and in direct opposition to Xtianity.

Now, after all that rambling, I am just curious about the Magic of Satanism.

I know that with this philosophy we can accept and deny anything we wish...

Maybe I just don't understand the Satanic Magic...But to me it seems moderately silly to put faith in a magic. I understand that it is working with energy, but all the magic talked about in TSB seems like witchcraft, and with a religion so based in skepticism, it seems strange that it dives into magic.

Maybe someone could explain to me how they can deny a divine creator, which I do, but strongly believe in magic and witchcraft, which I do not.

I know what I don't understand, but for some reason it is hard to really put into the right words.

It just seems to me that the belief in the mystical magic seems slightly rediculous when it goes beyond theatrical ritual, used as a way to keep ones mind focused.

Again, like I said, I may just not fully understand what Satanic Magic is.

Thanks to any feedback anyone can offer.

Edited by Nekrogorgasm (02/16/07 12:33 AM)

#222361 - 02/16/07 12:50 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Quote:

Maybe I just don't understand the Satanic Magic...But to me it seems moderately silly to put faith in a magic.

Then you've misunderstood the text.

Quote:

I understand that it is working with energy, but all the magic talked about in TSB seems like witchcraft, and with a religion so based in skepticism, it seems strange that it dives into magic.

Because the term "intellectual decompression" is used in the Satanic Bible, as well as a good description of how to suspend disbelief, you clearly still haven't understood the primary text, despite reading it three times.

Magic is when one enters a subjective state in order to achieve objective results. It is the externalization of your inner self ("Satan") in order to make is workable, pointful and powerful.

Sensitivity, timing, balance and practice all make up key components when performing magic.

Additionally, it's used as a stylised psychodrama which is, above all else, fun and achieves real results.

It seems to me that you haven't understood the text, haven't bothered to practice a ritual and don't seem to see why you would.

While that's perfectly fine, you're missing the point on a large chunk of what Satanism is, the active part, if you will.

Because of that, I'm nudged into thinking that Satanism isn't really for you.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

#222362 - 02/16/07 01:37 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
Mjollnir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Gone
Perhaps your question would be best answered by temporarily suspending judgement and giving it a try yourself. You don't have to believe in anything to perform rituals, though it helps if you believe in yourself and your ability to affect the world you live in.

See if you get results. If you get repeated results then you can say magic is real. It is something that you alone can figure out, by doing it rather than by thinking about doing it.

#222363 - 02/16/07 01:47 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:

I know that with this philosophy we can accept and deny anything we wish...

Actually no, Satanism does not mean "anything goes". It has dogma. The dogma however is based off something very tangible: man's carnal nature. For example, you can't call yourself a Satanist and simultaneously deny that man is an animal.

The two necessarily and sufficient components of a religion (and Satanism is indeed a religion) are dogma and ritual. Which brings us to the second part:

Quote:

Maybe I just don't understand the Satanic Magic...But to me it seems moderately silly to put faith in a magic.

I think The Satanic Bible is pretty clear about magic, how it's defined, what role it plays in the religion, and why it's there in the first place (recall a quote about how Satanism "fills the large grey void between religion and psychiatry"? Or "intellectual decompression"?)

Quote:

I understand that it is working with energy, but all the magic talked about in TSB seems like witchcraft,

What's unsatanic about witchcraft? Did you miss the fact that there's an entire book called "The Satanic Witch"? If you think it's all about burning candles of different colors and ignoring everything else in the world, you need to re-read the section on lesser magic.

Quote:

and with a religion so based in skepticism, it seems strange that it dives into magic.

I consider myself a skeptic, and additionally I have an altar set up in my bedroom. I see no hypocrisy in that. Furthermore, I don't call blindly dismissing ritualized expression (a tool almost as old as mankind itself) as comepletely useless to be an act of "skepticism". Obviously, you're not as stern about it as other people I've seen; I do give you credit for asking honestly about the topic.

Quote:

Maybe someone could explain to me how they can deny a divine creator, which I do, but strongly believe in magic and witchcraft, which I do not.

Because no deity is necessary in order to see these things as useful tool. What does deism or creationism have to do with the supernormal and unconventional tricks-of-the-trade?

Quote:

Again, like I said, I may just not fully understand what Satanic Magic is.

Is it safe to say then that you don't understand more than 40 pages of The Satanic Bible? Surely, you picked up some of the concepts in the rest of the book, right?

#222364 - 02/16/07 02:12 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"It just seems to me that the belief in the mystical magic seems slightly rediculous when it goes beyond theatrical ritual, used as a way to keep ones mind focused."

Belief in anything is ridiculous. Knowing what works and what does not, isn't.

"Again, like I said, I may just not fully understand what Satanic Magic is."

It would seem so, but you either do or you don't. I've found it to be that simple.

#222365 - 02/16/07 06:26 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
Mr Sam Offline

Loc: Somewhere in the UK.
Your insistence on calling it a philosophy rather than a religion speaks worlds about you. The magic and the aesthetic are what makes it a religion, if you reject these then it you are missing out on the best part .

#222366 - 02/16/07 06:51 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Bill_M]
Mythil Offline

Loc: UK, Portsmouth
My belief in magic comes down to it being a focus for human willpower, one of the strongest forces in the world.
On another note, I do live action role playing, where I get to run around in a field wearing a black robe and priests vestments which is a great deal of fun to me. One point about Satanic ritual that I have found, is that it isn't that different, of course, the former may look silly and the latter deadly serious, but both are quite fun to do.

#222367 - 02/16/07 07:31 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
Quote:

But to me it seems moderately silly to put faith in a magic.

I don't recall the Satanic Bible suggesting that faith is a component of Satanism. If you gain an understanding of Satanic magic and repeatedly put it to successful use , then no faith is necessary.

#222368 - 02/16/07 09:30 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Satanic magic is not mystical. Nothing spirtitual is going to jump out and change events. For instance, calling on the Infernal Names will not automatically make your worst enemy disintegrate into sand.

Understanding magic is vital to being a Satanist. Whether you use it all the time, sparingly, or not at all, it's still very important to know how it works. After that, it's up to you to apply magic.

The applications of magic is what separates Satanism from a "mere philosophy" to the Religion that it is.

#222369 - 02/16/07 11:37 AM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

I will say what I tell most people who don't understand the magical aspect of Satanism.

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Follow the 13 steps and see what happens.

Then if you wish to join the CoS, we can discuss your results downstairs...

#222370 - 02/16/07 12:58 PM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Magic does not require faith; it’s about experimenting and getting results.

There is nothing mystical about that.

I find it strange that someone could accept the philosophical aspects of Satanism, but not the ritualistic aspects. The idea of magic was appealing to me long before I ever read The Satanic Bible , and I was super excited about Dr. LaVey’s brand of magic (the only real magic, in my opinion) because it made perfect sense to me. I have experienced things in my life on many occasions which I later realized were very much related to the same magical concepts set forth in The Satanic Bible. So I was more than a little eager to give real magic a try.

I agree with what others have suggested. Try it out for your self and see what happens.

Herein you will find truth—and fantasy. Each is necessary for the other to exist; but each must be recognized for what it is .”- Anton Szandor LaVay (from The Satanic Bible)

Edited by Malathion (02/16/07 12:59 PM)

#222371 - 02/16/07 06:13 PM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: The_Sixth_Circle]
Nekrogorgasm Offline

Loc: Michigan
I can admit that I am new to the "religion" of Satanism. In the past, it was a philosophy that meshed so well with me, that I held to it...Then I found Xtianity. A year and a half of near hell. My mind was tormented, and looking back, the things I believed and tried forcing down peoples throat, were rediculous.

I think that my strong and rediculous beliefs in Xtianity that have since been destroyed and vomited upon are what keep me from being able to accept the magic side of Satanism. Someone said that if I don't understand the magical side of Satanism, then I dont understand some 40 pages of TSB. That may be true, however, I would still consider myself a Satanist because the rest of TSB, the philosophy side, speaks so loudly to me. It rests tightly hand in hand with my natural logic.

I understand the magic ritual as fun psychodram, and as a way to focus your energy towards your goals, and how keeping your energy focused on your goal can work positive... What I don't get is how it is believed that the focusing of your energy can change things to your will. Im not trying to put Satanic Magic down, or sound like I am attacking it...I am definitely not knocking it, just reaching to understand it...

#222372 - 02/16/07 06:17 PM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

just reaching to understand it...

Understanding on more than an abstract level requires application.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#222373 - 02/16/07 07:51 PM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
"What I don't get is how it is believed that the focusing of your energy can change things to your will. Im not trying to put Satanic Magic down, or sound like I am attacking it...I am definitely not knocking it, just reaching to understand it... "

People who try to understand things ask questions rather than make statements. You aren't really acting like a person who is trying to understand anything.

#222374 - 02/16/07 08:21 PM Re: Satanic Magic [Re: Nekrogorgasm]
The_Sixth_Circle Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hell; where else?
Ok, let me put it like this:

Quote:

I think that my strong and rediculous beliefs in Xtianity that have since been destroyed and vomited upon are what keep me from being able to accept the magic side of Satanism.

Two points here, sir:

1) If you consider Christianity to have anything to do with Satanism, you're mistaken. You're applying Christian doctrine to an application of Satanic magic, which means you're (perhaps subconsciously) considering those who perform magic to be "Devil Worshippers".

You're wrong.

2) There is no magic "side" to Satanism; there is one complete, fully functional and eclectic whole. One that you either resonate with, or you don't. And before you start to think that I'm closed minded and not looking at it properly, what is Satanism without magical application?

Common sense, carnality and cynicism; traits which many humans, not Satanists necessarily, share. Satanism without magic is indiscernable from atheism in most aspects and I honestly get the feeling you'd be better off in that camp.

Quote:

What I don't get is how it is believed that the focusing of your energy can change things to your will.

Because your own statement answers your question, there is no way that I can put it that will make it simpler for you. I know you mean well, but Satanism doesn't seem to be for you. And until you can understand that magic is a pivotal part of Satanism, a self transformative practice, you will never get it.

Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Sir Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements