Topic Options
#24095 - 02/02/04 02:17 PM Pentagonal Revision and Robotics
Basil_theOgre Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi All. This is my first post on LttD, I've been reading for about a week.

I am wondering about how vigorously the CoS pursues the goals of Pentagonal Revisionism.
    My three questions are:
  • Are there any branches/grottos with measurable plans towards achieving Dr. LaVey's goals?
  • Is there a medium for updating members regarding the progress of Pentagonal Revision?
    And, more importantly (because it's important to ME),
  • are there any CoS members with any influence in the field of Robotics?

I am a scientific tech. looking for meaningful (and of course GAINful) employment. I have several years of robotics experience, I'm superhumanly quick, intelligent, and passionate about technology and robotics in general. My weakness right now is a lack of network or any contacts in the field of robotics.
Now, I'm not under any illusion that the CoS has some secret Robot Research Facility in the Virgin Islands, or that the CoS has some kind of Masonic-brotherhood network of influential Robotic Scientists willing to accept anyone who flashes their Baphomet tattoo. However, if we (Satanists) DO have tangible plans to further Dr. LaVey's goals of revision, and if we DO have members working in the field of Robotics, I'd like to know how to hook-up with these people. I'd like to offer my skills and passion, in exchange of course for some good pay and rewarding work.
Thanks in advance to anyone here that can point me to the answers to my three questions.

#24096 - 02/02/04 04:34 PM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Basil_theOgre]
ChrisRedstar Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: In Transit
All the subjects you are talking about, including the field of Artificial Human Companions, are discussed in the CoS Members Only Section on this board and in Special Interest Groups of the Church of Satan. Without becoming a member, I highly doubt, that you will receive any information of value, regarding these things.
BTW: I just noticed, that the CoS Members Only Section is now larger, than the whole of the public forums on this board.
Seems like the elite has realy some things to talk about, without being watched by just anybody.
What was the favorite sentence of our good Rev. Ventrue?
Membership does have itīs privileges.

Hail Satan
Chris Redstar

#24097 - 02/02/04 04:37 PM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
Welcome aboard!

I suggest you look into the Church of Satan's Special Interest Groups (SIGs). I imagine there is a place for a person with your talents. You must, however, be at least a Registered Member.

Check the Church of Satan's affiliation page for more information.

#24098 - 02/02/04 04:47 PM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Wonka]
Blackheart Offline
CoS Member

Loc: England
Quote:

You must, however, be registered as an Active Member.

Just a small correction - you don't have to be an active member to participate in the SIGs, just a registered member.

#24099 - 02/02/04 06:41 PM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Basil_theOgre Offline

Thanx all, and boo hoo. I only just recently "discovered" that I was a Satanist. Like most people, I thought Satanism was, you know, all those things it isn't... A friend pointed me to the CoS website last year as a joke. Imagine my surprise to find out I wasn't the only one who wishes stupidity was painful. Turns out all the things I've always thought about the world aren't original. Turns out this guy called Anton thought exactly the same things, and decided to write this book called The Satanic Bible. Turns out I was Satan all along... who knew?
Anyhow, I ramble, probably out of some conceited wish to see my own words in print, and the point of the matter is that I'm not yet a Church of Satan member. I was hoping I'd still be able to get some useful networking info though, so if anyone has anything they can share with me outside the "Members Only" section, I'd appreciate it.
Again, thanx for the replys so far. It's nice to hear intelligent 'chat' on a forum for once.

#24100 - 02/02/04 09:02 PM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Basil_theOgre]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I was hoping I'd still be able to get some useful networking info though

It doesn't quite work like that.

You'll do more for the Pentagonal Revision program in your capacity as a roboticist, than you will in your capacity as a Satanist. And a Satanist interested in investing in this field, would sooner go to professionals with established credentials, regardless of religion, than to a stranger on the Internet who expressed an interest in it. For these reasons, you're likely to find out more about funding for the crafting of artificial human companions in circles of professional robotics, than in Satanic forums.

With that said, if you had some already-existing knowledge you could contribute to a report or article, or some proposal for a specific project, you may get some use out of the Special Interest Groups.

#24101 - 02/03/04 03:11 AM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: reprobate]
Basil_theOgre Offline

um... what about "it" doesn't work like what? Are you saying that Satanists, as a group, can't be used as a networking resource? I'm not looking for "funding", simply employment. And I'm not relying purely on my claimed religious beliefs to get it. And I couldn't care less about what religion my employer happens to believe in. I merely thought that since the Church of Satan has expressed a desire to further the development of artificial human companions, that Satanists, or more specifically CoS members, may have some contacts in the field of robotics they'd be willing to share with me. As I said in my original post, I don't expect some Robotics firm to simply hire me sight-unseen solely on the basis of my being a Satanist. Also, this is the second or third post I've seen that has refered me to the SIGs, but I've yet to hear anyone NAME the SIG which is persuing research into AHCs, or even if one exists. That, you see, would be useful info. Opinions on how I should be conducting my job search are not.

Let me restate my request:
If you know someone or some group working in the field of robotics, be they Satanist or Christian or Jew, and are willing to help me get in touch with them, let me know.
Simple as that.
If not, click "Back", and read something else. I'm not soliciting opinions. I didn't ask for advice.

p.s. Sincere thanx again for those that suggest I seek Registered Member status in order to gain access to the Members Only section of Lttd (if in fact there IS useful info there...). Regardless, if and when I do become a member, I'll be sure to check it out.

#24102 - 02/03/04 04:06 AM Using Satanists. [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Generally we hire technicians to create what is desired as desired. As technology grows it is, indeed, a pleasure to devise new orders to be filled.

There are many of us in postitions of some power who enjoy the benefits of both worlds - the autonomy of a Satanist and the support of the oblivious non-Satanist.

Robotics? The fastest advances are now coming from behind closed doors in the nano field. You might wish to tap on the door of the Foresight Institute very politely. Much is happening. Little is openly discussed with outsiders.

Networking?

Why, my friend, I thought you knew the secret revealed so many years ago in the "Dear Abby" advice column. When asked if it was who you know or what you know that matters in life, Abby wrote:

"Neither. It is whom you know."

Demands for attention are sometimes granted ... but not always as the demander expected.

Courtesy is the grease which smoothly turns the wheels of civilized conduct.

Just a hint.

#24103 - 02/03/04 08:15 PM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
I think it would be safe to assume that there is an AHC SIG, considering it is one of Satanism's main goals.

Unfortunate for you, gaining more information on projects or Members involved would be unlikely considering your position. Privacy is always an issue.

Maybe a few Members could direct you to something general like other organizations or books of interest, but it wouldn't be impossible to search for that on your own. AHC could easily fall under the topics of AI or androids.

#24104 - 02/03/04 08:30 PM Not The Reason To Join [Re: Basil_theOgre]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
p.s. Sincere thanx again for those that suggest I seek Registered Member status in order to gain access to the Members Only section of Lttd (if in fact there IS useful info there...)

Whoa! Settle down there! From what I've read, nobody here told you to become a Registered Member in order to gain access to the Members Only section. If you truly believe that was what they were saying, you should definitely re-read those posts. The people who mentioned Registered Membership to you only stated that you must be a member to have access to the information you seek that exists in the Members Only section, NOT that you should register for the sole reason of obtaining said information.

Registering with The Church of Satan should be a offering of respect to one of the most feared and important organizations in the world, and in order to affiliate yourself with like minded, progressive, productive people. Gaining access to the Members Only section (let alone just one specific thread) is most certainly never the reason to become a Registered Member.

#24105 - 02/04/04 01:27 AM Re: Pentagonal Revision and Robotics [Re: Wonka]
Roxxxadelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
There are a number of resources out there for people interested in Robotics, that don't require access to the CoS members forum. You just have to decide what kind of work in that direction brings you joy... and then do that work.

Personally, I joined the Seattle Robotics Society in 198mumble, and attended a university specializing in Robotics, working in their robotics department (Carnegie Mellon).

As you're in Calgary, I'd point you to the Western Canada Robotics Society. There you'll likely be able to meet other creative people there interested in the field.

I found myself, that these robotics groups divided into 4 types of people. The fathers with their children, using robotics as a fun educational way to interact with their children. The engineers, using robotics as an interesting engineering problem. The artists, who build robotic art. And the driven roboticists, who work in the field driven by something inside them.

I found that the artists, and the driven roboticists the only two groups I really associated with well, the rest were rather boring (I'm rather driven. I started as a young child)

I guess us real roboticists are born, not made...

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements