Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#240008 - 05/02/07 07:28 AM ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
As a child I devoured all the books I could on the subject. I watched all the shows. Saw all the movies. I was deeply fascinated with the possibility of intelligent non-human creatures traversing the stars with their superior technologies, philosophies and societies. After all, Neanderthals were an intelligent species separate from the human race, so why does it have to stop here on planet Earth? Even though I had never been shown evidence that this fantastic dreamy idea was true, the stories entertained some primal part of my imagination and kept my mind stimulated. Eventually I laid the subject to rest and moved on to other interests. Recently I began to reflect on this idea again. What are your thoughts on intelligent extraterrestrial life?

#240009 - 05/02/07 07:35 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Exanimus Offline

Loc: NC
I believe extraterestrial life does exits, but so far I have seen no proof of aliens visiting earth.

#240011 - 05/02/07 07:54 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Fagneto Offline
The Weakest Link

Loc: CT
Most proper science states it unlikely that aliens have visited earth, due to the level of energy needed to cross the stars, and the youth of our galaxy (and the laws of limited speed of matter). A race advanced enough to do such would be condered a stage-3 race of life (one able to harness 100% of a star's energy or traverse distance between stars).

But...most proper science does assume life is out there. Even if only a fraction of 1% of all planets had life, there would still be billions of planets in our galaxy alone that would harbor "life".

Well thats what the common "big heads" say anyway...

Me? I say HAVE visited... Mostly from Mexico.

I trust Arthur C Clarke...I guess I love him.

Edited by Fagneto (05/02/07 07:59 AM)
I am forever in the shadow of my crime, and for that I ask for punishment but only of the level I earned. I ask to not be removed from the place I find truth. I have been a very small creature, and have no excuse.

#240014 - 05/02/07 08:14 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Fagneto]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
If you had asked this question oh, 6 or more months ago I would have said the whole idea was poppycock since Science has not 'proved' that LGM exist.

I used to be a HUGE and I do mean HUGE Carl Sagan fan. I shared most of his thoughts on this particular subject. I too would look in the sky and say "bummer".

Now? Let's just say that life is a funny thing and I do not hold the same ideas true that I used to on the subject.

I simply... 'don't know'. How's that? ;\)

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#240015 - 05/02/07 08:21 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Evil_Eve]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Well, there HAS to be intelligent life somewhere, cause the scanner is blank here on earth

#240018 - 05/02/07 08:54 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Eibon]
sub50hz Offline

Loc: Chicago
I sure hope there is a race (or races) of beings somewhere in the universe that is smarter than the rest of the idiots on this planet.

#240020 - 05/02/07 09:07 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Evil_Eve]
Fagneto Offline
The Weakest Link

LGM?

Lurking God-like Nyarlathotep?

No wait...thats LGN.

Ok...screw it. I am done here.
I am forever in the shadow of my crime, and for that I ask for punishment but only of the level I earned. I ask to not be removed from the place I find truth. I have been a very small creature, and have no excuse.

#240032 - 05/02/07 09:54 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Amelia Offline

Loc: USA
Though I doubt any 'aliens' have visited us from outerspace, I feel it is likely there are lifeforms out there somewhere far far away from us.
Like the creation of life is so hard! Hah! \:\)

#240044 - 05/02/07 11:16 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
JysusCryst Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I do believe that there is life on other planets, but as for a more intelligent life-form, I doubt it. Though I am positive that there are bacterial, plant and animalistic life of other planets.

#240055 - 05/02/07 11:59 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: JysusCryst]
Fagneto Offline
The Weakest Link

Jesus...

Why would you think "Earth" that was created by the nature of nature, and science would be the planet with the highest form of "smarty"? Huh?

Think about this...

There are more planets in the universe then there are sands on every beach on earth...Just visit ONE beach, and do some deep thinking. After that, visit EVERY beach on the earth, come back, and then change what you said...If you do not, ooooooh Ima scold you somthing nifty!

Here...sit down and lend me your eyes. Class time.

The universe is about 13 or 14 billion years old. We know this through astronomers who analyze light waves to tell how long it takes for light (from objects) that reach reach Earth. This is a damn fine way to tell age of things and you can waste time questioning the validity of this science...but not until you are a real "astronomer". It's sorta "water tight" unless you wanna think "yeh!? well how do you know God didn't mess with the numbers?"

Earth sucks off a new star at the round-about age of 5 billion years. Now, we can see "other stars" in the most distant of galaxies (oldest being about 12.7 billion years old). Now...lets think, if life is prolly really normal for the universe, there is more stars older then ours then there are flies on this planet....making it very likely that there just MAY be some smart-ass shit out there.

Seeing as our galaxy is said to be about 10-billion years old, we are not the youngest punk on the block, but we do have many older brothers. I wouldn't place no money on what you say...In fact, in another 100 years the human race will be much smarter and much more advanced (sell Bell's law and the history of our race). This means, if one race is 100 years older then ours, and much the same as we are, then they are alot more intelligent.

Now I am running on three hours sleep in the past 48 hours, so forgive me if I wasn't clear...But I think I was.

PS: There are no unicorns.

#240071 - 05/02/07 01:21 PM A few thoughts to consider. [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You might consider a few items.

If such intelligences were present you might not recognize them as such.

If they related to human beings with any interest at all they might prefer to not be so identified for their own reasons.

Again, as Clarke's Third Law suggests ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.") the presence of such intelligences would likely be perceived by human beings as paranormal events or the activities of gods.

Setting aside the usual common assumptions regarding human history and mythology, it is interesting that the oldest stories about human origins include gods who came to this world and created human beings for their own purposes.

If these stories are basically true then the continued presence of those intelligences would still remain "invisible" to human beings who have already labeled what they see as "explained".

Thus the continued experiences of members of different religions who "hallucinate" their gods might not always be just hallucinating.

One of Dr. LaVey's friends was Jacques Vallee, the noted French computer scientist and astronomer. Today he is a well recognized authority on UFOs. You might wish to read what he wrote with regard to these issues.

If such intelligences exist and were in the same room with you as you read these words you might not know it as such.

Food for thought.

#240076 - 05/02/07 01:34 PM Re: A few thoughts to consider. [Re: Nemo]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Well said magister,

I agree. I have have been able to visit with a lot of different cultures. I suggest everyone do a little research on the Dogon tribe. The Dogon are an ethnic group located mainly in the administrative districts of Bandiagara and Douentza in Mali, West Africa.

The precise origin of the Dogon is undetermined. Their civilization emerged, in much the same manner as ancient Sumer, both sharing tales of their creation by gods who came from the sky in space ships. They also believe these Gods will return.

many believe that the Dogon are part of Ancient Egyptian Ancestry.
Allegedly, when the Dogon left Egypt, they brought with them sacred knowledge in the form of oral traditions, perhaps handed down by the ancient priests of Egypt.

The Dogon creational tale is laced with metaphors that are similar to other legends of creation throughout the world. "One need only compare them and understand their metaphoric content, to understand the nature of our reality, past, present, and future."

According to Dogon mythology, Nommo was the first living being created by Amma, the sky god and creator of the universe.

He soon multiplied to become six pairs of twins. [This is a metaphor for one source/soul splitting into two - yin /yang, when it enters into the electromagnetic energies of third dimension.

One twin rebelled against the order established by Amma, thereby destabilizing the universe.

In order to purify the cosmos and restore its order, Amma sacrificed another of the Nommo, whose body was cut up and scattered throughout the universe. This distribution of the parts of the Nommo's body is seen as the source for the proliferation of Binu shrines throughout the Dogon region. (This is similar to the story of Isis -- Osiris -- and Horus.)

"The Dogon priests said that Sirius had a companion star that was invisible to the human eye. They also stated that the star moved in a 50-year elliptical orbit around Sirius, that it was small and incredibly heavy, and that it rotated on its axis.

Initially the anthropologists wrote it off publishing the information in an obscure anthropological journal, because they didn't appreciate the astronomical importance of the information.

What they didn't know was that since 1844, astronomers had suspected that Sirius A had a companion star. This was in part determined when it was observed that the path of the star wobbled. In 1862 Alvan Clark discovered the second star making Sirius a binary star system (two stars).

In the 1920's it was determined that Sirius B, the companion of Sirius, was a white dwarf star. White dwarfs are small, dense stars that burn dimly. The pull of its gravity causes Sirius' wavy movement. Sirius B is smaller than planet Earth.

The Dogon name for Sirius B is Po Tolo. It means star - tolo and smallest seed - po. Seed refers to creation. In this case, perhaps human creation.

By this name they describe the star's smallness. It is, they say, the smallest thing there is.

They also claim that it is 'the heaviest star' and is white in color.

The Dogon thus attribute to Sirius B its three principal properties as a white dwarf: small, heavy, white.

Nommo Description

The Dogon elder, Ogotemelli, describes Nommo as having the upper part as a man and the lower portion as snake; or as having a ram's head with serpent body. [Serpent=DNA]

Author Robert Temple describes the Nommo as amphibious beings sent to Earth from the Sirius star system for the benefit of humankind. They look like Merfolk; Mermaids and Mermen. [Metaphor: amphibious - referring to the flow of the collective unconscious - creational source].
Astronomy

The Dogon are famous for their astronomical knowledge taught through oral tradition, dating back thousands of years, referencing the star system, Sirius. Sirius is the dog star. It is linked with the Egyptian goddess Isis. The astronomical information known by the Dogon since that time, was not discovered and verified until the 19th and 20th centuries, making one wonder how the Dogon came by this knowledge. Their oral traditions say it was given to them by the Nommo. The source of their information may date back to the time of the ancient Egyptian priests. "

check them out. there is a lot of information on these great people online.

#240079 - 05/02/07 01:57 PM Re: A few thoughts to consider. [Re: Nemo]
Fagneto Offline
The Weakest Link

Well well Magister sir. You are touching on a very important area of my interests.

yes...I know the third law very well and have very deep thoughts on the matter.

One being "there is no book without a author, no sentence without a writer, no code without a programer"

it is a known fact we are all encoded creatures. The law you throw on the dinner table here is the law that made me first assume we are simple machines. Life, the "cell" is a machine. Even RNA was coded...are we to assume there is no coder?

Now this thought has poped into heads of many "thinkers" but always seems to bring people to some shallow thoughts of "god is real", but Art's third law allows me to consider a few things.

Men often assume us divine in origin (or magical). Well then...its safe to say we may simply be technology. Imagin the worth of a small cell that can reproduce and grow into shapes and forms that will adapt to all parts of a planet...a nice machine indeed. Cold lands? Fine...It will become seals. Hot lands? Fine...camels. So forth, so on.

I can trust that we are robots of a technology highly advanced way faster then I can trust in a real God...truly if there is a "God" it simply is a coder of the machine we may be. Fact remains, DNA is called a Code for more then just "cute slang"...it runs on Ones and Zeros...it communicates and speaks through code. Somthing wrote it...fact point.

Now...lets just say I "assume" you read "The Holographic Universe", and though I have many problems with much of its text...there is some valid idealism inside that book.

I know we are not alone my respected and wise mentor...but I still, for many reasons of science, can not allow a ship to bring Aliens here in my mind...not yet. But I used to think that was the answer.

Anyway....why would you build a life-form (robot) with lucid ability? Well...back to the Holographic Universe...to record, and return information (hey...you know you also read the Rama series...please?)

Ok...Nemo sir? Is it ok if I truly do love you now? We can break up when you say so...but please...I really really am charmed by you and your magic.

Um...again...very tired....very wired.

ps: You scare me.

Edited by Fagneto (05/02/07 02:01 PM)
Edit Reason: Cus I am stupid! OK!!!?

#240080 - 05/02/07 01:58 PM Re: A few thoughts to consider. [Re: Nemo]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
I agree.

It's not easy to think outside the ''box'', even though the ''box'' is just an illusion most of the time.

#240094 - 05/02/07 03:48 PM Re: A few thoughts to consider. [Re: Nemo]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I actually have considered some of those thoughts but not to the degree you have outlined. It truly is difficult at times to disregard these mental Boxes. As always, your input far exceeds that of the many. Thank you for the insights Magister Nemo.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12202 Members
73 Forums
43990 Topics
406088 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements