Topic Options
#232116 - 04/02/07 01:17 PM Solipsism and me.
MindAmon Offline

Loc: Seattle WA
Solipsism—Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They won’t. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of “Do unto others as they do unto you.” It’s work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.

I have to admit that over the past 12 years I have "slipped into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like me".
It was not something that I intended to do "consciously" but over time I began to notice "satanic qualities" in just about everyone.
At some point in time I began appealing to there "satanic qualities" in a friendship manner. Only to ultimately allow them to release there "inner demons" so to speak. And would not judge them for whatever they happen to be able to release, Via my generosity. And no matter how much they might have in common with me or vice versa, they still ultimately offend or fuck me in one way or another.

So what I am getting at is "for personal happiness" would one just accept that almost everyone else in the world is not worth my time? or simply slip into solipsism? They seem to be more or less the same thing. Is there a happy medium? Treating people as they treat me seems a waist of energy unless there even worth dealing with.

I mean seriously where’s the medium between living in a cave and being able to tolerate things you loathe?

#232117 - 04/02/07 01:29 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: MindAmon]
Achilles Offline

No one in the world can ever be like you, since experience determines how you react to the world. No one has your experiences. You can only find similarites and parallels. If you can find some similarities in a person and it can benefit the exchange both ways, then you have something worthwhile.

#232118 - 04/02/07 01:30 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: MindAmon]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I like what was said on Roadhouse-"Be nice until it's time to not be nice."
I believe that it's important to be a gentlemen, to be civil for the most part, but to turn into a monster when the instance warrants it.
I have found that people in general are very transparent, all you have to do is pay attention.

#232119 - 04/02/07 01:34 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: DickSteele]
MindAmon Offline

Yeah I understand that, and that’s pretty much how I go about things. I guess its just all too often that I end up having to lash out. Making me debate weather dealing with others at all, besides business reasons is even worth doing.

#232120 - 04/02/07 01:52 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: DickSteele]
sub50hz Offline

Loc: Chicago
Quote:

I like what was said on Roadhouse-"Be nice until it's time to not be nice."

I am the cooler.

#232121 - 04/02/07 03:19 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: sub50hz]
MindAmon Offline

I suppose its more so a question of Solipsism vs acceptance.
I refuse to accept the things/people I cannot change.
Ill post again when I figure out what the hell I am trying to say. lol.

#232122 - 04/02/07 04:01 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: MindAmon]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
First, determine what makes another person "worth dealing with" for you. Then try to determine what makes you "worth dealing with" for them.

I recall a conversation I had with an acquaintance some time back in which the subject turned to a point on which the two of us strongly disagree. I simply told him that despite my respect and admiration of him and his accomplishments, we were at an impasse on this particular subject. The subject of the conversation then turned to just how silly it is for people to to expect those they associate with to agree with everything they say.

The danger of solipsism is not only thinking everyone already agrees with you, but thinking that they even should. Learn to abhor echo chambers and you'll already be ahead of the curve.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#232123 - 04/02/07 05:13 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: MindAmon]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
To me, solipsism is the most important of the Satanic sins to avoid. You can save yourself a lot of grief by making basic assumptions about the majority of people you will meet:

1. They're morons in at least one of life's many arenas.
2. They have little or nothing worthwhile that truly contributes to your well-being (outside of social interaction).
3. They are almost completely untrustworthy and unreliable.

That doesn't mean that you should avoid being social; We're all social creatures to some extent. If you enjoy the company of other people, then spending time with them justifies itself.

What is important is this: no matter how much you enjoy a friend's company, do NOT trust them with something important (i.e. secrets, responsibilities, etc.) if they haven't already proven their worth to you.

I read a proverb recently that said "stupid friends can be more destructive than shrewd enemies." Enemies keep you on your toes and vigilant. Friends can destroy you through good intentions (or just plain stupidity) if you let them.

The "happy medium," to me, is to find people with common interests and goals, spend time with them, and make connections to further your own interests. But remain on your guard, make no assumptions, and remember who you are (as compared to everyone else).

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#232124 - 04/02/07 08:26 PM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: DickSteele]
Dark_Librarian Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Wise words indeed...I always liked this old axiom.

"Its easier to get flies with honey than with manure"

#232126 - 04/03/07 01:52 AM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: ]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Quote:

Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of “Do unto others as they do unto you.” It’s work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you.

I'm not quite sure where you get your data from, I'm assuming its your "solipsism affliction", but I find this to be completely untrue.
Perhaps its just me, but I find that I don't fit into the above, and I AM a Satanist.

I believe that's a direct quote from the Nine Satanic Sins.

#236273 - 04/17/07 08:03 AM Re: Solipsism and me. [Re: SilverHammer]
MindAmon Offline

Originally Posted By: SilverHammer
To me, solipsism is the most important of the Satanic sins to avoid. You can save yourself a lot of grief by making basic assumptions about the majority of people you will meet:

1. They're morons in at least one of life's many arenas.
2. They have little or nothing worthwhile that truly contributes to your well-being (outside of social interaction).
3. They are almost completely untrustworthy and unreliable.

That doesn't mean that you should avoid being social; We're all social creatures to some extent. If you enjoy the company of other people, then spending time with them justifies itself.

What is important is this: no matter how much you enjoy a friend's company, do NOT trust them with something important (i.e. secrets, responsibilities, etc.) if they haven't already proven their worth to you.

I read a proverb recently that said "stupid friends can be more destructive than shrewd enemies." Enemies keep you on your toes and vigilant. Friends can destroy you through good intentions (or just plain stupidity) if you let them.

The "happy medium," to me, is to find people with common interests and goals, spend time with them, and make connections to further your own interests. But remain on your guard, make no assumptions, and remember who you are (as compared to everyone else).

I think that may be exactly what I needed to hear. My gratitude to you Silverhammer.

#236396 - 04/17/07 01:35 PM One guideline I like. [Re: MindAmon]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I find it useful to try and remember that despite appearances and protests to the contrary, everyone basically operates from selfish motives.

If I can appeal to these authentic motives I may be able to engender workable relationships.

#236811 - 04/18/07 12:10 PM Solipsism and Total environment [Re: Nemo]
MindAmon Offline

Ok now that I have evaluated my initial intention allow me to reiterate.
I suppose I should have named this thread; solipsism and total environment.

Solipsism: The belief that all reality is just one's own imagining of reality, and that one's self is the only thing that exists.

Total environment: The opportunity for anyone to live within a total environment of his or her choice, with mandatory adherence to the aesthetic and behavioral standards of same.

My problem is that as total environment is ideal for myself and many others im sure, that technology is not available in my lifetime. That being said wouldn’t solipsism naturally be the next option for such a lifestyle?
Granted it’s a very dangerous type of mentality but I would argue that taken carefully could it not be a sort of self gratifying psychosis? And how is this a bad thing when the basic idea is self gratification?

Edited by MindAmon (04/18/07 12:20 PM)

Forum Stats
13256 Members
73 Forums
44494 Topics
407577 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold