Topic Options
#246536 - 06/02/07 03:40 AM A question on the Church of Satan's legal status
Alzir Offline

I'm trying to find some information on the Church of Satan's legal status in the UK. Do members have the same legal rights to practice their "religion" (I'm sorry if anyone takes offence to it being called a religion) as Christians or Catholics etc?

Let me start with a bit of background to why I'm asking. I work in a Mental Health rehabilitation unit and each of our clients have a number of Care Plans. One of our clients Care Plans states that he is not allowed access to any Satanist material, but I know that legally we are not allowed to stop anyone from following their religion, so are we breaking the law by stopping him from following Satanism?

The problem I have is that I'm not to sure whether Satanism is covered by this law, and if it is, I need to get some solid evidence of that fact so I can confront the unit manager. The entire staff at the unit are Christian (apart from me), so I'm sure they have a few prejudices against Satanism and probably think followers go around sacrificing virgins or some other rubbish.

At the moment, this client is going to a Christian church, but I can tell he's not really interested in it and I feel he's only going because the staff have told him to.

If anyone has any information that could help it would be greatly appreciated, and if you need any more details about the situation please post them here and I'll get back to you.

#246539 - 06/02/07 04:49 AM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Alzir]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Well, I think this needs to be answered by a lawyer, or at the least a British Satanist.

However, having some knowledge of American law, I can state with some certainty that this wouldn't fly in an American court.

On the other hand, I think you'll find that Satanists have little interest in what mental patients have or have not, so this is probably a point of purely academic interest.

#246627 - 06/02/07 03:13 PM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Alzir]
deadlandshark Offline

Only moderators and members of the Priesthood may respond to questions. All others will be deleted.

Edited by LeviathanXIII (06/02/07 04:30 PM)

#246652 - 06/02/07 06:42 PM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Alzir Offline

Thank you for your reply. I will see if I can find someone in the UK who could help me with this, although hopefully there might be some UK members who use this forum.

Just so I understand correctly, when you said "this wouldn't fly in an American court" do you mean an American court wouldn't uphold their decision to ban our client from viewing Satanist material?

One last thing that I think I should clarify. I wouldn't class the client in question as a "mental patient", not because of political correctness, but because he has a very mild form of learning disability, and apart from a slight stutter you wouldn't even know he had any kind of problem if you met him on the street. I don't want you to think I was talking about someone who needs to be in a padded cell with a straight jacket.

However, I am suprised you feel Satanists would have little interest. I would have thought that most Satanists would not like the thought of a group of Christians forcing a Satanist to give up his beliefs and go to a Christian church.

#246654 - 06/02/07 06:58 PM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Alzir]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
If his condition is so mild, why is he in a rehab unit?

We're not that excited about having convicts or people with "institutional" issues on our side, for obvious reasons.

Satanism is not a missionary religion.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#246659 - 06/02/07 07:43 PM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Alzir]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Svengali answered that part of your question adequately, so to answer the other:

What I meant by "that wouldn't fly in America" is that if the client or his family chose to sue over this, they would most likely win.

#246705 - 06/03/07 05:33 AM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Alzir]
LTalionis Offline

CoS Magister

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

#247477 - 06/07/07 03:58 PM Re: A question on the Church of Satan's legal status [Re: Svengali]
Alzir Offline

Thank you LeviathanXIII and Svengali for you help. I hope to persue this matter further over here to find out if the UK law differs to that in the US.

In answer to your question, Svengali, the reason he's in a rehab unit is to fully recover so he can leave and get a place of his own, a job, etc. The problem is that there is a great stigma attached to mental health where people think that just because they've stayed in a mental hospital that they must be a crazy psychopath or something, when really it's no different to going to a regular hospital.

The reason for his admission in the first place was a combination of things. First there is his medical condition, which is Autistic disorder, and while some people would dismiss the autistic as people who can't make a contribution to society it's interesting to note that among the people who it is claimed have suffered with this condition are people like Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, George Orwell and Bill Gates. Putting personal issues aside, they certainly wouldn't be considered "psychos".

The second issue is his parenting. His parents were not good people, they were drug addicts that got him hooked on drugs, they also badly abused him. This was a long time ago now, and he is completely clean. I have read the reports from back when he was in the Childrens' hospital and he has made a great deal of progress, which is why he's in a rehab unit now.

The other reason for his admission was Satanism. While I wasn't there at the time, I could imagine how they concluded that he MUST be mentally unstable if he's a Satanist, only a someone with bad mental problems could turn to Satanism. But in my opinion, I can clearly see why someone who was taken advantage of and abused, even by his own parents, who should be people you can trust, would turn to the philosophy of Satanism. Although I'm no expert on Satanism, but I can see how it tells individuals to put themselves first, and if all you've known from other people is abuse I can see how that could be appealing.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406071 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements