Topic Options
#222965 - 02/20/07 06:21 AM Cultural Views?
hickeyarmy Offline

Loc: US
I have begun to seek answers to a few questions dealing with American culture, and am interested in the views of other Satanists who have opinions and/or greater knowledge and experience on the subject. My questions are as follows:
What are the most important factors that led to the current cultural experience in America today? Who are the most influential 'movers and shakers' that have designed and promoted this current culture and its values? What are the underlying flaws of this culture's perception of reality?
What conditions would be necessary for the effective replacement of the current dominant culture in the US with another dominant cultural ideal? What cultural forces, oppositional and adversarial to the current dominant culture, are in the best position and most capable of 're-design

#222966 - 02/20/07 06:51 AM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: hickeyarmy]
Lust Offline

What are the most important factors that led to the current cultural experience in America today?

I would say that radio programs, and television are early contributors.

Who are the most influential 'movers and shakers' that have designed and promoted this current culture and its values?

The cast and crew of Saturday Night Live.

What conditions would be necessary for the effective replacement of the current dominant culture in the US with another dominant cultural ideal? What cultural forces, oppositional and adversarial to the current dominant culture, are in the best position and most capable of 're-design

Pentagonal Revisionism
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#222967 - 02/20/07 10:07 AM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: Lust]
hickeyarmy Offline

What are the most important factors that led to the current cultural experience in America today?

I would say th

#222968 - 02/20/07 11:51 AM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: hickeyarmy]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Alexis de Tocqueville made some very interesting observations in Democracy in America. Although the US has had technological advances since he was around, the underlying points he wrote about still seem to ring true as people seem to still be driven by the same things.

At least in my opinion that's a good place to start.

If you have the time, try thinking about your question from the point of "what if things are as they should be?"

#222969 - 02/20/07 02:57 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: hickeyarmy]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Bringing back the Protestant Work Ethic, and a good long mild Depression would work wonders at getting us off ouf fat, flabby contented asses.

#222970 - 02/20/07 05:55 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: hickeyarmy]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
In my opinion, there is as many "cultures" as there are people.

#222971 - 02/20/07 06:41 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: hickeyarmy]
beetleguise Offline

Before answering any of these questions concerning "American culture," you need to define what exactly American culture is. Many people would argue that is there is no unverisal culture in America. Rather, the dominant culture that is pawned off as American culture is merely the product of protestant ideals that gave birth to the capitalist state we live in today. Try reading Max Weber's Protestant Ethic. Quite an insightful book. As a student of anthropology, I believe it is quite dangerous to try and narrow any of your questions down to a single idea. Culture is much more dynamic than that. I will go ahead and answer some of your questions anyways.

What are the underlying flaws of this culture's perception of reality? This question makes a few bad assumptions. First: It appears that you are viewing "American culture" as something that is stagnant, when in fact, cultures adapt to societies needs everyday. In that sense, any "underlying flaw" that may be there today, can be processed out in the future. Second: From an anthropological perspective, this question is highly biased towards your own values of what a flaw is. Stating the flaws about any culture is assuming that you are better than that culture.

What conditions would be necessary for the effective replacement of the current dominant culture in the US with another dominant cultural ideal?
In order for there to be an effective replacement of the current dominant culture in the US, there would need to be significant failure of the current cultural system and/or beliefs. This could come from outside cultural influences/invasion, internal conflict or nature diasters. It will be quite interesting to see what happens over the next 20 years as global warming starts to take its toll.

#222972 - 02/20/07 07:42 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: beetleguise]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.

#222973 - 02/20/07 09:29 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: beetleguise]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Since man made global warming is a lie and a myth propagated by the political left ie. the anti capitalist, hate America crowd you will not see any changes due to this. What we may see will be due to the propaganda and hysteria provided by the members of that wonderful new religion, Environmentalism.

Perhaps you would enjoy Dennis Avery's "Unstoppable Global Warming - Every 1500 Years".

#222974 - 02/20/07 10:18 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: Phineas]
beetleguise Offline

I believe you made assumptions concerning my beliefs on Global Warming, none of which would be relevant to this thread. What I said was
Quote:

It will be quite interesting to see what happens over the next 20 years as global warming starts to take its toll.

Meaning there is likely going to be significant environmental changes over the next 20 years which will significantly disrupt present cultural norms. Whether or not this is the result of human activity is irrelevant. I did not state any such views concerning this, merely offered the a scenario in which dominant culture ideals may be challenged and undergo a change.

#222975 - 02/20/07 10:40 PM Re: Cultural Views? [Re: beetleguise]
hickeyarmy Offline

I very much appreciate your response here. In conversations I have had with others on the questions I raised, I have began to come to a similar conclusion---the dominant culture is strong precisely because of an almost chameleonic ability to adapt and be flexible, and to present many faces before the masses---some which overlap in content and some which seem to contradict---but all of which basically remain loyal opposition rather than radical adversaries of the dominant culture. This appears to serve as a way to move men, women and children from vastly different real world experiences into accepting certain standards---such as a standard of what is beautiful, what is evil, what is the right way to behave in public, what political forces should receive mass attention and support, what is the right entertainment to enjoy and what should they use their money to purchase. The dominant cultural influencers have a capitol---Hollywood. Or to paraphrase Jon Steward, 'There are two capitals in America-one in Washington and one in Hollywood. One runs the country, and one only believes it does." There may be quite a bit of truth to this statement, it seems to me, in that the leading influencers were not elected by ballot but by the masses' partipaction in their Hollywood's cultural paradigms and by the handing over of their cold cash for doses of Hollywood's products. Does this really mean, then, that to greatly influence the American herd in general, one must get the reigns of Hollywood in his or her hands?
I am dismayed not so much with the herd (they are always goi

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43641 Topics
404162 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements