Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#23398 - 01/31/04 11:42 AM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: TrojZyr]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
All I can think of is the Monty Python sketch Mouse Problem.

... "What makes a man want to be a mouse?"
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#23399 - 01/31/04 04:44 PM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
On-point analysis, Reprobate. That was my sense too. Touch hunger and social hunger.

The lifestyle and the concept is interesting, but as I've said before, my impression of the people is that they aren't that interesting. The concept itself has the marks of Satanic potential, but it's not being utilized by Satanic people.

Edit: Saturnine reminded me of Vexen Crabtree, and I've just looked up his furry stuff. He does seem to have a good head on his shoulders--I have always enjoyed his essays, and he seems to have a logical and well-researched grasp of furrydom. But then, he's a Satanist. So, not all is lost.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#23400 - 01/31/04 04:44 PM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: Svengali]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Perhaps he wants to be eaten by a cat.

Meow.

#23401 - 01/31/04 09:38 PM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:

It'd be interesting to see just how many "Furries" out there identify with the ACTUAL characteristics of their totem animal, not the romanticised cartoon versions.

And when you find out, let me know. hehehe That WOULD be interesting.

#23402 - 02/01/04 12:15 AM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: Scratch]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Absolutely. Nature is a harsh mistress at times--hardly as cute and nice as many believe. Why, it's enough to make a Wiccan cry.

#23403 - 02/01/04 12:21 AM Further discussion [Re: TrojZyr]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

So, are you a furry? In what way? Why or why not? What aspects of furrydom--and, as we've discussed, there are many, from just being an artist or art enthusiast, to wearing the suit--do you relate to, and which do you not relate to? Which aspects are intriguing, and which are not? Why?

What of this can be integrated into Satanism or Satanic values, or your own individual Satanic practice or mindset? What can't? Why? If something can't, can a Satanic twist be applied to fix that, or not? Why?

Do you have a totem animal? What is it? What do you like about it? How do you express it, honor it, channel it, and/or learn from it? How does this relate to your Satanic practices?

Ever suffer from any form of dysmorphia? Discuss.

Have you ever emulated animalistic tendencies, a la fursuity behavior, Native American rituals, or LaVey werewolf rituals? Discuss your motives, procedure, experience and the results.

Is the fursuit and furvert trends in particular a symptom of some societal pattern(s), repression(s), gap(s), issue(s), or problem(s)?

What's the fascination with animals?

Do you think humans need to channel animal attitudes or tendencies more often? How and why?

Feel free to discuss any or all of these topics. That's why I made the thread.

#23404 - 02/01/04 03:51 AM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: TrojZyr]
Wile_E_Quixote Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Why, it's enough to make a Wiccan cry

What DOESN'T make a wiccan cry?

#23405 - 02/01/04 11:26 AM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Hmm. That's a hard one. (What is, "Eve's first words to Adam in the Garden of Eden, Alex?") You got a point thar.

#23406 - 02/01/04 05:49 PM Re: Further discussion [Re: TrojZyr]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
What's the fascination with animals?

I admire animals, especially predators, for their resilience and how they don't suffer from grand delusions of their own mortality.

Do you think humans need to channel animal attitudes or tendencies more often? How and why?

They definitly need to understand their animal instincts more. Ruthlessness and enjoyment of the fleshly world. It's important to find a good middle point of our human side and animal side. Both are equally important and need to be expressed.

Do you have a totem animal? What is it? What do you like about it? How do you express it, honor it, channel it, and/or learn from it? How does this relate to your Satanic practices?

My totem animal is the falcon. Swift, fast, silent, and very deadly. I try to incorporate the falcon's patients, swiftness, and it's ability to kill quickly. It's no fooling around attitude. They're also very beautiful and intelligent animals. I admire them for these qualities.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23407 - 02/01/04 09:43 PM Re: Further discussion [Re: Discipline]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

So, what's the best methods for channeling and realizing one's animal instincts and traits? Can this process only be productively carried out by Satanists, or can others do it as well?

#23408 - 02/02/04 03:34 AM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: Svengali]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

All I can think of is the Monty Python sketch Mouse Problem.

... "What makes a man want to be a mouse?"

I'm not sure I've seen that one however in the same vein I do find myself thinking of another sketch called "A sheep is not a creature of the air.".

#23409 - 04/13/04 07:41 PM I, Clifford.
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Hello, just wanted to reflect on an experience I had today.

This week there's a Scholastic Fair at my school. It's put on primarily for education majors, but sometimes, groups of kids stop by, and the main star attraction is Clifford.

The other day, the fellow in charge was worried because he didn't have anyone to get into the big Clifford suit for the kids the following day. I volunteered, and the rest was history.

I adored the experience. It gave me an excuse to be wacky, zany, dramatic, and gregarious. I got to engage people in hilarious ways that would normally get me punched or put away. I got hugs, high fives, pets, and waves, and lots of people posed for photos.

The range of responses I got were quite amazing. To some people, I was totally invisible, a la the Law of Invisibility---it didn't make sense for there to be a giant red dog in the room, so there wasn't one! Many people seemed embarassed or ill at ease, so they didn't WANT to acknowledge me. Other people seemed determined to show how "savvy" they were by demonstrating that they knew it was a person in a suit. Some--my favorite people---totally got into the fantasy and got a big kick out of it, even if and when they found out it was me (the meshing on the costume's eyes allowed them to see me, once they got close enough ). A lot of people moved back and forth between indulging the fantasy and addressing reality. Females were generally more receptive than males. Teenagers and younger people were usually the least receptive, and often went to great lengths to prove that they were too cool.

I was annoyed when a parent pointed out to their child that there was a person inside of the suit. Perhaps it was noticeable, but I felt it was innapropriate of them to sever the fantasy.

I may get to do it again on Thursday.

#23410 - 04/13/04 08:41 PM Re: Man is an animal... [Re: TrojZyr]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
They seem to dress and act like different animals in order to "elevate" themselves to the level of their chosen animal. This, to me, seems to have more to do with mans need to deny that we are animals as well. Most people tend to seperate themselves from the animal kingdom. "Hey you! Guy in the bird suit! You're already are an animal, you nut cake !"

I think it's more of a spiritual thing for these people. I highly doubt that they put on their costumes with the same awareness the Satanist has when performing a ritual. Plus, many of these people seem rather compulsive about their infatuation. They don't want to be like these animals. They want to be these animals.

We may identify with other animals, but we should never forget that we are human.

#23411 - 04/13/04 11:16 PM Re: I, Clifford. [Re: TrojZyr]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I had a similar experience back when I was 19. I was working at JC Penny and they needed some one to dress in a bear costume for their Christmas sale. I volunteered. It was a great experience and I noticed the same things as you did. Most of the teenagers I encountered would get all butt hurt that I would role play around them. It was very funny.

Edited by Discipline (04/14/04 03:25 PM)

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23412 - 04/14/04 10:30 AM Re: Man is an animal...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have met Vexen myself here in the UK. We discussed a number of issues, including paganism and Wicca and it's effect on the rapidly-expanding atheism in the world at present. A remarkable intellectual individual.

Hail Me!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406035 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements