Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#23201 - 01/28/04 11:51 PM Hues of Blue
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Everyone has frustriations, peeves, and downers every so oft, all of which make up the emotional state known as "the Blues." Every has a way of dealing with the tough times. (Some more creative than others.)

I like to reflect in a nice hot bath or shower, or watch a good movie to lift my spirits. I have other less traditional methods of giving myself that little lift as well. For instance, when I'm feeling down I like to play dress-up or buy new undergarments. (Not granny panties mind you, but femme little numbers of lace and frill.) In fact, I thought of this post as I was putting away some nice lacy little odds and ends I've just purchased.

Prancing around in make-up, new body stockings and my 6in stilletos...that's what shakes my blues.

How do you shake your blues?

#23202 - 01/29/04 01:10 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
Citizen_Squish Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

Prancing around in make-up, new body stockings and my 6in stilletos...that's what shakes my blues.

How do you shake your blues?

Why, the same way of course!

Actually, if I ever feel listless, I just go out and do something. Go for a walk, work out, etc. If I go to a place where regular people hang out, my blues are typically replaced with irritation (which might be an improvement, but we're talking apples and oranges).

But yes - physical activity does the trick. Walks are good because they give me a chance to reorganize my thoughts.

#23203 - 01/29/04 01:14 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Citizen_Squish]
bahemoth Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
When I feel down i usually like to read or keep my mind busy by cleaning or doing house work. The prancing around thing seems interesting and I may have to give it a try. lol

#23204 - 01/29/04 01:31 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
I like to play GTA Vice City, or any violent video game for that matter. If it's a specific person that's getting me down, I like to imagine it's him that I'm disemboweling with a chainsaw or stabbing to death with a screwdriver.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#23205 - 01/29/04 02:10 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I try to focus my blues into my music or artwork. I don't like to let emotions go to waste. But if my mood is even to built up for that I just go buy a nice cigar and walk through a park or go to the mountains by myself.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23206 - 01/29/04 02:25 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: bahemoth]
Spitt Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
How I beat the blues depends on the time of day (and the weather). Things permitting, I usually go out on my mountain bike, either for long-distance rides (my record is 70-odd miles roundtrip and, man, did my legs hurt) or out to a few spots where I can rock-hop and otherwise abuse my cycle properly. At night or during bad weather I put on the headphones and crank up Marilyn Manson. It's not exactly relaxing, more cathartic. Nine Inch Nails is another favorite. For lingering blues, I'll draw a picture that either expresses what I feel or represents something that would cancel it: personal magic always works best.

#23207 - 01/29/04 02:33 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Spitt]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
my record is 70-odd miles roundtrip and, man, did my legs hurt

Wow. Now that is amazing.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23208 - 01/29/04 09:13 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
Swordsman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
How to shake blues?

Well, spending time with my girlfriend usually lifts my spirits greatly. Anything pleasant to look at will usually make me feel better as well (like a painting, a good movie, a forest, lakeside or a gemstone). Reading good poetry or a good book works pretty good for me as well. Just about any activity I enjoy doing can lift my spirits.

I suppose that as long as you want to feel good, it's hard being depressed.
'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity' - Bullet Tooth Tony 'when I die, I will instruct the undertakers to put a bell on my tombstone, just so I can have the pleasure of not getting up when people ring' - Dr. Mossy Lawn

#23209 - 01/29/04 10:17 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I'm suffering from a bit of the blues, I will usually sink myself into a good book or two OR play a bit of Diablo II LoD. A bit of the "hack-n-slash" always raises my spirits.

~DWK~

#23210 - 01/29/04 10:37 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

When I get the blues, I play the blues. Funny how it turned out that way.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#23211 - 01/29/04 10:53 AM Solve The Problem [Re: Scratch]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Everyone has frustriations, peeves, and downers every so oft, all of which make up the emotional state known as "the Blues." Every has a way of dealing with the tough times. (Some more creative than others.)

I wouldn't say that some are "more creative than others." Rather, I'd say that some are more focused than others.

If I have "the blues", rather than buying something new, going for a jog, or burrying my nose in a book, I try to decipher what exactly it is that's getting me down. Once you figure that out, you can take action to actually solve the problem, rather than ignore it and gloss over it with spurts of minor self gratification.

If I get "the blues" because, for example, I feel overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do in the next few days, I could do a number of things to shake those blues. I could lift weights, paint a picture, get a new tattoo I've been wanting, chum around with some friends, play with my snake, play with my other snake , etc. While any of those options might make me feel better, absolutely none of them are getting me any closer to solving my problem and extracting the source of my anxiety. If instead I had used my time and energy to charge ahead into my work I could actually get something done and come out the other end feeling 100% myself again. Then I can enjoy any of those other activities more fully because my problems won't be lurking in the shadows, waiting for me to get home after my night on the town.

Hail Satan!

#23212 - 01/29/04 11:12 AM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
If I'm feeling blue, I may cry and really dive into the emotion. In the process, I may play a violent video game, listen to sad or angry music, or rant to a friend or to my parents. I find music and ranting to be especially helpful.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#23213 - 01/29/04 12:59 PM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Scratch]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I see the blues as a perception more than emotion. If I feel down, then it's a matter of deciding whether I want to dive right in, feel the emotions in their intensity, and then come out feeling refreshed, or just ignore it. Most call that "bottling up your anger" which produces a bad ending more often than not. I say bottle away, and conserve it for a more constructive use (say a destruction ritual perhaps ), but do not let it get overfilled.

Most times though, when feeling blue, I just look at my life as an observer, realize that the things I have accomplished thus far far outweigh the feeling of depressions and the reasons I came to this point in my day, and I'll just remove the problem.

Here's to feeling better

#23214 - 01/29/04 02:56 PM Re: Hues of Blue [Re: Citizen_Squish]
Scratch Offline

Oh yeah, physical activity can definitely do the trick. It stimulates adrenaline and endorphines in the body which are good natural chemicals that make you feel good again.

#23215 - 01/29/04 03:13 PM Re: Solve The Problem [Re: Mason_Rust]
Scratch Offline

I agree. Ofcourse those activities to cheer you up won't solve your problems. Then again, a drinking cup of coffee won't make that big stack of tax forms dissappear.

Shaking the blues is just a way to put you in a good mood. That out of the way, you can get out of your slump and find the energy to do what you need to do to fix your problem.

I suppose it's a way of re-routing your energy towards something positive in your life. In a way, it's like magic, wouldn't you agree?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43643 Topics
404172 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements