Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23533 - 01/30/04 11:18 PM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft [Re: MagisterParadise]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apparently Crowley contributed nothing.

#23534 - 01/30/04 11:20 PM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're writing a book? What is your "idealogy" when it comes to writers in relation to syntax, spelling, and grammar?

#23535 - 01/30/04 11:41 PM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft ???
Citizen_Parker Offline
CoS Member

It seems to me that you might have a difficult time writing such a book, if only because the Satanic standpoint is fairly simple (as I'm sure you've noticed from the other replies).

You would probably have to resort to many sources outside the Church of Satan to find enough varied material and ideas to warrant an entire book. This is undesirable, as the vast majority of these other sources intentionally misinterpret Satanism to best fit into their way of reasoning, resulting in more or less invalid discussion.

Overall, I believe the book you are attempting to compile has already been written. Might I suggest you pick up Blanche Barton's The Church of Satan. Re-reading The Satanic Bible a few times wouldn't hurt, either.

Parker

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#23536 - 01/31/04 02:00 AM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft
Shiboleth Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
There was nothing to contribute to when Crowley was stationed here on the Plane of Discs.

#23537 - 01/31/04 03:32 AM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft ???
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

When did you start writing your new book about Satanism, and what prompted you to write it?

#23538 - 01/31/04 07:39 AM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft ???
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
If you want to write a book, which I assume will be a non-fictional one, you have first to learn to discern between fiction and reality.

The Crowley-Lovecraft connetion is one of the older pieces of bullshit circulating around the Internet. The “Necronomicon” is a fictional book that has never existed. So Crowley couldn’t develop his magic system from an inexistent book.

And Doctor LaVey definitely didn’t base his on Crowley’s work. (There is little that can be used out of Crowley’s drug induced babbling anyway…) Read his books and you will draw your own conclusions.

#23539 - 01/31/04 01:54 PM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft ???
NaamahPink Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Kentucky
First, what makes you think that we want to help you in your research? You proclaim you have written two books previously, but fail to give the titles of these books. When did they get published, who is the audience, and how widely distributed are these works?

Obviously, if your prior writings are rubbish Satanists would have no interest in aiding you write a lousy or slanderous book about the religion to which the members of this message board subscribe. Credentials mean something in the real world, and that includes Satanists!

Secondly, you are a Humanist writing a book that compares Satanism and Humanism. Does that sound objective to you? It is improbable that your book will be objective or accurate, since one can only presume that your book will slanted to your views.

The grand summary is that you are coming onto a message board and asking us as Satanists to donate our time to help you with your research without providing credentials in order to write a book that supports your opinion that Humanism is superior to Satanism. Is that about right? Have you ever considered that such a book has no to little audience?

There are two markets for books on the topic of Satanism that are regularly supported. Books by fundamentalist Christians that portray an alarmist view about Satanism, often in the under the guise of "true crime" books that have a lot of innuendo, myth, and no facts. The second market is books about Satanism by Satanist who are accomplished, for which Satanists are the audience. What is your audience? Perhaps Humanists in need of justification as to why they are "right" about the world around them!

My suggestion to you is to rethink if this is even a worthwhile project, which I doubt. If you really want a good objective view, which is doubtful, I would suggest contacting the CoS, and fully explaining your intentions. Then, if they feel that your project is objective and constructive to the goals of the CoS, they can put you in touch with the appropriate people, namely agents and hierarchy who are willing to aid you in your endeavors. If you are not looking for objective information, then please leave this message board and the CoS alone, and base your alarmist pro-Humanist writing on propaganda, as that is after all what the public enjoys most.

Also, keep these things in mind. Only people appointed by the CoS can officially speak for the CoS, namely agents and the hierarchy of the CoS (Note: I am not amongst these people). Secondly, the Church of Satanism IS Satanism, and failure to understand this in your choice of sources will be doing your reputation a great disservice.

#23540 - 01/31/04 03:03 PM Re: LaVey (influenced by) Crowley (influenced by) Lovecraft ???
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 115°49'00"W 37°14'00"N
Quote:

outside of the USA, "satanists" and "humanists" and "laveyans" are often not taken serously.

"Lack of Perspective" is a Satanic sin, declared as such by LaVey. So is "Solipsism".

I realize that many people do not take Satanists seriously. If you are referring to those people whom choose to dismiss us, and are implying that we should be aware of it, we are. I didn't read your original statement as an insult, but I've learned that if you are going to speak phenomenologically, you need to clarify your statement as such, otherwise you'll be misinterpreted.

On humanism:

Humanism involves entirely too many excuses and rationalizations for the mistakes that humans make. It expects sympathy and courtesty where it is not deserved. Satanism is "brutal". It means that each person is responsible for ALL of their actions. The "assumption", if you will, is that the individual is supposed to be in control of their own lives, and therefore we do not constantly excuse others for making mistakes. You own up to your mistakes, deal with it, and suffer the consequences in Satanism. In humanism, from my perception, there is a constant expectation of pity and tolerance that Satanists do not have. To me, excusing everyone every time they make a mistake, or giving credibility to every "special" circumstance is like living in a society of handicapped people or even people who want to be handicapped when they are not, physically. Satanists are opposed to that kind of human vulnerability and weakness. We make mistakes just like anyone else, but the difference is in how we are expected to be accountable for those mistakes. There is no reason for saying "3 strikes and you're out", only to evolve into "4 strikes", then "5". Bullshit. You made a mistake once, you pay for it once. You stand on your own ground and live to the best of your ability without being an annoyance to others, or being dependent on others sympathies and pity. That's Satanism. Humanism is different. We ARE NOT "allies" in the sense of friendship or "truce". We are "allies" only in the sense of rational toleration for other people's choices. That's the most you'll get from Satanists.

#23541 - 01/31/04 03:34 PM A "nice" response
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 115°49'00"W 37°14'00"N
I'll tell you this much:

You're profile reads "beginner". This means that you've come onto the messageboard without knowing much. I, for one, don't get pissed off just because you don't understand Satanism fully and completely. There are rules on this board that you have to have a preliminary understanding of the Satanic Bible before you start talking, but since I am not one who bases my reactions from what the rules say, I'll give you a one time chance to learn something. If your profile said, "Satanic Master" I would have to serve you your due punishment.

However, regardless of how you get your information, we often take offense at books that want to sort of unite all opinions into one, or share "both sides", blah blah blah. The reason we take offense is because these literary works rarely give a fair chance to Satanism and tend to minimize the whole picture, manipulate words inaccurately, and render false representations, which are all very discouraging. One of the quirks about Satanism is that you have to be a Satanist in order to understand it. If you understand Satanism perfectly and can reiterate it, then you're most likely a Satanist. Therefore, a humanist writing about Satanism is nine times out of ten going to put more trash into the public eye. We don't really want that. No information is better than crappy information. Plus anything that sites the Church of Satan specifically should pass through administration before being published.

I wouldn't mind seeing a book like you're describing, (I'd probably glance through the one pertinent page if I found it on the shelf) so long as there is a good accurate amount of information about Satanism in it, and that it recognizes the very essence of the word "Satan": the accuser - the opposer, etc. We are vehemenently opposed to most other religions and philosophies, and revel in the importance of playing the role of rebellious, self-interested catalysts towards change and individuality in society.

I hope that satisfies your expectations of kindness, but next time, this isn't a group hug ceremony. You're going to have to think harder and play smarter, and stop being such a flower child if you want to hang around here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements