Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#23494 - 07/16/04 04:20 PM Re: Thoughts about death
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
Gee this must be my week for Dajavue. Just the other day I was talking with a friend about this same thing.

He asked me some questions that he wanted answers for and was a little shocked with my answers. The first question was "Do you ever remember not being here"? My answer was yes I do for I remember flying through a black abyss and screaming I wasn't done yet; then I was a baby. He said that most of us have lived before in past lives and those that can't answer as I have done are new comers. He then asked me if I have ever gone somewhere and swore that I have been there before even though I really hadn't? My answer to this one was yes again because when I was a 5 or 6 my family took me to Salem and when we got to the house of the seven gables all I wanted to do was see the hidden stairway. I Kept screaming it out while the tour guide was talking and my parents not knowing that there was one kept telling me to stop and told the tour guide I didn't know what I was talking about. The tour guide then told my parents to stop yelling at me and she took us to the kitchen where she opened the secret panal in the pantry and took us up the stairs. My family never questioned me again when I said that something was there that I wanted to see. Since then since I have been back there they have changed the whole house around and opened another secret stair well up. He told me that I had to have lived in that house in a past life.

I see a lot of people talking about weather they are afraid or not of dieing. Well I am not and I don't have a death wish either. When someone asks me where I will be going when I die I tell them it won't be to heaven but to the bigest party ever that is where I am going and if they want to be technical since they may know what religion I am in and believe that there is a heaven and a hell I just answer that I am going to hell at least it is warm there and I won't have to put up with any lake effect snow no more and the party will be there besides. LMAO

#23495 - 07/16/04 04:41 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: simasud666]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

My answer was yes I do for I remember flying through a black abyss and screaming I wasn't done yet; then I was a baby.

"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#23496 - 07/16/04 05:48 PM My two cents [Re: Dan_Dread]
Chaostar Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Well...I must say, I'm scared of death. No, I don't think that's right. I'm not scared of it, but I don't want to die. We live in a world of infinite possibilities, but I do believe that once we're dead, we're not conscious, at least not in a way comprehensible to us at the moment. I have come close to dying, and I never saw any light etc. Of course, I was unconscious and in a state where my intelligence, even when awake, was exceptionally low, but still. I don't like sleeping because I hate not being conscious every moment, but it's the getting to sleep I find hard; once you're out, you're out. I would imagine dying to be similar. I don't think I'd like the act of dying, and I hope when it happens it will be quick, but once I'm dead I won't have any opinions. If I do, great, but I don't think it's too likely.

#23497 - 07/16/04 09:00 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: DarknessAbounds]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
I was actually thinking of the guy when I wrote my post.

How many did he smoke? My middle-school teacher said one cigar a day. Truth? or babble?

#23498 - 07/16/04 09:09 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Bogey_Man]
DarknessAbounds Offline

Loc: Delaware, United States.
Comedian George Burns once said "I only smoke 15 cigars a day. Besides at my age I need something to hold onto or I'll fall down". In vaudeville George started to use the cigar at the age of fourteen. He used a large seven cent cigar as a prop/security blanket and because he thought it made him look more sophisticated. He admitted on the PHIL DONOHUE SHOW that at the age of eighty-eight he still smoked 10-20 cigars a day despite the fact that he had open heart surgery in 1974. The cigar is now an important part of his celebrityhood. Now while the audience laughs, he just puffs away. The cigars he smokes, however are inexpensive El Producto cigars that sell for a few dollars. He found that expensive cigars are packed too tight and tend to go out to often. So he chooses to use cheap lightly rolled cigars so that he can get more smoke per puff. If George ever received expensive cigars as gifts, he gave them away to a cigar smoking friends like Danny Thomas. On his 95th birthday celebration (televised 1991) George Burns was asked if he wanted to blow out his candles on his cake. He answered "I'm lucky if I can get my cigar into my holder!"

TRIVIA NOTE: In 1998, 85 year-old comedian Milton Berle who has chomped on a cigar since he was thirteen, lent his name to a magazine called Milton whose motto was "We drink, we smoke, we gamble."

Now that was a man who knew what he wanted.

#23499 - 07/16/04 09:12 PM Re: Thoughts about death
DancingintheDark Offline

I think that with our current technology, it is safe to say death is inevitable. People are starting to look to nanotechnology to facilitate life extension, but even the most positive estimates tell us not to expect solid results in this department for anything between 25-50 years, and beyond. Of course medicine and healthcare are improving all the time, and consequently the average age of death has increased substantially over the last century or so. Despite this solid progress, it would still take quite a quantum leap before we are talking about becoming immortal! Not that anything isn't possible in the future, however from today's perspective I think the grim reaper stands at all our shoulders, scythe extended. Whether he can be kept at bay or not indefinitely will become one of the "holy grails" of twenty first century science, of that there is no doubt.

I think we need to bear in mind too though that for every positive advance in technology, there can be a negative too. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that science could engineer something that harbours potentially devastating consequences for mankind. In fact, it already has in nuclear weapons. We have an appetite for destruction that can match any appetite for progression. In the last century we have had two world wars and numerous localized conflicts. Another world war, or even the wrong weapons or technology in the wrong hands, and the results could be disastrous for mankind. Yet if there is one thing that is predictable, it is that we will continue to have wars. So any optimism I have of beneficial scientific advances in the future are balanced against the reality of the current scope, and potential future scope of military technology, and the prospects of it being unleashed on us at some point. That is just stating the obvious dangers, of course we could also be wiped out by something entirely unsuspected. Also, at a personal level we run the risk of accidents, and contracting diseases and conditions and so on.

All that said, I generally don't think too much about death. Living is a full time job, and one that I don't want to quit just yet. I do try to look after myself, and I have always harboured a strong instinct for survival. I have plenty to occupy my mind without dwelling on the unforseen. However there is a phenomena that one often hears reported by people who faced death, that I find interesting. Not near death experiences (NDE's), but the phenomena where, when sure they were going to die, a person sees their whole life "flash before their eyes". I don't know how many times I have heard this. I find the suggestion that a lifetime of events can be relived in an instant to be one indication that time is a purely mental construct, and have sometimes wondered if this experience could be deliberately induced, perhaps under hypnosis or in a lucid dream, or a similar state of consciousness. I also can't help wondering if the "Freudian censor" would butcher it, or if it would be x-rated!

Whatever, if I ever get to see that "movie" and live to tell the tale, all I can hope to say about it is that I enjoyed it and have no regrets. My philosophy is to live every moment with awareness (then we become ever present), and to utilize whatever "time" I have constructively. Not always possible, but there ya go. It is something worth striving for anyway.

#23500 - 07/17/04 08:35 AM Re: Thoughts about death
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
"Death is like peeing in the shower- it's going to happen eventually, so why worry about it?"

-Robert Hamburger
Real Ultimate Power: The Official Ninja Book

#23501 - 07/17/04 08:45 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: London]
DarknessAbounds Offline

Loc: Delaware, United States.
This reminds me of something I was once told, however, never decided to investigate. I was told that urine has certain chemicals that breakdown and destroy the bacteria of athletes foot.

Wouldn't that be interesting if a person decided to package and advertise their urine; then it was approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

"Boom tough actin tenactin..... errrr urine."

#23502 - 07/18/04 04:20 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Joseph Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I am a Thelemite, I believe I will be reincarnated.

#23503 - 07/18/04 04:54 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Every day, there is a small, if infinitesimal chance you will meet an untimely end. The chances vary between say ..a sky-diving instructor and an accountant, but both have a real probability of meeting an end each day. now multiply that chance, even if it is .0000000001(in the case of a xenophobic shut in) by an infinite amount of time, and you have a 100% certainty of death.

Very true but one must plan for that. Such as cryonics and personal journals. Have some kind of samples of yourself.

Cloning and cryonics are very possible.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23504 - 07/18/04 04:59 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Jackdaw]
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
Then you deny it, but not out of knowledge

I didnt said that i've a proof. I consider that an after-life in which way however is possible as a ultimate end is. Thats one of the coolest things about Satanism, its non-theologic, i always found the common religions very funny. I always thought a religion has to be only the truth, nothing else it should guide you thru the life and it should work correct. Strangly Satanism is the only religion that can just accept the truth - but i loose myself, back to topic - its correct that Satanism is frown of the after-life possibility, yet nobody has neither a proof for it nor against it - but i cannot deny it because i'll keep myself to the facts and at the moment it is for me exacly as possible as the ultimate end - a sigle fact remains: we do not know

But well you're right i would wonder if there would be just "nothing" after life. Just fade away, to where? It seems unlogical because it is not a physical fact in our universe.

#23505 - 07/18/04 06:14 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Joseph]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
You can believe in whatever you want... but that doesn't mean it will happen.

I recommend you to enjoy this life all you can, don't leave anthing for the next one, just in case.

#23506 - 07/18/04 08:21 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Old_Pig]
Joseph Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I enjoy my life to the point where I dislike sleeping. I'd assume never sleep, but you can't.

I'm usually occupied doing something most of the day either online, mainly email and ebay or in reality.

I'm not certain of reincarnation but that's what I'd like to happen. Either that or a pleasant dream.

#23507 - 07/18/04 10:12 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Joseph]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I'm not certain of reincarnation but that's what I'd like to happen. Either that or a pleasant dream.

Pipe dream perhaps?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forum Stats
12024 Members
73 Forums
43832 Topics
405256 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements