Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#23899 - 02/02/04 11:49 PM Re: Perfectionism
Max Rose Offline

Quote:

if you set your goals too high then you are also setting yourself up for devestation and disappointment should you fail to acqire them

I find this kind of funny because a motto that I have always lived by after I heard a motivational speech was "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land amoungst the stars,". Those darn motivational speakers... they should just make up their minds already.

#23900 - 02/02/04 11:54 PM Re: Perfectionism
Max Rose Offline

Quote:

I would suggest that you intentionally mix into your day some activities that don't usually draw out your vice...something that you don't particularly agonize over. Put that in between something else that you do and do this often throughout the week.

This is an excellent suggestion. I will most certainly keep this in mind.

#23901 - 02/02/04 11:55 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Max Rose]
Srpntvsn Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
Then again, there's always Murphy's Law...

Sometimes, learning to relax is quite a task within itself!

"Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them."

"I hate victims who respect their executioners."

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."

- Sarte

#23902 - 02/03/04 01:03 AM Perfectionism (the other side) [Re: Max Rose]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I know my standards, and I also know they are higher than most. Typically I have found that the general standard is lower than my own; so if I do a job to my standard, then it is "above and beyond" by theirs. After all, if you're going to do something, do it right!

I was running into difficulty with the standards of others. I will not ask of someone that which I cannot and do not do already. Lead by example. Yet my trainees were falling short of the mark, which was frustrating until I thought about how I came to be where I am today. It was not an overnight thing, it was and is years of study, discipline, and a lot of downfalls along the way. I grew more patient over time, and honed my personal skills, and the way I teach them to others if need be.

Relaxation will also be an effect of this. Once you meet your standard, then the job is finished, and you can breathe knowing that it is done right. Then the time is yours to do what you will.

So perfection can be useful if utilized as a tool for defining standard instead of a burden. It's you that's in the details after all.

Regards,
Solomon

All the way stars' green, gotta go.

#23903 - 02/03/04 02:28 AM There are no "perfectionists" [Re: Max Rose]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Perfect what you do enough to get what you want.

Do not confuse what you are with what you do.

There are no "perfectionists"

There are only people who can measure what they do by some standard.

Select your standards carefully.

#23904 - 02/03/04 11:15 AM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Max Rose]
Mistress Noel Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Where streams of silver flow a...
You can still have balance and enjoy life when living to your own high personal standards. There is joy not only in accomplishment of attaining your standards, but also in the process of attaining. Pay attention during the process and enjoy it. That is living.

#23905 - 02/03/04 01:26 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Srpntvsn]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Murphy was an optimist.

That is what I call Discipline's Law.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23906 - 02/03/04 03:42 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Discipline]
Srpntvsn Offline
CoS Member

Most of the original workings were derived from excessive pessimism, and most are their own best antithesis, and vice versa. They have been twisted, revitalized, reworded, retheorized, etc. throughout its' 53 year existence.

At least he laughed it off when all he got was negative outcomes during tests...

I'm not exactly sure what your post is deriving at, please do clarify.

#23907 - 02/03/04 03:59 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Srpntvsn]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Just being a little humorous. It's just something I like to say to cheer me up when things have gone bad.

Is Discipline's Law the exact opposite of whatever Murphy's Law is at the time? As the original/s already negate themselves either which way.

I like that way of thinking of it. I will imply that to my "Law", Discipline's law.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#23908 - 02/03/04 04:05 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Discipline]
Srpntvsn Offline
CoS Member

Gotcha!

"Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them."

"I hate victims who respect their executioners."

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."

- Sarte

#23909 - 02/03/04 09:44 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Max Rose]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
[If it has not been suggested yet...]

Put flaws in some minor daily activities, like putting away CDs or books without organizing them in a particular way or putting together a sandwich in a sloppy way.

When I catch myself working harder than is necessary/productive, I do this as a reminder that "good is good enough" and that "perfection" is just a void that can't be filled.

If your goal is to exceed others, then do just enough to accomplish that. Knowing when to stop is important, else you'll be working on a brilliant program for three years without anything to show for it like an old acquaintance of mine.

#23910 - 02/04/04 07:08 AM Re: Perfectionism [Re: Max Rose]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

if you set your goals too high then you are also setting yourself up for devestation and disappointment should you fail to acqire them

I find this kind of funny because a motto that I have always lived by after I heard a motivational speech was "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land amoungst the stars,". Those darn motivational speakers... they should just make up their minds already.

Not meaning to argue technicalities here but .. the stars are actually further away from us than the moon

#23911 - 02/04/04 07:36 AM Re: Perfectionism
RobertE Offline

Loc: Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not meaning to argue technicalities here but .. the stars are actually further away from us than the moon

And aren't we already "amongst the stars", since we're on a planet revolving around one?
There is no Hank. You are Karl. Make your own list as you see fit. Eat as many wieners as you want, any way you want, even with a large group of consenting individuals if you want! Take pride in your wiener-eating. Make up large, elaborate ceremonies revolving around the kissing of your own ass, having them photographed and videotaped by the media if possible.

#23912 - 02/04/04 03:53 PM Re: Perfectionism [Re: RobertE]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And aren't we already "amongst the stars", since we're on a planet revolving around one?

The sun is still further away.

(I'm enjoying these quotes.)

#23913 - 02/04/04 07:13 PM Wabi Sabi [Re: Max Rose]
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Begin to look at beauty in imperfection, in the slight oddities, and incompletion. Don't see imperfection as a flaw but rather find beauty in that which is unique. You will appreciate your art more and find more enjoyment in it.

I'm rather into writing poetry and I know that it gets awfully frustriating to look for that one word or phrase that will describe your thought PERFECTLY. Seeing your art develop is a lot like watching children grow up, I suppose; they never turn out quite as you're predicted, but you always seem proud either way, especially when they succeed.

Good luck with the songwriting.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406355 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements