Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24400 - 02/07/04 12:14 AM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: Redhead]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Growing up in communism meant religion was out of public life

That's true I some way... But Communism is just another form of religion. Saints and Deities were substituted by worship of the Almighty State and "the martyrs of the Revolution". Religious holidays were substituted by "Red Sunday" "Voluntary work day" and other “mass activity” rituals. Religious brainwashing was substituted by equally mind-numbing indoctrination where people were taught "individualism" and "egotism" was the worse possible sins. Individual thought was discouraged and even punished.

As in any religion, people were taught since their infancy that their objective in life was to sacrifice themselves for a “higher power”.

In the same way Christians are supposed to suffer in order to reach paradise after death, Communists were supposed to work and sacrifice for the good of the collectivity without receiving any personal gain. Their prize would be a future Utopia, which looked curiously close to the one painted on those Jehovah Witness pamphlets.

So the difference is just cosmetic. There is nothing closer to religious fundamentalism than political totalitarism.

#24401 - 02/07/04 02:04 AM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
What you cannot do mundanely you might try doing magically. I imagine a destruction ritual might do the trick, if worked correctly. I mean, Perhaps it would be "God's Will" for her house to somehow catch on fire, her car cease to work, and somehow she loses all of her money saved in the bank. It might seem a bit cruel, and I have been in a rather hateful mood as of late, and I don't like putting up with bullshit like that. I would try to mess her life up so badly that she would either be out of work for a good while, or she would realize that there are greater forces working within the community that are clearly against her. But that is just me.

#24402 - 02/07/04 03:17 AM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: Scratch]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would let the teacher know that what she is doing is not appropriate for your children.

If you don't want people to know that you don't believe in their god it would be easy enough to avoid trouble with this: Tell them it is YOUR place as their father to instruct them in religious matters-not hers.

Teachers should NOT preach. Rather, they should respond with "go ask your mother", etc. Most teachers I know do say such things. Then again, I live in a very culturally diverse area. Wow, there would be such an outrage if a teacher taught "Jesus loves Me" to a class in my area. The teacher's job would be in jeopardy.

However, it is 'okay' for a teacher to teach units on various cultures which may include lessons on religious celebrations/customs. That's a different matter altogether, though. In this case, the teacher is teaching about a culture-not advocating a religion. So, yes, even in a music class, I think it is appropriate for a teacher to bring in religious music as a study-not a morality lesson. She would be wise to have a diverse study though-otherwise it would appear that she is advocating just one particular religion.

#24403 - 02/08/04 08:01 PM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: Foxy_Ramirez]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

What you cannot do mundanely you might try doing magically. I imagine a destruction ritual might do the trick, if worked correctly. I mean, Perhaps it would be "God's Will" for her house to somehow catch on fire, her car cease to work, and somehow she loses all of her money saved in the bank. It might seem a bit cruel, and I have been in a rather hateful mood as of late, and I don't like putting up with bullshit like that. I would try to mess her life up so badly that she would either be out of work for a good while, or she would realize that there are greater forces working within the community that are clearly against her. But that is just me.

I agree and I'm way ahead of you, but remember, magic demands action as a catalyst for change.

#24404 - 02/10/04 04:02 PM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The school that my kids go to is a public school. I want my kids to go to a school where they don't have to be pressured into believing something they don't wish to believe in.

unfortunately i dont think you will find too many schools that will grant kids free will and let them think for themselves...maybe a few teachers in a few certain classes at a few certain schools.. why, when i was in school i got in trouble for not standing and saying the pledge of allegiance...i was kicked out of class numerous times and even had to serve detentions.. 3 years i was in highschool..we NEVER said the pledge..then 9/11 happened and all of a sudden it was the most important thing to do..but i was punished for my beliefs.. and i was 17 years old! its sad but about the only thing schools/teachers do for kids is conform, brainwash and grade papers.

#24405 - 02/10/04 05:52 PM Re: The Public School of Christ
Anonymous
Unregistered

Public school is for me, interesting. How about staying in the same area for all time. No, it just means I prefer private schools. I plan on having lots O' kids. So they should have a place were they can enjoy their creative talents and grow up in peace.

#24406 - 02/10/04 11:05 PM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Nothing a lil talking behind her back can't fix. Xians believe every word they here to be truth and never doubt it until they are given a reason to. Sow the seeds of doubt among her co-workers and church friends, they are easy to manipulate, if they are pretty much the average human.

#24407 - 02/13/04 12:02 AM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: Josephine007]
SeeTheDark Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Somewhere...
Quote:

I know there is a Christian religion...somebody help me here...the 7th Day Adventists? The Mormons? Something like that....that are pretty opposed to any religion in school as well. I recal something along the lines of they opposed mandatory pledge of allegiance because to them the flag was a graven image and one was not to worship ANY graven image. I can't recall which denomination it was but there ARE xian groups that oppose religion in schools. Perhaps you could dig into that a little.

I know this is funny, well at least it is to me, but I read about this very topic last semester..
I'm pretty sure that the group you're mentioning are the Jehovah's Witnesses...
The premise behind their argument was that it was against their religion to worship an idol "the flag", by pledging undying allegience to it every morning.
Quote:

Please don't raise another generation of rebels without a clue.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Test Everything, Believe Nothing.
http://www.vampiretemple.com

#24408 - 02/13/04 03:49 AM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: SeeTheDark]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
I'm pretty sure that the group you're mentioning are the Jehovah's Witnesses...

That sounds about right! Thank you!

#24409 - 02/13/04 05:29 AM Re: The Public School of Christ [Re: SeeTheDark]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
If you ever entered a Jehovahs witness kingdom hall you will find no crosses or pictures of christ or anything that could possibly be a "graven" image. They are very fanatical about that.

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406071 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements