Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#23419 - 01/30/04 05:33 PM Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

A couple of weeks ago a dumb person on my college course in fact most of the stupid people in the group were having a discussion about death.

I had to listen and they were saying things like whats it like to die, is it fast and other really stupid things. I would of wanted to give my thoughts on death to them but they would probably think i'm just crazy but this is my thoughts.

Death is inevitable theres no avoiding it and theres no way around it. Its just fate and every person has a set time to die. Be it when your 97 years old in an old peoples home in some town and you die of a stroke or when your in your 30's and your in a car crash or you get attacked or shot or something theres no way to avoid it even though dumb people try to avoid death you just can't. I could die tommorow but I don't care i don't fear death no matter what form it comes in, I may have a death wish but thats just my crazy point of view.

How about other people?

#23420 - 01/30/04 05:43 PM Death: Abstinence - Live: Indulgence. Questions?
Bedrosian Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Finland
dumb people try to avoid death

It's called survival, and I for one don't consider it 'dumb.'

I could die tommorow but I don't care

Well, in theory, I could die tomorrow, but I sure as Hell care about that and I will do anything to avoid it. I try to drive as safely as possible, avoid hostile situations if necessary, take care of my health and other precautions. Is that stupid?

Not fearing death, to me, is a sign of Christianity (afterlife) and/or popular herd culture (live fast, die young).

#23421 - 01/30/04 05:49 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Fearing death is natural. I'm not ashamed to say I'm afraid of it.

I fear death and I will do hatever in my power to avoid it. Of course, eventaully death will catch up with me, but until them, I'll try to enjoy life as much as I can.

#23422 - 01/30/04 05:55 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Blackheart Offline
CoS Member

Loc: England
I think I fear a painful death more than death itself. Obviously, I don't want to die because I enjoy being alive - but if I were to suddenly drop down dead, I wouldn't be around to complain about it.

I think having a death wish is slightly stupid though, because then your are actively seeking your own demise - and what Satanist wants that?

#23423 - 01/30/04 05:57 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Small minds are much distressed by little things. Great minds see them all but are not upset by them.-Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Death=Abstinence

My mind has more important thoughts and concerns

#23424 - 01/30/04 05:58 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

To be honest i'm not saying that i don't fear dying cos I do its just something i'm used to saying now having told people that i ain't worried about dieing but to blatently honest it does worry me the fact that anyone thing could kill me, only about a month or 2 ago I got very drunk on far too much alchohol (a cocktail of red wine,triple gin and triple whisky followed by two cans of strong beer) and I honestly thought I was going to die. Whenever i'am out in the dark i always look behind to see if i'm being followed I avoid cars, i smoke very rarely, i hardly ever do drugs and I try to stay fit. When I was getting over being drunk on the night whilst sleeping I knew that if I layed on my back I may not wake up, so in conclusion I fear death like I fear heights.

#23425 - 01/30/04 06:00 PM Re: Thoughts about death
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I don't fear death because I'm not going to be here when it comes. Some people don't think about it. Others try to escape it through religion. Death is something you simply have to accept. I did when I was a little kid. I think most people never accept it.

Now, I say that I have accepted death. That doesn't mean that I welcome it. I will never give death permission to take me. I love life so much I could live forever.

#23426 - 01/30/04 06:10 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: J. Hagalaz]
CPayne Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Fargo, ND.......no, it's not l...
I love life so much I could live forever.

So why don't you?

#23427 - 01/30/04 06:12 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: CPayne]
Roxxxadelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
I do plan to live forever...or die trying.

#23428 - 01/30/04 06:39 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Roxxxadelic]
RobertE Offline

Loc: Michigan
Quote:

I do plan to live forever...or die trying.

Join the club... oh wait..
There is no Hank. You are Karl. Make your own list as you see fit. Eat as many wieners as you want, any way you want, even with a large group of consenting individuals if you want! Take pride in your wiener-eating. Make up large, elaborate ceremonies revolving around the kissing of your own ass, having them photographed and videotaped by the media if possible.

#23429 - 01/30/04 07:10 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Powaqqatsi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hungary
Death is one of the biggest mysteries in existence. Dissolution is the smallest common denominator in everything which exists be it an idea, an emotion, an object or a living creature. Everything dies, as time has a linear course which cannot be affected. Yet no-one knows what it means to the "dead". All we know for sure is that we don't know anything for sure. That's why religions and gods were invented in the first place: the fear of the unknown is unbearable as nature abhors vacuum, and for some it is better to "know" a made-up explanation than to admit that there are things that we simply don't know.

LaVey wrote that it is possible to overcome death by the fulfillment of the ego. To me it isn't very clear what he meant by this thought, but I would say that at the moment of death the person with a "strong-enough" ego creates his own Total Environment "with nothing more than his carnal brain" because he refuses to give up, he wants to live to indulge his own existence, so it could be that death is just a new beginning. (Christians, bad news: you will descend to Hell, 'cause you aren't worthy and there's no salvation for you... )

Anyway, I think that it is a waste of time thinking about death, but at the same time the occasional feeling of abhorring death is a very natural phenomena -- it indicates that the person needs more interesting, satisfying experience to his life for indulge with and not to waste his life with speculating on unfruitful dilemmas. Of course it might be that someone is so interested in the almost constant thinking about death and dying (as examining a natural process) that it actually feeds his ego.

#23430 - 01/31/04 12:12 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Death is inevitable theres no avoiding it and theres no way around it

Well, thinking like that yeah you'll die sure enough. Death is nothing more than a state of mind.

#23431 - 01/31/04 12:16 AM Re: Death: Abstinence - Live: Indulgence. Questions? [Re: Bedrosian]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
What's interesting is that death-lovers may be okay with death because of the notions they have about life and death, but they still have issues about dying.

I don't know if I fear death as such, but I of course find it distasteful to the extreme, so I naturally avoid it.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#23432 - 01/31/04 05:33 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
Death is inevitable theres no avoiding it and theres no way around it. Its just fate and every person has a set time to die.

Why?

#23433 - 01/31/04 06:23 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Josephine007]
Citizen_Squish Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

Death is inevitable theres no avoiding it and theres no way around it. Its just fate and every person has a set time to die.

Why?

I think it has something to do with the fact that everyone who has ever been born (save for those who are not yet old enough to have expired) - from the beginning of time up till now - has died. It would seem that historical fact supports the notion that everyone will one day die.

However....

Given the leaps and bounds in which science is progressing - specifically in truly understanding what causes aging and how to not only arrest it, but reverse it - it is very reasonable to regard the inevitability of death as a thing of the past.

#23434 - 01/31/04 06:54 PM Re: Thoughts about death
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
Quote:

To quote Nemo: Are you sure?

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#23435 - 01/31/04 07:19 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright I think I have to explain myself.

I say I don't fear death cos it sounds good but in truth I don't want to die. I nearly died after getting overly drunk (i'm only 16).

Even though people I know say stupid stuff about dieing its just a stupid boast when someone says I'm not scared of death.

Well if someone I knew said that to me I know how I would respond "oh so you wouldn't be scared if you were attacked and beaten and tortured till you die?" I think that would get a boaster squirming.

Thats better I cleared my thoughts

#23436 - 01/31/04 07:20 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
I refuse to die, death simply is not an option.sorry!.....

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#23437 - 01/31/04 09:30 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Please edit your word before you post!
*falls back*
*legs twitches*
*recollects herself*

Anywho, to answer your question allow me to express the following:
Death doesn't scare me. While one still lives, there should be no fear of death; however, that's not to say that I would avoid being maimed at all costs. Pain is unpleasant. (That is to say, other than the occassional kinky spanking, which can be quite nice.) Pain is unpleasant, but for the most part it's bearable and can be overcome. Also, for reasons of vanity, I wouldn't enjoy the aftermath of being maimed. That being set aside, death itself does not scare me.

Some people may argue that pain IS fear of death, but I will point out that while pain is instinct controlled by the subconscious (to avoid death), fear comes from influence or conditioning. You can impale yourself one, two, three, or FIFTY times and it will always hurt, but fear can be reasoned out and overcome. (Have you ever tried reasoning with a rusty ice pick? Yeah, it doesn't work very well.)

You're right; death will come to all eventually, so what's the use in spending one's whole life in fear of it to forget the many things in life to be enjoyed? The fear of death is a waste of time.

I'll avoid death for as long as possible ofcourse. I'll avoid it to get the most out of life, but not out of fear of death. (It'll catch up with me eventually and I want to face it with a little dignity.)I'll never be the one to say, "Oh, what will happen to me after I die?"
The feast commences for a thousand or so happy worms; that's what happens after death.
WORM CHOW!

#23438 - 01/31/04 10:10 PM best cure for mortality is... [Re: Josephine007]
Shiboleth Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
...liquid nitrogen, fuck death. *puffs on cigarrette*

#23439 - 01/31/04 10:50 PM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: Shiboleth]
Citizen_Squish Offline
CoS Member

Ah, but to be cryogenically frozen, you must be dead.

The freezing preserves the body until, in theory, both a cure for your desease and a way to undo the damage done by the freezing process have been discovered. The former is likely to happen long before the latter. Even then, there is the question of whether or not a higher lifeform (with a complex brain and nervous system) could ever be "re-animated" to its former pre-death state.

All of those cryogenically frozen bodies are most assuredly dead. It's more efficient to not court death in the first place.

#23440 - 02/01/04 03:28 AM Re: Thoughts about death *DELETED*
een Offline

Loc: Australia
Post deleted by LKRice

#23441 - 02/01/04 04:26 AM A question for you.
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
What does The Satanic Bible have to say about the survival instinct?

#23442 - 02/01/04 04:31 AM Re: Fate [Re: een]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
How is a belief in "fate" different from a belief in God?

#23443 - 02/01/04 06:02 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Citizen_Squish]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I think it has something to do with the fact that everyone who has ever been born (save for those who are not yet old enough to have expired) - from the beginning of time up till now - has died. It would seem that historical fact supports the notion that everyone will one day die.

It’s this exact line of thinking that has fueled the countless religions over the years. Death like many things in life causes much anxiety, simply because science has never recorded a person’s body dying, for an extended period of time, then reanimating. Christians use the excuse that jesus is the only person to have ever come back, which helps fuel their religion. Although I could ask you, when the last time you saw jesus running around the streets and was NOT some insane guy claiming that name?

But I regress. Death, the ultimate paradigm, simply because we feel so little control over what will happen after that bridge is crossed in our lives. This is why humanity has created more flavors of religion than any other work of civilization. If you look at Star Trek you see a LOT of fiction created to enforce that fantasy. It’s the same with religions, and philosophies. People will create works of fiction which they "believe" in, in order to answer the anxiety causing problems such as death.

The truth is, you have no friggen clue what happens to you once you die. Does your conscious mind live on somehow? Does a higher-form of yourself (your spirit) go somewhere else? Do you reincarnate into some other life form? Or does this fiction called life, just take up at some other place on the DVD track?

If you think about it, it’s rather counterproductive to really worry about what death holds for you. To do so would mean you truly aren’t living in the first place.

#23444 - 02/01/04 06:45 AM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: Citizen_Squish]
Shiboleth Offline

Well if it doesn't work, it would be hard to regret no? May as well roll the dice and take the chance that it might.

#23445 - 02/01/04 06:47 AM Re: Fate [Re: Nemo]
Shiboleth Offline

fate=god=nihilism.(when you think about it)

Satanists aren't nihilists, nor are they suicidal.

#23446 - 02/01/04 07:30 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: een]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

No, it doesn't.
Go away!

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#23447 - 02/01/04 10:16 AM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: Citizen_Squish]
CPayne Offline
CoS Member

Actually, what I've learned lately is that, due to a lot of effort, scientists are now able to pretty much eliminate the damage from the freezing process, or if not completely eliminate it, reduce it to the point where it's not an issue.

Though you're right about the other.....now they just have to figure out how to revive those on ice.

#23448 - 02/01/04 04:42 PM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: CPayne]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the process called vitrification? I've heard of some freezing process that had positive results with slow freezing and reviving mice.

Edited by Spirus (02/01/04 04:43 PM)

#23449 - 02/01/04 06:37 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Powaqqatsi]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I'm actually sort of looking forward to death. Of course, I still have many things to do with my life, as I have planned to do (Cause I am a psycho perfectionist like that) But it would be really interesting to find out what death is like. I would imagine that wherever death is, there is a good number of people there too. All that knowledge floating around in a pool of forever. And from my interpritation in the SB, it looks like I will still be able move around in the material plane. Maybe it's just me. I think death will be an enjoyable experience, that is really just another facet of life. I'm content with staying alive right now though, but I plan to enjoy my death too!

#23450 - 02/01/04 06:43 PM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: Wonka]
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
well i heard from this freezing-cryo technology too, i heard that they can make it now with rats and some other animals but they dunno if they can do it with humans too. I guess you've to wait a bit until you can test it

#23451 - 02/01/04 06:49 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I'm actually sort of looking forward to death.

I look forward to living forever. Death is not some pass time event to indulge in. It should be avoided at all costs. Life is too great of an experience to just let go and ask for death to take you to that unknown, unproven kingdom come.

I seriously doubt there is some cosmic harmony where all that knowledge floating around in a pool of foreve is. I believe there is a great nothingness. And even if there were some weird sea of knowledge and all experiences float after death I really don't care to find out. I want to stay where I'm comfortable and enjoy. I know for a fact that this life is fun and good and I have no clue to what lays beyond death nor do I want to go exploring.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23452 - 02/01/04 07:09 PM Re: Death: Abstinence - Live: Indulgence. Questions? [Re: Bedrosian]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
I do not fear death, because, as someone said, I will not be there. What i do fear is the actual process of dying, after which I think I will cease to exist, other than food for worms and fertiliser. I can't think of anything more horrifying than knowing that one is about to die

#23453 - 02/01/04 07:15 PM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: Wonka]
Citizen_Squish Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the process called vitrification? I've heard of some freezing process that had positive results with slow freezing and reviving mice.

I'd be interested in knowing if these mice displayed their pre-freezing behavior patterns. For example, if they had been taught how to navigate a maze, could they still do so afterward?

#23454 - 02/01/04 07:15 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Discipline]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I should probably rephrase what I said. I want to live as long as I can, but I got to look at things realistically, death will come for me eventually. I'll fight it as much as I can, but when it does happen, I'll go into it with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Death is just a part of life, or atleast that is the way I look at it. There is far too much saying that there is atleast something after death to say that there is nothing. The idea of knowledge beyond what we know is kind of inticing from my point of view. I love absorbing knowledge, and I would love to know everything I possibly can. I'm planning to take several different college courses that are hardly related to each other by anything other than my interest in all of them.

What I guess I am trying to say is that assuming that there is something after death, I am very sure that it will be atleast a bit enjoyable, maybe not as enjoyable as living, but it will be something. maybe I'm hanging onto a fantasy, but it keeps me from trying to investigate further and waste my time on nothing but other pipe dreams. Better one than many I suppose.

#23455 - 02/01/04 07:16 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

My thoughts about Death? ...

The body dies, the Soul lives on.
If you can make an impact in life, you will live forever...

#23456 - 02/01/04 08:58 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

How eloquently put lovely lady! Might I say that I tend to agree. Which is why, death is but a state of mind

#23457 - 02/01/04 09:18 PM Cheated death
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've cheated death more than 15 times in my life. I don't see why one would tend to believe in the hogwash that "everyone has a set time to go". All that is is another pessimistic way of suffocating your life into a mediocre existence that billions of others believe in and they're just as foolish for believing such nonsense.

I've been sucker punched by death too many times and I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere soon. I don't give up easily. Why would you?

#23458 - 02/01/04 09:27 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why thank you.

#23459 - 02/01/04 09:52 PM Re: Cheated death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just how does one "cheat death" praytell? I never have understood that phrase. To me it is simply a matter of willpower and a refusal to die. I would wager, that if you have had so many close calls and survived, you are one stong willed individual. Hails to you sir!!

#23460 - 02/01/04 10:08 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
>>Death is inevitable theres no avoiding it and theres no way around it. Its just fate and every person has a set time to die.<<

Muahaha!

I desire Immortality. Be it something that lives on after my mortal coil dies, or better yet my mortal coil itself.

Hook me up for some of that Raelian-style cloning/mind transfer. I desire to be Peter Pan, forever young, never tasting death. Defiant, and proud. I desire my Never-Neverland here and NOW!

Edited by Felstorm (02/01/04 10:08 PM)

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#23461 - 02/01/04 10:10 PM Re: Cheated death
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am one very strong willed individual, I WILL NOT go until I SAY SO

#23462 - 02/01/04 10:12 PM Re: Cheated death
Anonymous
Unregistered

hehhee I like you already Sir!!

Hail Todd Pope!!

#23463 - 02/02/04 01:40 AM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: Wonka]
CPayne Offline
CoS Member

It is, indeed. If I remember correctly, vitrification is the process of slowly freezing an organism in order to minimize ice crystalization.

For more info than I could possibly give you here, I recommend checking out www.cryonics.org . Their multiple FAQ's have answers (or at least links to places you can find answers) to any questions you might have.

#23464 - 02/02/04 10:51 AM Re: best cure for mortality is... [Re: CPayne]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
Thank you for the source. I'll look into it right away.

#23465 - 02/04/04 05:13 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: CPayne]
Bastard_Child Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Montana, USA
If I am ever threatened by The Grim Reaper, I intend to go kicking and screaming like a little school girl, shrieking at the top of my lungs, "Please God! All I want is one more blow job!!!"

At least that will give the nurses in the hospital something to talk about for years afterwards.

#23466 - 02/04/04 05:40 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Bastard_Child]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

"Please God! All I want is one more blow job!!!"

The Grim Reaper and I have a deal...he gets all the blow jobs he wants.

#23467 - 02/04/04 08:18 AM Re: Cheated death
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do I fear death? Not particularly because, as many have stated, I’ll be dead..but what I do fear is finding myself in a state where I wished that I was dead. There is much to accomplish and enjoy in this life and I’d hate to imagine myself wasting a single moment on something so utterly pathetic.

The thought strikes me that we are somewhat responsible for just how long we have here. Rash actions and behaviors that certainly cause uncalculated results are, and should be, avoided. I cannot think of anyone I’ve know recently that has passed away who couldn't have done something about it...or at least made an attempt. Either the effort will bring the desired result, or it won't. Instead of the usual adage, in this instance, it could hurt not to try.

#23468 - 02/06/04 11:20 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have absolutely no regret in saying I have a great fear of death. It is this very fear that keeps me alive. Fear is a great tool, and without fear, a fool would welcome death with open arms. I, however, will meet death kicking and scratching.

#23469 - 02/06/04 12:45 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Josephine007]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

The Grim Reaper and I have a deal...he gets all the blow jobs he wants.

That has to be the best line I've ever read here.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#23470 - 02/07/04 07:09 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Svengali]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Survival IS the highest law

#23471 - 02/07/04 11:46 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Anonymous
Unregistered

You said that every person has a "set time to die". I disagree with that statement completely. To say that the date of your death is a "set time" is to propose that someone or something has predetermined the time when you will die. The only people who have a set time to die are those who commit suicide.

My point of view on death? I believe that death is the end of existence and that the spiritual realm is nonexistent. I don't worry or care about death. I heard a quote in a movie called "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". Ferris said, "Life is short, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." A lot of people agree that life is short and that it should be lived fiercely. I do agree that life is short, but I refuse to race time and try to finish my objectives before time runs out. Life will be lived on MY timetable. If that isn't good enough for anyone else, I don't care.

#23472 - 02/08/04 12:18 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Time spent considering death is time that would be better spent living.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#23473 - 02/08/04 12:21 AM Re: Thoughts about death
WvlfBlitzkrieg Offline

Loc: Dallas,Tx
I am scared as hell of dying(pun intended)..I know my body will die one day..and thats not pleasant to think about.Infact when the time comes..i hope to stay around as a ghost..its my only hope.Seems like it would be fun to spend eternity as a supreme voyeur.

#23474 - 02/08/04 12:50 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Old_Pig Offline

Time spent considering death is time that would be better spent living.

Words to live by!

#23475 - 02/08/04 02:27 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Old_Pig]
Foxred Offline

Loc: .
Our brains our stupid. Because they effectively cannot stop thinking they think of all the endless billions of
things in the world, add their own imagination, develop concepts and start brainwashing others. There you are...

#23476 - 02/08/04 04:52 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Foxred]
Dan_Dread Offline

Quote:

Our brains our stupid. Because they effectively cannot stop thinking they think of all the endless billions of
things in the world, add their own imagination, develop concepts and start brainwashing others. There you are...

Speak for yourself.
I control my thoughts, and feel no need to make anyone think as I do.
Do you engage in solopsism as a hobby or just for fun?
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#23477 - 02/08/04 05:04 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: WvlfBlitzkrieg]
Dan_Dread Offline

Quote:

I am scared as hell of dying(pun intended)..I know my body will die one day..and thats not pleasant to think about.Infact when the time comes..i hope to stay around as a ghost..its my only hope.Seems like it would be fun to spend eternity as a supreme voyeur.

"Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning."

Albert Einstein

Just some food for thought

#23478 - 02/08/04 07:42 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: WvlfBlitzkrieg]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Indeed.
I would most likely haunt my old Headmasters house, he was a complete git.

#23479 - 07/14/04 06:09 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Euphoria Offline

Loc: 1/4 mile and 9 seconds away!
I was born........I'm going to die.

It's the part inbetween the two that's important!!

Waste it or enjoy it. I know which I'm doing!

#23480 - 07/14/04 11:29 AM Re: Thoughts about death
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Death is inevitable but it doesn't mean that I should wait on it's doorstep either. I may not be scared to die but I am certainly not fond of any pain that might preceed it.
It sounds that you didn't have any intelligent insight on the matter at hand or you would have discussed it. The shortsightedness of many here is prevailent. While any answer on death may not be reliable, it does take the fear out of oneself by discussing it. This is a similiar process to ancient man coming up with explanations on why the sun went away at night.

#23481 - 07/14/04 11:40 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: DickSteele]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Death is inevitable

Is it?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23482 - 07/14/04 11:53 AM Re: Thoughts about death
DarknessAbounds Offline

Loc: Delaware, United States.
I'd rather spend more time worrying about myself when I'm alive, as opposed to when I'm dead.

#23483 - 07/14/04 12:21 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Discipline]
Dan_Dread Offline

Quote:

Death is inevitable

Is it?

Yes
It has been for every living thing to ever exist on earth.
It is reasonable to assume this pattern that has remained unbroken for around 4 billion years will continue.

#23484 - 07/14/04 02:07 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
Not if I have anything to say about it.
Though I probably wont. Have anything to say about it.
But still. I refuse to die. I would rather be kept alive on machines than die.
Especially if I could be kept alive in a terminator like machine, but that's just fantasy talking now.

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#23485 - 07/14/04 03:03 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Do some research on some up and coming technologies. Such as nanotechnology and then tell me what you think.

#23486 - 07/14/04 10:14 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California
Well, I don't know. I think the possible pain preceding death could be endured in that your mind would be more ocupied with the thought of not thinking. I don't believe there will be anything after dying. I don't believe I'll be able to perceive, so I'm not all that worried.

As to immortality, the greeks/romans felt that the gods were jealous of us. Mortality makes every facet of life more beatiful. Because we can die, life is worth living, and makes everything worth while.

As to a set time for death; if you'd like to know yours, visit Death Clock.

List of things to do before death:
1) Accidentaly slip on banana peel
2) Slap someone so hard their neck brakes
3) Have my hands behind my back, and have to break a guy's nose with my forehead; cause he's talkin' some smack or something. Then the enemy leader with whom I emotionaly connect, but do not share political/religious ideals makes him not kick my ass, because he knows I'm a bad-ass.
4) Nonchalantly fight someone. Like it's nothing. You know, like while I'm writing a letter or something, with my right hand, and fighting ninja's with my left.

#23487 - 07/15/04 12:54 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: toad]
Ringu Offline

Quote:

But still. I refuse to die. I would rather be kept alive on machines than die.

hehe afraid of something?
I also dont belive that there is something after death thingie, but its worth to consider it

Yet nobody can deny that there is also something else except the physical stage about human live. I dont wish to start a new discussion, i guess anybody has its thoughts about this. Though i still wanted to say: this what comes from somewhere has to go somehwere - In our physical world it is very problematic to destroy "things" completly, any physical "thing" has also its own energy - if you try to burn paper it wont fade away - you just will change its state of being.

#23488 - 07/15/04 05:58 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Discipline]
Dan_Dread Offline

Actually, thats right down my alley. The concept of imortallity is very real. Not just nanotech, which opens a myriad of doors, but also the relatively recently fully mapped out human genome provide great possibilities in the feild of life extention.
However, there are other considerations when dealing with the inevitability of death. I will provide just one.
Every day, there is a small, if infinitesimal chance you will meet an untimely end. The chances vary between say ..a sky-diving instructor and an accountant, but both have a real probability of meeting an end each day. now multiply that chance, even if it is .0000000001(in the case of a xenophobic shut in) by an infinite amount of time, and you have a 100% certainty of death.

#23489 - 07/15/04 09:57 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Lovebeast Offline

Loc: Texas
I think of death every day...It makes every moment more precious

#23490 - 07/16/04 12:37 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Ringu]
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California
"nobody can deny"
I deny it.

There is nothing of thought after death.
As far as things being destroyed, thought isn't physical. You're body decomposes gradually, but once you die your thouhts cease.

Edited by Jackdaw (07/16/04 04:06 PM)

#23491 - 07/16/04 09:11 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Bumbly3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Midlands UK
Ok I'll admit it. I'm scared shitless about dying! Life is the ultimate high. I've absolutely no desire to fade into oblivion or even go kicking and screaming. Yes I know that the grim repaer will place thier boney hand on my shoulder one day, but whilst I can still breath in and out I'll concentrate on that.

#23492 - 07/16/04 10:57 AM Re: Thoughts about death
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
There is a definite difference between having an all out death wish and simply not worrying about it.

For example, I may not be buying every bit of safety equipment out there. I don't wear a helmet when I ride a bicycle. I don't usually carry first aid when I go out on a run. I'll smoke when I want to (what business is it of yours how much?), I'll eat my sugar, and I'll walk around outside with my hair wet.

"What? You don't have any concern for your safety! You will not live to see 35! 25!"

Maybe. I might also live to see 100, god willing and the creek don't rise.

The point I'm trying to make is that having a death wish is to go out and deliberately find situations to hurt yourself and with the full expectation to die. If you're mature enough, you can choose your own level of risk you will take.

No need to be overly dramatic.

#23493 - 07/16/04 11:34 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Bogey_Man]
DarknessAbounds Offline

A perfect example to highlight this point: George Burns.

#23494 - 07/16/04 04:20 PM Re: Thoughts about death
simasud666 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New York, USA
Gee this must be my week for Dajavue. Just the other day I was talking with a friend about this same thing.

He asked me some questions that he wanted answers for and was a little shocked with my answers. The first question was "Do you ever remember not being here"? My answer was yes I do for I remember flying through a black abyss and screaming I wasn't done yet; then I was a baby. He said that most of us have lived before in past lives and those that can't answer as I have done are new comers. He then asked me if I have ever gone somewhere and swore that I have been there before even though I really hadn't? My answer to this one was yes again because when I was a 5 or 6 my family took me to Salem and when we got to the house of the seven gables all I wanted to do was see the hidden stairway. I Kept screaming it out while the tour guide was talking and my parents not knowing that there was one kept telling me to stop and told the tour guide I didn't know what I was talking about. The tour guide then told my parents to stop yelling at me and she took us to the kitchen where she opened the secret panal in the pantry and took us up the stairs. My family never questioned me again when I said that something was there that I wanted to see. Since then since I have been back there they have changed the whole house around and opened another secret stair well up. He told me that I had to have lived in that house in a past life.

I see a lot of people talking about weather they are afraid or not of dieing. Well I am not and I don't have a death wish either. When someone asks me where I will be going when I die I tell them it won't be to heaven but to the bigest party ever that is where I am going and if they want to be technical since they may know what religion I am in and believe that there is a heaven and a hell I just answer that I am going to hell at least it is warm there and I won't have to put up with any lake effect snow no more and the party will be there besides. LMAO

#23495 - 07/16/04 04:41 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: simasud666]
Dan_Dread Offline

Quote:

My answer was yes I do for I remember flying through a black abyss and screaming I wasn't done yet; then I was a baby.

#23496 - 07/16/04 05:48 PM My two cents [Re: Dan_Dread]
Chaostar Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Well...I must say, I'm scared of death. No, I don't think that's right. I'm not scared of it, but I don't want to die. We live in a world of infinite possibilities, but I do believe that once we're dead, we're not conscious, at least not in a way comprehensible to us at the moment. I have come close to dying, and I never saw any light etc. Of course, I was unconscious and in a state where my intelligence, even when awake, was exceptionally low, but still. I don't like sleeping because I hate not being conscious every moment, but it's the getting to sleep I find hard; once you're out, you're out. I would imagine dying to be similar. I don't think I'd like the act of dying, and I hope when it happens it will be quick, but once I'm dead I won't have any opinions. If I do, great, but I don't think it's too likely.

#23497 - 07/16/04 09:00 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: DarknessAbounds]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
I was actually thinking of the guy when I wrote my post.

How many did he smoke? My middle-school teacher said one cigar a day. Truth? or babble?

#23498 - 07/16/04 09:09 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Bogey_Man]
DarknessAbounds Offline

Comedian George Burns once said "I only smoke 15 cigars a day. Besides at my age I need something to hold onto or I'll fall down". In vaudeville George started to use the cigar at the age of fourteen. He used a large seven cent cigar as a prop/security blanket and because he thought it made him look more sophisticated. He admitted on the PHIL DONOHUE SHOW that at the age of eighty-eight he still smoked 10-20 cigars a day despite the fact that he had open heart surgery in 1974. The cigar is now an important part of his celebrityhood. Now while the audience laughs, he just puffs away. The cigars he smokes, however are inexpensive El Producto cigars that sell for a few dollars. He found that expensive cigars are packed too tight and tend to go out to often. So he chooses to use cheap lightly rolled cigars so that he can get more smoke per puff. If George ever received expensive cigars as gifts, he gave them away to a cigar smoking friends like Danny Thomas. On his 95th birthday celebration (televised 1991) George Burns was asked if he wanted to blow out his candles on his cake. He answered "I'm lucky if I can get my cigar into my holder!"

TRIVIA NOTE: In 1998, 85 year-old comedian Milton Berle who has chomped on a cigar since he was thirteen, lent his name to a magazine called Milton whose motto was "We drink, we smoke, we gamble."

Now that was a man who knew what he wanted.

#23499 - 07/16/04 09:12 PM Re: Thoughts about death
DancingintheDark Offline

I think that with our current technology, it is safe to say death is inevitable. People are starting to look to nanotechnology to facilitate life extension, but even the most positive estimates tell us not to expect solid results in this department for anything between 25-50 years, and beyond. Of course medicine and healthcare are improving all the time, and consequently the average age of death has increased substantially over the last century or so. Despite this solid progress, it would still take quite a quantum leap before we are talking about becoming immortal! Not that anything isn't possible in the future, however from today's perspective I think the grim reaper stands at all our shoulders, scythe extended. Whether he can be kept at bay or not indefinitely will become one of the "holy grails" of twenty first century science, of that there is no doubt.

I think we need to bear in mind too though that for every positive advance in technology, there can be a negative too. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that science could engineer something that harbours potentially devastating consequences for mankind. In fact, it already has in nuclear weapons. We have an appetite for destruction that can match any appetite for progression. In the last century we have had two world wars and numerous localized conflicts. Another world war, or even the wrong weapons or technology in the wrong hands, and the results could be disastrous for mankind. Yet if there is one thing that is predictable, it is that we will continue to have wars. So any optimism I have of beneficial scientific advances in the future are balanced against the reality of the current scope, and potential future scope of military technology, and the prospects of it being unleashed on us at some point. That is just stating the obvious dangers, of course we could also be wiped out by something entirely unsuspected. Also, at a personal level we run the risk of accidents, and contracting diseases and conditions and so on.

All that said, I generally don't think too much about death. Living is a full time job, and one that I don't want to quit just yet. I do try to look after myself, and I have always harboured a strong instinct for survival. I have plenty to occupy my mind without dwelling on the unforseen. However there is a phenomena that one often hears reported by people who faced death, that I find interesting. Not near death experiences (NDE's), but the phenomena where, when sure they were going to die, a person sees their whole life "flash before their eyes". I don't know how many times I have heard this. I find the suggestion that a lifetime of events can be relived in an instant to be one indication that time is a purely mental construct, and have sometimes wondered if this experience could be deliberately induced, perhaps under hypnosis or in a lucid dream, or a similar state of consciousness. I also can't help wondering if the "Freudian censor" would butcher it, or if it would be x-rated!

Whatever, if I ever get to see that "movie" and live to tell the tale, all I can hope to say about it is that I enjoyed it and have no regrets. My philosophy is to live every moment with awareness (then we become ever present), and to utilize whatever "time" I have constructively. Not always possible, but there ya go. It is something worth striving for anyway.

#23500 - 07/17/04 08:35 AM Re: Thoughts about death
London Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Inmost Dens
"Death is like peeing in the shower- it's going to happen eventually, so why worry about it?"

-Robert Hamburger
Real Ultimate Power: The Official Ninja Book

#23501 - 07/17/04 08:45 AM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: London]
DarknessAbounds Offline

This reminds me of something I was once told, however, never decided to investigate. I was told that urine has certain chemicals that breakdown and destroy the bacteria of athletes foot.

Wouldn't that be interesting if a person decided to package and advertise their urine; then it was approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

"Boom tough actin tenactin..... errrr urine."

#23502 - 07/18/04 04:20 PM Re: Thoughts about death
Joseph Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I am a Thelemite, I believe I will be reincarnated.

#23503 - 07/18/04 04:54 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Dan_Dread]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Every day, there is a small, if infinitesimal chance you will meet an untimely end. The chances vary between say ..a sky-diving instructor and an accountant, but both have a real probability of meeting an end each day. now multiply that chance, even if it is .0000000001(in the case of a xenophobic shut in) by an infinite amount of time, and you have a 100% certainty of death.

Very true but one must plan for that. Such as cryonics and personal journals. Have some kind of samples of yourself.

Cloning and cryonics are very possible.

#23504 - 07/18/04 04:59 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Jackdaw]
Ringu Offline

Then you deny it, but not out of knowledge

I didnt said that i've a proof. I consider that an after-life in which way however is possible as a ultimate end is. Thats one of the coolest things about Satanism, its non-theologic, i always found the common religions very funny. I always thought a religion has to be only the truth, nothing else it should guide you thru the life and it should work correct. Strangly Satanism is the only religion that can just accept the truth - but i loose myself, back to topic - its correct that Satanism is frown of the after-life possibility, yet nobody has neither a proof for it nor against it - but i cannot deny it because i'll keep myself to the facts and at the moment it is for me exacly as possible as the ultimate end - a sigle fact remains: we do not know

But well you're right i would wonder if there would be just "nothing" after life. Just fade away, to where? It seems unlogical because it is not a physical fact in our universe.

#23505 - 07/18/04 06:14 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Joseph]
Old_Pig Offline

You can believe in whatever you want... but that doesn't mean it will happen.

I recommend you to enjoy this life all you can, don't leave anthing for the next one, just in case.

#23506 - 07/18/04 08:21 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Old_Pig]
Joseph Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I enjoy my life to the point where I dislike sleeping. I'd assume never sleep, but you can't.

I'm usually occupied doing something most of the day either online, mainly email and ebay or in reality.

I'm not certain of reincarnation but that's what I'd like to happen. Either that or a pleasant dream.

#23507 - 07/18/04 10:12 PM Re: Thoughts about death [Re: Joseph]
Old_Pig Offline

I'm not certain of reincarnation but that's what I'd like to happen. Either that or a pleasant dream.

Pipe dream perhaps?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406073 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements