Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#241399 - 05/09/07 07:03 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
 Quote:
If I come across an anthill, I'm far more likely to spent some time carefully observing it than I am to conquor or destroy it.

Pussy...

;\)

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#241506 - 05/09/07 04:48 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Minus]
Fagneto Offline
The Weakest Link

Loc: CT
Ha!
I am forever in the shadow of my crime, and for that I ask for punishment but only of the level I earned. I ask to not be removed from the place I find truth. I have been a very small creature, and have no excuse.

#241537 - 05/09/07 06:49 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Minus]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
Good one!
Undercroft Sign Up

#241538 - 05/09/07 06:51 PM Historical Documentations. [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Historical documentations, such as the Piri Reis map exist as well.

#241556 - 05/09/07 08:55 PM Re: Historical Documentations. [Re: Unknown]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Unknown
...Piri Reis map....

Here is a Wikipedia article about the Piri Reis map.
Undercroft Sign Up

#241561 - 05/09/07 09:04 PM Re: Extraterrestrial Intelligence [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I have already posted downstairs in some detail with the elements that are far from speculative, but under development.

You are welcome to explore it if you wish.

Beer is fine either way. ;\)

#241577 - 05/09/07 11:13 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

If I come across an anthill, I'm far more likely to spent some time carefully observing it than I am to conquor or destroy it.

I said neither conquer nor destroy.

Would you refuse to build your house on a particular plot of land because some ants were already making an anthill there? I rather doubt it. You likely wouldn't give a damn what the ants are building, you'd put your house where you feel like.

there's no reason to think that other intelligent species, despite their technological sophistication, couldn't be equally philosophically flawed

Despite all the idiot ideas they proclaim to support, I've never seen humans fail to colonize available territory or actually act in any way contrary to their basic biological programming. By humans, I mean the species, not a couple of isolated individuals with flawed cerebral cortices.

Humans colonized the extreme north of Europe, the Sahara desert, isolated Pacific islands, and built a station on Antarctica. We dream of a colony on the moon. We want to live even in places that make little sense to want to live, given the native conditions there, because our colonization urge is so powerful.

Somehow, despite being morons, we still obey the basic biological certainties that are built into any species.

A suitably advanced race would likely have no need to colonise earth.

Did we have any need to live in the tundra and desert, or cross the Bering Strait, or paddle across vast ocean distances in a kayak just to get on a tiny little island? We did it anyway. Biology has this funny way of trumping logic no matter how smart the person is, hence why there are a bunch of pretty smart people who nevertheless eat sugar and fat until they bloat up and die.

#241580 - 05/09/07 11:47 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Darxyd Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KS, USA
First off, it is VERY likely that other lifeforms exist of other planets in the known universe. Even random chance in chaos gives in to the statistical percentages on that one. The problem truly exists in this:
If you take the relative age of the known universe and relative age of the planet Earth, you'll find that our planet is not one of the last heavenly bodies to develop but closer to the earlier rounds of nebular creation. Then take into account the time frame it takes for any lifeforms to develop on a planet and then evolve to the point of becoming the dominant species on the planet. What you have left over is this--It is highly probably that intellegent lifeforms exist on other planets in the universe, but it is also highly probably that most of them are either around the same technological level we are (more or less) or they are stuck in developmental stasis (Dinosaurs with no comets or ice age; or a society with little innovation to progress technologically--like American Indians remaining a stone age culture up until the Europeans dropped in.)

Edited by Darxyd (05/09/07 11:48 PM)

#243533 - 05/17/07 12:41 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Exanimus]
Anya Offline

NASA plans to launch the Kepler mission in 2008. The goal of this mission is not only to detect Earth-sized planets but also to detect light from the planet so that it may be studied spectroscopically.
Bullshit aside, w/ this knowledge we may be able to determine the likelihood of life being found on other planets.
Personally I believe extraterrestrials do exist. To think that Earth is the only planet bearing life is absurd. We are a small piece of a large puzzle that we don't use enough brain power to put together..lol
When we come across this information ( giggles to self ) imagine how innate most people will feel?

#245931 - 05/29/07 02:40 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TheAbysmal Offline

Unless, we are the aliens…

In the same vein that it could be unlikely for intelligent alien life to resemble us at all, it could be equally likely that we are a grand experiment of our own race. Think about it. Perhaps there is a technologically and superior and more evolved humanoid race who has evolved and colonized some planet parecs away from Earth. In an effort to more fully understand its own evolution, it somehow fertilized Earth with we humans to watch us grow as might you an aquarium of sea monkeys.

Somehow, I can see us conducting a similar experiment in the not too distant future.

Refuse to die.

#245958 - 05/29/07 05:39 PM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Marianne Offline

Loc: N.Ireland
Personally I think that if there are any other intelligent lifeforms or 'aliens' existing in the cosmos, they hopefully have the sense not to come anywhere near humans...for their sake.

Hail Satan!

M

People = Shit

#246016 - 05/30/07 12:52 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheAbysmal]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Other than science fiction hilarity, what is the purpose of such a far fetched claim, especially with no evidence to back it?

Also, see my post. Given the apparent scarcity of habitable real estate within driving distance, why would a really smart race use an entire planet for a 4 billion year science experiment instead of just moving in themselves? That doesn't sound very smart to me.

Also, your claim is fundamentally at odds with evolutionary theory, so unless you can resolve it with the amassed evidence that strongly favors evolution by natural selection as the origin of man (or actually prove that the theory is entirely wrong), the notion that we were planted here by a race that fundamentally resembles us is not logical (i.e., the alleged master race planting us here would have apparently started us from scratch as single celled organisms and manipulated evolution until we resembled them 4 billion years later).

Your notion, while quaint, is identical in every fundamental way to Christian creationism, with the aliens substituted for Yahweh.

#246022 - 05/30/07 01:37 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada

#246040 - 05/30/07 06:21 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: TheNaturalForce]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Last night on national geographic there was a show on about the crash at Roswell, while it is a possibility that something may have crashed there that was extraterrestrial, it is highly improbable. They talked about how they salvaged pieces from the crash, that it was "made of an indestructable material". Now, I'm no rocket scientist but it seems that if it was made of something indestructable then it wouldn't have been able to crash in the first place-.

#246049 - 05/30/07 07:56 AM Re: ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence [Re: Mr Sam]
Brotus_Heimdal Offline

Loc: Danmark
What are whales talking about?

I read this in a MAD magazine. They are talking about how messed up their situation is. Due to overfishing and pollution there is no food for them in the sea and every time they try to get on land humans push them back into the water, sealing the doom of their species evolution.

Beside that i think they talk about the same as everybody else, global warming and the ridiculous prices on oil.
EDIT: whoops, i hadnt read the whole thread.
Whoa the whales talk was on page 5, i hadnt seen that there was 10 pages in this thread, sorry bout that. please ignore.

Edited by Brotus_Heimdal (05/30/07 08:01 AM)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12280 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404439 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements