CoS Member

Loc: Here
10! Ok I have 90 more questions but...

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#238018 - 04/22/07 09:14 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Tremelo Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
My mother smoked every day from age 11, through 3 pregnancies, and to this day at nearly 40. I'm sure I want to smoke because of some weird subconscious thing, my dad tells me I try to be like her because I more or less abandoned her after the divorce. This is particularly destructive because she's never been in a healthy relationship, never been well employed, and smoked for about 30 years straight.

And on the question of my cynicism and my NyanNyanNyanko avatar.. Shut up. Even the bitchiest bitch can have Hello Kitty slippers. [NyanNyanNyanko > Hello Kitty, for the record] I am cynical because even after having amassed the small weath of information and knowlege I have, I'm still treated the same as my infantine peers. I get made fun of for having so many books, I mean like 3rd grade kind of made fun of. One day, a guy just pushed all of my books off of my desk and onto the floor, and just laughed at it. What is this? I'm cynical because I deserve better and probably won't get it. That's about the extent of my diatribe.

#238020 - 04/22/07 09:17 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
JustinR Online
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I'm a non-smoker. I grew up with my mother smoking, so I think that turned me off from it at a young age. There aren't many members in my family that do smoke, just my mother and my sister.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#238033 - 04/22/07 10:56 AM Re: Smoking [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
That is a pretty damn cute avatar.

Tremelo, about your peers--I can totally empathize. It wasn't until college when I began to generally feel like I was being treated with true respect and dignity, and being judged on the basis of my character and competence, rather than age or grade.

Even when I did earn special privileges and accolades, it was from special, really cool teachers who had their heads on straight, and otherwise, I often felt like I had to put on an extra-special tap dance to win any kind of real respect.

I hated having to disguise my reading ability and progress in elementary school to avoid being reprimanded for making the other children feel bad. I hated having to put on cutesy-wootsy performances well into 6th grade, even though I had never been cutesy-wootsy. I hated having to abide by the same narrow restrictions and unnecessary rules in middle and high school, because my idiot peers couldn't be trusted.

It's also annoying when other people disparage you for being a weirdo or a brainiac. I still get weird looks to this day from some people. Especially when you're in school, it can be maddening to be surrounded by "Waaal, it looks like we got ourselves a reader!" types.

But, unfortunately, that's life. As the alien elite, we're going to bump up against a lot of people in our lives, because they resent or misunderstand our humor, our intellects, our values, and our aesthetics. Even when we're not deliberately baiting them--and it's often a waste of time to do that--they can still smell that something is amiss. Herd animals take a great interest in sniffing out who's different, who doesn't fit in and move in formation.

You may deserve better, but most humans aren't going to be enlightened enough to realize that. So, win the respect of those who count--teachers, authority figures who can help you get places, cool people--and do yourself proud, by applying yourself to the best of your ability, and putting all the idiots to shame.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#238036 - 04/22/07 11:43 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
In terms of the long-term effects on the health, it depends on the person.

My grandfather, who died last year at the age of 93, smoked pipes, cigars, and cigarettes his whole life since the age of 9. Never got cancer, heart disease, or any other serious health complications.

My uncle's first wife smoked only cigarettes. She had a series of complications, and died of Cancer at the age of 52.

The only advice I can give you is that if smoking proves to be a hazard to your health, then it would be best to quit.

#238037 - 04/22/07 11:48 AM Re: Smoking [Re: evildork]
EmageDiakon Offline

Then she would have tasted like an old ashtray with tictac. For some this is even worse...

#238088 - 04/22/07 05:37 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
I REALLY fail to understand the allure of cigarettes. I can see (don't read as approval)how a person who hates himself/herself, or isn't smart or crafty enough to get out of undesirable circumstances, would use alcohol or drugs for an escape. But sucking on a burning wad of plants for no apparent reason??!! I don't get it.

#238111 - 04/22/07 07:55 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Adequate
I quit using Hypnosis (who'd have thought it? ;\) haha) this was a quick process and above all, it worked.

My uncle smoked until we went to a hypnotist, which worked for him too. There was one incident when a week after he bought a pack of cigarettes, but after trying to smoke one he just threw them all down the toilet. He hasn't had a cigarette now in over 20 years, so I can't imagine a relapse from him.

A friend of mine tried quitting through hypnosis, and initially it did work for him. However, his wife and all of his friends were smokers and continued to smoke, and after being around that every day, I suppose it all became familiar to him again, so it wasn't all that long until he went back to smoking. My uncle on the other hand didn't hang out with other smokers to begin with, so I think that's what helped him along.

Similarly, I knew four guys in college who all tried quitting at different times, and it just wouldn't work because the person trying to quit would still be hanging out at the same table with 3 other smokers. They just didn't have the will power in that setting. But then once they all decided they would try to quit at the same time, it worked.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#238134 - 04/22/07 09:28 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

When your material is ready to be sent to publishing houses, I presume you will be doing this the usually accepted way - to send in a cover letter plus three chapters (or whatever the publisher asks for).

They will be judging it based on its inherent strength, before ever meeting you, let alone knowing whether you're a smoker or not.

And in this day and age, I think the stereotype of the smoking and boozing writer is just that - a stereotype.

If you speak well, and write well, that is what matters.

#238226 - 04/23/07 07:24 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
amagi Offline

Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

#238230 - 04/23/07 07:37 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Vengeance23 Offline

I have tried and tried to quit smoking, but to no avail (Obviously not hard enough, I know).
I have cut down considerably since taking up Bujinkan, but those hideous little coffin nails still have a hold on me. Of course, I won't give up giving up, but I admire anyone (within reason) who has managed to kick this filthy habit.
Still, I WILL give up one day. (one day....oh one day!)

HS!

#238231 - 04/23/07 07:47 AM Re: Smoking [Re: amagi]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Thank you, But....

The fact that smoking causes stress is NOT something new. It has long been known that smoking depletes the body of vitamin C. (Vitamin C is a stress vitamin)

I'm pretty leery about their findings in the article you provided it seems they have found yet another excuse to pass out antidepressants.

Quote:
Some scientists believe drugs that boost serotonin levels would be far more effective than nicotine patches in helping smokers through the crucial three-week period after the decision to quit. Serotonin is a naturally-occurring "calming" hormone, produced by the brain at times of stress.

And:
 Quote:
The answer may now lie in producing drugs that stimulate serotonin production during the vital three weeks in which it takes the chemical pathways to recover after a smoker has stopped.

Church of Satan

#238234 - 04/23/07 08:21 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
amagi Offline

Well, I wouldn't call it an "excuse", it is rather another option for the patient. But I guess such antidepressants would be too expensive for someone who just wanted to quit smoking.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

#238239 - 04/23/07 08:54 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Vengeance23]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Be sure you are supplementing your diet with plenty of vitamin C.

Mega doses of up to 5000 mgs a day.

Church of Satan

#238245 - 04/23/07 09:38 AM Re: Smoking [Re: amagi]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

From the article:

Quote:
FOR decades, smoking was seen as the epitome of cool. Millions of addicts swore blind that nothing worked better than lighting up to magic away stress

Ridiculous! Smoking hasn't been the epitome of cool since the 1950's. For that matter I highly doubt it was EVER the 'epitome' of 'cool'.

Quote:
But research by a Scottish pathologist on the interaction between the brain and nicotine has turned that view on its head.

What a joke! That view has long been dead, people are being shunned more now than ever in history for lighting up. It's been outlawed just about everywhere, even in open air environments. i.e.: Ball parks.

Quote:
Smoking, it now appears, causes stress in the first place.

Now? As I stated this is NOT a new finding. Not at all.

Quote:
Some scientists believe drugs that boost serotonin levels would be far more effective than nicotine patches in helping smokers through the crucial three-week period after the decision to quit.

Some scientists believe ? Where is the scientific evidence to prove such a claim? Are we to be made guinea pigs of?

Don't kid yourself into believing that this 'option' won't be somehow covered under medical insurance as preventative medicine. The excuse being it's cheaper to provide serotonin patches than it is to provide chemotherapy to cancer patients.

Someone is making money perhaps the manufacturers of serotonin?

If you don't have a biochemical imbalance before starting antidepressants, you certainly will have one once you are on them! antidepressants have been shown to have drastic effects on the brain's serotonergic system. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, or chemical messenger, that normally connects to receptor sites and fires nerves. Antidepressants prevent serotonin from being removed from the active place where it's working in the brain. It keeps the sparks alive longer, and as a result, a lot of excess firing takes place. The brain doesn't like all the overstimulation and eliminates 30-40% or more of receptors. The brain, in effect, is saying, I'm not going to have receptors for all this serotonin. It's a compensatory mechanism for the overstimulation. Receptors can be compared to catcher's mitts. The balls being thrown are like serotonin. After awhile the brain just eliminates its catcher's mitts. It says, I'm catching too much serotonin. I'm going to get rid of my catcher's mitts.

Eli Lilly knew about the disappearance of receptors from their laboratory experiments. What they failed to study, however, was whether or not receptors ever come back.
The information could have been indirectly gleaned from performing spinal taps on human beings before and after they had taken antidepressants, to see if the breakdown products indicated that the brain returns to normal. This approache was never attempted. Obviously, Lilly is not concerned with this issue.

With half of the US (exaggeration?) being over medicated on antidepressants it is my hope this bogus finding stays right where it is in Scotland.

Church of Satan

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406002 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements