Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#23479 - 07/14/04 06:09 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Euphoria Offline

Loc: 1/4 mile and 9 seconds away!
I was born........I'm going to die.

It's the part inbetween the two that's important!!

Waste it or enjoy it. I know which I'm doing!

#23480 - 07/14/04 11:29 AM Re: Thoughts about death
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Death is inevitable but it doesn't mean that I should wait on it's doorstep either. I may not be scared to die but I am certainly not fond of any pain that might preceed it.
It sounds that you didn't have any intelligent insight on the matter at hand or you would have discussed it. The shortsightedness of many here is prevailent. While any answer on death may not be reliable, it does take the fear out of oneself by discussing it. This is a similiar process to ancient man coming up with explanations on why the sun went away at night.

#23481 - 07/14/04 11:40 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: DickSteele]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Death is inevitable

Is it?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23482 - 07/14/04 11:53 AM Re: Thoughts about death
DarknessAbounds Offline

Loc: Delaware, United States.
I'd rather spend more time worrying about myself when I'm alive, as opposed to when I'm dead.

#23483 - 07/14/04 12:21 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Discipline]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

Death is inevitable

Is it?

Yes
It has been for every living thing to ever exist on earth.
It is reasonable to assume this pattern that has remained unbroken for around 4 billion years will continue.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#23484 - 07/14/04 02:07 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
Not if I have anything to say about it.
Though I probably wont. Have anything to say about it.
But still. I refuse to die. I would rather be kept alive on machines than die.
Especially if I could be kept alive in a terminator like machine, but that's just fantasy talking now.

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#23485 - 07/14/04 03:03 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Do some research on some up and coming technologies. Such as nanotechnology and then tell me what you think.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23486 - 07/14/04 10:14 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California
Well, I don't know. I think the possible pain preceding death could be endured in that your mind would be more ocupied with the thought of not thinking. I don't believe there will be anything after dying. I don't believe I'll be able to perceive, so I'm not all that worried.

As to immortality, the greeks/romans felt that the gods were jealous of us. Mortality makes every facet of life more beatiful. Because we can die, life is worth living, and makes everything worth while.

As to a set time for death; if you'd like to know yours, visit Death Clock.

List of things to do before death:
1) Accidentaly slip on banana peel
2) Slap someone so hard their neck brakes
3) Have my hands behind my back, and have to break a guy's nose with my forehead; cause he's talkin' some smack or something. Then the enemy leader with whom I emotionaly connect, but do not share political/religious ideals makes him not kick my ass, because he knows I'm a bad-ass.
4) Nonchalantly fight someone. Like it's nothing. You know, like while I'm writing a letter or something, with my right hand, and fighting ninja's with my left.

#23487 - 07/15/04 12:54 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: toad]
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
Quote:

But still. I refuse to die. I would rather be kept alive on machines than die.

hehe afraid of something?
I also dont belive that there is something after death thingie, but its worth to consider it

Yet nobody can deny that there is also something else except the physical stage about human live. I dont wish to start a new discussion, i guess anybody has its thoughts about this. Though i still wanted to say: this what comes from somewhere has to go somehwere - In our physical world it is very problematic to destroy "things" completly, any physical "thing" has also its own energy - if you try to burn paper it wont fade away - you just will change its state of being.

#23488 - 07/15/04 05:58 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Discipline]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Actually, thats right down my alley. The concept of imortallity is very real. Not just nanotech, which opens a myriad of doors, but also the relatively recently fully mapped out human genome provide great possibilities in the feild of life extention.
However, there are other considerations when dealing with the inevitability of death. I will provide just one.
Every day, there is a small, if infinitesimal chance you will meet an untimely end. The chances vary between say ..a sky-diving instructor and an accountant, but both have a real probability of meeting an end each day. now multiply that chance, even if it is .0000000001(in the case of a xenophobic shut in) by an infinite amount of time, and you have a 100% certainty of death.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#23489 - 07/15/04 09:57 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Lovebeast Offline

Loc: Texas
I think of death every day...It makes every moment more precious

#23490 - 07/16/04 12:37 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Ringu]
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California
"nobody can deny"
I deny it.

There is nothing of thought after death.
As far as things being destroyed, thought isn't physical. You're body decomposes gradually, but once you die your thouhts cease.

Edited by Jackdaw (07/16/04 04:06 PM)

#23491 - 07/16/04 09:11 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Bumbly3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Midlands UK
Ok I'll admit it. I'm scared shitless about dying! Life is the ultimate high. I've absolutely no desire to fade into oblivion or even go kicking and screaming. Yes I know that the grim repaer will place thier boney hand on my shoulder one day, but whilst I can still breath in and out I'll concentrate on that.

#23492 - 07/16/04 10:57 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
There is a definite difference between having an all out death wish and simply not worrying about it.

For example, I may not be buying every bit of safety equipment out there. I don't wear a helmet when I ride a bicycle. I don't usually carry first aid when I go out on a run. I'll smoke when I want to (what business is it of yours how much?), I'll eat my sugar, and I'll walk around outside with my hair wet.

"What? You don't have any concern for your safety! You will not live to see 35! 25!"

Maybe. I might also live to see 100, god willing and the creek don't rise.

The point I'm trying to make is that having a death wish is to go out and deliberately find situations to hurt yourself and with the full expectation to die. If you're mature enough, you can choose your own level of risk you will take.

No need to be overly dramatic.

#23493 - 07/16/04 11:34 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Bogey_Man]
DarknessAbounds Offline

Loc: Delaware, United States.
A perfect example to highlight this point: George Burns.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406355 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements