Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#237925 - 04/21/07 11:22 PM Smoking
Tremelo Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
About four months ago, I dropped my state ID, and since no one on this side of pedophilia will believe I'm 18, I've had to stop smoking. This wasn't that big of a deal, because I was a far cry from an addict, I just enjoyed it. Today I got my license back, and didn't rush off to my neighborhood 7-11 for my menthols.

I myself am not in very good physical shape. I can do a little deadlifting at work with heavy rugs [a girl my size, moving area rugs around should be an Olympic event ], but I don't do well running for more than a few seconds or standing for several hours. I'm just lazy like that.

I'm no idiot, I've seen people with tubes in their throats and everything, but I do seriously enjoy smoking. Is it possible to smoke and not become addicted, to smoke and not eventually cause irreperably horrific damage? Is it worth the risk? I'm sure that some precarious balance must exist, wherein I can just quit cold-turkey like I did when I lost my ID. At the time I was smoking between one or two packs a week, menthols and cloves.

#237926 - 04/21/07 11:29 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Smoking is unhealthy. Period.

#237928 - 04/21/07 11:32 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
What is the rationale behind inhaling toxic smoke that destroys lung tissue, causes cancer, costs money, and smells like shit?

Does your insurance cover rotting slowly to death from cancer?

Ever seen anyone cough up blood?

Ever seen anyone with emphesema?

Nicotene is more addictive than most narcotics.

"Enjoy."
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#237931 - 04/21/07 11:50 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Svengali]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
the cloves are even WORSE ...are you serious? um..smokin= dead..period..

congestive heart failure

yummmmmm nothing like drownding from the inside to relax youo after a nice smoke...

take up skydiving

g

#237933 - 04/22/07 12:00 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Thaumaturge]
Tremelo Offline

I realize all of this. I just miss it is all.

That, and I'm a writer. I'm pretty sure publishing houses will turn me down if they meet me and I don't reek of the stuff.

Case closed, then, I'll just.. God, I don't know what to do then. I can't wave a bubble-pipe around when I'm speaking to look cynical, same goes for lolipops. I need a prop!

#237934 - 04/22/07 12:02 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
 Quote:
I myself am not in very good physical shape... but I don't do well running for more than a few seconds or standing for several hours.

WHY? (If you don't mind me asking) are you sick or something?

Quote:
I'm just lazy like that.

Too lazy to take pride in yourself? What?

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#237937 - 04/22/07 12:07 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
a good prop for a writer....Good writing

#237938 - 04/22/07 12:07 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I was addicted to cigarettes at 13. I've tried very hard to stop several times with limited success. I know smoking is stupid, and I will try again.

My advice is to leave them alone, because not only is smoking stupid it's just plain insane. I wish I never started and or failed in my attempts to stop. I must kill my smoking habit before it kills me. Don't be stupid like me and get yourself addicted to it in the first place.
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#237939 - 04/22/07 12:15 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Babydoll]
Tremelo Offline

Wise enough words I guess. It's not a habit to be kicked yet, so I suppose I'm ahead of the game.

Originally Posted By: 2faced_babydoll

WHY? (If you don't mind me asking) are you sick or something?

General out-of-shapeness. I work and go to school, so I don't have a lot of getting-outsde-to-exercise time. It's hard to have a lot of motivation to exercise because I'm still somehow thin. I'me one of those eat-everything-never-gain-an-ounce people. I like hyphens this evening.

#237940 - 04/22/07 12:18 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Don't forget your number ONE priority... YOU!

By the sound of it you need a better diet.

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#237941 - 04/22/07 12:24 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Babydoll]
Tremelo Offline

That could be. Dump diet soda for water. I don't really have the cash for a better diet, I do a lot of living off of vending machines.

#237942 - 04/22/07 12:25 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
I quit over three years ago.

I am a very small woman and I can tell you my energy level increased infinitely after I quit smoking. I actually took up running again just recently. When I worked in retail (standing for 8 hours) and smoked a pack a day I was a wreck.

It's not worth it. A pack a week, a pack a month, a pack a year.... It's just. Not. Worth. It.

Quote:
Is it possible to smoke and not become addicted, to smoke and not eventually cause irreperably horrific damage? Is it worth the risk?

No. No. No.

Seriously.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#237943 - 04/22/07 12:59 AM Re: Smoking [Re: TheNaturalForce]
ClownBoy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: North Carolina
I don't really know what to say I have never been a smoker and never wanted to be. I will tell you it is unattractive and a very damaging habit to pick up. Quiting would be the best way to deal with it.

HS

"The second amendment is not about hunting, it is about protecting you and your family from anyone who threatens your life or tries to take away your rights."

#237944 - 04/22/07 01:26 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
evildork Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I hear there is a limit you can stay under, a certain number of cigarettes a day or week, where it won't cause irreparable damage. That of course isn't to say it's healthy, I'm only offering it up as a fun fact. Once you are addicted, it's extremely hard to keep yourself cut down to below a pack a day. There's a reason all smokers smoke a pack a day... it's because they come in packs.

If you truly want to enjoy smoking despite the risks, it's far better to smoke cigars or a pipe. Because you don't inhale, you drastically reduce the risk of lung cancer, but more importantly, you absorb far less nicotine, which is also due to the (usual) absence of absorbtion enhancing chemical additives. Less nicotine means less withdrawl, which means you'll have the ability to control your usuage. Indulge a few times a week, let's say, and your risk of mouth and throat cancers is also drastically reduced.

But I'd recommend that you stay away from nicotine for at least a week before making such a switch, or else you'll only end up using cigars or pipes as a crutch to drag your addiction along.

Also, I'm talking about REAL cigars and pipe tobacco, you can't find either at a gas station. If you can't find a decent tobacco shop, you can always find what you want online.

It isn't a more convenient alternative, but it's cheaper and far more enjoyable. I am myself a frequent pipe smoker, ex-cigarette smoker.

Edited by evildork (04/22/07 01:31 AM)

#237948 - 04/22/07 01:51 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Danny Mc.]
Catalyst Offline
Banned

Loc: Atwater, Ohio
 Originally Posted By: TiNiMoCo
I was addicted to cigarettes at 13. I've tried very hard to stop several times with limited success. I know smoking is stupid, and I will try again.

My advice is to leave them alone, because not only is smoking stupid it's just plain insane. I wish I never started and or failed in my attempts to stop. I must kill my smoking habit before it kills me. Don't be stupid like me and get yourself addicted to it in the first place.

I agree very much with this. I have had to at least change my smoking habits a bit after several failed attempts to quit. I now smoke a pipe with usually cherry or vanilla cavendish in it. While it is not at all "safer" than a cigarrette or cigar, I am at least smoking less, spending less, and liking it more.

#237950 - 04/22/07 02:11 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Catalyst]
Tremelo Offline

Being the scrawny chick I am, I suppose picking up a great big phallic cigar wouldn't be that bad an idea. It'd be cute, and somehow extremely sexual.

But, being that I am a scrawny chick, I don't know anything about real tobacco and tend to be deterred by uncharted waters. I think I take the easy route and just quit. [ It's nice that I can call that the easy route, yeah? ]

#237953 - 04/22/07 03:00 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Shiva Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Is it possible to smoke and not become addicted,

Yes, but it has to be few and far between.

There was a time in my life when I only smoked clove cigarettes and a single pack would last me well over a month. Generally in the evenings I would sit down, have a cigarette, and relax. But it wasn't a must-do daily ritual. I treated them just as I do alcohol nowadays... a single glass of wine a couple times a week isn't putting me at a very high risk of anything.

My big mistake was to switch to regular cigarettes when the local store stopped carrying cloves. Shortly afterwards, my smoking habits changed and involved far more than one cigarette a day.

I do know a couple people who just smoke when they are around other smokers in social settings (similar to social drinkers) once in a blue moon, which seems to work out fine for them as long as their social life doesn't take a dramatic increase.

I'm not about to say that smoking to any extent doesn't carry risks. But in very careful moderation, I don't think those risks are very high.

"The ugliest of trades have their moments of pleasure. Now, if I were a grave-digger, or even a hangman, there are some people I could work for with a great deal of enjoyment." - Douglas Jerrold

#237954 - 04/22/07 03:03 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Catalyst]
evildork Offline

Originally Posted By: Ascendancy
I now smoke a pipe with usually cherry or vanilla cavendish in it.

Yucky.

#237957 - 04/22/07 03:57 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Just a few days ago I had to call a taxi and send a girl home because of this filthy horrible habit.

Managed to pull this bird in a pub. She was easily a 9 out of ten. Really nice looking. Got her home, however, and her mouth tasted like an ashtray. Nearly made me sick.

Sent her straight home. And told her why aswell.

"You taste like an old ahtray. Get the fuck out!"

Filthy, horrible woman.

#237960 - 04/22/07 04:38 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
evildork Offline

And to think of the ending that could have been, had you have had a tic-tac...

#237967 - 04/22/07 05:14 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tremelo
Is it possible to smoke and not become addicted, to smoke and not eventually cause irreperably horrific damage?

Yes, it's possible. I've seen some who only go through a pack a month, and some who smoke and live well into their 90s. I'll have a cigar maybe once every two years on my birthday. Then again, I don't think that qualifies me as a "smoker" any more than a person whose only alcohol intake is half a glass of champagne every Jan 31st is a "drinker".

The reality though is that very, very few smokers can do this. And I've never seen a smoker go from being an addict to somebody who can easily go a week without a cigarette, unless it was while they were on their way to permanently quitting. I've known smokers who've quit, and they tell me it has much more to do with will power than physical addiction. It seems to me that the people who "can't quit" are, like most adicts, those who secretly don't want to quit on some level.

Honestly, I can't imagine who would want to be a smoker. Never mind the crazy health risks. Is it really worth having to step outside of the building every hour, when it's freezing or raining outside? To have your skin, your clothes, and your car smell so rancid? To have to stop at convenience stores every night, with the price of cigarettes ever-rising? (Smokers tell me they can't save money and buy a carton, because they know they'll just smoke more.) I don't get it.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#237971 - 04/22/07 05:53 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
amagi Offline

Smokers often think cigarettes calm them down or make them in one kind or another "happy", but this is actually a drug-induced self-delusion. Scientists have shown that the level of hormones which are responsible for feeling happy goes down under the average value in smokers who have not smoked for a significant time. Smokers need cigarettes for rising those hormones to an average level. This rise makes the smoker think that cigarettes are making him happier than a non-smoking person, which is wrong. Other addicting drugs actually have a mood-enhancing feature, so it seems incomprehensible to me why one would choose this drug. (Note that I myself never did drugs.)
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

#237977 - 04/22/07 06:38 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Bill_M]
evildork Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I'll have a cigar maybe once every two years on my birthday.

...I don't know what your parents told you, but you should've been getting presents every year.

#237983 - 04/22/07 07:16 AM Re: Smoking [Re: amagi]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Source?

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#237987 - 04/22/07 07:36 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
I smoked for ten years.

Cigarettes, roll-ups, a pipe, turkish water pipe, etc.

I quit last year, September, I believe.

Best thing I have ever done. The health problems that smoking causes really hits you when you quit.

I do not miss smoking at all, I despise the smell of smoke in the air, on people, in transport.

I quit using Hypnosis (who'd have thought it? ;\) haha) this was a quick process and above all, it worked.

I did have a small relapse where I was really tempted to try and smoke (even though the smell repulsed me,) I lit one up and nearly vomited.

Quit today, live tomorrow. ;\)

#237993 - 04/22/07 07:56 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
I stopped smoking many years ago and never felt the urge to smoke again.
It's a useless time and life wasting habit.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#237994 - 04/22/07 08:06 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
I can't wave a bubble-pipe around when I'm speaking to look cynical, same goes for lolipops.

Your avatar pic is the story of a kitty cat covered in cotton candy. Your "cynical" cred ain't exactly solid as it is. ;\)

#237995 - 04/22/07 08:11 AM Re: Smoking
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
 Quote:
To have to stop at convenience stores every night, with the price of cigarettes ever-rising? (Smokers tell me they can't save money and buy a carton, because they know they'll just smoke more.) I don't get it.

Actually, I get mine for $1.50 a pack. Then again, I go through a carton (10 packs) in little over a month.

If you really want to smoke, you just have to do your homework.
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#237999 - 04/22/07 08:23 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Good for you! I went cold turkey in 1996. It wasn't hard for me at all considering no one else in my house was a smoker. I still can't get over how they put up with it for so many years.

One question Adequate...You said you smoked for 10 YEARS...At what age did you start smoking?

Church of Satan

#238000 - 04/22/07 08:25 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

10 ;\)

#238003 - 04/22/07 08:37 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

10! Ok I have 90 more questions but...

Church of Satan

#238018 - 04/22/07 09:14 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Tremelo Offline

My mother smoked every day from age 11, through 3 pregnancies, and to this day at nearly 40. I'm sure I want to smoke because of some weird subconscious thing, my dad tells me I try to be like her because I more or less abandoned her after the divorce. This is particularly destructive because she's never been in a healthy relationship, never been well employed, and smoked for about 30 years straight.

And on the question of my cynicism and my NyanNyanNyanko avatar.. Shut up. Even the bitchiest bitch can have Hello Kitty slippers. [NyanNyanNyanko > Hello Kitty, for the record] I am cynical because even after having amassed the small weath of information and knowlege I have, I'm still treated the same as my infantine peers. I get made fun of for having so many books, I mean like 3rd grade kind of made fun of. One day, a guy just pushed all of my books off of my desk and onto the floor, and just laughed at it. What is this? I'm cynical because I deserve better and probably won't get it. That's about the extent of my diatribe.

#238020 - 04/22/07 09:17 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I'm a non-smoker. I grew up with my mother smoking, so I think that turned me off from it at a young age. There aren't many members in my family that do smoke, just my mother and my sister.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#238033 - 04/22/07 10:56 AM Re: Smoking [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
That is a pretty damn cute avatar.

Tremelo, about your peers--I can totally empathize. It wasn't until college when I began to generally feel like I was being treated with true respect and dignity, and being judged on the basis of my character and competence, rather than age or grade.

Even when I did earn special privileges and accolades, it was from special, really cool teachers who had their heads on straight, and otherwise, I often felt like I had to put on an extra-special tap dance to win any kind of real respect.

I hated having to disguise my reading ability and progress in elementary school to avoid being reprimanded for making the other children feel bad. I hated having to put on cutesy-wootsy performances well into 6th grade, even though I had never been cutesy-wootsy. I hated having to abide by the same narrow restrictions and unnecessary rules in middle and high school, because my idiot peers couldn't be trusted.

It's also annoying when other people disparage you for being a weirdo or a brainiac. I still get weird looks to this day from some people. Especially when you're in school, it can be maddening to be surrounded by "Waaal, it looks like we got ourselves a reader!" types.

But, unfortunately, that's life. As the alien elite, we're going to bump up against a lot of people in our lives, because they resent or misunderstand our humor, our intellects, our values, and our aesthetics. Even when we're not deliberately baiting them--and it's often a waste of time to do that--they can still smell that something is amiss. Herd animals take a great interest in sniffing out who's different, who doesn't fit in and move in formation.

You may deserve better, but most humans aren't going to be enlightened enough to realize that. So, win the respect of those who count--teachers, authority figures who can help you get places, cool people--and do yourself proud, by applying yourself to the best of your ability, and putting all the idiots to shame.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#238036 - 04/22/07 11:43 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
In terms of the long-term effects on the health, it depends on the person.

My grandfather, who died last year at the age of 93, smoked pipes, cigars, and cigarettes his whole life since the age of 9. Never got cancer, heart disease, or any other serious health complications.

My uncle's first wife smoked only cigarettes. She had a series of complications, and died of Cancer at the age of 52.

The only advice I can give you is that if smoking proves to be a hazard to your health, then it would be best to quit.

#238037 - 04/22/07 11:48 AM Re: Smoking [Re: evildork]
EmageDiakon Offline

Then she would have tasted like an old ashtray with tictac. For some this is even worse...

#238088 - 04/22/07 05:37 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Marcato Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern New England
I REALLY fail to understand the allure of cigarettes. I can see (don't read as approval)how a person who hates himself/herself, or isn't smart or crafty enough to get out of undesirable circumstances, would use alcohol or drugs for an escape. But sucking on a burning wad of plants for no apparent reason??!! I don't get it.

#238111 - 04/22/07 07:55 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Rory_Rocketpants]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Adequate
I quit using Hypnosis (who'd have thought it? ;\) haha) this was a quick process and above all, it worked.

My uncle smoked until we went to a hypnotist, which worked for him too. There was one incident when a week after he bought a pack of cigarettes, but after trying to smoke one he just threw them all down the toilet. He hasn't had a cigarette now in over 20 years, so I can't imagine a relapse from him.

A friend of mine tried quitting through hypnosis, and initially it did work for him. However, his wife and all of his friends were smokers and continued to smoke, and after being around that every day, I suppose it all became familiar to him again, so it wasn't all that long until he went back to smoking. My uncle on the other hand didn't hang out with other smokers to begin with, so I think that's what helped him along.

Similarly, I knew four guys in college who all tried quitting at different times, and it just wouldn't work because the person trying to quit would still be hanging out at the same table with 3 other smokers. They just didn't have the will power in that setting. But then once they all decided they would try to quit at the same time, it worked.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#238134 - 04/22/07 09:28 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

When your material is ready to be sent to publishing houses, I presume you will be doing this the usually accepted way - to send in a cover letter plus three chapters (or whatever the publisher asks for).

They will be judging it based on its inherent strength, before ever meeting you, let alone knowing whether you're a smoker or not.

And in this day and age, I think the stereotype of the smoking and boozing writer is just that - a stereotype.

If you speak well, and write well, that is what matters.

#238226 - 04/23/07 07:24 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
amagi Offline

The Force shall free me.

#238230 - 04/23/07 07:37 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Vengeance23 Offline

I have tried and tried to quit smoking, but to no avail (Obviously not hard enough, I know).
I have cut down considerably since taking up Bujinkan, but those hideous little coffin nails still have a hold on me. Of course, I won't give up giving up, but I admire anyone (within reason) who has managed to kick this filthy habit.
Still, I WILL give up one day. (one day....oh one day!)

HS!

#238231 - 04/23/07 07:47 AM Re: Smoking [Re: amagi]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Thank you, But....

The fact that smoking causes stress is NOT something new. It has long been known that smoking depletes the body of vitamin C. (Vitamin C is a stress vitamin)

I'm pretty leery about their findings in the article you provided it seems they have found yet another excuse to pass out antidepressants.

Quote:
Some scientists believe drugs that boost serotonin levels would be far more effective than nicotine patches in helping smokers through the crucial three-week period after the decision to quit. Serotonin is a naturally-occurring "calming" hormone, produced by the brain at times of stress.

And:
 Quote:
The answer may now lie in producing drugs that stimulate serotonin production during the vital three weeks in which it takes the chemical pathways to recover after a smoker has stopped.

Church of Satan

#238234 - 04/23/07 08:21 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
amagi Offline

Well, I wouldn't call it an "excuse", it is rather another option for the patient. But I guess such antidepressants would be too expensive for someone who just wanted to quit smoking.
The Force shall free me.

#238239 - 04/23/07 08:54 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Vengeance23]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Be sure you are supplementing your diet with plenty of vitamin C.

Mega doses of up to 5000 mgs a day.

Church of Satan

#238245 - 04/23/07 09:38 AM Re: Smoking [Re: amagi]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

From the article:

Quote:
FOR decades, smoking was seen as the epitome of cool. Millions of addicts swore blind that nothing worked better than lighting up to magic away stress

Ridiculous! Smoking hasn't been the epitome of cool since the 1950's. For that matter I highly doubt it was EVER the 'epitome' of 'cool'.

Quote:
But research by a Scottish pathologist on the interaction between the brain and nicotine has turned that view on its head.

What a joke! That view has long been dead, people are being shunned more now than ever in history for lighting up. It's been outlawed just about everywhere, even in open air environments. i.e.: Ball parks.

Quote:
Smoking, it now appears, causes stress in the first place.

Now? As I stated this is NOT a new finding. Not at all.

Quote:
Some scientists believe drugs that boost serotonin levels would be far more effective than nicotine patches in helping smokers through the crucial three-week period after the decision to quit.

Some scientists believe ? Where is the scientific evidence to prove such a claim? Are we to be made guinea pigs of?

Don't kid yourself into believing that this 'option' won't be somehow covered under medical insurance as preventative medicine. The excuse being it's cheaper to provide serotonin patches than it is to provide chemotherapy to cancer patients.

Someone is making money perhaps the manufacturers of serotonin?

If you don't have a biochemical imbalance before starting antidepressants, you certainly will have one once you are on them! antidepressants have been shown to have drastic effects on the brain's serotonergic system. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, or chemical messenger, that normally connects to receptor sites and fires nerves. Antidepressants prevent serotonin from being removed from the active place where it's working in the brain. It keeps the sparks alive longer, and as a result, a lot of excess firing takes place. The brain doesn't like all the overstimulation and eliminates 30-40% or more of receptors. The brain, in effect, is saying, I'm not going to have receptors for all this serotonin. It's a compensatory mechanism for the overstimulation. Receptors can be compared to catcher's mitts. The balls being thrown are like serotonin. After awhile the brain just eliminates its catcher's mitts. It says, I'm catching too much serotonin. I'm going to get rid of my catcher's mitts.

Eli Lilly knew about the disappearance of receptors from their laboratory experiments. What they failed to study, however, was whether or not receptors ever come back.
The information could have been indirectly gleaned from performing spinal taps on human beings before and after they had taken antidepressants, to see if the breakdown products indicated that the brain returns to normal. This approache was never attempted. Obviously, Lilly is not concerned with this issue.

With half of the US (exaggeration?) being over medicated on antidepressants it is my hope this bogus finding stays right where it is in Scotland.

Church of Satan

#238253 - 04/23/07 11:03 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Tremelo Offline

Originally Posted By: gypsy
From the article:
 Quote:
FOR decades, smoking was seen as the epitome of cool. Millions of addicts swore blind that nothing worked better than lighting up to magic away stress

Ridiculous! Smoking hasn't been the epitome of cool since the 1950's. For that matter I highly doubt it was EVER the 'epitome' of 'cool'.

Smoking went into full-swing after WWII, because during the war soldiers were given 5 smokes per day in their daily rations. When they came back, retailers had a couple thousand addicts on their hands and started selling and advertising full-force. Of course, immediately after any war, the boys that had just gotten home after fighting for their country were glorified, and so I personally think this is what set smoking into motion.

Before the war, in the roaring twenties, it was extremely popular for flappers to smoke as an act of individuality and a hint at feminism.

Smoking was very much an okay thing until people started dropping dead. This may or may not have increased the alleged cool factor, when the late 50s and early 60s brought the Fonz archetype, the leather sporting rouser of rabble with no regaurd to his own mortality. Really, what's cooler than laughing in the face of death? Later, when the 60s and 70s came on, the same attitude intensified as heavier drugs came into play.

It's really only been the past decade or two that smoking has been despised by the public. My dad can recall ashtrays at the end of the isles in grocery stores and theaters- imagine, a world where shopping for broccoli and lighting up went hand-in-hand.

Edited by Tremelo (04/23/07 11:07 AM)

#238257 - 04/23/07 11:37 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
It's really only been the past decade or two that smoking has been despised by the public. My dad can recall ashtrays at the end of the isles in grocery stores and theaters- imagine, a world where shopping for broccoli and lighting up went hand-in-hand.

Really? Gee I remember when the surgeon general's warning first appeared on a pack of cigarettes. I also seem to recall getting snickered at for smoking somewhere around that time and ever since.

Church of Satan

#238262 - 04/23/07 12:17 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Amelia Offline

Loc: USA
I have always said, if you want to smoke, smoke, but don't inflict your smoke on the unwilling public, and don't cry about your death, should it be somehow related to your smoking. If you think it tastes good or get some social enjoyment out of it, go right ahead without guilt.
I myself smoke on occasion. Mostly cigars. I am not addicted. The last time I smoked anything has to have been, at least 8 months ago, and I have no strong desire to do it right now. As I do have some tasty cigars around somewhere I may take the oppertunity to have a smoke as I take a walk outside sometime, but I might not, and I don't always. But, most people who begin smoking aren't so lucky as to escape addiction, so in most cases I wouldn't suggest starting.
Each person is individual, so there is no blanket statement good for all, but whatever you do, as long as you take responsibility for your actions and enjoy yourself, go right ahead. So, if you want to smoke, smoke all you want, but don't do it with a guilty thought in your head... that would be a complete waste!

#238297 - 04/23/07 03:18 PM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Tremelo Offline

Really? Gee I remember when the surgeon general's warning first appeared on a pack of cigarettes. I also seem to recall getting snickered at for smoking somewhere around that time and ever since.

Snickered at is fine, but asked to leave buildings and outdoor areas?- the amusement park in my area is entirely outdoors but still has very stricly designated smoking areas. Smoking bas been banned here, there, and now citizens are not only being urged to not smoke but to also avoid other smokers as to not be inflicted with the dreaded second-hand smoke. Given the right envirnment and the right fanatic zealots, this could become another Red Scare- though I'm sure they'll think of something more clever to call it, like the Black Scare in reference to lungs, or the Green Scare in reference to menthol. This is an extreme instance, but is all the while possible. Personally, I don't give a damn what anyone else does to their lungs and will not judge them for it. A vice is a vice. You cannot look at other addictions and blame the addict for starting it in the first place- food, chocolate, sex, et cetera. It's not my job to decide, based on a person's vices, whether they are smart, a good person, a waste of my time, and so on.

I suppose what I'm getting at is simply that the animosity towards tobacco and its patrons has indeed increased from something miniscule in the past. Smoking has not always been a social sin, and has gradually, if not exponentially become a taboo. ("Gradually" and "exponentially" seem like very different words, but in my head, when I think of the word "exponentially", I see the parabola y=x^2, which in my opinion accurately graphs the hysteria over tobacco in the past century. Plug it into your TI-84 if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

By the by, your sarcasm is not appreciated nor is it constructive here, so either take it elsewhere or just shut up.

#238302 - 04/23/07 03:54 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

I personally don't get it, all that fuzz around "trying to quit".
And the false promises people are making to themselves "yeah, but one day..blabla". It's really a matter of WILL, and all the rest is rubbish and a waste of spit.

|| Benjamin Franklin ||

|| George Bernard ||

#238303 - 04/23/07 03:57 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Svengali]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Here they cover medical help/insurance for lung cancer patients caused by cigarettes, unbelievable, but it's true.

|| Benjamin Franklin ||

|| George Bernard ||

#238305 - 04/23/07 04:03 PM Re: Smoking [Re: x9x]
Tremelo Offline

Originally Posted By: x9x
Here they cover medical help/insurance for lung cancer patients caused by cigarettes, unbelievable, but it's true.

What I found most rediculous is that our state is jacking up the taxes on tobacco in order to support related health care-

I personally don't believe that an insurance company should cover a smoker for a disease related to it. If I had lung cancer, I would go my merry dead way and not beg money off of the insurance companies. There is a point at which where you can only shrug and say "What did you think was going to happen?" it's like car insurance for NASCAR drivers. Think about it.

#238326 - 04/23/07 07:08 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
What I found most rediculous is that our state is jacking up the taxes on tobacco in order to support related health care-

I personally don't believe that an insurance company should cover a smoker for a disease related to it. If I had lung cancer, I would go my merry dead way and not beg money off of the insurance companies.

Yeah. Sure you would. Let's listen in on that scenario...

"I'm afraid the the tests are positive. The mass is malignant, and unless you receive treatment immediately, you're looking at a very painful death. Now, your insurance should cover the treatment. Plus the state has a fund in place for this sort of thing, paid for by a tax on tobacco--"

"Oh, then never mind, Doctor."

"Um... what?"

"It's probably my own fault anyway. If it's all the same to you I'll just take my lumps and go die. I mean, why should anybody else pay for this?"

"But... your insurance company has agreed to pay. They have to; it's in the contract. They took on the risk of this happening when they gave you a policy. It's the nature of their business, and I assure you they're still making a profit on it overall."

"But I'm a smoker. I should have seen this coming, right? So I'm not going to beg money to try and fix it now."

"Well, yes, you should have quit smoking a long time ago, but it's not too late to take corrective action here. Also, I don't think you understand just how horrible a death you're staring down if this is left untreated. With the proper care, we could at least--"

"Oh no, I understand. It's just that I'd much rather die. You know, to make a point about the political bee I've got in my bonnet over this issue."

Yeah, sounds perfectly plausible to me.

-Chess

#238341 - 04/23/07 09:15 PM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Thank you, But....

The fact that smoking causes stress is NOT something new. It has long been known that smoking depletes the body of vitamin C. (Vitamin C is a stress vitamin)

I'm pretty leery about their findings in the article you provided it seems they have found yet another excuse to pass out antidepressants.

Quote:
Some scientists believe drugs that boost serotonin levels would be far more effective than nicotine patches in helping smokers through the crucial three-week period after the decision to quit. Serotonin is a naturally-occurring "calming" hormone, produced by the brain at times of stress.

And:
 Quote:
The answer may now lie in producing drugs that stimulate serotonin production during the vital three weeks in which it takes the chemical pathways to recover after a smoker has stopped.

Orgasm does the same thing. One could just have an orgasm a day(or more ) to keep the serotonin levels up! Beats dying of cancer hands down. And no nasty medication side effects. ;\)

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

"Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued." Socrates

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#238345 - 04/23/07 09:26 PM Re: Smoking [Re: dragondancer]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Now you're talking...

Church of Satan

#238347 - 04/23/07 09:35 PM Re: Smoking [Re: x9x]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
It's really a matter of WILL, and all the rest is rubbish and a waste of spit.

Exactly! It is just that...will power baby and if you don’t have any shut your damn trap and smoke till you fucking drop because the information is out there and that is ALL the motivation you need.

Church of Satan

#238348 - 04/23/07 09:40 PM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Quote:
It's really a matter of WILL, and all the rest is rubbish and a waste of spit.

Exactly! It is just that...will power baby and if you don’t have any shut your damn trap and smoke till you fucking drop because the information is out there and that is ALL the motivation you need.

I'll chime in on that one also. Exactly. You are either a slave to cigarettes or the master of your own destiny. Which is it?

Hail Satan!
"It does take an exceptional mind and a still more exceptional integrity to remain untouched by the brain-destroying influences of the world's doctrines, the accumulated evil of the centuries-to remain human, since the human is the rational." Dr. Akston in Atlas Shrugged

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#238352 - 04/23/07 09:53 PM Re: Smoking [Re: dragondancer]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
 Originally Posted By: dragondancer

I'll chime in on that one also. Exactly. You are either a slave to cigarettes or the master of your own destiny. Which is it?

Hail Satan!

The master of my own destiny.... aaaand a lover of orgasms (loved your previous reply dragondancer!).
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#238353 - 04/23/07 09:56 PM Re: Smoking [Re: dragondancer]
Tremelo Offline

Quite honestly.. I wouldn't want to live by the time I'd been smoking long enough to have lung cancer. By that time I myself would have figured out that life thereafter would be abstinence. Also, if I were to smoke that long and fall to addiction, I would no longer be the one in control of my life, which is again abstinence.

If I'm going to do something that harmful to myself, knowing full well the consequences, then I deserve inoperable tumors.

#238357 - 04/23/07 10:14 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
VictorC Offline

I have never tried ciggarettes and neither do i plan to try anytime in the near future. I have tried cigars and sheeshas and whatever else and have discovered a fondness for sheeshas. I have never questioned if its really harmful to my health because i simply do not overdo it. I find that questioning myself about such things would only serve to hinder my enjoyment over such a simple pleasure of life. Know your limits and work with it. Smoke all you want. Addiction is a disease for the weak. ;\)

#238361 - 04/23/07 10:23 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Bill_M]
VictorC Offline

If i smoked, i would never entertain the thought of somebody else screwing around with my mind. Hypnosis...no way

#238362 - 04/23/07 10:25 PM Re: Smoking [Re: dragondancer]
VictorC Offline

Hahahaha, ;\) i totally agree. An orgasm a day keeps the ciggarettes away.
Orgasms a day keeps the hypnotist away.

#238374 - 04/23/07 11:02 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Chess]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Damn it, Chess. I love your posts.

Your posts are funny and they still make a point.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#238413 - 04/24/07 04:56 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Vengeance23]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Church of Satan

#238416 - 04/24/07 05:00 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
DarkApollyon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Brighton, England

Here in the UK I can remember being allowed to smoke at the cinema and on on public transport in my youth - I guess it was stopped in both these places 15 - 20 years ago!

Here in England smoking is to be banned by law in all enclosed public spaces from 1 July 2007.

#238419 - 04/24/07 05:18 AM Re: Smoking [Re: DarkApollyon]
Marianne Offline

Loc: N.Ireland
Smoking in enclosed public places is to be banned here in N.Ireland on Walpurgisnacht.
I for one will be glad to be able to breathe easier in a pub and not go home smelling like a dog-end.

I am an ex-smoker incidentally.

M

People = Shit

#238422 - 04/24/07 06:07 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Quite honestly.. I wouldn't want to live by the time I'd been smoking long enough to have lung cancer. By that time I myself would have figured out that life thereafter would be abstinence. Also, if I were to smoke that long and fall to addiction, I would no longer be the one in control of my life, which is again abstinence.

If I'm going to do something that harmful to myself, knowing full well the consequences, then I deserve inoperable tumors.

This is one of the most masochistic, life-hating, compulsion driven posts I've read in a long time.

Are you sure you're in the right place?

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#238437 - 04/24/07 07:54 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Minus]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Good question.

I especially liked this one.....

Quote:
By the by, your sarcasm is not appreciated nor is it constructive here, so either take it elsewhere or just shut up.

I appreciated it. I thought it was constructive...

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#238457 - 04/24/07 10:06 AM Re: Smoking [Re: VictorC]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: VictorC
Orgasms a day keeps the hypnotist away.

Not if I'm the one giving them... ;\)

#238460 - 04/24/07 10:09 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Minus]
Tremelo Offline

The only thing the sarcasm accomplished was establishing a condescending tone in the discussion, thusly turning it into an argument.

Originally Posted By: Minus
This is one of the most masochistic, life-hating, compulsion driven posts I've read in a long time.

Are you sure you're in the right place?

I think the point I was getting at was that allowing things to get out of hand enough to fall victim to what i now consider a quickie indulgence would be masochistic and compulsive. What I was trying to infer was that instead of smoking a pack a day, getting cancer and refusing to treat it, I plan on just not picking the habit back up and going on my merry little way.

#238462 - 04/24/07 10:26 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
I think the point I was getting at was that allowing things to get out of hand enough to fall victim to what i now consider a quickie indulgence would be masochistic and compulsive. What I was trying to infer was that instead of smoking a pack a day, getting cancer and refusing to treat it, I plan on just not picking the habit back up and going on my merry little way.

Smart move.

I did not sense the sarcasm because at the beginning of this thread you seemed to be doing everything in your power to justify your decision to begin smoking cigarettes again.

If you truly intend on not smoking again, smart move.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#238478 - 04/24/07 11:26 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Callier Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: On my grind
These are your lungs.

These are your lungs after smoking cigarettes.

Any questions?

HS!

#238481 - 04/24/07 11:41 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Callier]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
Any questions?

Yes. Can I have a smoker's lung omelette with ham and cheese, please?

-Ethiopian Proverb

#238488 - 04/24/07 12:38 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Callier]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
 Originally Posted By: Callier
These are your lungs.

Any questions?

HS!

Yes, I do have a question...

Why are you bringing poor Miss Butterworth into this conversation? She is the thickest, most buttery, syrup EVER damned you!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#238533 - 04/24/07 03:35 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Evil_Eve]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
Good question.

I especially liked this one.....

Quote:By the by, your sarcasm is not appreciated nor is it constructive here, so either take it elsewhere or just shut up

Quote:
I appreciated it. I thought it was constructive...

Would that be the original quote? Or my supposed sarcasm? \:D

Church of Satan

#238613 - 04/24/07 11:17 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Callier]
Tremelo Offline

Originally Posted By: Callier
These are your lungs.

Any questions?

HS!

Question: If my lungs are eggs, what are my ovaries!?

Also, spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam eggs and spam.

#238614 - 04/24/07 11:19 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
 Quote:
Question: If my lungs are eggs, what are my ovaries!?

Cigarettes!

#238620 - 04/24/07 11:58 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Tremelo Offline

Originally Posted By: Jack_Lantern
Cigarettes!

Win response o'the day

#238621 - 04/24/07 11:59 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
 Quote:
I'm no idiot, I've seen people with tubes in their throats and everything, but I do seriously enjoy smoking.

If you are not an idiot then why do you have an email address with the group that you do?

#238626 - 04/25/07 12:28 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Nemo]
Tremelo Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemo
 Quote:
I'm no idiot, I've seen people with tubes in their throats and everything, but I do seriously enjoy smoking.

If you are not an idiot then why do you have an email address with the group that you do?

What are you talking about? My e-mail address?

#238661 - 04/25/07 07:12 AM Re: Smoking [Re: gypsy]
Vengeance23 Offline

Thanks for the advice. I shall now consume so much vitamin C I'll probably end up turning orange, but its better than lung and heart disease I suppose. ;\)

HS!

#238663 - 04/25/07 07:41 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Smoking is bad for you, anybody with a brain knows that. All you have to ask yourself is if you want to take the risks for that moment of pleasure.
If you do you shouldn't whine when your health is less than that of non-smokers. If you do not want to take that chance simply quit it. You are the one lighting those things is it not?

#238799 - 04/26/07 05:36 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

You wrote: I'm no idiot, I've seen people with tubes in their throats and everything, but I do seriously enjoy smoking.

I replied: If you are not an idiot then why do you have an email address with the group that you do?

You wrote: What are you talking about? My e-mail address?

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

#238845 - 04/26/07 07:10 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Nemo]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

We actually get quite a few people who cite that site in their profile. Most usually don't last long.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#238847 - 04/26/07 07:56 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Nemo]
Tremelo Offline

Originally Posted By: LKRice
We actually get quite a few people who cite that site in their profile. Most usually don't last long.

Originally Posted By: Nemo

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

I'm still a little lost, but if I'm being criticised for having an account on a social networking site that looks like Hot Topic gagged it up in a bulimic fit, then go sit on it. I have a few friends on there and it's nice to talk to them when I'm not on the computer with an instant messenger. That and I like to play with CSS and things, so having an account there gives me a little playground. Now, if I had an account there and it was overmodified, gaudy, and had a great big flashing picture that read "SATANIC BITCHEZ 4EVA", then I could understand someone being a little pissy. But I don't.

#238858 - 04/26/07 10:05 PM Re: current murder trials and ongoing criminal investigations. [Re: Tremelo]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

I am stating here that I am in no manner connected with nor condone criminal activity.

Never have and never will.

As a standard personal policy I do not communicate with any who are in the gray area between.

I am now hitting the "Ignore You" button.

#238860 - 04/26/07 10:14 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Nemo]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:
You wrote: I'm no idiot, I've seen people with tubes in their throats and everything, but I do seriously enjoy smoking.

I replied: If you are not an idiot then why do you have an email address with the group that you do?

You wrote: What are you talking about? My e-mail address?

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

Not so amazing, my friend. just garden variety human stupidity.

We are different.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#239107 - 04/28/07 08:27 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Citizen Gift Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Orange County, California
I guess what you're saying is that for you its an indulgence and not a compulsion?

#239108 - 04/28/07 08:29 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Citizen Gift]
Tremelo Offline

To an extent? I honestly haven't had any physical problems with it, and have never felt the "Oh my god I need to smoke right now", or the "I need to smoke more than before just to feel 'normal'". Not to say that I never will, but all the same..

#239110 - 04/28/07 08:37 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Citizen Gift Offline

CoS Member

Cigarettes are tasty in my opinion, When I was was younger and not supposed to smoke due to legalities, cigarettes where much bigger, as I grew older, they grew smaller, so now I smoke Camel Wide Lights, its like being bad all over again! I suppose its another example of the Law of the Forbidden maximizing my pleasure through my indulgences.

#239126 - 04/28/07 09:49 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Citizen Gift]
Lazarus Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
 Quote:
I suppose its another example of the Law of the Forbidden maximizing my pleasure through my indulgences.

The Law of the Forbidden has absolutely nothing to do with your willingness to commit slow, painful suicide.

Try again.

#239127 - 04/28/07 09:52 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Lazarus]
Citizen Gift Offline

CoS Member

I suppose I was out on a limb on that one...

#239128 - 04/28/07 09:56 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Citizen Gift]
Lazarus Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Indeed...we all live and learn...to live!

Peace.

#239136 - 04/28/07 10:29 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Citizen Gift]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
Ah the delusions of smokers.

Always trying to justify a disgusting, dangerous habit.

I should know, I quit earlier this year.

#239204 - 04/28/07 04:30 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
dragondancer Offline

CoS Member

Just how many cigarettes do you suppose it takes to develop lung cancer? One? Ten? Six thousand? ANYTIME you light up you are taking a risk that you may develop some kind of cancer, be it lung, throat, mouth, lip, nasal...etc.

Sorry, but in my mind with smoking there is no indulgence vs. compulsion. The risk is there regardless...just like unprotected sex. What matters is whether you think risking your life is worth the pleasure of the moment.

I prefer indulging in self preservation, but that's just me.

Hail Satan!

Dragondancer
Temple of Vampire

#239215 - 04/28/07 05:47 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Lazarus]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Lazarus
we all live

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Lazarus
we all learn

I disagree. ;\)

#239505 - 04/30/07 02:42 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
To answer your question, yes there is a way to enjoy your nicotine without burning away your lungs, it's a device that pretty much steams the nicotine out of the tobacco and then you such it through a straw as gas without all the other harmful nastiness. Though the device is mostly used for other types of unmentioned herbs. I think the last I had seen of the device, it cost somewhere around the price range of one hundred to two hundred American dollars.

#465510 - 12/07/11 06:05 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Citizen Gift]
Janina Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Center of my own Universe
I think smoking chigarettes makes you slave for nicotine and when you hook yourself you are not making your own decision. Its drug wichc kills your free will

#465533 - 12/07/11 10:52 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Tremelo]
Bet'phage Offline

Loc: Ohio
The risks of Pleasure
Often outweigh
The Law the Self-preservation.

Edited: My apologies for posting to a five year old thread. smile

Edited by Bet'phage (12/07/11 11:17 AM)

http://www.vampiretemple.com/whatis.html

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
11891 Members