Hi all,

What's a satanists veiw of charity?

#23755 - 02/01/04 10:14 AM Re: Charity
Citizen_Squish Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Quote:

What's a satanists veiw of charity?

Volunteer work can be a very meaningful activity - as long as you never feel you are wasting your efforts on ingrates.

If it feels good, do it.

#23756 - 02/01/04 10:16 AM Re: Charity
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Depends on the "charity".

For example, you'll never see me supporting a Christian-based fund to raise money to "feed hungry orphans" while simultaneously doing missionary work to convert them.

On the other hand, I've made donations to the Fraternal Order of Police for the last two years, and the Paralyzed Veterans Fund this year.

If I think something deserves my support, and it will not hurt my own finances to help it, I just may do so. These are two organizations that do work that I have personal reasons for supporting; hence my "donation."

#23757 - 02/01/04 10:21 AM Re: Charity
Blackheart Offline
CoS Member

Loc: England
I give to charity, but only in a very selfish way (wait - it does make sense!). I give money to charities which might ultimately benefit me - like Cancer Research, or the British Heart Foundation.

I don't give money to help people in the third world or things like that, not because I don't sympathise, but simply because there are things closer to home which need my attention and cash. I can't bleed for everyone in the world, and I have no intention of doing so. Anyway, countries should really be able to sort their own economies out without outside help.

I think a lot of people give to charities just to show of their goodguy badges, so actually I'm fairly suspicious of people that regularly give money to any charity that comes along and make a big show of it. It just seems foolish to waste your money in that way.

Edited by evilbunny (02/01/04 10:30 AM)

#23758 - 02/01/04 10:30 AM Re: Charity
sCara Offline

My evening job is working with adults that are developementally disabled. Most have Alzheimer's/Dementia on top of their respective congenital conditions. It can be tough, but for me it is rewarding. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

So, one way to look at it is that I get paid to do charity/volunteer-type work.

Charity as in me giving my money to an organization: Bat Conservation International and the Humane Society, that's about the extent of it for me right now.

#23759 - 02/01/04 10:36 AM Re: Charity
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

If it gives you pleasure to give to a charity then it is just another indulgence.

If it does not give you pleasure, or serve some other useful purpose to you, then don't do it.

It is just that simple.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

#23760 - 02/01/04 10:39 AM Re: Charity
Wile_E_Quixote Offline
CoS Member

I really don't like the term charity and all the "good-guy" connotations that come with it. If I give money to a "cause" then it must be something that I think will improve some part of my life, either directly or indirectly. In each case I refer to what I am giving as a gift.

#23761 - 02/01/04 10:42 AM Re: Charity
Bumbly3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Midlands UK
I would say that it's up to each Satanist if they wish to either donate to charity or do charitable actions. The two charities I have and will continue to donate to are:
National Autistic Society.
The Alzheimer's Society.

Both for personal reasons.

I have also in the past been one of those tin rattlers for the R.N.L.I. (Royal National Lifeboat Institution). Though most of my work entailed going round the pubs and not standing shivering on street corners.

#23762 - 02/01/04 01:34 PM Re: Charity [Re: Citizen_Squish]
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, what "Citizen_Squish" said.

If you're doing it because you want to and not because you feel like you have to because of sociey's pressures, do it. If you don't want to do it, don't bother cos it'll probably wind up being a half-assed effort and no self-respecting Satanist would do something half-assed unless he had a real good reason.

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

“One of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.”
- Zack de la Rocha

#23763 - 02/01/04 01:48 PM Re: Charity
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I signed to donate my organs after I die. I guess that can be considered a form of charity.

Also its a way of surviving death... at least as spare parts!

#23764 - 02/01/04 02:55 PM Re: Charity
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
As in giving to the poor or just giving to anyone? I guess I give to those I feel are diserving of a gift. I don't think I'd call that charity though.

I'm not going to feed someone elses kids. I think that it is sad that so many children do without but I don't feel like I have any responsibility to saving them. I don't think any of my money would make it to these families anyway. With all the millions of dollars that have been donated to these charities, why are these people still hungry? Someone is eating off of it and it isn't the poor.

#23765 - 02/01/04 05:36 PM Re: Charity [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Old_Pig Offline

Someone is eating off of it and it isn't the poor.

Yes, the poor eat it. The problem is the more you feed them, the more they reproduce...

#23766 - 02/01/04 07:48 PM Re: Charity
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
If you enjoy doing it and you gain emotional and other benefits from doing it, by all means, proceed. Some individuals are more charitable than others, and just like it would be unnatural for the uncharitable person to force themselves to be otherwise, so too would it be unnatural for a charitable sort to force themselves to act uncharitable just to seem "properly selfish."

If you do not authentically enjoy it, do not do it. Do not act charitable out of guilt or out of a need to polish your goodguy badge, and do not act charitable if it pains or inconveniences you greatly to do so.

Also, beware of being charitable towards ingrates, leeches, and psychic vampires, or that mistake and that waste of energy may come back to haunt you, one way or another. Furthermore, you should always consider whether your form of charity is helping the problem you wish to solve and filling the gaps you wish to fill, or if it's just putting a band-aid over the problem, or even making it worse! Use your energy wisely.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#23767 - 02/01/04 08:00 PM Re: Charity [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I'm not going to feed someone elses kids

How do you manage to escape paying taxes?

#23768 - 02/01/04 09:21 PM Re: Charity [Re: J. Hagalaz]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Allow me to play devil's advocate and present a different view.

Perhaps other people--like children--are not your responsibility, but perhaps paying for them to access resources or contributing to their welfare is within your best self-interests, in a broader long-term sense. There is a larger picture that one can still consider.

For instance, if people lack resources, they may take that out on the rest of us or behave in such a way that impedes our progress.

Or, if you remove or block their resources, they may similarly attempt to sabotage your resources.

If you give them resources, they may turn around and benefit you and make your own goals easier to accomplish.

Bigger pictures.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#23769 - 02/01/04 10:15 PM Re: Charity
Kurgan Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Land of the Midnight Sun
On a more practical level, if you decide to donate to a particular charity it would be a good idea to first look up its evaluation report on the Better Business Bureau website (clicking on "Charities" will link to an alphabetical listing of organizations). Information on each charity includes its purpose, methods, spending practices, evaluation conclusions, etc. It's useful if you have doubts about how you think your donations are going to be put to use.

As a humorous (and telling) sidenote, the report for Benny Hinn Ministries states, "Despite written BBB Wise Giving Alliance requests in the past year, this organization has not provided current information about its finances, programs and governance." Draw your own conclusions.

#23770 - 02/01/04 10:29 PM Re: Charity
Anonymous
Unregistered

The word "charity" according to dictionary.com has the following meanings:

1.Provision of help or relief to the poor; almsgiving.
2.Something given to help the needy; alms.
3.An institution, organization, or fund established to help the needy.
4.Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity.
5.Indulgence or forbearance in judging others. See Synonyms at mercy.
6.often Charity Christianity. The theological virtue defined as love directed first toward God but also toward oneself and one's neighbors as objects of God's love.

Satanic Statement No:4 tells us:
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates.

#23771 - 02/01/04 10:53 PM Re: Charity
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Haysville, KS.
In this Satanist's (it's a proper noun, sweety, use the shift key once in a while) opinion:

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME!

Spank you, come again!

#23772 - 02/02/04 02:00 AM Re: Charity
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
I see nothing wrong with the concept of charity in context.

I often donate my used clothing to the local charity. Old blankets or coats or even appliances can be donated here AND I can write it off on my taxes.

I also donate things to my girlfriend's church for their raffles or Christmas auctions.

Once a year I work with a group pf local police officers that take homeless children shopping for Christmas gifts. To see what little kids buy when they don't have ANYTHING is quite amazing. It often isn't toys.

I also donate my time on occasion to Special Olympics and the Breast Cancer walks (either on duty for the event or participating) because I have been impressed with the goals of those organizations and the people who I have worked with through them.

Too many 'satanists' (notice I used a little S and put in in quotes) assume kindness or charity is weak and unsatanic. My opinion is that if you have a cause you feel is worthy and deserving of your time or money, it's your business alone if you donate.

Donations can not ony be satisfying from an emotional perspective (ie-walking five miles in the heat for my mom in the breast cancer walk) but also monetarily beneficial (ie-tax dedections etc). It can also help you network and make business contacts as when I work with the Eastern Star or run a golf tournament for the department.

#23773 - 02/02/04 10:23 AM What do Satanists Think?
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
This is not so much directed at this post/poster in particular, as I often see these “what do most Satanists think about _____ ?” questions.

This seems kind of silly to me. Satanists don’t rely on a consensus to form their own opinions.

Tell us what YOU think. And, as individuals, we will respond to your ideas if you are interested in the opinions we have formed… individually.

We are like-minded, not same-minded. Differences of opinion are respected and encouraged, as long as we’re not disputing Satanism itself. With regards to the key tenets of Satanism, we are in alignment. That's what makes us Satanists. It is up to individuals to sort out the details of their own preferences and ideas about things. I think we try to avoid a “party line” approach in many cases – though many of us have reached similar conclusions on our own.

(see also Magister Rose's post)

That said, to answer this particular question, as an individual, I’m not a fan of charity.

You will never see me hand out spare change. Why would I PAY a panhandler to hang out in my neighborhood?

If I was getting rid of things, I might give them to a Goodwill or a Salvation Army, but that’s just because I think it’s kind of wasteful to just throw everything away. I like sifting through other people’s old cool junk.

If I really feel strongly about the goals of an organization (like The Church of Satan!) I might be willing to support it financially in some small way that doesn’t substantially reduce my quality of life.

Maybe Planned Parenthood… *smirks*

#23774 - 02/02/04 10:37 AM Re: Charity
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
I give to Animal charities, especially animal rescue-type operations rather than the humane society, although I still give to the humane society.

I generally do not give to human charities.

I have individuals that I personally know who have needed and deserved my financial/personal assistance – I would rather give a lot of financial/personal assistance to one known person directly than see it evaporate or disperse into unknown pockets.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#23775 - 02/03/04 01:44 AM Re: Charity
Basil_theOgre Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Charity?! BAH!

Who-the-Hell was ever charitable to me? The cops? I'm supposed to give to them? And that'll stop them from raping me with their photoradar guns? The hospitals? I'm supposed to give to them? What, I won't have to pay taxes anymore to pay for my "government funded" health insurance? Are any of the people or groups that want my money going to be better off if I give? Or worse off if I don't?
You want out of a bad sitch, get out. Or die. I've got enough people with their hands in my pockets already, and not in a good way
If you're giving to charity to feel good about helping someone, you're a hipocrite. You want to help someone? Go out and actually HELP someone. Return someone's affection, help your neighbor paint his deck, go to your kids' classroom and photocopy 3000 handouts, shovel your grandmother's sidewalk, volunteer at a battered spouse shelter, give your mail carrier a coffee. Write a check? Ooooooh.... big help. Really went outta your way... Might as well be sitting in church and throwing your money into the collection plate if you want to buy your way into "heaven" so bad.

p.s. NOT directed at any of the posters here... Simply my opinion, in general, and my hatred of charity, specifically.

#23776 - 02/03/04 01:49 AM Re: What do Satanists Think? [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

This seems kind of silly to me. Satanists don’t rely on a consensus to form their own opinions.

As an aside to Jack....

I totally agree with your post and just wanted to offer a reason while I still answer some of these types of questions.

When I FIRST started exploring the world of Satanists beyond the 'good book', I found that there were alot of...oh gee let's be blunt...MORONS

I DID ask alot of those 'what do Satanists think' questions to kind of get a feel for if you all were a bunch of crackpot idiots or were actually worth my time.

So, I totally 100% AGREE with you, Darling. But I actually think these posts can be good, especially when they get a series of rational and intelligent replies that are consistant. Good for skeptical first timers like I was or those lurkers who may be getting a feel for us.

#23777 - 02/03/04 05:25 AM Re: Charity [Re: Basil_theOgre]
CPayne Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Fargo, ND.......no, it's not l...
The cops? I'm supposed to give to them? And that'll stop them from raping me with their photoradar guns?

Don't like getting tickets? So stop speeding. Me, I'm glad there are cops. I wish there were more cops. Every time I see someone pulled over on the side of the road, I feel a tiny bit of satisfaction that some moronic driver is probably getting exactly what they deserve.

The hospitals? I'm supposed to give to them? What, I won't have to pay taxes anymore to pay for my "government funded" health insurance?

Don't like paying taxes? Move somewhere where you won't have to. I'm sure there are a few countries out there you could live and not pay a cent to do it, though M. Nemo would be more knowledgable about something like that than I.

Are any of the people or groups that want my money going to be better off if I give?

Depends on who they are and how much you give.

By the way, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn all charities. You never know when you might need a hand yourself. I'd bet a lot of money that if you were faced with the choice of get our yourself (and you couldn't) or die.........or get help, you'd be groveling in front of the nearest Salvation Army asking for some assistance.

#23778 - 02/03/04 10:05 AM Re: Charity [Re: CPayne]
Basil_theOgre Offline

CPayne, you've got to be fully kidding me. You're glad there are cops. You like seeing people pulled over. Right. I'm going a couple klicks over the limit and some lazy facist with a gun presses a button, turns on his cherries and fills out a load of crap paperwork in order to milk me. NOT to protect the public from my oh so dangerous 2kph over the limit drag-race. Instead this cop could be patrolling the school zones (which they never do) or teaching people how to merge (cuz noone seems to know how), or WALKING a BEAT! There's no such thing as a beat cop nowadays... So don't tell me you wish there were more cops. We'd need more donought shops and Mr. Big and Tall stores.

point2: I never said I don't like paying taxes. I'm not about to pay EXTRA to some Cancer fund though. I pay enough and the doctors and scientists and other professionals are all making a hundred times more money than me, so they too can get their filthy paws out of my pocket.

last: I never know when I might need a hand? I've been in dire effing straights for 18 months. I'm only now starting to claw back out, and it's not because anyone handed me out any hand-outs. It's because I got off my ass and took matters in hand. It's because I'm strong and I want to survive. It's the law of nature baby: Survival of the Fittest. You don't see gazelles clustering aroung the sick and weak members of the herd when the lion comes around do you? Let the weak die. Or let them get strong. Again, let me be clear, if it was me, and I was in such bad shape that I couldn't get out myself, I would hope that for the sake of the future of Humanity, the lions would come and eat me and prevent me from dragging down the rest of the world.

#23779 - 02/03/04 11:21 AM Re: Charity [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Right. I'm going a couple klicks over the limit and some lazy facist with a gun presses a button, turns on his cherries and fills out a load of crap paperwork in order to milk me.

There are assholes who are cops just like there are assholes in every job. There are damn good cops too who take pride in their jobs and do their best. Don't judge the group because of one bad apple. Would you judge Satanism as useless if you dislike one Satanist?

Instead this cop could be patrolling the school zones (which they never do) or teaching people how to merge (cuz noone seems to know how), or WALKING a BEAT!

There are cops that patrol school zones. Maybe you should go to a school and take a look. There are highway patrol officers who work only on the freeways. Then there are sheriffs and police officers who patrol the city streets.

Teaching people how to merge is not the cops job. That's the job of the driver. Responsibility to the responsible.

Back in October my house and most of my belongings burnt to ashes because of a wild fire. The Red Cross offered me assistance. 15,000 dollar assistance. I took it and it was very useful to getting my life in order. I would gladly donate to the Red Cross when I can afford to.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23780 - 02/03/04 11:55 AM Re: What do Satanists Think? [Re: Josephine007]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
They are kind of fun sometimes. Like filling out a questionaire, or one of those magazine tests.

Hmmm...what is my favorite color? How DO I feel about euthanasia? What kind of snack cracker best suits me?

I have no problem with people asking or answering these types of questions. But for those who don't quite understand what's what yet with regards to the CoS & Satanists, every once in a while someone has to put it out there that our visible consensus about a given issue is not necessarily imposed or encouraged for all Satanists.

Just because 4 out of 5 Satanists questioned prefer Ritz crackers to Triscuits, doesn't mean that Ritz crackers are Satanic.

People pop in and try to generalize based on these little surveys, so a caveat to that effect is occasionally necessary, I think.

We should be the pudding they are trying to nail to the wall. We are not a target demographic.

You know that (of course), and I know that, but THEY (whomever they are) don't necessarily know that.

#23781 - 02/03/04 12:13 PM Re: Charity [Re: Basil_theOgre]
CPayne Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Fargo, ND.......no, it's not l...
You're glad there are cops.

Yup....like I said, I wish there were more. I think they should get paid more, too.

You like seeing people pulled over.

If that person is getting what they deserved, then again, yup. Of course it's hard for me to tell if they're getting what they deserve from my vantage point of driving by so I just usually assume that they are.

You have no idea how many people I've known in the past that have hated cops. I always find it extremely amusing, too, that those same people generally always deserve the attention that police pay to them. The speeder always cries "Harrassment!!!!" without stopping to think or accept responsibility for their actions.

There's no such thing as only breaking the law a little bit (which I highly doubt. No offense but the vast majority of people I've known who get speeding tickets, etc, deserve them and yet, they always say they were only going "a little bit over"), and if someone does break it, then they deserve whatever they get.

You'll get no sympathy from me, good sir. I've been driving every day since I was 16 and I have never gotten a speeding ticket, or a moving violation of any kind. I have been pulled over because I "fit the description" of someone a couple times, though. While most people would cry Harrassment, I was glad of it. It meant that they were doing their job and trying to get some criminal scum, as Rev. Svengali would say, off the streets.

Buuuuut, in any case, I have officially veered way the hell off the original post, to which I offer my apologies to the original poster. I'll shut up now

#23782 - 02/03/04 12:15 PM Re: Charity [Re: Discipline]
Basil_theOgre Offline

I drove my kids to school everyday for years. And twice a week I'd see a cop milking people for running a yellow or for speeding. And everyday I'd see people right in front of the school unable to figure out how to work the 4-way stop. Where was the cop there?

Good point about the Red Cross though. We're not gazelles after all. We're human and if we can band together to make ourselves stronger, to help each other through disasters, great. Makes sense. However, I too know what it's like to lose everything. Not because of a natural disaster but because of a chain of events that I couldn't control. I was as bad off as any disaster victim, but there was no group waiting in the wings to bail ME out. A 15k check right now would go a looooong way to saving my ass, but there's no society for victims of vindictive ex's, no fund for the down-sized. I'm on my own.

I guess my problem with charity comes from the stereotypical image of an obese Sally Struthers type holding up an emaciated baby and telling me I've got it good so it's my duty to give. Grrr.

#23783 - 02/03/04 12:33 PM Re: Charity [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I guess my problem with charity comes from the stereotypical image of an obese Sally Struthers type holding up an emaciated baby and telling me I've got it good so it's my duty to give. Grrr.

That is how they try to milk you. Induce guilt in you for your self-success so you will give out of guilt. I don't let myself play their games. I give to charity that I see will either benefit me or gives me enjoyment, not because the media tells me I am "bad" for not doing it.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23784 - 02/03/04 03:48 PM Re: Charity [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Old_Pig Offline

I pay enough and the doctors and scientists and other professionals are all making a hundred times more money than me...

Doctors and scientific are also making a hundred times greater contribution to human knowledge and society in general than you do, so things are balanced!

#23785 - 02/04/04 01:42 AM Re: What do Satanists Think? [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

You know that (of course), and I know that, but THEY (whomever they are) don't necessarily know that.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly. So...which kind of snack cracker DOES suit you best? I tend towards garden vegetable Triscuits myself...

#23786 - 02/04/04 02:31 AM Re: Charity
Bastard_Child Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Montana, USA
My favorite charity is the Bastard Child Wildlife fund...donate a dollar and save my wild life!

#23787 - 02/04/04 07:03 AM Re: Charity [Re: Bastard_Child]
Kurgan Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Land of the Midnight Sun
My favorite charity is the Bastard Child Wildlife fund...donate a dollar and save my wild life!

Or else the SPCA will call you home?

#23788 - 02/04/04 03:26 PM Re: Charity
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not going to feed someone elses kids

How do you manage to escape paying taxes?

I don't consider that charity, it's called the law!

#23789 - 02/04/04 04:39 PM Re: Charity
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Don't you watch South Park? Sally Struthers gets fat and happy while poor Starvin Marvin and his family are forced to go to church under the promise of a meal...WHICH THEY NEVER RECEIVE!

Anyhow, I refuse to give missions money. They really DO force religion on people while promising healthcare and food. Let's not forget it was CHRISTIANITY that fucked most of these places up to begin with. You know what happened to the ancient Mexican cities? Catholicism. Yep. The natives were made slaves and forced to learn the new religion. They were raped and abused and diseased for some promise of eternal happiness. So screw that.

Bums...let's see... Well I know most of the bums around here are PERFECTLY capable of getting a nice job after a good shower. Even if you're missing limbs, this is the US and they can't refuse employment on grounds like those. So why do they degrade themselves? Booze and drugs. Or simply because they're lazy. When you have no assets and panhandle, you never get taxed! They have nothing, but on the other hand, credit-card owners are in debt!

I help out my loved ones but I refuse to spend time or money on a lost cause. Welfare and the American government can take care of the rest, even though I know some people abuse their privelages while those truly in need go without the full benifits.

That is THIS Satanist's view on charity. The rest may speak for themselves.

#23790 - 02/04/04 06:48 PM Re: Charity
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
Well this Satanist does not engage in charity yet my definition of charity is giving a bunch of your money away to help people you neither know nor give a rats ass about. I enjoy giving to friends and loved ones but I consider that a gift of love or friendship not charity.
DARKEST GREETINGS
DrkMasterPrince

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#23791 - 02/04/04 09:26 PM Re: Charity
Innocence Offline

Loc: California
I always feel for those begging for money, especially when it is a child. However, when it is an adult......I feel no obligation whatsoever to help them. It would be aweful to be in their situation, but they should know how to survive on their own. There are organizations that offer help, they should take it upon themselves to do whatever it takes to get on their feet and not beg to strangers that are staying on their feet .
I only offer or give my attention to those whom are close to me or feel are worth it. I dont waste my energy, time and emotion on just anyone.

Edited by Innocence (02/04/04 09:30 PM)

#23792 - 02/04/04 11:17 PM Re: Charity
Despair Offline

Loc: England
In addition to the replies/opinions of people so far, I would say that depending on your situation, giving to charity could be quite helpful in fostering a good image. From what I have read, several people on these boards seem to be unfortunate enough to be in a largely and strongly Christian area. Grating as it might be for some, giving to charity hardly hinders any appearance of a friendly and giving person, which is never a bad thing if you're trying to change something without getting bashed over the head with a crucifix.

#23793 - 02/04/04 11:18 PM Re: Charity
Samhain Offline

Loc: Southern California
I give (when I can) to Historical organizations like Civil War, WWII-WWI, Revolutionary War etc. And being an avid reenactor (mostly WWII and some Civil War) I don't mind at all giving a little to help out with restorations of historical sites. As well as vehicle upkeep or purchasing new ones for future events.

#23794 - 02/04/04 11:36 PM Re: Charity [Re: Samhain]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Where in California do you go to do Civil War reenactments?

I'm not poking fun just would like to go and watch an reenactment one day.

#23795 - 02/05/04 12:03 AM Re: Charity [Re: Discipline]
Samhain Offline

Loc: Southern California
This is a good place to start www.forttejon.org

I have not been to a CW event in a long time, but I do remember the biggest battle in C.A. was the Fresno event.

Enjoy...

#23796 - 05/08/05 01:31 AM Re: Charity
zaxaf Offline
CoS Member

In answer to the question. What do i get in return? What is in it for me?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
13268 Members
73 Forums
44506 Topics
407689 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold