Topic Options
#231600 - 03/31/07 02:46 PM Satanic Funeral
ModernTantalus Offline

I know this subject has been touched on a few times, so I'm going to try to skip straight to the point. It's my understanding that there is a Satanic funerary rite reserved only for the priesthood. While there isn't an official rite for the rest of us Satanists, I was wondering what options were available for a Satanist when they died. I refuse to bow down to Christian mysticism during my life and I'll be damned (pardon the pun) if I allow my memory to be tarnished by a catholic funeral, which is probably what my family would have for me since I'm Italian and it would keep from rocking the boat with my more distant relatives. Is there some sort of legal means that I could put in my will to prevent this from happening or some way to have a secular wedding? Any practical advice from the Church on this matter would be well appreciated, as always.

#231601 - 03/31/07 02:55 PM Re: Satanic Funeral [Re: ModernTantalus]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...

#231602 - 03/31/07 03:07 PM Re: Satanic Funeral [Re: ModernTantalus]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

It's my understanding that there is a Satanic funerary rite reserved only for the priesthood.

It's my understanding that there will be a funeral ritual in Magus Gilmore's book.

While there isn't an official rite for the rest of us Satanists, I was wondering what options were available for a Satanist when they died.

See previous answer.

Is there some sort of legal means that I could put in my will to prevent this from happening or some way to have a secular wedding?

I'm guessing the use of the word "wedding" here was a mistake.

If you're dead, why should it matter what people do over your carcass? Funerals are for the living. If it gives your family comfort to have a Catholic Mass said in your honor, let them do so. If you have Satanist friends who want to hold some sort of Satanic ritual in your memory, let them do it. You won't be around to care one way or the other.
Prevention of Virtue

#231603 - 03/31/07 03:14 PM Re: Satanic Funeral [Re: Nemo]
ModernTantalus Offline

I will definately be purchasing the book. Thanks again.

#231604 - 03/31/07 03:20 PM Re: Satanic Funeral [Re: LKRice]
ModernTantalus Offline

You're right. That was a typo. It doesn't so much matter to me what happens after I die. My real final wishes are not legal in the United States, so some compromises must be made. My funeral does matter to me because it's a time for people to remember the deceased and reflect on who they were. If my funeral offends my Catholic family members then that's exactly how I want to be remembered. I also feel that the way we're remembered and what people think of us is our way of gaining immortality, or at least living on for awhile longer. How can I gain that if people are given a false impression of who I was and what I believed?

#231605 - 03/31/07 08:49 PM Re: Satanic Funeral [Re: ModernTantalus]
LTalionis Offline
CoS Magister

If such is your individual choice you should make sure you have a detailed will which lists your exact funeral wishes. In your will be sure to appoint an executor or executrix that you trust will carry out your wishes (although they presumedly would be bound by law to do so anyway). Also, make sure that person has a copy of your will and ideally discuss with him/her before they are appointed in the will.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

#231606 - 03/31/07 09:11 PM Re: Satanic Funeral [Re: LTalionis]
ModernTantalus Offline

Thank you. I plan on drawing up my will soon and would like to start ironing out the details and getting some feedback. Death is the closing act, so you gotta make it good!

#231607 - 04/01/07 05:58 PM Re: Death. [Re: ModernTantalus]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:

Death is the closing act, so you gotta make it good!

Actually you don't.

If you authentically assume that you will cease to exist at death then planning what will happen after you are dead at your own funeral makes no sense to me at all.

If it actually gives you pleasure to do so NOW, enjoy yourself.

However the greatest element in the denial of death is doing the Mark Twain Tom Sawyer approach of fantasizing how it will be at your own funeral.

Me? I do not plan on being there!

I hate death.

I am opposed to death.

Death is my enemy.

Just my personal opinion.

Forum Stats
13266 Members
73 Forums
44504 Topics
407676 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements