Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#23914 - 02/04/04 08:07 PM Re: There are no "perfectionists" [Re: Nemo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perfect what you do enough to get what you want.
Do not confuse what you are with what you do.
There are no "perfectionists"
There are only people who can measure what they do by some standard.
Select your standards carefully.

Can we take that one step further?

What we DO is never to be confused with what we ARE?

In that case, I would say there ARE no Satanists.

There are only people who act certain ways.

There are people who have Satanic standards and (try to) live up to them.

Some succeed.

They ACT Satanic.

There ARE no Satanists.

Perfectionism is a man-made word. It was come up with AFTER someone had noticed certain behaviour in people.

Satanism is a man-made word. It was come up with AFTER someone (and we all know to whom I am referring to, here ) had noticed certain behaviour in people.

Why can there be Satanists? Why can there not be perfectionists?

Just curious

Respectfully, Dymfna.

#23915 - 02/05/04 03:05 AM Re: "Can we take that one step further?"
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Oh, very well.

Then YOU are not a Satanist.

More seriously, these are all just words we are using here, correct?

When individuals identify with a label it can help or hinder them.

Labeling yourself a "perfectionist" doesn't help you in becoming more flexible in your choices. It lends itself to excuses.

"It's not my fault. It's my nature."

On the other hand some labels can offer the individual benefits. Calling yourself a Satanist can have profound effects on your inner dialogue and choices.

Words have power to influence thought and behavior and perhaps even more.

So technically I would agree with you in the sense that words are tools and not people.

Reification is the shorthand we use to communicate heirarchies of meaning internally and externally.

Words.

Use them.

Don't be used BY them.

Just my opinion.

#23916 - 02/05/04 05:39 AM Re: There are no "perfectionists"
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
Satanism is well defined and perfectionism cannot be defined i guess thats the little difference - if you speak from perfectionism it only depends on you, if you speak from satanism you can share this with others.

#23917 - 02/05/04 02:56 PM a one-legged-man and a supermodel [Re: Nemo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, very well.

Then YOU are not a Satanist.

Although that comment doesn't make much sense..... as you wish, Magister

Words.
Use them.
Don't be used BY them.

We cannot be used by words. We are "used" by our inner thoughts. Because it is our thoughts that make us think and feel the way we do.

If the man with one leg thinks he can run really fast, then it is that THOUGHT that makes him feel strong.

If the supermodel thinks she looks ugly, then it is that THOUGHT that makes her feel insecure about herself.

The one-legged-man and the supermodel are not controlled or "used" by the labels handicap or supermodel. They are controlled by their thoughts.

Labelling yourself a perfectionist does not hinder you from being happy about your own work. It is the thought that your work is not good enough that hinders you from being happy about your work.

It is not the fact that I call myself a Satanist that makes me feel proud of myself.

It is the thought that all that I achieved on my own thusfar is worthy of my pride that makes me feel proud of myself.

Labels just are. They do not control.

WE do.

Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
Dymfna.

#23918 - 02/05/04 04:55 PM Re: a one-legged-man and a supermodel
Ringu Offline

Quote:

The one-legged-man and the supermodel are not controlled or "used" by the labels handicap or supermodel. They are controlled by their thoughts.

oh hah - do you let yourself be controlled by your thoughts or do you control your own thoughts?

Quote:

We are "used" by our inner thoughts. Because it is our thoughts that make us think and feel the way we do.

So you associate with "inner thoughts" self suggestion? - in that way i whould agree because everyone performs self suggestion.

Quote:

We cannot be used by words.

Well i guess words are just the translation from our thoughts we try to descripe them with words.

#23919 - 02/05/04 06:37 PM keyword
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 11549'00"W 3714'00"N
If the man with one leg thinks he can run really fast, then it is that THOUGHT that makes him feel strong.

If the supermodel thinks she looks ugly,

Keyword: IF.

Ahh, a sense of liberation. Just because reality is uncertain, does not mean that we have to be.

#23920 - 02/05/04 06:51 PM Re: "Can we take that one step further?" [Re: Nemo]
Flavius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: BridgePort
"Reification is the shorthand we use to communicate heirarchies of meaning internally and externally."

Habit makes the world go 'round...

#23921 - 02/05/04 11:29 PM Re: a one-legged-man and a supermodel [Re: Ringu]
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh hah - do you let yourself be controlled by your thoughts or do you control your own thoughts?

We ARE controlled by our thoughts. But as soon as we recognize them, it is THEN that we can make the choice to either be controlled by them (victim role) or actively chance them into more desirable or productive thoughts, so we control THEM.

It is a choice.

#23922 - 02/06/04 12:18 AM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Max Rose]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perfection can never be achieved, TheGreenGroove, and I believe that some of us ( including me ), in defiance of our own incapabilities, strive to achieve what cannot exist. Recognition of your own fualts must come first, so that they may not hinder your judgement of others. That's my opinion.

#23923 - 02/06/04 04:12 AM Yes.
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I agree.

And there are "loaded" thoughts (such as labels) which can trigger untold numbers of associated meanings.

This is why it is possible to use words to cause blisters to form on skin in hypnosis for example.

#23924 - 02/06/04 09:54 AM Re: a one-legged-man and a supermodel
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

Never heard it put quite that way, but I like it.

Self-control, especially one's thoughts, is paramount .

#23925 - 02/06/04 10:35 AM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Max Rose]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I pretty much always try to do everything perfect. Although, I don't look as it being so bad. I think my perfection, especially in school, helps point me out as something better than the rest of the herd. I thoroughly enjoy my ego through this. Usually hard work rewards with a large result. As far as the magic goes, I think the only time perfectionism might take from the magic is in the middle of a ritual. I try not to be an expert and perfectionist in anything dealing with magic, because I already know that because I am stuck in the habit of being perfect and good at things, that my ritual will similarily reflect that, minus the worry hidden within.

#23926 - 02/06/04 02:25 PM Re: a one-legged-man and a supermodel
Ringu Offline

Well sorry i just can agree about 50% - if you mean that you cannot choose which thoughts step into your mind then you are absolutly correct but in my way i still decide which thought i realize in this material-world and which not, that is even my _own_ opinion. Im not controlled by my thoughts - my thoughts will just give me different ways and i choose.

#23927 - 02/06/04 02:35 PM Re: a one-legged-man and a supermodel [Re: Ringu]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well sorry i just can agree about 50% -

Oh please, don't be sorry.

It don't really care, actually

#23928 - 02/06/04 03:14 PM Re: a one-legged-man and a supermodel
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Quote:

We ARE controlled by our thoughts. But as soon as we recognize them, it is THEN that we can make the choice to either be controlled by them (victim role) or actively chance them into more desirable or productive thoughts, so we control THEM. It is a choice.

In other words, whether you are a victim or in control of your life, including your thoughts, depends on your level of awareness, reflection and consciousness.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12281 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404442 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements