Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24054 - 02/02/04 09:07 AM St Valentines Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok just because its only 12 days away does not stop people over here getting the cards and chocolates out.

But why do celebrate this day when on the same day back in the 30's Al Capone and his gang killed a load of people in Chicago?

Have people just forgotten that?, they probably have cos it ain't important any more.

In any case do we really need a holiday made for no real reason? I don't think so.

Sorry i'm just ranting its just I hate february and march but not april cos its my birthday on the 9th of April.

#24055 - 02/02/04 09:35 AM Re: St Valentines Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

But why do celebrate this day when on the same day back in the 30's Al Capone and his gang killed a load of people in Chicago?

Because Valentines Day represents indulgence... It is a day where people indulge in their lustful desires, and the air is filled with romance. As far as Al Capone killing people on that day, my response is so what? If some one kills people on April Fools Day, does that mean we should stop celebrating that day?
I welcome Valentines Day. It's the only day I can get by with giving cards to women I lust after, and not have to hear my wife bitch about it.

#24056 - 02/02/04 09:35 AM Re: St Valentines Day
Bumbly3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Midlands UK
I can think of a couple of reasons to celebrate Valentines Day. If it's your birthday on February 14th. Or if you own a florists, run a card factory or any other profession where this date means fleecing the sheep to make a profit.

After all if you love some one, why just show it on one day in the year. What's wrong with showing it all the time.

#24057 - 02/02/04 09:41 AM Re: St Valentines Day [Re: Bumbly3]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

After all if you love some one, why just show it on one day in the year. What's wrong with showing it all the time.

I agree, but human beings don't think of that. It is the same with Mothers Day, Fathers Day, and Thanksgiving. These are so they don't feel guilty for not doing it all year.

#24058 - 02/02/04 11:49 AM Re: St Valentines Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahh well fair point...if only i had someone to send a valentines card to...or someone to send me one...thats probably why i'm so bitter.

Ahh well

#24059 - 02/02/04 12:26 PM Re: St Valentines Day
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
The best reason I can think of to celebrate Valentines day is my lovely wifes smile at the flowers chocolate and jewelry.
Yes,Bumbly we're back together.

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#24060 - 02/02/04 12:32 PM Re: St Valentines Day
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Valentine's Day is for girls .

That would be my opinion.

#24061 - 02/02/04 12:51 PM Re: St Valentines Day [Re: Bumbly3]
Bedrosian Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Finland
I agree. I celebrate my carnal desires every single day. I indulge in lustful sins often enough. I have a similar view of Valentine's Day as I do with "Christ-mess." The sheep need it, not I. I can't blame anyone for indulging in festivities, but personally I feel that I do it without the calender telling me so.

Exactly. I think my partner is quite aware that I love her.. Making her feel like my Queen is everyday business, it's not a seasonal thing.

#24062 - 02/02/04 01:37 PM Re: St Valentines Day [Re: Prince_Satanicus]
Bumbly3 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Midlands UK
Good. Does this mean I can stop sticking pins into effigies of your in-laws now?

Joking aside I wish you and your lovely wife all the happiness in the world.

#24063 - 02/02/04 02:48 PM Re: St Valentines Day [Re: Bumbly3]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
You may poke effigies of my in laws whenever you wish. Thanks

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#24064 - 02/02/04 03:34 PM Re: St Valentines Day
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recommend you send out a few cards then. If that does not work, send out a few more. Valentine's Day does not have to be February 14 for you.

#24065 - 02/02/04 04:10 PM Re: St Valentines Day
Mistress Noel Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Where streams of silver flow a...
I can't speak for other countries, but the United States has turned St. Valentine's Day into a reason for lovers to indulge in one another, financially and sexually. What I find absurd is that the majority of humans need to designate a day for this. They are so wrapped up in their mundane lives that they fail to indulge in these important things on a regular basis. Hell, they fail to indulge period. But this is one of the issues that set's us apart from the herd, is it not?

As a Satanist I enjoy indulging in my mate(s) on a regular basis. We spend money on one another, do kind things for each other, and share intimacy on several levels -- all from one day to the next. There is no need for us to go out in February and buy each other stuffed animals and pink heart-shaped boxes of chocolate.

This "Valentine's Day" has become another way for businesses to make money off of the masses. I don't feel a need to feed into that. My needs are constantly being filled by myself and those I hold close to me. So it continues ... just one more silly holiday to be tolerated and smile at. These poor saps don't know what they are missing by limiting themselves to one select day of intimate indulgence.

Funny though ... I don't think I'd have it any other way.

#24066 - 02/02/04 05:09 PM Re: St Valentines Day
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
We celebrate because we can.

Bad history isn't going to stop people from celebrating anything. There was an accident on my town the night of the Fourth of July. Seven dead immigrant workers aren't going to stop the fireworks.

So why be so glum? Maybe you'll be happier when you have a lovely woman (man?) to celebrate with.

Sit back, have a cup of joe, and just watch the wheels go round. Life shouldn't be so complicated.

#24067 - 02/02/04 05:28 PM Re: St Valentines Day
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

In any case do we really need a holiday made for no real reason? I don't think so.

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/valentine/history.html

As you see, it wasn't "made for no reason" as you suggest.

It's a Christian thing.

Of course, if you open up a Catholic book of saints, nearly every day has its own patron saint. Like, my birthday, July 22, is the feast-day of St Mary Magdalene (yes, the Catholic church officially recognises her as the partron saint of repentant prostitutes).

Personally, I agree with most people saying that celebrating your love for another person should be a year-long thing with no days restricting it, but having a day set aside to do something extra special can be fun if one doesn't stress about it.

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

“One of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.”
- Zack de la Rocha

#24068 - 02/02/04 05:31 PM Re: St Valentines Day
Srpntvsn Offline
CoS Member

Loc: CA
A Bleeding Hearts Club, or just another reason for mass consumerism, or just another conditioned dictation to when and how "lovers" should spend their time, attention, affection, and money?

So many just go through the motions on an annual and everyday basis, lacking the proper spark of creativity and/or expression. Only to rely upon a systematic reminder marked on their calendars.

"Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them."

"I hate victims who respect their executioners."

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."

- Sarte

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12085 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405444 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements