Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#237925 - 04/21/07 11:22 PM Smoking
Tremelo Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
About four months ago, I dropped my state ID, and since no one on this side of pedophilia will believe I'm 18, I've had to stop smoking. This wasn't that big of a deal, because I was a far cry from an addict, I just enjoyed it. Today I got my license back, and didn't rush off to my neighborhood 7-11 for my menthols.

I myself am not in very good physical shape. I can do a little deadlifting at work with heavy rugs [a girl my size, moving area rugs around should be an Olympic event ], but I don't do well running for more than a few seconds or standing for several hours. I'm just lazy like that.

I'm no idiot, I've seen people with tubes in their throats and everything, but I do seriously enjoy smoking. Is it possible to smoke and not become addicted, to smoke and not eventually cause irreperably horrific damage? Is it worth the risk? I'm sure that some precarious balance must exist, wherein I can just quit cold-turkey like I did when I lost my ID. At the time I was smoking between one or two packs a week, menthols and cloves.

#237926 - 04/21/07 11:29 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Smoking is unhealthy. Period.

#237928 - 04/21/07 11:32 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
What is the rationale behind inhaling toxic smoke that destroys lung tissue, causes cancer, costs money, and smells like shit?

Does your insurance cover rotting slowly to death from cancer?

Ever seen anyone cough up blood?

Ever seen anyone with emphesema?

Nicotene is more addictive than most narcotics.

"Enjoy."
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#237931 - 04/21/07 11:50 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Svengali]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
the cloves are even WORSE ...are you serious? um..smokin= dead..period..

congestive heart failure

yummmmmm nothing like drownding from the inside to relax youo after a nice smoke...

take up skydiving

g

#237933 - 04/22/07 12:00 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Thaumaturge]
Tremelo Offline

I realize all of this. I just miss it is all.

That, and I'm a writer. I'm pretty sure publishing houses will turn me down if they meet me and I don't reek of the stuff.

Case closed, then, I'll just.. God, I don't know what to do then. I can't wave a bubble-pipe around when I'm speaking to look cynical, same goes for lolipops. I need a prop!

#237934 - 04/22/07 12:02 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
I myself am not in very good physical shape... but I don't do well running for more than a few seconds or standing for several hours.

WHY? (If you don't mind me asking) are you sick or something?

Quote:
I'm just lazy like that.

Too lazy to take pride in yourself? What?

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#237937 - 04/22/07 12:07 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
a good prop for a writer....Good writing

#237938 - 04/22/07 12:07 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I was addicted to cigarettes at 13. I've tried very hard to stop several times with limited success. I know smoking is stupid, and I will try again.

My advice is to leave them alone, because not only is smoking stupid it's just plain insane. I wish I never started and or failed in my attempts to stop. I must kill my smoking habit before it kills me. Don't be stupid like me and get yourself addicted to it in the first place.
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#237939 - 04/22/07 12:15 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Babydoll]
Tremelo Offline

Wise enough words I guess. It's not a habit to be kicked yet, so I suppose I'm ahead of the game.

Originally Posted By: 2faced_babydoll

WHY? (If you don't mind me asking) are you sick or something?

General out-of-shapeness. I work and go to school, so I don't have a lot of getting-outsde-to-exercise time. It's hard to have a lot of motivation to exercise because I'm still somehow thin. I'me one of those eat-everything-never-gain-an-ounce people. I like hyphens this evening.

#237940 - 04/22/07 12:18 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Don't forget your number ONE priority... YOU!

By the sound of it you need a better diet.

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#237941 - 04/22/07 12:24 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Babydoll]
Tremelo Offline

That could be. Dump diet soda for water. I don't really have the cash for a better diet, I do a lot of living off of vending machines.

#237942 - 04/22/07 12:25 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I quit over three years ago.

I am a very small woman and I can tell you my energy level increased infinitely after I quit smoking. I actually took up running again just recently. When I worked in retail (standing for 8 hours) and smoked a pack a day I was a wreck.

It's not worth it. A pack a week, a pack a month, a pack a year.... It's just. Not. Worth. It.

Quote:
Is it possible to smoke and not become addicted, to smoke and not eventually cause irreperably horrific damage? Is it worth the risk?

No. No. No.

Seriously.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

I Live In A Trailer Park

#237943 - 04/22/07 12:59 AM Re: Smoking [Re: TheNaturalForce]
ClownBoy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: North Carolina
I don't really know what to say I have never been a smoker and never wanted to be. I will tell you it is unattractive and a very damaging habit to pick up. Quiting would be the best way to deal with it.

HS

"The second amendment is not about hunting, it is about protecting you and your family from anyone who threatens your life or tries to take away your rights."

#237944 - 04/22/07 01:26 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
evildork Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I hear there is a limit you can stay under, a certain number of cigarettes a day or week, where it won't cause irreparable damage. That of course isn't to say it's healthy, I'm only offering it up as a fun fact. Once you are addicted, it's extremely hard to keep yourself cut down to below a pack a day. There's a reason all smokers smoke a pack a day... it's because they come in packs.

If you truly want to enjoy smoking despite the risks, it's far better to smoke cigars or a pipe. Because you don't inhale, you drastically reduce the risk of lung cancer, but more importantly, you absorb far less nicotine, which is also due to the (usual) absence of absorbtion enhancing chemical additives. Less nicotine means less withdrawl, which means you'll have the ability to control your usuage. Indulge a few times a week, let's say, and your risk of mouth and throat cancers is also drastically reduced.

But I'd recommend that you stay away from nicotine for at least a week before making such a switch, or else you'll only end up using cigars or pipes as a crutch to drag your addiction along.

Also, I'm talking about REAL cigars and pipe tobacco, you can't find either at a gas station. If you can't find a decent tobacco shop, you can always find what you want online.

It isn't a more convenient alternative, but it's cheaper and far more enjoyable. I am myself a frequent pipe smoker, ex-cigarette smoker.

Edited by evildork (04/22/07 01:31 AM)

#237948 - 04/22/07 01:51 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Danny Mc.]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
 Originally Posted By: TiNiMoCo
I was addicted to cigarettes at 13. I've tried very hard to stop several times with limited success. I know smoking is stupid, and I will try again.

My advice is to leave them alone, because not only is smoking stupid it's just plain insane. I wish I never started and or failed in my attempts to stop. I must kill my smoking habit before it kills me. Don't be stupid like me and get yourself addicted to it in the first place.

I agree very much with this. I have had to at least change my smoking habits a bit after several failed attempts to quit. I now smoke a pipe with usually cherry or vanilla cavendish in it. While it is not at all "safer" than a cigarrette or cigar, I am at least smoking less, spending less, and liking it more.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405198 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements